[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone own a Retro Freak? I'm looking looking to get Genesis/Megadrive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: retro-freak-2.jpg (64 KB, 618x386) Image search: [Google]
retro-freak-2.jpg
64 KB, 618x386
Anyone own a Retro Freak? I'm looking looking to get Genesis/Megadrive games, including some 32x. Is it able to play games from that peripheral yet?
>>
Forgot to also ask, can it play reproduction carts? I have several SNES repro's
>>
>>3147560
>does the shitbox that emulates old systems and plays ROMs play fake games?
>>
>>3147503
Yes me and my wife love the Retro Freak!
>>
>>3147596
What does her son think? He's the man of your household after all.
>>
>>3147503
I don't think it does 32x. Youtube has teardowns and reviews. Pretty meh. I'd wait till one of these comes out with N64 support.
>>
Even a Raspi is a better choice for an emulation box than this thing, and you could buy five of them for the price of this shit.

Go shill somewhere else please.
>>
File: 1460406938654.png (30 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1460406938654.png
30 KB, 250x250
>buying an emulation box
>>
>>3147630
This product in particular might not be great but I don't see the problem in the concept of an emulator box.
>>
>>3147596
don't you mean your waifu anon-kun?
>>
>>3147630
The only reason I can think of owning a retro-freak would is it allows you dump rom's/save-data from your carts, and back them up on micro-sd card.

Also isn't this system getting SG-1000 and Game-Gear support soon?
>>
>>3147503

Retro Freak make wonderful gifts. I picked one up for my wife's son's birthday present.
>>
>>3147801
If you are OK with emulating games you could use your computer for that, or just purchase a laptop and hook it to your Tv after stuffing it with emulators and roms.
>>
>>3147592
>fake

They're ROM hacks though; they're perfectly legitimate games that play off an EEPROM chip like all of your favourite games.

I'm not going to justify spending money on an emulator, though
>>
>>3148190
>thinks official carts use EEPROMs
>>
>>3148249
>Doesn't know what an EEPROM is

They do.
>>
>>3148273
>I don't know what an EEPROM is
>So I'll continue to make an ass if myself
Not even the guy you're replying to kid. Just someone else laughing at a fool.
>>
>>3148249
>>3148656
Okay, I looked into it, and it's not an EEPROM. Semantics aside, I'm talking about the chip itself. It's still on actual hardware.

It's like saying pirated cartridges are "fake". Sure, they're not the real game, but they're still physical objects with everything the original has.
>>
Emulation aside this is a great ROM dumping station. The RetroN5 is locked down while this is more open
>>
File: 1435048277968.png (93 KB, 308x232) Image search: [Google]
1435048277968.png
93 KB, 308x232
>>3147503
My wife and her son love it
>>
>>3148718
Don't you mean your sister?
>>
>>3148723
She ain't my sister. After uncle Cletus was taken from us in that horrible chemical explosion in his trailer pah looked after her like one of his owns but she's still my cousin and our marriage is legal in 19 states.
>>
>>3147503
This and the Retron 5 both use Genesis Plus GX emulator source code for Sega systems, which does not support 32x
>>
>>3148190
damn you're stupid
>>
>>3148718
I got one too! my japanese wife and her clone love it.
>>
>>3148675
It's not even a matter of semantics. It's functionally a similar chip but EEPROMs are volatile and mask ROMs aren't. EEPROMs can lose data over time. I personally haven't had a repro stop working yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it ever happened.
>>
>>3148938
Thanks. Nice contribution.

>>3149164
That's literally what you're debating though, the differences between versions instead of what they have in common.

They both hold information. That was literally my only point. I couldn't care less about ultraviolet light corrupting data on a chip which may or may not be in a repro.

My only point. Was that it's on hardware.

It's like you assholes intentionally ignore the topic at hand to pick apart meaningless bullshit like it makes you more correct. God damn.
>>
I slide every repro board I make betwixt my buttcheeks. If you're lucky you might have a swee-smelling, skidmarked board inside your cart.
>>
>>3148675
>pirated cartridges aren't fake
topkek

>>3149207
>it's on hardware
So is your moms iphone you emulate on.

The problem with us assholes is that we don't appreciate it when some dumb kid comes along and starts lecturing others with shit that's just wrong. I can just picture you getting in an argument with your teacher saying that 3+3=5.
>b-b-but 5 and 6 are both similar numbers so semantics aside i'm rite
You're the kind of autistic i-cant-be-wrong know-nothing that gives kids here a ba name.
>>
>>3149414
This is pretty much exactly why so much piracy related stuff has gone to complete shit. A flood of know nothings who won't listen and learn before spouting off bad advice or how they know better.
>>
>>3148691
Is it? I thought the dumps were encrypted. Hacked already?
>>
>>3149414
Found the nostalgia gamer.
>>
>>3149535
>"Anon that literally won't work, EEPROMs don't work the sa-"
>"NOSTALGIA GAMER"
>"HOARDER"

See, this is why emu-fags annoy me D:<
>>
File: 1450331090445.jpg (8 KB, 160x249) Image search: [Google]
1450331090445.jpg
8 KB, 160x249
>>3149414
No, they're unofficial. They're very real. You can hold them.

