[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so comfy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 10
File: vr.png (703 KB, 1280x929) Image search: [Google]
vr.png
703 KB, 1280x929
Why is it so comfy?
>>
File: 1446258872951.png (199 KB, 373x362) Image search: [Google]
1446258872951.png
199 KB, 373x362
>>3147018
i wish civ 2 would be on steam
>>
>>3147026
Can't you just download it?
Why Steam?
>>
>>3147029
>>3147026
That shit won't run on modern Windoze.
>>
>>3147034
I gave up on modern Windowses.
>>
>>3147034
It does in fact. There is some patch for 64 bits that I used some time back. Though some dialog boxes didn't look pretty.

I now make do with playing Civ III and crying myself to sleep for the awesome things that it removed.
>>
>>3147041
It's a Windows 3.x game so completely impossible unless you had the original source and recompiled it with Windows 9x libraries.
>>
It was before diplomacy got complex. Unless you are playing Gold and the AI is just set on "power-hungry dick" all the time. Also, this game CAN run on modern Windows... you just have to run an XP/9x wrapper/emulator. (Cop-out response, but yeah.)
>>
File: vr1.png (433 KB, 1280x930) Image search: [Google]
vr1.png
433 KB, 1280x930
Do I get the benefits of Spice if I found a city on a tile that has it?
>>
>>3147026
I'd take a GOG release over Steam. They at least bother to make the games work with modern systems.
>>
>>3147034
I had the game running on Windows 7 x64 before, can't remember how. I tried again recently and it ran until I founded the first city, then it would immediately crash.
>>
>>3147475
You probably had the Gold edition which has a Windows 9x executable. The original version really is a Windows 3.x game and cannot run on 64-bit Windows at all.
>>
>>3147026
>>3147034
>>3147039
>>3147041
>>3147029
>>3147050
>>3147252
>>3147475
>>3147502
Just get FreeCiv instead.
>>
>>3147178
Yes.
>>
>>3147520
this
>>
>tfw used to play Civ2 on my PSX all the time.

Was there anything extra in the PC version? What exactly was Call to Power?
>>
>>3147520
God bless the free/FOSS versions of games and their devs.

FreeCiv, FreeDoom, OpenRCT2, OpenRA, OpenTTD, ioquake3, quake-spasm, OpenMW, etc. not only keeping these great games alive, but even fixing bugs, adding features and improving them.
>>
>>3147520
FreeCiv's is only good for multiplier. Its AI is brutal and unforgiving at all difficulty settings.
>>
File: 5762025473_246c7b38bc.jpg (108 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
5762025473_246c7b38bc.jpg
108 KB, 500x374
>>3147034
>using modern windoze for gaymen
Come on now, why torture yourself?
>>
>>3151084
That's not true at all! The AI is dumb as bricks when it's teamed with you.
>>
I've been wanting to play this again for ages but I've never found a torrent for it or anything. I know it won't run on modern Windoze because it's a 16-bit executable, but surely it shouldn't be THAT hard to get running under Win3.11 in DosBox.
>>
>>3151318
see >>3147520
use the civ2 ruleset
done
>>
File: 21168348.jpg (10 KB, 187x189) Image search: [Google]
21168348.jpg
10 KB, 187x189
>>3151101
>gaymen
>>
File: travelersreport_geeks.png (11 KB, 643x403) Image search: [Google]
travelersreport_geeks.png
11 KB, 643x403
This is comfier for me. The original Colonization too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55Ae3apn5s
>>
I play Civ 2 on Windows 7 all the time. Use XP mode.
>>
>>3147026
>steam
REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3151070

Don't forget Open General.

Nothing makes me happier than being able to play through obscure campaigns from obscure wars that only total shut-ins remember or care about.

If that sounds like sarcasm; I promise it's not.
>>
>>3147018
Why do you use the word "comfy" when it's meaningless?

If 4chan's administration hadn't completely given up on everything they would start word filtering (with randomized words) all the stupid shit like this.
>>
File: krnl386_010.png (9 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
krnl386_010.png
9 KB, 1024x768
Civ 2 plays perfectly in DOSBox with Win 3.11. I'm about halfway through a game at the moment.
>>
>>3151572
wait you can do that?
>>
>>3151572
Do you have the original Civilization II disc or is this one of the images found online?
>>
>>3151590
Yup, how I played Cosmology of Kyoto too.
>>
>>3147475
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Civilization_II#Building_a_city_crashes_the_game
>>
Just buy an old XP box somewhere and run Civ2 on that.
>>
>>3151393

>>3147502
That's the (32-bit) Gold Edition.
>>
>>3149210
>What exactly was Call to Power?
A barrel of laughs because of the absolutely ridiculous mid and lategame units.

