[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Goodwill even carry in store video game items anymore? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 15
File: goodwill_logo.jpg (20 KB, 346x446) Image search: [Google]
goodwill_logo.jpg
20 KB, 346x446
Does Goodwill even carry in store video game items anymore? I haven't seen a video game cartridge there in over three years. Have they caught on and just stick them all to auctions?
>>
>>3136893
Yep. The auctions aren't been fun to bid on either because it's all overpriced. A real shame
>>
>not emulating
wow you sure r 1 huge fagit
>>
>>3136893
they created their own game store along with the auction site
so the place is basically dead to game hunters
>>
File: 1414690788140.gif (2 MB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
1414690788140.gif
2 MB, 400x306
I think it depends on how stupid store employees are. If they don't know what the item is or if they don't have procedure to handle it they just put it on store shelves for super cheap. Like I once got Brave Fencer Musashi for 2 bucks at a bookstore.

Mostly though, they auction it or they put it on Amazon.
>>
>>3136893
Goodwill got smart about rare items like old video games.
>>
Goodwill employees take all the good stuff before it ever sees the shelves.
>>
>>3136893
Goodwill is fucking scum. Every video game I've seen in there has been at least 9.99 or more. Other thrift stores I can sometimes find games in the CD music section for 3.99 but rarely. Plus Savers and other competitors to goodwill are shutting down. Goodwill is the GameStop of dirty used underpants and the don't donate 1 € to charity.
>>
>>3137018
>>3137040
Aren't they supposed to be a charity? I remember not even 3 years ago when I could find good ps1 and NES games in the store, now they have absolutely nothing, with the exception of shitty sports games

They did the same thing with antiques too now it's just a bunch of worthless knick knacks
>>
>>3137048
No they take all the profits from free stuff people donate to them 4FREE. Goodwill is the ultimate Jew company. All profit.
>>
Picked up FFIX black label from goodwill for $10 a few months ago. They still have stuff.
>>
>>3136903
>emulating
wow you sure r 1 huge fagit
>>
>>3137048
>Aren't they supposed to be a charity?

They're "not-for-profit" and use legal loopholes where they can to say they aren't profiting (but they are). In countries where these loopholes don't exist, Goodwill is known to be for-profit.

They aren't, and never were a charity.
>>
File: goodwill.jpg (171 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
goodwill.jpg
171 KB, 1920x1080
>>3136893
are you kidding me? they get games every single day where i live. i've got insane deals on rare shit they had no idea how to properly price. i have maybe 3000 dollars worth of uncommon imports and other shit.

i just bought watchdogs sealed for pc today from them for 2 dollars, i probably over payed.

you have to go to goodwills by high income areas with high popluation density, like suburban illinois (where i live)
>>
>>3137018
used to work there, can confirm.

saw every item on the belt before it was even priced.
>>
>>3137207
>>3137060
You guys are persuading me to never walk in a goodwill ever again
>>
>>3137238

Do you live in the early 2000's?
>>
>>3137238
>Suburban Illinois
Where exactly? I live in a suburban area in Illinois and my local Good Will puts all video games in a fucking glass case and charges an arm and a leg.
>>
>>3137250

It's not like they do much to inform donors that they're actually more like suckers.

I explained that to one anon here who wanted to get rid of some of his shit that he had many options for actual charities if he didn't care about receiving any money back for it, some of whom would come to his home and take it away for him, and his response was something along the lines of "Well every charity is full of corrupt assholes, at least the Goodwill is just down the street."

Some people can be told, some can't.
>>
>>3137048
They are a """""charity""""" where the CEOs all own 5 different sports cars and live in luxury mansions.
>>
any canadianfags here who live around brampton/mississauga? been looking for a thrift shop or a decently priced used game shop, but having no luck finding any.
>>
The Goodwill logo is both a face and the letter g.
>>
Is Salvation Army any better? Or are they a front too?
>>
>>3137269
did you check the cd rack and dvd shelf? a lot of times they can't tell the difference between games and movies

try the lake zurich location, and the rand location

the lake zurich one in particular always has new pc games in every day.
>>
>>3137250
>>3137283

More info about how shitty Goodwill can be
>More disabled workers paid just pennies an hour
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/more-disabled-workers-paid-just-pennies-hour-v19916979

Goodwill is a bunch of different companies, like Goodwill of Connecticut or whatever but it's generally a pretty shitty group overall.

