[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I dont understand I'm level 21, something like 63%
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
So, I dont understand

I'm level 21, something like 63% complete with 3 hours in the game, and apparently I beat it?

Once I learned how to transform as a bat, I went through the clock tower and to the broken bridge, flew up the gap, and fought Belmont...

Credits roll, no end-credits scene, nothing...
>>
>>3155043
Get ready for a lot of people to laugh and get mad at you. Also leave now if you don't want to be spoiled.
>>
Equip the Gold and Silver rings in the clock room.
>>
Maybe your time would be better spent trying to find the 37% of the game that you obviously fucking missed rather than coming here and crying to us about how fucking stupid you are?
>>
>>3155060

Except I wasn't expecting a boss fight, actually.

In retrospect, maybe I should have, since the room above the hall before the boss had a ton of health and buff items, but still.
>>
>>3155060
Don't you mean 138%?
>>
>>3155043
You got the bogus ending. Try >>3155056
>>
File: missy.png (440 KB, 462x575) Image search: [Google]
missy.png
440 KB, 462x575
This gets almost everyone who goes into the game blind without looking up guides.

I feel for the Belmont bad ending, but I figured out the clock room thing on my own, felt good. Kind of Zelda-ish puzzle situation where you have to use one of your items to find a secret, and it makes sense.

Anyway, the one actual part I got stuck in and I remember making a thread for and everyone laughed at me for not knowing about an item I was supposed to find, was when I got the bat form, I immediately went to that one tower corridor that's has spikes on the ceiling and floor, I believe it was the one where you fight Maria (thought this may be only on Saturn/PSP versions). I thought getting the bat form was enough but at the end of the corridor there was a door, which I couldn't open due to being a bat, when I transformed back to Alucard I'd get hurt and throw back.
I remember making a thread asking what was I supposed to do, and while everyone was laughing at me about not having the special boots that let you walk over spikes, I suddenly could open the door, I just bruteforced Alucard through the door, like I turned into human form and immediately kept mashing the button to go through, and I made it. So I kind of sequence-broke a part without actually knowing it.

I didn't use a guide for any part of the game except for the last 10% or so of the map. Actually not a guide, just checking full 200.6% clear maps and finding which little corner I was missing. I don't think I'm going to do that again on future playthroughs though.
>>
Yeah you're going to have to complete the ceiling part of the game, you still have 137% to beat. Or Maybe I have the wrong game...
>>
>>3155250
>, I just bruteforced Alucard through the door, like I turned into human form and immediately kept mashing the button to go through, and I made it. So I kind of sequence-broke a part without actually knowing it.
I also did this though it seemed like it was bat form to mist form

>tfw spike breaker boots + wolf form
>>
OP here. Found the Silver ring. This game is fun, but kinda easy. Maybe I'm overleveled, but bosses aint shit.
>>
>>3155628
Stop dungeon crawling and fight the bosses at a lower level.
>>
>>3155685

I think that's what I'll have to do. The Succubus hit me once for fucking 4 damage.
>>
>>3155705
Too late. The game is unbalanced as fuck. You're going to be overleveled no matter what you do.
>>
>>3155628

The game is just generally really really easy, just well-designed and fun. Only real way to get challenge out of it is to gimp yourself on gear and leveling.
>>
In the second castle now. I always knew it was a thing, but always thought it was a NewGame+ sorta of deal, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

The clock tower is a pain in the dick, even upsidedown, but I got the medusahead shield, apparently, so I guess I'm not turning to stone anymore.
>>
>>3155250
Yeah I sequence broke that door too on my first playthrough, though IIRC I did it with the fog and not the bat.

If you try hard enough Alucard will bounce back in a certain way that will open the door.

IIRC I did it by taking out the shield at the same time as transforming from fog to normal at the same time as getting hit by the spike, really close to the door.

The one thing I didn't figure out is that in the caves you have to bait the barrel throwing skeleton into exploding the bridge.

So due to my sequence break I was able to go to the reverted castle without ever going to the part below the bridge in the cave, I actually went through its reverted counterpart first.
>>
>>3155628
Symphony is a notoriously easy game, there's a cornucopia of items and methods which completely breaks the tenuous gameplay balance in half.

