[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
N64 Emulation Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10
File: papm640f[1].jpg (122 KB, 640x451) Image search: [Google]
papm640f[1].jpg
122 KB, 640x451
Let's have a comfy thread about Nintendo 64 emulation and why it is so shit.
Which emulators you using?
you wouldn't use ProjectMalware, would you?
What ROMS you playing?
Tell us about what problems you're encountering and help each others.

Pic related trying to make Paper Mario works, but regardless of what I do I still encounter the flickering problem in the menu. 1964 won't start at all for unknown reasons so can't use that one.
Has anyone found how to "perfect" emulate it yet? Really wanna replay that gem but these flickerings are a pain.
>>
>>3142415
Doesn't it run well if you emulate it through Dolphin via VC?
>>
Emulator using: Project64 2.2 (I call bullshit on malware)
ROMS playing: Jet Force Gemini (framerate issues), Rush 2 (graphical issues), Wipeout 64 (way too fast).

Solution: Use different plugins or previous emulators, fuck round with the settings, etc.
>>
>>3142415
>let's have a n64 emulation thread
>n64 emulation thread
>emulation
Into the garbage with this thread. Just talk about games and consoles, emulation is illegal for one, and a tool of the poor for another.
>>
File: 1425763359872.jpg (10 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1425763359872.jpg
10 KB, 250x240
>>3142435
Found the wagecuck. Back to work you go tool.
>>
>>3142429
How did you download Project64 2.2 without the malware shit alongside it?
>>
>>3142435
>emulation is illegal
>>
>>3142445
Not him but I found a forum post with the malware removed.
>>
>>3142452
Do you still have the link of that forum post? I stopped trusting PJ64 but if there's really a link without the malware shit that would be great.
>>
File: 1459792217406.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1459792217406.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>3142445
w-what malware

im not really a fan of the n64 but wanted to try paper mario

how fucked am i?
>>
>>3142454
https://project64u.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/project-64u-download/
>>
>>3142415
My girlfriend wanted to play this recently on my prehistoric modded xbox, but paper mario always seizes up when merlon exits his house. Tried several different plug ins to no effect. Apparently this game is notoriously difficult to emulate.
>>
>>3142460
It's pretty well known that ever since it's 2.0 version Project64 has been bundled with malware.
A fucking shame because all the other emulators are pretty much subpar. 1964 seemed good but it ain't working for me, it doesn't even start.

I want me that Paper Mario goodness too pal but gotta find the right link. Still waiting for that guy to post that forum link, maybe he'll save us.
And in case his link does indeed works and that your Paper Mario still encounter graphical issues I heard that Glider64 plugin might resolve the problem.
>>
You all know you can still download 1.6 (which was a pretty good version btw) without issues, right?
That will work for >>3142460
I played Paper Mario from beginning to end, with default plugins back then in a athlon xp 1.4ghz, 256mb sdram, 32mb igpu..
>>
File: [Tips Hat].jpg (41 KB, 310x232) Image search: [Google]
[Tips Hat].jpg
41 KB, 310x232
>>3142415
I wanted to try indiana jones and the infernal machine but no fucking emulators can run it.
>>
I don't get why the whole project 64 malware thing is such a big deal, as long as you pay attention while installing you can uncheck all the the adware and malware stuff. It's still one of the best n64 emulators out there especially for some specific games. Besides, other companies do it as well, like I'm not going to stop using uTorrent because you have to be careful in the installer to uncheck all the malware.
>>
>>3142427
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA2D8CuWflw
>>
>>3142484
QBT is superior in connections and performance, if you ever feel like switching.
>>
>>3142481
OP here, playing Paper Mario on default Project64 1.6 have graphical glitches (the infamous flickering). For some it might not be something big but it starts being a pretty big deal when you have to navigate through the menu multiple times.

>>3142472
First and foremost: Thank you a lot for the link. Safe and clean.
I have set up my controller and downloaded a Paper Mario rom, loaded it up and black screen, nothing happening.

Do you have any ideas on why this might be a thing and do you have any recommendations on which settings to set up / plugins to add?
>>
>>3142490
Beggars can't be choosers.
If you want perfect gameplay, buy it in VC or get a N64 and the game.
>>
>>3142490
Weird. Are you sure you're selecting glide as the video plugin?
>>
Paper Mario worked almost flawless for me 4 years ago after fiddling with plugins

No matter what I did there was always one thing wrong. I had everything perfect but the film reel part of the battle interface was invisible.

Icons were fine, just no reel or spotlight.
>>
I don't emulate the N64 often. Emulation gets a lot of hate from the original hardware retards on this board but I've never given a shit.

The N64 does have some challenges though, I've never been able to get an equal/better experience than on a physical machine, besides playing a couple titles that I wasn't gonna bother paying hundreds for. Eventually got an ED64 so that isn't a problem.

Anyway, I've used mupen for the last couple years since I haven't had access to a windows machine since Vista.. How do you guys deal with control stick intensity? I feel like whenever I play games it's impossible to not full out spring when I emulate the analogue..
>>
Welp, after more than 1 hour tweaking the Project64 provided by >>3142472 it seems that Paper Mario is simply a fuckery to emulate.
Other games (Super Mario 64 for example) works perfectly fine, but Paper Mario just won't work.
>>
>>3142632
I told u bro.