The Goodwill where I grew up started price checking every thing so you never actually got good deals unless they fucked up. They then started ASKING PEOPLE FOR DONATIONS when they checked out... fucked.

It's better for the environment than buying new shit, but they're a terrible company.
>>
>>3137048
No, the point of Goodwill is that they create jobs and resell items at a low cost for lower income residents. The incentive is that donating to them gets you a tax break.

You can put whatever /pol/-tier conspiracy twist or tumblr cynicism you want, but that's just what it is at a basic level.
>>
>>3137389
Except for when they put the things they are supposedly meant to sell at a low cost on a public, nationwide auction site in order to maximize profits.
>>
>>3137336
Well, about a decade ago, they threatened to close every single charity they ran in New York if they weren't given an exemption from a recently passed bill for the equal rights of LGBT people in the state.
That's right: hating faggots, dykes and trannies is more important than helping poor people. Oh, and they requested their followers (you know the SA is a religion, right?) to become foster parents specifically to convert young children to their particular brand of God and religion and not to help kids. Then again, the Mormons have been doing that for years.

Also, I remember a story five years ago where they refused to accept donations for disadvantaged children of Harry Potter related things (books and toys, I'd guess) because magic is the devil.

Oh, and that whole thing of refusing help to African natives who haven't accepted the SA's specific perception of god and religion as the one-and-only truth.

They're hateful, deluded nutjobs.

If you want to help the poor, there are two things you can do: donate money directly to shelters, pantries and kitchens and donate personal hygiene and baby care products to shelters and pantries. A box of diapers costs $30 and only lasts a week. That's expensive as fuck.
>>
>>3137238
Fuck, I wish the second-hand shop I usually go to had that many games...
>>
Goodwill has also gotten a bit expensive over the last few years. To the point that its hard even for genuinely poor people to find a good deal there.
They have also wised up and seem to check any electronics they come across now.
>>
>>3137463
Well if they're a religion it's understandable. If it goes against their faith they shouldn't be forced to support the tranny agenda.
>>
>>3137474
That's a problem with the whole reseller/collector/PawnStars/Storage Wars culture going on right now. Old and outdated stuff is more often being viewed as collectible or as potential investment pieces.
>>
>>3136893
they dump the good stuff on their auction site now
>>
>>3137238
OP here. I'm in Miami, and I don't think most of these refugees have been here long enough to have had an NES or even up to PS2.
>>
File: image.png (1013 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1013 KB, 1024x768
Goodwill hasn't had shit here in the Mojave for like 5 years. The last video game related thing I found there was a Gameboy bag on the shelf with no price tag that was obviously picked through. It had a GB (which I wasn't even sure if it worked), a printer, and some Mary Kate and Ashley game. Figured it'd be worth it for like $10. I asked the person working there how much it was and they got the manager to come out. He takes it in the back for like 20 minutes and when he finally comes back out he said its $30. I obviously told them to fuck off.

Salvation Army sucks balls here too. They had an N64 NBA game for 11 fucking dollars. They price everything high because every Friday and Saturday they have 50% off. Choose your poison: pay twice as much for something now or be there at opening and fight/race a reseller to get it half off.

Fuck both stores, I find more stuff at mom and pop ones. Even then, they charge too much a lot of the time. Flea market sellers are all a bunch of entitled faggots too.

Pic related is one of the best finds I've had. It was around five years ago at an estate sale for $7. Garage sales are pretty much the only way to go other than online.
>>
>>3137328
You fucking animal
>>
>>3137503
>>3137463

>Well if they're a religion it's understandable

I hear you, but it's also fucked that they would compromise their main mission of helping the poor (which they do a pretty good job of) because they're mad not everyone is straight. I think Jesus would be bummed about that. I think the main problem is poor people have to rely on organizations like this.