You want a literal slaver unit that enslaves enemies and turns them into black people who work your tiles for less upkeep? You got it. Better hope nobody makes the Emancipation Proclamation because that instantly frees all of them.

You want a lawyer unit that can sue enemy cities to halt their production? You got it.

You want televangelists and floating billboards who can milk enemy cities for free money? You got it.

You want a literal hippie nuke unit that blows up enemy cities by erasing them and reverting the tiles to natural tiles? You got it.
>>
>>3151849
>You want a literal slaver unit that enslaves enemies and turns them into black people who work your tiles for less upkeep? You got it. Better hope nobody makes the Emancipation Proclamation because that instantly frees all of them.

That was just Sid Meier being butthurt because they wouldn't let him include slavery in Colonization.
>>
Seriously though, just play the Gold Edition. It can be made to run on 64-bit Windows with some tweaking and also supports long filenames unlike the original Civ2.
>>
>>3151852
Sid Meier had absolutely nothing to do with Call to Power.
>>
I thought Sid had nothing to do with Civ2 in general and it was some other dev team.
>>
>>3151875
>mfw I heard about the Civ 2 game that was going for 10 years
Amazing. It's leddit, but still a neat read
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/
>>
>>3151859
I remember having to explain to my brother (who was like 10 at the time) that Civ2 didn't let you use more than 8 characters in your save games because it was an old Windows 3.x game. 'Cause he kept wanting to name save files stuff like Emperor Destroyer The First of Rome and Kill Everyone.
>>
>>3151875
Sid Meier was just the poster boy for his company. The first Civilization was based on a board game. Even the title was directly copied. Sid Meier denied this until his co-designer called him out on it.
>>
>>3147018

this was always one of my favorites. it has nuance while still being fairly straightforward and easy to grasp, and it favors expansionist/aggressive play.

I played a deity game recently, you really have to play skillfully to keep up with that level. I conquered most civs with an invasion force based on knights, then dragoons, then cavalry. I've been meaning to finish that game up.

advice - get gunpowder and build leonardos workshop. switch to monarchy as soon as you can, then switch to communism. republic/democracy is only good for consolidation and growth, I like to use em at the endgame when I've almost won.
>>
>>3151849
never played call to power, but that sounds absolutely ridiculous.
>>
Adding religions in Civ4 was cool, but they pussied out by making all of them completely neutral. It should have gone like this.

>Christianity
The roughly middle-of-the-road religion with no particular pluses or negatives.
>Judaism
Increases commercial output in your cities. If you play as Germany, the presence of Judaism in a city causes discontent among citizens.
>Islam
Allows you to build military units 2x faster. Decreases science output. You can only have Despotism, Hereditary Rule, or Police State as your government if Islam is the state religion.\
>Buddhism
Being in a state of war causes added discontent among civilians.
>Hinduism
Decreases maintenance per city. You cannot build sewer systems in a city with Hinduism.
>Confucianism/Taoism
LOLIdunno.
>>
>>3152396
I agree, they pussied out. I think Christianity should've had a missionary bonus, and Buddhism/Taoism should've made people content. not sure about Confucianism, but it emphasizes strong government/society so I'm sure there's something. LOL @ no sewer systems under hinduism
>>
>>3151635
I have the original (Gold Edition).

I got it working with Win7-64 also, but I never could get the video to work (Intel Indeo codec). You don't see video very often (like when a wonder is built), so it's not a BIG deal.

Here's how to install the gold edition (copy and paste from my notes) -

Update to latest version with civiimge_uccupdate3.exe

no-cd crack won’t work on 64-bit, so:
Copy updated civ2.exe to any folder on 32-bit computer
Copy CIV2_13.COM (no-cd crack) to same folder
Run CIV2_13.COM

Copy updated and cracked civ2.exe to game folder on computer where Civ 2 is installed
Run Civ2XP64Patcher.exe to update civ2.exe to be 64-bit compatible

Install Intel Indeo codec:
open a command prompt, right-click, select Run as Administrator
type: cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (32bit users can skip this step) - press enter
type: regsvr32 ir50_32.dll - press enter

Like I said, the video didn't work for me, but I guess it did for some.

It's a thousand times easier to just install in DOSBox + Win 3.11 - and the video works also.
>>
>>3152442
>It's a thousand times easier to just install in DOSBox + Win 3.11 - and the video works also.