You of all people would know that I was referring to playing on game consoles. I was even talking about the ROM chip inside the fucking cartridge for crying out loud.

>we

You don't speak for anybody but yourself. Your behaviour perfectly outlines that you're trying to backseat moderate, like you own the fucking place. Like people will agree with you unquestioningly because you're sticking to what you think /vr/ posting should be.

You're so unwilling to humor my arguments that you'll throw in completely unrelated bullshit to validate your contrived point. And if that's not enough, you clearly don't know what semantics are! I used the term EEPROM because it's the term I saw the most, and when It was pointed out that that's not entirely correct, I corrected myself. I told you, clear as day, "They both hold information". If you somehow don't understand what my point was by now, you must be intentionally ignoring my conversation because you want ME to tell YOU that YOU'RE right over the ONE DETAIL that I honestly couldn't care LESS about. And even then, I ALREADY CORRECTED MYSELF. You're TOO LATE.

>>3149537
Hey FAGGOT. That's NOT ME. STOP ACTING LIKE ANONYMOUS IS THE SAME PERSON. Holy SHIT you're fucking idiotic. Yes I mad.

>this is why emu-fags annoy me D:<

Because you're a WEAK CUNT that can't hold your beliefs up to SCRUTINY?
>>
my wife's boyfriend's sister loves it!
>>
>>3149893
Delicious, triggered on /vr/ after asking a pleb ass question.
>>
>>3149893
According to the dictionary and everyone else in the world except you one meaning of fake is counterfeit. I think we found the root of your problem. You just don't know what words mean.

Are you so new here that you don't know that the "b-b-but that's not what I meant" argument isn't worth anything? If you don't care about anything you were wrong about then stop caring and replying with CAPS filled rants faggot.
>>
>>3150125
>one meaning of fake is counterfeit

Yeah, and the definition of counterfeit involves intent of deception. Which isn't what repro games are for. Not that you care, clearly.

>Are you so new here...

I know what I was saying, you clearly didn't. Not my fault. Get off your high horse.

>If you don't care about anything you were wrong about...

Except I corrected myself. So, I do.

>rants

Naw man, it's an explanation, with caps for emphasis. You're clearly butthurt that I misused an acronym, and now you refuse to let it go. That's even more pathetic than my shitty "rant".

Can you really only reply in the manner you did? Being a giant asshole, instead of attempting to understand what I meant? Surely you knew what I meant.
>>
>>3150446
>My definition is right. Shame all the dictionaries are wrong.
You're going to continue to fail in life if you continue to believe your moms lies about how special you are.
>>
File: 1434683522143-1.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1434683522143-1.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
>>3151505
Cool sidestep-strawman combo, I never said your definition was incorrect. Your lack of nuance is really killing you here.

So, one meaning of fake is "counterfeit", right? A forgery? It implies that it's made to deceive the purchaser. While this may apply to a number of pirated carts, repros will damn-near always have a reproduction label on them. So, your definition of "fake" doesn't fully encapsulate the process of reprinting games (note how I never said anything about the definition being wrong, and instead pointed out your misuse).

Do you understand why this is, yet? Do you understand why we're even talking about it, or have you lost sight of the conversation?

Here, I'll answer for you, since you refuse to argue logically. "Your mom spoiled you as a kid and that's why you're asserting you're right". Yeah, really creative there, triendo.

Some guy asked if repro games would work on this thing. some other person, possibly yourself, mocked his question, implying that emuboxes are fully capable of emulating ROMS. But then the guy said "fake game", and I felt that was not entirely true.

As I see it, if you're reproducing a game, labelling it as it originally was, and having a "reproduction" sign of some form on it, I don't see how it'd be considered "fake". It might not be the original plastic, but knowing it's the original game ROM info on the chip, probably even with the original header dates and all, I would say it's certainly a real game.

It's just not the original print run. This is the distinction I feel you're ignoring.
>>
>>3147801
>I don't see the problem in the concept of an emulator box.
There's nothing wrong with them, but they're ALWAYS overpriced compared to a roll-your-own solution (handhelds perhaps notwithstanding).
>>
File: big_image_pg2[1].jpg (278 KB, 1920x1016) Image search: [Google]
big_image_pg2[1].jpg
278 KB, 1920x1016
>>3153114
I feel like this is what gets under people's skin around here, idiots willing to shell out thousands of dollars for a gold-plated pseudo-NES

It doesn't even look like one...
>>
>>3153114
I'm not good with hardware so I wouldn't know how to put a Pi together.

>>3153132
I don't think they're meant to look like one.
Also I don't think they have an actual value corresponding to their asking price.
And I don't think anyone is going to buy one either.
>>
>>3153110
>implies
Only to you

>>3153110
>I felt that was not entirely true
Fine, and you expressed your opinion using some incorrect terminology. When called on that you sperged out and said the person who corrected you was wrong. And ever since then it's been you saying wrong things and justifying it by saying that's what it means to you.
Hallmarks of a coddled spergboi
>>
>>3153132
What retards. I bet you can get away with gilding them with fool's gold because hey, idiots and their money are easily parted!
>>
>>3153405
You just said that forgeries aren't made to imitate the original. You just admitted that's your definition.