>>3137463 anon is right, best to donate directly to shelters (and to well rated charities).
SA sucks, but at least they do some good for the poor. Hiring disabled people is cool, but it doesn't make you a charity. fucking CVS and Stop & Shop hire disabled people (and don't exploit loopholes to pay them $0.10 an hour).
>>
>>3137565
>Garage sales are pretty much the only way to go other than online.
Same here in NE Florida. I live in a small county with a bunch of small towns. Everything that isn't a yard/garage/estate sale is cancer. Flea Market game sellers want more than the actual retro game shop we have here. $35 for Super Game Boy, $70 for Super Metroid, etc.
>>
>>3137018

Goodwill has a chain-wide mandate that employees cannot purchase merchandise until it has been on the shelf for at least 24 hours.

Doesn't always get followed, mind you...
>>
>>3136893

they actually ship them all to a special store called "the grid"

http://thegridgoodwill.com/

its located in charlotte, NC

i live there and go there all the time. The stuff they had is cheaper than most retro stores but still stupid overpriced for donated stuff. Got an AGS-101 for $25 last week though

also picked up two logitech attack 3 joysticks for only $5 each
>>
>>3137665
Savers is similar. Except it's 2 days mandatory to have things on the floor. So I pretty much gave up hope when I see anything good come along. Plenty of resellers are here everyday picking out anything that seems profitable and there has been times I've seen some decent things in the back but never saw them out on the floor...
>>
>>3137238
Where in suburban IL??? I go to the one at 31st and Wolf in the western suburbs and I can never find shit
>>
goodwill is a good place for common retro consoles though well least the ones in oregon though

the other day i saw like ten playstations in one
>>
>>3137565
How do you find oldschool gaming shit at garage sales? Especially considering the shit from the 80s and 90s should be sold by now.
>>
>>3137979
Be lucky
>>
>>3137018
I can actually confirm this. I used to work at good-will and built up my retro collection thanks to that job.
>>
>>3138009
What the fuck does goodwill even do

What are they raising money for?

What is there cause?

I can't believe more people are asking this shit.
>>
>>3138013
Its a franchised pawn shop except they dont get any good stuff like guitars or other instruments. Actually pawn shops probably have more vidya too.
>>
>>3138013
It's kinda sketchy if you think about it, I don't know how they're getting away with it
>>
>>3138013
Honestly? It's just retail store that sells 2nd hand goods, that's it.

Now If you're asking what good they are doing, they send clothes overseas that we don't sell, to 3rd word nations such as Africa.
>>
File: Hcu532a.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Hcu532a.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>3137670
This, that's where all the good shit is
>>
>>3138024
They should donate all the hipster clothes to African children so they can looks stylish while starving.
>>
>>3138040
i'm from Kentucky the most they will get is old jeans and shirts with the confederate flag on it. Besides I haven't even worked at good will for six years now.
>>
>>3138018
What?! Goodwill is absolutely nothing like a pawn shop. All of Goodwill's merchandise comes from donations. They do not buy any of their items nor do they give out collateral based loans. Goodwill is about as far from a pawn shop as it gets since their prices are low and they aren't a bunch of greedy fucks.
>>
>>3138030

yo if you live here lets play retro games
>>
>>3138054
your right they are worse than a pawn shop and actually more greedy.
>>
>>3138054
>Goodwill is absolutely nothing like a pawn shop.
True
>All of Goodwill's merchandise comes from donations.
Untrue
>They do not buy any of their items
Untrue
>nor do they give out collateral based loans
True
> their prices are low
Subjective
>and they aren't a bunch of greedy fucks
The least truthful part of your post.
>>
Remember to wear latex gloves and wash everything you buy, since everything in Goodwill is literally covered in feces.
>>
>>3137848
>>3137341
>>
>>3138073
I got scabies once from used stuff. I always carry hand sanitizer now.
>>
>>3138068
Pawn shops not only price gouge but they lowball people when they buy stuff. You can't honestly tell me a nonprofit is anywhere close to being as greedy as pawn shop fucks.
>>
>>3138087
they do price gouge but you can actually haggle with them a little unlike goodwill.
>>
>>3138021
Because retards and cripples need jobs too.
>>
>>3137336
they take things for free

why can't we take things for free?
i see lots of shit outside SA all the time
should swipe it, someone dropped it off for free, why shouldn't i be able take it for free?
>>
File: 20150611_131702.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150611_131702.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>3137979
just look man

i thought it would all be gone by now too, but i always keep seeing stuff every now and then.