Why not just install Windows 9x?
>>
>>3152426

also, Islam would have a military bonus, but only under non-representative govt, otherwise you lose the military bonus and get discontent. Confucianism could give a tax bonus.

they really could've implemented religion pros and cons in a fair way. but they were scared of controversy.
>>
>>3152462
Install Win 9x in DOSBox? Good luck.
>>
>not installing Windows 95 on your 3DS and playing Civ II that way
plebs, all of you
>>
I have a Gateway from 2003 with XP Pro that I can just install Civ2 on should I get the urge.
>>
>>3151327
I want Civ 2 though, not some open source ripoff.
>>
>>3152518
I bet you'd also play the original X-COM with its multitude of horrible bugs over OpenXCOM.
>>
File: 1460982500167.gif (14 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
1460982500167.gif
14 KB, 500x596
>>3152518
>>
>>3151635
I'm sorry, I told you wrong. I didn't use the Gold Edition for DOSBox/Win 3.11 - The Gold edition is Win 9x only. I used the original release + Scenario discs.
>>
>>3152542
Could you upload an .iso of the original release disk (and perhaps the expansions separately)? It's not available anywhere online afaik.
>>
Alpha Centauri has very similar rules to Civ2, or so I've heard. It's also the only civilization game I ever managed to get into. Warfare and dealing with the planet's lifeforms kind of suck though.
>>
>>3152396
>hindus cant build sewers
dear lord the lolz
>>
I actually thought Civ3 was the best overall especially the ranged artillery (glorious feature I wish they'd kept in Civ4).
>>
>>3147034
Available here with patch for 64-bit Windows compatibility.

http://www.old-games.com/download/5146/civilization-2
>>
>>3152636
>19.9 MB
>full Civilization 2
>>
>>3152647
lolyea, there's no way that includes the soundtrack and videos from the CD.
>>
I kind of hate dealing with full ISOs because they take fucking forever to download and also eat a lot of hard disk space. A mere 8 of them consume 5GB.
>>
>>3152703
you can burn them to a CD
>>
>>3152548
I'd like this as well. It's surprisingly hard to find.
>>
>>3152636
>>3152647
>>3152667
I remember ages ago I pirated it from Hotwire for my Macintosh Quadra and it was a grand total of 33MB.

Was totally worth tying the phone up overnight.
>>
>>3153327
this was one of the few games i actually ever bought.

multiple copies. loved this game.
>>
>>3151826
No, I own the vanilla game and that's the one I play on Windows 7. I don't use MGE because the AI is bugged and the patch that fixes the AI also makes it not work on Windows 7.

>>3152667
It doesn't, but the videos only play if you have the disc in the drive (or "have the disc in the drive") and the music plays whatever CD you have in the drive so if you own MGE or can otherwise access the soundtrack you can just do that.
>>
>>3147018
>want to pirate it with the CD advisors and everything
>unduly difficult to find a good copy
>>
>Love Civ2 over the later titles
>Love the 2D look
>All the maps look like garbage instead of plausible earthlike terrain

It doesn't really affect gameplay, but muh imagination doesn't like it.
>>
>>3152718
This is the only thing i could find, but it's the MGE version though

http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/civilization-ii-multiplayer-gold-edition/
>>
>>3151332
GIRUGA..okay it's not 2009 anymore.

Also, I wish I was better at the game, I tried so many times but I fail at the basics. I am fairly good at classic rts like starcraft or c&c, but round based strategy games like civ or heroes will always be a mystery for me
>>
>>3155508
You can use this ISO with the base game linked earlier in the thread. Just install vanilla Civ 2 normally and mount the ISO to the disc drive so the game plays the music/video off of it.
>>
>>3156553
Thanks. I've got an XP virtual machine I might fire this up in. Ironically, I originally made that VM to run another Microprose game, Magic: The Gathering.
>>
>>3155736
Just keep at it. I remember my first Civ game: at the easiest level, I got stomped by the computer. In the 2000 something, i had knights in cities that got blown by bombers.

Didn't have a manual so I never reodered city square production, minimal roads, still a despot with the default tax rates ...

