[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it the only one people still play?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 256px-Homm3boxart.jpg (35 KB, 256x325) Image search: [Google]
256px-Homm3boxart.jpg
35 KB, 256x325
Why is it the only one people still play?
>>
Age of Wonders is better.
>>
>>3146050
>>3146238
because it's the only one even remotely interesting. Fuck these games are boring
>>
>>3146050

It's not as basic as 1 and 2. Neither is it retarded looking and slow like 4 and 5
>>
>>3146050
Slavs

>>3146238
'No'
>>
>>3146050

online? yeah, good fucking luck not desyncing after a month in homm2 or actually finding someone to play 4 or 5+ with. There are just so many slavs that still play it's a bit ridiculous. Takes a lot of effort to find another shitter who you can have a non curbstomp game with though
>>
>>3146050
I don't know why but slavs (and I am slav too) love this games. Two months ago I started to working a new job and my co-worker on break said me that he played in all ten parts of might and magic when I mentioned that I played on mm7. HMM was also my first game - when my family got a first computer (I was a six years old) I started too peek on my parents room ad I saw how my father play in H3 - and from that moment, when I saw this glorious skeletons vs centaurs - I knew that I'll love this game. Why? Still I don't know. But this is good, man
>>
>>3147132
>>3146396
I hate slavs, but I still play it.
Slav mods are too autistics. It's like the campaign "boss" fights but with difficulty pumped up by 100,and instant-deaths for the maymays.

Haven't tried HOMM2. But the non-campaign maps in HOMM1 were bretty gud.
>>
>>3146050
Because it's the only good one.
>>
>>3147979
I played them up to HOMM5 and find they all have their merit. I even enjoyed the boldness of what 4 tried to accomplish.

Still 2 and 3 are my favorites. I love the colorful aesthetics of the second and 3 is just a better, more refined and polished version of 2.
>>
>>3146050
it's comfy
>>
It's the one with the least amount of game design problems. It's the one that's the easiest to run. It's the one that has the best AI. It's the one that had miles of fan support thanks to a simple yet extensive editor. It came at the right time in the right form and it snowballed from there.

There's no truly bad games in the franchise (although Heroes 7 is trying real hard to bomb in every way) but 3 was the most polished one.
>>
I swear, I only ever see russians playing it on twitch. I think, hey let's get a bit of nostalgia going and watch some Heroes 3, and inevitably it's a bunch of ruskies going cyka cyka into the night.
>>
>>3149945
Better cykas than kurwas
>>
>>3149956
Sure, but who wants to watch any kind of slav playing videogames? That's just a special kind of rock bottom, below watching videogames to begin with
>>
>>3146050
Honestly, I play more HoMM2.
>>
I don't know. It's a good game, but I can't get into it since I'm so used to 2. 2 just has perfect art direction. It's so vibrant and lively.
>>
>>3146238
AOW2's gameplay is too slow.
>>
>>3146050
endless legend /thred
>>
Played it a bit, but really isn't there about 2 percent skill involved with the rest being how fast you can traverse the map through clicking on events in the right simple order like unraveling a knot
>>
>>3151095
I've heard good things about that game but I've never picked it up because it's not "done" yet. They keep releasing new DLC and it never goes on sale.
>>
>>3151426
>new DLC
What are you talking about?
Can't you just copy that floppy?
>>
>>3146050
I prefer the overall aesthetics and maps of 2, so I still load that one pretty often. I don't deny that 3 is a bona-fide classic, though.
>>
>>3151429
I'm not a poorfag so I don't mind paying for games when they're on sale and have been out for at least a year
>>
>>3151325
It's 2% skill, 3% RNG luck, and 95% getting hit with Lightning Bolt and watching the AI flee from you in combat.
>>
>>3152596
>95% getting hit with Lightning Bolt and watching the AI flee from you in combat.
EVERY TIME
>>
>>3152870
hope you didn't like those archers
>>
I think a fair amount of people still play 2, which is almost as good despite being basically devoid of balance. Indeed, I preferred 2 for many years and I only switched my default Heroes game to 3 a few years ago. I'm pretty sure now, though, that 3 is the best game in the series due simply to the variety it adds to the formula. It takes nothing away from Heroes 2, except maybe graphics, and adds a ton of variety.
>>
III has the best Hot seat option, and is the best one in terms of mechanics. However, if you want to give IV a chance, despite it being worse than 3 in most stuff, it has a really interesting campaign mode. In my opinion better than 3. I played it and enjoyed each scenario.
>>
>>3149932
>It's the one that's the easiest to run
DosBox emulations work just fine for HOMM1 and 2. HOMM3 has annoying DRM if you have the CD version ,and didn't buy it from the slavs/GOG.
>>
>>3152870
What? Does that mean the spellcasting warlords/leaders are better? All the FAQs and online forums say otherwise.
>>
>>3149963
What's so specific about slav letsplays?
>>
>>3154856
HD Mod circumvents the DRM completely and why would you play without it anyway?

>>3154857
Not particularly, that poster is talking about the AI's habit of casting a spell and running away when it feels chances are overwhelming. You can engage some weak enemy hero only to get a meteor shower in your face when you were hoping for a no-losses cleaning job.
>>
>>3154875

Hd mod is nice but it fucks with the enemy AI making it more annoying rather than challenging.
>>
>>3154882

Also it makes the random map generator more generic
>>
>>3147817
git gud
>>
File: boikatt.jpg (28 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
boikatt.jpg
28 KB, 604x453
This was my favorite game as a kid until one day my dad saw me playing it right as I lost and then they beheaded my character infront of a crowd. He ejected the game from the computer and threw it over the fence.
>>
>>3154884
Psst, there's a Template option at the top of the random map page. Change that to something else.
>>
File: H7_KeyArt.jpg (151 KB, 896x504) Image search: [Google]
H7_KeyArt.jpg
151 KB, 896x504
What went wrong?
>>
>>3154901
And you didn't go get it as soon as he was busy/distracted/elsewhere?
>>
>>3147106
Maybe the color pattern triggers some old Soviet conditioning thing.
>>
>>3150421
It's true.
3 with the graphics of 2 would be perfection. 3 is just a tad too edgycool.
>>
>>3154901
Hahahaha faggot
>>
>>3156304
Trying to jump on the MMO/RPG/whatever the fuck wagon and failing miserably. It's still better than 6, which was simply too broken to exist.
>>
>>3149932
I think this is the best explanation of HOMM3's enduring popularity I've ever read.
>>
File: bugs.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bugs.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>3152596
you forgot
>watching the AI swoop in and snatch artefacts just to flee the next battle because you don't have shackles
>>
>>3158737
>It's still better than 6,
No it's not. 6 has a bunch of misguided ideas, but also a lot of good ones and in current state plays and runs well unlike 7, and it has a pretty good base campaign. 6 had a vision that was faulty, 7 has no vision.
>>
>>3154892
>meme
>>>/b/
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (530 KB, 320x2291) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
530 KB, 320x2291
>>3146050
King's Bounty Genesis is best HOMM.
>>
File: 08[1].jpg (4 KB, 129x129) Image search: [Google]
08[1].jpg
4 KB, 129x129
>>3158729
>>
>>3159259
>Genesis
But fucking
why
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.