i got all this at one yard sale for $100
only lucky because it was a friday at 10am, because the next day i wasn't able to get out early.
>>
>>3138107
Why would you need to haggle at a Goodwill? You can buy shit by the pound at some places.
>>
>>3138013

The Goodwills in our area use the money to get unemployed people relevant training and help them with their job search.

Like if you need basic training in a field you seem fit for they'll arrange to get you into a class at a local community college and then help you find opportunities and provide professional advice on your resume & taking an interview.
>>
>>3137503

The problem is that it's not against their fucking faith

Nowhere in the bible does it say "Whatever you do, don't help a homo."

They're just playing politics.
>>
>>3137665
>>3137706

I worked there before and nobody was buying it off the shelf.

They were just stealing it.

I worked at a large warehouse and it was extremely common.

The only guy who ever got in major trouble for it was a truck driver who was offloading truckloads at his house (from the pick-up sites they leave in store parking lots).
>>
>>3138189
>Nowhere in the bible does it say "Whatever you do, don't help a homo."

While this is technically correct, what the bible actually says is that they should be put to death: Leviticus 20:13.

Further passages in Leviticus and Romans involve the importance of not interacting with sinners, excepting where it involves carrying out the whole execution thing.

I'm not religious but you should actually read the thing at some point. It's horrifying.
>>
>>3137018
Had a bud who spotted stuff for me. Once they had a guy dump boxes of Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. Bought a box and spent a day driving around the city selling each copy for half the price I bought the box at to mom and pops. Been tempted to seek more of these opportunities again but it is so time consuming trying to convince folks they won't find copies of mario and duck hunt in mint condition again.
>>
>>3138219

Yeah, if you go strict old Testament. Which I guess is probably your religion if you're a ~2,000 year old Jew.

Meanwhile, if you listen to Christ--the guy Christianity is named after--you get:

>13 Once again Jesus went out beside the lake. A large crowd came to him, and he began to teach them. 14 As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him.

>15 While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16 When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

>17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
>>
>>3137975
This is similar to my experience in Northern California.

Also, anywhere predominately Spanish-speaking will have good prices and a decent selection of 90s-and-earlier Japanese-made electronics, including video game consoles.
>>
File: goodwill games.png (275 KB, 280x497) Image search: [Google]
goodwill games.png
275 KB, 280x497
previous employee of goodwill here. The export all of their games to their online auctions at
http://shopgoodwill.com/
BUT sometimes they send them off to their goodwill outlets where you buy items by the pound. I managed to get all of these games for just under $4 and was able to get almost all of them to work. They are admittedly more /v than /vr but it's still worth recommending.
>>
>>3138246
Not in Miami.

Like I said, everyone here came too recently to have electronics from the 90s.
>>
>>3137503
It's already been covered why that's just silliness. Remember that religion is always used as a defense when someone wants to do something considered indefensible by rational people. Like killing nonbelievers and apostates in Islamic countries, for example.

I shouldn't have opened with the whole fag rights thing, because what I find even more disturbing is the second part of that paragraph: using the foster care system to win converts.

In order to sign up to be a foster parent, you have to sign a contract saying that you won't force your particular faith on the kids in your care. See, because of the separation of church and state, it's illegal for a state-funded entity to use that money for religious gain. I don't like the idea that my tax bucks are going to pay for some whackjob to convert an impressionable kid to his/her particular brand of whackjobbery.