Pirated and bootleg games will generally exhibit one of two things, either taking an original property and selling it as their own, or compiling a bunch of games together for efficient game purchasing. Neither of these involve having the original licence, which was available at the time, and as such would be considered "fake".

While reproduction games aren't made under the original licence (considering the titles being reproduced typically don't have a way to be licenced), it will near-perfectly imitate the original print run, save for the "reproduction game" label on it reminding the buyer it's not the original and should be valued as such.. Regardless, the game is still functionally identical. It's a physical game, thus it's as "real" as the bootlegs. It physically exists. "Real" in this context is not in reflection of the authenticity of the cartridge's original version. Why do I have to explain this to you, over and over, only for you to say "no that's not true" with no refutation? You have done nothing to refute this.

>you expressed your opinion using some incorrect terminology

Which I corrected, and it still didn't change my point. You were nitpicking thinking you were contradicting a main point.

Is it because of >>3149537? Do you still not realize that I was using EEPROM (albeit mistakenly) as a general term for "programmable chip"? Is my usage of the word "semantics">>3148675 insulting to you? Does my lack of regard for the display of knowledgeability >>3148656 confuse you?

I never said they were wrong, it was that I didn't care. I only actually care about this "real/fake" debate going on, I couldn't care less about this meaningless trite as it has no bearing on the topic at hand.

>>3153424
I would imagine the process being relatively cheap, you could probably do it to a real console with electroplating. Might actually be fun.
>>
>>3153652
>You just said
Only in your very twisted mind sperglord. Pretty much all I've ever said is you're full of shit. The rest of this is you and the voices in your head talking.
>>
>>3153929
>Pretty much all I've ever said is nothing, because I know I'm going to be proven wrong

fixd

Nice job not attempting a refutation, again. If you're so smart, why don't you post your definition of "fake"? I'll be glad to clear up any misunderstandings here. I'm sure there's lots.
>>
>>3154023
I've only been proven right. You agreed I was right and you were wrong and corrected yourself.

Any personal definition I might choose to make up for "fake" is as irrelevant as your definition of fake. What matters is the definition generally agreed by the rest of the world, that they put in dictionaries and such.
This is why normal people can communicate with each others but not aspies. Aspies are convinced that their definitions of things are more accurate, that they are right and all others are wrong. Normal people already have a common agreement on what words mean and have a discussion. Aspies just sit around arguing about the meaning of words.
>>
>>3155115
>I've only been proven right.

Yeah, about that one irrelevant thing that had no bearing on my actual argument.

>Any personal definition I might choose to make up for "fake" is as irrelevant as your definition of fake

One, no, it's not, as it illustrates our personal stances. Two, you shouldn't "make up" a definition, that hopefully wasn't what you meant though.

>What matters is the definition generally agreed by the rest of the world

Yes, that one. Post that one. You're assuming that I'm using some imaginary definition, and that's just not the case. If we have different definitions, which is what I'm expecting, I can try to understand where you see differently from me, and we can go from there. But so far, you've just been dragging your heels. Seemingly for no reason.
>>
>>3147503

I just got one today, and I think it's great. Tested out GB Tetris and Genesis 6-Pak. Both ran great. Tons of options to tweak including controller remapping and hotkeys for save/load states, etc.

FYI, I bought a raspberry pi and while it does everything the retrofreak does and more, it's a huge pain in the dick to get running and has tons of bugs still.

If you just want something simple and compact that will look and sound all right and give you the feel of playing vidya on a TV on the couch like when you were a kid, get a retrofreak.
>>
>>3147503
>>3155645

Forgot -- I'm not sure if it will play 32x. I've heard that it will recognize a super gameboy but not any GB cartridge plugged into the sgb, so take that for what you will.
>>
>>3155454
>assuming
You already said what your definition is and disagreed with the dictionary definition dingus.
>>
>>3156407
>disagreed with the dictionary definition

When? What? What are you talking about?

Post it already!
>>
>>3148813
No it does not, Retro Freak's emus were 100% made from the ground up by M2 and they never made a 32X or Sega CD emulator.

Retron 5 was stolen software however.
>>
>>3156508
source or it never happened
>>
>>3156650
https://desustorage.org/vr/thread/2284842
>>
>>3153308
there is no putting a pi together its literally one piece, and to get the software running there are plenty of guides online to walk you through step by step
>>
>>3156508
> my source is some clueless anon rumor on /vr

lol, here are some official sources for you

http://www.cybergadget.co.jp/support/retrofreak/agreement/software.html
http://retron5.in/node/9

They use the same emulators (minus mednafen pce for retron 5 obviously) and seeing how both pages look like cheap copypasting job, it's likely the same outsourced software company profiting of open-source emus.

And no, neither retron5 or retrofreak support 32x because the emulator they both use has no 32x support.
>>
>>3156939
>crunchyroll
>credible source for gaming
>not even public release
>just claims
try again
>>
>>3159790
wonder how long it'll take before someone figures out how to install retro freak update on retron 5, effectively unlocking the piece of shit
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.