It's a very fun game, but the general consensus is that it becomes a total cake walk after your first playthrough (and even during, it doesn't take a lot of thinking to figure out ways to give yourself a massive advantage).

If you like the game but think it's too easy, check out the GBA titles, they're way more balanced and better made, Circle Of The Moon in particular is very challenging, Dracula is probably one of the most difficult final bosses I've ever fought, you can't just grind up and hope to best him by numbers, you have to be fucking GOOD to beat Dracula in this game.
>>
>>3156592
>CotM Drac
>Hard

Wut, it's goddamn easy to beat even when you're underleveled and all of his attack can be completely avoided by super jumping until you hit the ceiling and keeping up until his attack script ends, go down, whack him rinse and repeat.
>>
>>3156601
>>3156592

Considering picking them up

How are the DS titles?

I'll probably play them close to release order, but I'm curious.

On a bit of a Castlevania kick
>>
File: themariarenards.jpg (50 KB, 380x420) Image search: [Google]
themariarenards.jpg
50 KB, 380x420
Maria is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>3156978
They're ok-good, this is coming from someone who considers SOTN one of the best games of all-time.

The DS castlevanias each have their own gimmick, which doesn't usually detract from gameplay, but can be a bit annoying(drawing "magic circles", controlling two characters at once, an "energy" bar).

Also the first two have an anime style, and while not bad, it just doesn't feel as good as the gothic-styled alucard and co.

TL;DR:
Play them all, in order of release. But know that for one reason or another, none of these games quite reach that golden peak known as sotn.
>>
>>3156978

The DS titles are all good, Portrait of Ruin in particular has one of the coolest final battles of all time in my opinion. Just don't listen to all the people who tell you that Order of Ecclesia is the best, it's really really average with only one memorable boss.
>>
>>3157058
Dawn of Scribbling on the Touchscreen: I'm a Shit Version of Aria Edition, more like.

Portrait of Rehashed Areas: The Shallow as Fuckening, more like.
>>
>>3157276
The only rehashed area is the pyramid, the other places only share graphics.
>>
File: mariadxx.jpg (150 KB, 460x990) Image search: [Google]
mariadxx.jpg
150 KB, 460x990
>>3156996
Loli Maria > Adult Maria
>>
File: CHARLOTTE.jpg (543 KB, 850x1416) Image search: [Google]
CHARLOTTE.jpg
543 KB, 850x1416
>>3157307
Excuse me but CHARLOTTE! is best Castlevania girl.
>>
>>3157342
>that shortskirt
What a slut.
>>
Has anyone tried this rebalance of SotN?
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/80-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-hardtype/

I'd certainly like the game to be harder than it is but the fact that it's on a site called 'Insane Difficulty' suggests it might go too far in the other direction and turn it in to tiresome masochism-focussed bullshit. If that's the case I'd rather not waste my time finding a compatible rip.

Finished all of the 2D games (Haunted Castle aside, fuck that) without much sweat so I'm not scared of a challenge but fan patches have a tendency to get a bit silly.
>>
>>3156601
I never thought to superjump, quite honestly. I guess I'll try that next time.

>>3156978
They're all pretty good, if you like Symphony, you'll like the GBA and DS titles. As stated, the DS titles each have kind of a forced gimmick (because that was Nintendo's logic with the DS back then "we worked hard on this touch screen and you'll use it!")
Note that if you have the Aria Of Sorrow GB cart inserted while playing Dawn Of Sorrow, you'll unlock some little bonuses.

These games all offer a lot more challenge, each of them featuring some kind of hardmode, as well as boss rush or other challenges.
You can still shift the balance and difficulty to some degrees, but not even close to as much as with Symphony, the rapid strike wind sword is only available as an unlockable from beating boss rush fast enough, rather than being dropped by a mook enemy, and it's nerfed in damage.

>>3157276
It's really just "If you liked Aria, here's more of that but flashier and with a few DS gimmicks" which I'm kind of fine with.
>>
>the game is too easy
It really is, but was it rebalanced in the US version to be easier?
I had the japanese version as a kid, and it was really hard. I mean sure, I was a kid, but even after I emulated the JP version a couple years back, it wasn't piss easy.
When I emulated the english version though, I just skimmed through it because most enemies and even bosses barely did me any damage.
>>
>>3157754
>if you have the Aria Of Sorrow GB cart inserted while playing Dawn Of Sorrow, you'll unlock some little bonuses.