While Mormons do often sign up to be foster families, they generally follow the law here and rather than force their foster kids to go to church and participate in religious ritual, they go for a more passive approach (which is perfectly legal and I'm okay with) which is raising kids by example. Rather than force their involvement in the church itself, they have them follow the particular rules and habits of the church /while in the house/. Those are no smoking, no coffee/tea and family game night (big in Mormon families; the family gets together, usually on a Tuesday, and plays board games, which is nice). They also involve the foster kids in non-religious church-organised functions such as potlucks and trips to Disney Land and things like that. This way, they'll hear about religious things passively from other members of the church and the kids can choose for themselves when and if they want to involve themselves in church itself.
Mormons also generally don't bar foster kids from other religious backgrounds from doing their own religious stuff. SA, however, does. And admits to it openly.
>>
Yes, some.
The problem is everyone and their grandmother (seriously, ive seen several 60+ year old women grabbing all the games) buys video game shit.

Add to that the fact that most goodwill districts sell online, at either ebay, amazon, shopgoodwill, or that other goodwill site that I can never remember the name of.

On top of that, a large portion of games donated to goodwill comes from leftovers of someones yard sale. With so many people buying games, less and less get leftover from yardsales. Plus the fact that some people turn to ebay instead of having a yard sale...

Some people actually think old games are completely worthless and throw them out or recycle them. Ive personally heard people say that theyve been to thrift stores where the employees throw out old game stuff. And there are many stories of people finding games stuff at recycling centers.

Finally, for retro games specifically, as time goes on, more and more people have already gotten rid of their old game shit. So the supply will literally dry up. Next time youre in a thrift store look at how much stuff they have that is 30 years old. Not really that much.

Its no wonder you never see games there.
>>
>>3137010
Dont know how they got smart about it, considering how many fucktards brag about finding shit to the employees or news outlets.
>>
>>3137389
Theyre not specifically for low income.

They sell used goods and use proceeds to fund their programs.
>>
>>3137503
>muh gay agenda is ruining traditional values
>>
>>3137060
The " but they get it FOR FREE" argument is stupid as fuck.

If I get something for free, what is the maximum I can sell it for if not FMV? Who sets this maximum?
>>
>>3139002
It is though.
>>
>>3137238
If you payed out anything for watchdogs 2, youre fucking stupid and cant spell.
>>
>>3139007
How?
>>
>>3137324
Mississauga fag here:

Game Street is decent (Rockwood Mall), VGP (Central Parkway Mall) is on the verge of going full retard but they haven't hit eBay prices yet.
>>
>>3137238
>he makes up stories on an anonymous image board
>>
>>3137670
I guarantee the only goodwills that ship stuff there are the ones in that district.
>>
>>3138068
Yep, some goodwills actually buys goods from target by the pallet/gaylord.
>>
>>3138132
Wats on the vhs... and dust that shelf... fuck man.
>>
>>3138219
>>3138240
Yeah, only really in old testament, along with shit about mixed fiber clothes, shellfish, and tattoos.
>>
>>3138939
You dumb then. They dont send all stuff to shopgoodwill, not all districts sell on there and not all stores choose to send everything to them that they should. Some shit sneaks by for some reason or another.

Also the by the pound goodwills are outlets where they send shot that didnt sell at the regular stores.
>>
>>3139014
They turning our kids gay so our family line dies off and dor population control!!!
>>
>>3139001
It's really a genius business tactic to manipulate the charity system and get infinite free shit to sell at whatever price they want.
>>
>>3139006
See>>3139124
>>
>>3139014
Don't you see? If the gays can get equal treatment, then the whole foundation of society will be destroyed! Civilisation will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will roam the earth riding zombie dinosaurs!
>>
You donate to goodwill for tax deductions.
>>
>>3139132
Yep, that's about right.
>>
>>3139139

Wouldn't you be better off just selling your shit, from a numerical standpoint?
>>
>>3139139
this
>>3139169
hell no

i know of very wealthy guys that send their trophy wife to the every garage sale in the area just to buy up all the clothing JUST TO DONATE IT TO GOODWILL

yes, they essentially pay for tax right offs.
>>
>>3139132
Fucking kek
>>
>>3138970
this

a good 15 years ago, i could find LOTS of NES, Saturn, Turbo Grafx and just other good games and systems. but in the last 6 years i can't find much at sally armies anymore.