My advice is to read the manual or at least some of the Civilopedia to know about the various mechanics (city squares, research, production, unrest, governments...) buildings and units.
Start a game at the easiest level.
Exploration is very important too and don't hesitate to kick your nearby neighbor's ass to make room in the early game.
>>
>>3155736
>>3156678
There's a tutorial included with the game, you follow it along with a manual. It's also good to check out sites like civfanatics.com.
>>
>>3152583
Same. Civ3 with Civ4's trading system (or Alpha Centauri's) would have been glorious.. the lack of good trading system was the only flaw.
>>
>>3152583
>Civ 3
>best

Not with the ridiculous amount of corruption. Any city beyond the ones that are closest to your capital city is basically worthless. Even during late game, there's nothing to do mitigate this problem. Glad they did away with this annoying mechanic in later games.
>>
>>3157167
Forgive my memory, but isn't that what Forbidden Palace was great for? A second capital, thus doubling your productivity by creating another set of 0-corruption cities
>>
>>3157579
I didn't play a lot of 3 but in 2 the combination of Forbidden Palaces and the relatively low corruption of late game government types made it a good mechanic overall since it was basically the only thing that kept players with a big city advantage in the early game from completely dominating.

Towards the end, players with an advantage will be able to retain it and those without one are liable to lose it.
>>
>>3151070
Open yoot tower when?
>>
>>3157167
>>3157579
Forbidden palace didn't do very much, unless you used it in the near-exploit fashion of putting it in a central location and then moving your palace to the other side of the map with a great leader, in which case you basically immediately won the game (both against players and ai) unless you were already losing horribly.
>>
>>3159219
Open Sim/Yoot Tower would be pretty cool
>>
Did the sci-fi scenario in Test of Time creep anyone else out as a kid?
>>
>>3161042
Everything about Test of Time freaked me out.

I had it before I got the base game and I wondered why it got hammered in the reviews when it was obviously such a great game. I only realized later that the reasoning was that it was basically a worse version of something that had been released years earlier.

It remains the best way to play hotseat Civ 2, however, due to its extra features and lack of a bugged AI.
>>
>>3161042
Especially when paired with that S-F music, yeah.
>>
>>3151539
advocating censorship

i could understand pruning threads created with no content, but word filters, specially since its a forum with "invisible moderators" just absurd, famiglia
>>
>>3151070
>adding features
that's what I don't like, I want original gameplay with only bug fixes and adding stuff should take place in some derivative version.
>>
>>3160398
Especially if you can port over all the official plugins
>>
>>3151070
>FreeDoom
Is just a data file, and fairly recent. You're thinking of player made maps and mods and the source ports like ChocoDoom, PrBoom+ and ZDoom (and child ports) that fix bugs and add features and improvements.
>>
>>3161290
A lot of the time new features are just quality of life improvements, though.
>>
Is there a way to edit it to limit stacks to 2-3 units?

I find the game so comfy, and civ 5's 1 unit per tile is too restrictive, but seriously fuck stacks of doom.
>>
>>3162868
The AI can't really handle it in civ 5, so I imagine it would be even worse in this and basically unable to do anything.
>>
>>3152326
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPuU8Pq9D3Q
>>
File: Heidelberg.gif (66 KB, 639x400) Image search: [Google]
Heidelberg.gif
66 KB, 639x400
>>3162868
the civ 1 mechanic maybe - a good compromise.

You can have as many units as you want in a square. But if a unit attacks, and you lose that one fight, you lose ALL units underneath.
>>
>>3164136
In civ 2 this happens to the defending stack in combat if they aren't in a city or fortification.

I don't really know what the argument against stacks is; would anyone care to enlighten me?
>>
>>3164897
>would anyone care to enlighten me?
they can make combat very tedious when you have to pick off inferior units one by one.
>>
>>3165156
It's just a strategy though since attacking costs movement.
>>
>>3162868
The problem is that units are too slow.

They devs were trying to copy wargames like Panzer General, but forgot that in Panzer General units can move more than three hexes in one turn.
>>
>>3162868
I actually kinda liked CTP's stack mechanism with formations so units can have different roles.
>>
The reason they changed the artillery system back to the Civ2 method in Civ4? Sid Meier claimed the ranged artillery in Civ3 didn't work properly with the AI.
>>
>>3165565
I don't mind a stack of say 3 units every so often, especially at chokepoints, but it's a pain in the dick when every single hex takes multiple turns to cross.
>>
>>3165612
It's been a while since I played CtP, but iirc the stacks attack and defend together in a do-or-die manner so a turn is all it needs to result in a wipe/rout.
Again, memory's kinda hazy on that as I don't play it much due to their other game mechanics.
>>
>>3165486
>>3162868
A great thing to do would be rather than to edit stack size, edit in the quick combat (all the guys fight each other one after the other, but the actual fighting does't change) that later editions had.
>>
File: day2-battle.gif (141 KB, 494x316) Image search: [Google]
day2-battle.gif
141 KB, 494x316
>>3165665
It's an option but yes you can force a one turn resolution between stacks. Which imo is a much better system compared to single unit attacks or the unit shield ( >>3164136 ) system.
pic is CtP2 btw.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.