That's good to know. I have a phatty and a Lite lying about someplace.
>>
>>3157342

What is this fashion/style of clothing called?
>>
>>3157772
Wait... WAIT... There's a difference in difficulty between regions in SotN? If I've been playing ezmodo all these years I'm going to flip tables.
>>
>>3157828
There is not.
>>
Not OP, but I just started my first play through about an hour ago after beating Rondo earlier. BOY OH BOY does this feel worse. Granted, the animations do look miles better but it feels really floaty.
>>
>>3155043

Yep you sure beat that game!
>>
>>3157931

I'm actually in the second castle now. Have all 5 treasures and now I'm exploring some more. Just got Alucard's sword.
>>
>>3157058
Dude Ecclesia is fucking amazing.

It was actually difficult for once. Like you can't just beat that game by spamming the attack button. The art, the music, everything bout that game was top notch!
>>
>>3157828
That's what I was asking.
Japanese version was harder from my memory, but I can't rely on that. Which is why I'm asking for an actual confirmation
>>
>>3158090
It's not.
>>
>>3157938
About bosses being easy, there's just a single boss that everyone seems to have a little trouble with. It'll become quite clear after 30 seconds who this boss is, and it's not the final boss.
Protip: don't use the Mormegil for the whole game.

The first boss of Ecclesia (shadows guy) is harder than every SoTN boss.
>>
>>3158165
Shadows guy isnt the first boss.
>>
>>3158168
FUCK.
It's been a while since I played it, so I don't really remember who the first boss was. Was it a skeleton or a dragon? Anyway, shadows guy gave me a lot of trouble because I thought the game was SoTN-lite.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (44 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
44 KB, 640x360
>>3158175
Second boss.
>>
>>3158175
Shadow guy is the first boss of Dracula's Castle I believe. But before that the game was not that hard. It wasnt SoTN lite more like SoTN meets Castlevania 2.
>>
This is a stealth not retro thread.
>>
OP here

Beat it for real this time.

Is the ending where Alucard goes all emo and runs away, with Maria going after him the best ending?
Does this game have a direct sequel?
Chronicles X on the PSP is the prequel?
>>
>>3158287
> "Alucard goes all emo and runs away, with Maria going after him the best ending?[/spoiler]

Yes

>Does this game have a direct sequel?
>Chronicles X on the PSP is the prequel?

This thing called google will help.
>>
>>3158287
>Chronicles X on the PSP is the prequel?
Yes, it's a remake of Rondo which came out before SOTN and is the prequel.
>>
>>3158304
The next game canonically is The New Generation, though it takes place a few hundred years after Nocturne in the Moonlight.
>>
>>3158304
Yes.
No.
Yes, it happens 5 years before SoTN, and ... well, it's a retelling of Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood (a PC Engine game). Mind you, Rondo of Blood has at least 4 versions, so you can consider Chronicles X (PSP) the most complete. It also comes with the PC Engine original (as a secret item, I think), so no troubles there. Just don't play the SNES Dracula X, it's a gimped version.
>>
>>3158324
>Just don't play the SNES Dracula X, it's a gimped version.

I was skimming through ebay last night, and for some reason, I was only finding reproduction carts of the SNES version. Found that funny.

PSP version it is
>>
>>3158324
>Just don't play the SNES Dracula X, it's a gimped version.
Oh boy, here we go.
>>
>>3158328
snes version is a remake, it's a whole different game - quite a bit harder, too
>>
>>3156592

If you 100% the first castle, there are only a couple rooms that are on par with difficulty when you go through the inverted. Most of that is because of stun-locks anyway. Occasionally those green skeletons that shoot lasers catch me off guard lol. Galamoth is really the only exception, hes a decently challenging boss if you don't cheese him.