doesn't help that my only one is about 35 mins away and its the only one in the area. next closest thing is a goodwill that is over an hour away.
>>
>>3139087
the VHS has some old anime cosplay shit on it from the mid 90's
>>
>>3136893
they have a gaming store in Concord, NC called "the wire" i think. Also, if in NC... there is one store location, king,NC i think, that has some random collector editions last time i checked. They had one CE version of ninja gaiden or something for PS2/PS3 for $25 that came with this big ass statue.

but going back to that gaming store, they are fully stocked on those chinese knock-off controllers and have a variety of systems. I got a gameshark pro for n64 there for $6, and it works. I went there looking for an SNES, no luck. Dont go there expecting to find anything nintendo or psx rpgs... but if u need an old ps1 console for $20 they got them. When I was there someone bought a saturn. (wish i beat him to it personally)
>>
>>3137018
I worked at a Goodwill from 2001 to 2004. The "everything must be out on the shelf for 24 hours" was regularly broken and all of the employees that worked there had their own little "stash spots".

I still have almost 1200 Atari 2600 cartridges in storage. Anybody need a Berzerk, E.T. or Asteroids? I have about 40 of each...
>>
>>3139204
this sounds like another place i been to, the workers shouldn't be able to touch anything until the work day is fucking over.

its how i missed out on an NES and about 10 games. nothing rare or anything, but it was $2 for everything.
>>
>>3139204
>"stash spots"
so thats why all those FF titles were wrapped up in a blanket at the bottom of a bin.
Man..I made out like a bandit that day. FF 7-9, FFT, and FF anthology for 5 buckaroonies.
>>
>>3139240
yeah, its shit like that why i don't find stuff at my stores anymore. but i think its more that other people get to shit before i do.
>>
former good-will employee here that shit posted yesterday. I got this as set for $50 back in 2007 while working there.
Granted I had first dibs but most GW employee's have to pay full price for stuff. There is no mark downs or discounts for your average employee.
>>
>>3136893
ALL items of value (jewelry, electronics) are to be sent to their online auction location. any store with games in their cabinet are breaking company policy.
>>
>>3139672
paid $50 for shit

just controllers and 1 fucking game
never shopping at a GW if i see one.
>>
>>3136893
I couldn't give less of a shit about Goodwill overpricing games, the real tragedy is how they have single-handedly destroyed at least half of the United States' retro computer supply thanks to their bullshit partnership with Dell.

Any computer donated that isn't a generic trash HP or Dell from the past 5 years goes straight onto the trucks to get "recycled" (i.e. sent to burn in an African shithole while nignog scrappers smash it all to pieces for 5 cents worth of copper, and dump the rest into the river)

I can't even walk into a Goodwill anymore, they leave the doors to their "recycling facility" open and you can see just hundreds of computers and CRTs stacked in cardboard boxes to face a grisly death. It actually makes me sick to my stomach.
>>
I worked at goodwill like 5-6 years ago and was in charge of processing media. Whenever we got in retro vidya i either stole it or priced it low as fuck and had a friend swing by and buy it for me. Got mint copies of rare as fuck ps1 games out of it like vagrant story. No regrets
>>
>>3137048
Yeah, used to, but, they betrayed their motto by jumpin in the greed game.
>>
>>3139985
That being said i also worked with white trash idiots. We had one girl who priced an original xbox at $60 and it had no controllers or cables.
>>
File: zeldaI.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
zeldaI.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>3139858
sorry I forgot to mention that I also got a CIB copy of LOZ in this set.
>>
>>3140004
At my store we had just the cart priced at $150 sitting in the glass case. It never sold. I seriously didnt understand how people proced shit when i worked there. I would always look shit up on various reseller shit and price it slightly around that. Had multiple people tell me shit was priced way too low and i was just like lolwut.
>>
>>3140012
Hahahahahaha, holy fucking shit. That's just fucking retarded.
>>
>>3140012
wow really? I only payed $20 for the cib cart back in 2008.

