[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good, obscure SNES JRPGs? I'm looking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: large.jpg (115 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
115 KB, 1280x960
What are some good, obscure SNES JRPGs? I'm looking for something new to play. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>3153493
Earth blind
>>
Finale Fantasy 111
>>
>>3153493
Do you know Japanese?
>>
Time Triggered
>>
I have sooo many jap only games with english translations, but havnt played them all

>gunple (gunman's proof)
>treasures of rudra
a bunch of shit I cant remember off the top of my head.
try wonder project J, i think its not really an rpg but still.
>>
>>3154098
seconding gunman's proof, absolutely excellent game.
>>
>>3153493
>>3153831
Is this a good way to learn Japanese?
>>
>>3154202
Not the best, but it's usually recommended to learn Japanese through things you enjoy, so yeah.
>>
>>3153831
I'm decent at it, but not good enough the play a lot of JRPGs.
>>3153570
>>3153625
>>3153863
>obscure
I realize Earthbound and Chrono Trigger is really obscure if you really aren't into gaming, but I wouldn't be on /vr/ if I wasn't really into gaming.
>>
Live-A-Live (honestly an essential for any JRPG fan)
Treasure of the Rudras
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Gokinjo Boukentai (SECRET TREASURE TIER)
>>
>>3155018
Super Mazerati RPG Lagoon of the Sticker Star
>>
>>3156113
>Star Ocean
Came in to say this

>>3154098
>Gunple
This was the second one I was going to mention

How about Dark Half?

Isn't there some school girl RPG? Seems like it was untranslated but it might have been a Playstation game.
>>
>>3156113
this, also

Romancing Saga 1-3 - non-linear RPG series. first one has some big flaws, second one is my favorite, third one is great but feels sometimes "unfinished" for the lack of a better word. The is no overlaping story between the titles.
Energy Breaker - Short but fun SRPG (you will only control up to 4 characters in one battle)

>>3158320
>How about Dark Half?
seconded. The time limit gimmick can be annoying if you don't get some of the puzzles. Otherwise rather fun
>>
Not a single mention of Terranigma the best JRPG on the SNES period in this thread? You're slacking.
>>
>>3154202
/a/ has a learning Japanese thread every day, go check it out. Anime is a pretty good way to practice your Japanese once you learn the fundamentals.
>>
Look here.
http://snesrpggaming.weebly.com/snessfc-reviews.html
>>
>>3159427
OP said obscure, not overrated
>>
File: arcana-04.png (284 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
arcana-04.png
284 KB, 640x480
I'm enjoying this one, but the ice labyrinth is a bitch.

Sometimes it gets tidious and you WILL NEED to level up if you want to keep going. But once you learn some basic spells and your Element familiar is pumped up, it gets pretty fun to battle.
>>
>>3153493
Mystic Ark
Metal Max Returns
Uncharted Waters
>>
>>3159427
/vr/ wise its pretty popular.
>>3162150
thanks senpai
>>
>>3162150
I remember renting and beating this game over the course of a week with my cousins... pretty good game. I should go back to it sometime
>>
>>3159328
Are all Romancing Saga translated to english? I remember searching for them some time ago, I think only the first one was fully translated. Unless you're suggesting this for those learning japanese, than forget what I said.
>>
>>3162150
I hated that one...bored me to death.

Play 7th saga and never finish it due to the broken game design. You know you want to.
>>
>>3153493

Dark Half (SNES - RPG)
Shining Force (Genesis - RPG)
Bahamut Lagoon (JP SNES - RPG)
Rudra no Hihou (JP SNES - RPG/Make own spells)
Romance SaGa Series (SNES - RPG)
Tengai Makyo: Ziria (JP PC-Engine - RPG)
Tengai Makyo 2: Manjimaru (JP PC-Engine - Humor RPG/Goemon)
Fuun Kabukiden (JP PC-Engine - Humor RPG)
Tengai Makyo Zero (JP SNES - Humor RPG)
Hourai Gakuen no Bouken! (JP SNES - Humor RPG - Set in School)
>>
>>3165629
As of this month, yes. RS2 has a Western release on phones, RS1 has a remake on the PS2, and RS3 has the ManaSword translation.
>>
>>3166037
So no translations for the SNES release of RS2? That's too bad, but how is it going the phone port then? Anyone here has played it?
>>
File: 2377screenshot2[1].png (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
2377screenshot2[1].png
8 KB, 256x224
>>3166037
>>3167973
>RS1 snes
>no translation

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2377/

here's a full english one. hope that makes your day, anons
>>
>good
>jrpg
hehe
>>
>>3167973

The English version isn't out yet, but I've heard good things about the port. Personally, I don't like how it handles backgrounds, but being able to play the game in English is worth it to me.

As for RS3, the translation is allegedly pretty shit.

>>3168241

>your favorite genre
>good

xD
>>
>>3168220
I know about the translation of the first Romancing Saga, it's the only one I got because all the other ones are labelled as unfinished, which really surprises me considering how long they have been released and how many people are interested in playing them. Anyone here care to explain why this, regarding RS2 and RS3?
>>
>>3168356

From the hacking side of things, they're apparently just a nightmare to work with. There's also probably a huge amount of text to translate, given the open-ended nature of the games.
>>
>>3168220
Somehow I was completely unaware of that but I would still recommend the PS2 remake over the original.
>>
>>3155018
>I'm decent at it, but not good enough the play a lot of JRPGs.

That could be a problem, if you want obscure stuff as much as you say you'll need some solid japanese, at least from the grammar point of view.

But I see everyone in this thread made some nice recs already.
You'll want to choose carefully depending on what you want from the games.

>I want standard DQ/FF clones
Mystic Ark
Arcana
Lennus
Lennus 2
Tengai Makyou Zero

>I want something a bit different from the usual DW/FF but still kinda similar in design
Cyber Knight
Cyber Knight 2
Emerald Dragon

>I want something more action-y
Wizap! Ankoku no Ou
Solid Runner
Alkahest
Brandish
Brandish 2

>I want something extravagant and/or with deep gameplay
Romacing SaGa series
Rudra no Hihou
Metal Max 2
Metal Max Returns
Traverse: Stralight&Prairie
Dark Law
Inindo

>I want some more tactical-ish RPG
Energy Breaker
Bounty Sword
SRW series
Monstania
Uncharted Waters
Bahamut Lagoon
Langrisser II
Dragon Knight IV
Treasure Hunter G

>Where's muh roguelikes at?
Milandra
Shiren the Wanderer

That's a few of the most well known "obscure" Rpgs, some of those aren't really obscure at all, like Shiren, Metal Max or Romancing SaGa, but people don't usually know much about the japanese market where those were and still are cult franchises.
Sorry for the late reply, I was kinda busy these days, surprised to see the thread is still alive and actually good.
>>
File: 587023842591.gif (2 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
587023842591.gif
2 MB, 600x338
>>3168717
Now that's a neat rec post, here I go again for the searching. Thanks anon.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.