Vanilla really is just, a fun game. Richter mode never gets old. There are tons of "challenges" for clearing the game but I haven't found any I've ever considered because most of them are kind of ridiculous (pacifist, naked alucard)

SOTN is definitely the easiest game that still gets me super addicted somehow, which generally runs to be the opposite.
>>
>>3156978
The DSvanias are trash.
>>
SotN > CotM > AoS > PoR > OoE > HoD > DoS
>>
>>3158359
you're mom is trash
>>
>>3158370
>Symphony of the floaty controls
>first
CoTM>PoR>OoE>AoS>SoTN>HoD
>>
Sotn is one of those "Nintendo Power Games" where you had to have outside knowledge of the game to get all endings.
>>
>>3158450
The two rings have descriptions that complete each other, and most of the stuff isn't really out-of-the-box thinking. Well, maybe the wolf-bat tunnel thing.
Valkyrie Profile is a Nintendo Power game. Getting the A Ending without a guide is next to impossible.

Trivia: if you count your attacks, you can kill both Richter and the green orb with the same attack (use Dracula's portrait to give the final attack). If you do this, you'll go to the reversed castle, but Richter will stay in the boss room. Now, if you enter the boss room through the right side, you'll fight Richter again!
>>
>>3158450
Maybe to Playstation kids who hadn't played real adventure games before SOTN.
>>
>>3158585
wow ur lyke soooo hardkoar i bet u even started gayming on a atari 2600 huh???
>>
>>3158450
Not really, the game is quite basic and if you do any thourough exploring you'll find the things you need, and it's not hard to figure out that the special items you find are necessary.
The gold and silver rings flat out tell you, and it's pretty fucking obvious that Richter is insane in the membrane (insane in the brain), and that the glasses you get from Maria are fucking important somehow, put two and two together.

I admit I fell for the first ending, but I knew that felt short, and I figured that those things were obviously important so lets see if they're used here.
>>
Hahahahahhahaha....haha.
>>
File: 1407412673913.png (186 KB, 332x512) Image search: [Google]
1407412673913.png
186 KB, 332x512
>>3157362
>crissaegrim, vorpal blade, and malbung removed
So let me get this straight. You have two swords that, while being overpowered as shit, are also absurdly powerful. Instead of lowering their power, you just remove them from the game entirely, meaning no superfast quad cut swords to dick around with.
And then you have what's essentially a stronger sword version of the shield rod that doesn't give you increased defense based on your shield. So instead of cutting to the root of the problem by nerfing the Alucard Shield spell, you remove the Mablung from the game? This shit makes NO fucking sense.
>>
>>3158896

I would just make obtaining crissaegrim a bigger challenge than one hitting schmoo's over and over.. I mean in conjunction with an insane difficulty mode it might actually be balanced
>>
>>3156978
Make sure to play Aria of Sorrow before Dawn of Sorrow because Dawn chronologically takes right after Aria. It was the first GBA one that I beat but not my favorite but I did hear it is the most popular one and the most that resembles SotN.
>>
>>3157362
Can you explain what makes Haunted Castle so hard? I seen game play and I just can't for the life of me see what is so hard that everyone keeps talking about. Not to say that I think it won't if I try I genuinely can't see.
>>
>>3157772
I played the Saturn japanese only version and it was exactly the same in difficulty coming from a guy who first played the US version not even a year ago.
>>
>>3157936
Get the Crissagrim from the Shmoo those floating ghosts in the reverse library they rarely drop it but the weapon is worth it.
>>
>>3160390
OP don't do this on your first playthrough, you'll steamroll any potential challenge, if you think it's too easy now, you ain't seen nothing yet.
>>
>>3160861

I beat the final boss in just a minute or two with Alucard's sword. Hate to imagine it being any easier.
>>
>>3161460
Alucard Shield coupled with the Shield Rod reduces the time to what, seven seconds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSP-JKGLMY
>>
>>3161487

Were they supposed to be hidden? I found the whole set
>>
Which was more harmful to the franchise: Super Castlevania IV or Symphony of the Night?
>>
>>3158450
The game gives tells you what percent of the game you've completed. You can piece it together.
>>
>>3162108
IV, it was so bad that it killed the numbered games so we never got a V.
>>
>>3161460
I only suggested not as a legitimate weapon just something to see. Trust me it isn't as bad as combining the shield rod with the Alucard shield.
>>
>>3162108
Trick question, the answer is your mom.
>>
>>3163034
Sorry you like shitty games, anon.
>>
>>3163062
Australia pls
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.