My boss knew the value of some games and that's why it originally only cost me $30.00 for nes with all those controllers/hookups and the double dragon cart.
>>
>>3140039
>payed

Also, the whole point is that is a ridiculous price. Zelda is not nor ever will be worth $150
>>
>>3139985
asshole

that shit was meant to be mine and you know it, broke company rules to get it. I hope all your rare shit burns in a fucking fire.
>>
>>3140195
It would have gone to dumbass rednecks instead who would have trashed it. Not my fault you weren't savvy enough.
>>
Have any of you ever got a steal at a goodwill?

My best was super punchout for $4 and ssbm for $3.
>>
>>3137238
Nice time machine bro
>>
My backwoods city has a specific Electronics Goodwill that's actually baller as hell. Early on they had no clue how to price shit, and I picked up Brawl for $10--but they also had that JSRF/Sega Rally 2002 Xbox pack-in for $10 when you could go down the street to the local used games place and pick it up for under a dollar.

I did still get an Xbox there for $10 this week though. No cables, but I picked those up for a song at the aforementioned games store.

Unfortunately most of their /vr/ stuff is sports trash, but from time to time something interesting shows up.
>>
>>3137389
You just admitted the conspiracy yourself. You didn't mention that the public thinks of Goodwill as a charity, and they willingly deceive the public of that fact. They also don't do anything for lower income residents. You can make the same argument about Wal-mart.

If charity gets nothing, then they are basically just an overglorified corporate thrift store. No reason to shop there when you can go to old mom and pop places.
>>
I found this today at Goodwill
>>
>>3138939
>http://shopgoodwill.com/
>literally as bad as resellers
ahhaha what the fuck
>>
>>3140354
>FF8
kek
>>
File: threat 1.png (1 MB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
threat 1.png
1 MB, 600x800
>>3140364
i should post this more

its a flea market reseller
>>
File: threat 2.png (949 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
threat 2.png
949 KB, 600x800
>>3140404
>>
File: the threat is real.png (2 MB, 1213x1389) Image search: [Google]
the threat is real.png
2 MB, 1213x1389
>>3140405
>>
>>3140404
Wew, wew, WEW.

>>3140405
I know jack shit about 360 prices, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay more than $15 or so for those today.
>>
>>3140257
Not retro, but I got Twilight Princess on GC for like 5 dollars last year, and a sea Genesis for like twenty, which I was pleased with. The same goodwill doesn't even stock games any more, I don't know what they do with them these days.
>>
>goodwill game section
>four broken and/or grease-coated ps2 controllers
>shitty sports games
>20 dollar mortal kombat 3 case with fucked up cartridge
>4 dollar genesis controller

>fuck it, get MK3 and the controller
>controller worked
>fucked up MK3 was actually the first MK in an MK3 case

>come back
>muh policy
>no fuck your return policy give me my money
>they actually gave my money back

all I know is I'm not going back
>>
>>3140407
All of your pictures disgust me, but the one thing I'll never understand is why the hell is Pit Fighter $50? Like holy shit.
>>
>>3140437
Send them to shopgoodwill.com or to that game-focused GW store (the Grid), most likely.
>>
>>3139240
No...employees would stash things in areas the public didn't have access to. The cabinets in the break room were often filled with merchandise waiting to be purchased on the next pay day.

One day we received a half pallet of new, unused Maxell 5.25" floppy disks as part of a donation. I bought 8 cases (10 boxes per case) for $40. The rest of them were put out on the floor for $2 per box and someone came and bought them all a few hours later.
>>
>>3140460
Did they pull that crap where they tape it shut? I always force the employee to open it before I buy it. I get why they do it but it's still annoying.
>>
>>3140407
>$7.99 gamestop sticker from eons ago still on the TMNT cart
>too lazy to the remove the sticker, and asking almost 10x that amount, to an already rough copy of the game
>asking $50 for a god-awful fighting game that no one in their right mind should ever want to own or play
>>
>>3138030
>3 copies of Prime
>at least 2 copies of Double Dash
>SHITLOAD of zeldas
what the holy hell
>>
>>3140474
they tried, but I opened it anyway, not that it helped me identify the cartridge
>>
>>3138030
>Dick Vitale's "Awesome Baby!" College Hoops
>>
I just want to thank this thread for introducing me to shopgoodwill.com, I just snagged a beat up non-tmss Genesis for $10. I'm looking forward to cleaning/fixing this guy up.
>>
Why is OP's Goodwill logo edited?
>>
Best Goodwill find would probably be mint-condition black-label copies of Wild Arms, Suikoden, and Vandal Hearts for $5 each a few years ago.