Always something new broke with Paper Mario no matter what you do.
>>
>>3142632
So just buy a n64 and the game, or buy it for VC.
Other than that, either you deal with it, or forget about playing it.
>>
>>3142632
Funky shit with 2D and 3D having lots of communication which screws with emulator coding.
>>
>>3142415
Emulating with Project 64 2.2.0.3. Whenever we do decide to play a 64 game, we play Conker's, Perfect Dark or GoldenEye. Everything else has a sub-optimal experience in 4 players like lack of music, a superior port exist or noticeable frame drops that are also experienced on the real hardware which ruin the fun.
>>
I was just playing Paper Mario
So far I have zero complains, game is playable. There are some bugs here and there but nothing really game breaking.
>>
>>3142415
Too bad there's no N64 games worth emulating. Truly a worthless console.
>>
>>3142445
You can uncheck and not install it if you actually look at the installer and don't click next, next, next like a retard.
>>
>>3142415
I'm playing GoldenEye again atm. Fuck I love this game, it's so perfect. I haven't given it a good run thru in probably 5 years or more.

I'm playing in RetroArch with a PS3 controller. I do have good original hardware as well, but I like the high res and better speed of emulating. We have PAL consoles here so emulation is superior.
>>
>bought USB N64 controller
>emulator joystick isnt sensitive enough so lots of challenges on Majora's Mask are impossible
>items are completely flattened on SSB
>bomberman 64 doesnt work at all (screen is fucking black)
>control stick isnt sensitive enough to AIM properly on jet force gemini, cant even snipe

what do?
>
>>
>>3146879
Use a 360 controller
>>
>>3146879

You can adjust sensitivity you know
>>
File: laughingskeleton.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
laughingskeleton.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>n64
>emulation

why did all the talent in the emulator scene go to psx/ps2/gamecube emulation? why is the n64 emulation scene such a dead clusterfuck of failure?
>>
>>3142823
i can tell you as someone who'd been playing goldeneye a bit on n64 that goldeneye doesn't work well in emulator at all. yes, it "runs" alright now in the sense that if you were just looking at the screen you might think it was alright, but when you actually try playing it the entire experience is really terrible. nothing really works quite like it does playing it on an actual n64. not even the movement speed will be the same as playing on an n64; the movement speed is dependent on very subtle characteristics of the analog stick that i've never found any way to replicate. n64 emulation is garbage
>>
>>3147256
not in any useful way. all the current input plugins really do is limit the analog stick range without giving you any way to adjust the response of the analog stick. the n64 input plugins are too lacking in features to usable considering the fact that many n64 games aren't playable without having exactly the sort of analog stick characteristics it expects
>>
File: Bomberman_64.jpg (33 KB, 256x179) Image search: [Google]
Bomberman_64.jpg
33 KB, 256x179
I picked up Bomberman Heroes but wanted to play BM64 first. Unfortunately I cannot get BM64 to work on my Wii Homebrew Wii64. The graphics won't show up, it will run and have sfx but I can't see anything. Anyone have any advice?
>>
>>3150183
The real reason N64 emulation is terrible is very simply. Laziness.

But this not entirely their fault: it actually goes all the way back to the very first N64 emulator: UltraHLE. Now this was a very clever emulator: you could emulate N64 on PCs that weren't even that much more powerful than the console.

The secret to it was that the N64 supported hardware accelerated 3D - it would interpret N64 GPU commands as 3dfx Glide commands instead. For the most part this was quite neat as 3dfx were ex-SGI engineers, and the Voodoo series has quite a fair bit of architectural similarities to N64's SGI GPU.

Alas, the problem is that the N64's GPU does not follow any particular 3D API standard - it has its own of course, and this was before OpenGL and DirectX were a thing. The hardware actually handles the graphics VERY differently to DirectX and OpenGL, and Glide to a lesser extent. This is one of the results of the severe inaccuracy of emulators like Project64.

But yet N64 emulator authors still dogmatically hold to HLE GPU command conversion, because it's so easy.

There's also the matter of the N64 being the first consumer-level 3D hardware with programmable vertex shading via microcodes, so that's an addition emulation headache.
>>
>>3150801
yeah but compare n64 emulation to ps2 emulation. ps2 emulation damned close to flawless in a lot of cases; n64 emulation isn't close
>>
>>3150884
PS2's graphics are actually easier to emulate than N64's.

It's because N64's graphic pipeline is designed around generating complex pixels that go through a lot of stages before the final pixel is generated. Replicating all of the stages accurately is hard.

PS2 on the other hand works around generating shitloads of very simple pixels with special effects produced by layering these simple pixels over and over. Each simple pixel stage is quite easy to generate - and layering them is just a matter of processing power, which modern computers have lots of.
>>
anyone else play any competitive Smash 64? You guys should check it out, it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izjdx9QT2Eg
>>
>>3150973
>>3150801
I love it when we get knowledgeable posts like these.
>>
File: DYKG18.png (255 KB, 497x500) Image search: [Google]
DYKG18.png
255 KB, 497x500
>>
File: 256px-Fzeroxbox.jpg (22 KB, 256x179) Image search: [Google]
256px-Fzeroxbox.jpg
22 KB, 256x179
How the fuck did this game squeeze out 60fps consistantly on the N64's underclocked memory?
>>
>>3152934
its not like the tracks are super complex or anything.
>>
>>3152964
...or the machines, or the surroundings.

It's almost as if they programmed it that way so they could focus on speed.
>>
>>3152964
>>3152967
Even simplistic or ugly N64 games run framerates in the low 20s.
>>
>>3152970
Noone respond.
>>
>>3152970
But this was nintendo, what poor performing game did they release for the system?
>>
File: car_select.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
car_select.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>3152970
No, it's a clear design choice. The cars are all low poly and low detail. Reviews at the time frequently mentioned this. Nintendo thankfully understood that a good racing game really needs a good framerate, especially one that emphasizes speed like F-Zero.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.