Seriously these things were perfect, not so much as a scratch on the disks or cases. I don't know who had a vengeful girlfriend that threw those away, or how they made it through to the shop floor so cheap, but I thank them. The most disfiguring thing about them was the price tags they had to stick to them.
>>
It depends on the Goodwill.
Luckily the one near me isn't on the auction site.
I've had some good finds there before including a CIB Castlevania Bloodlines.
Just the other week I found Threads of Fate.
That said, countless times theyve had nothing.
It's all about persistance. If you go to the thrift every other week on a Saturday afternoon, yeah, you're not going to find much.
>>
>>3140409
those 360 prices were from last year, summer.

market season just started, im hoping to run into the guy again. got into a fight with him over an N64 transfer pak he was trying to sell for $25 when the thing is like $5 at best.
>>
>>3140482
and they are probably all at Ebay prices or higher.
>>
>>3139985
really? sounds like a great idea
>>
>>3140404
>>3140405
>>3140407

Does this guy actually sell anything? I love how he puts the price he paid new on his shitty used 360 games like it somehow makes them more valuable. What a dipshit.
>>
>>3140257

Nah, there was a great pawn shop called Cash Converters that used to always get old video games in though. In 1998 I bought Chrono Trigger for $20 from there. In 2005 I got Mike Tyson's Punch Out and Super Ghouls and Ghosts for 5 bucks each.

Nowadays though... they just look up the highest eBay prices and use those.
>>
>>3140257

Years ago, maybe around '07, someone donated a ton of SNES games and I got DKC 2, Super Metroid, Super Punch Out, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, and Super Mario RPG for $2 each.
>>
My only good Goodwill find vidya-wise was a CIB, very good condition of Descent, for $5. They literally never have console games at mine because they'd get stolen too quickly (I live in Las Vegas and they're all pretty ghetto here).
>>
>>3138198
>they just steal it

This is the thing that pains me the most. At least when some one buys it has a chance to end up in the hands of someone who will apprciate it..maybe
>>
>>3141472
You are literally just jealous.
>>
>>3141472
Jealousy would require that I wanted to own all the low end titles that come through every once in a while. Gotta leave things for the "wow old skool!" types so they have something to slobber over :)
>>
>>3141482
>>3141742
Whoops
>>
>>3137324
used to shop at the central pkwy one years ago, they had amazing prices then. do any of these places sell repro carts? if so, how do you guys spot them?
>>
>>3139797
Nope.

Goodwill is a bunch of smaller companies with different policies.

Not all participate in shopgoodwill.
>>
>>3140064
Yeah man... he payed out $20 worth of rope to get that game.

Pretty good deal.
>>
>>3140337
Once I was in a goodwill when a guy came in and said he was homeless and wanted to get a coat (it was an early start of winter). He said he was walking south to hopefully get a job.

Of course they said they cant do that. That they dont give out stuff. He wanted to talk to a manager. Last thing I heard were them telling him to go to a salvation army that was "down the street" (it was about 20 minutes by car, most of which was highway, so a few hours walking where it would be legal to do so).

I left before the guy did, but I hope the manager just paid the $5 a cheap coat wouldve been. I still regret not offering to buy it myself.
>>
>>3140404
If he doesnt price them that high, how else would they get that lovely shade of flea market reseller sunfade.
>>
>>3140474
My local tried that for a while.

I always either opened it without removing the tape where the media is or id hold up the checkout line making sure the shit was inside.
>>
>>3140556
if I could find suikoden, wild arms and vandal hearts at goodwill I would bee soooooo happy
>>
>>3144025
Wow, are they fucking dickish as it is?
>>
>>3144256
I get the cashier not being able to help, but the manager just made the whole store and company look bad in front of everyone that was checking out over <$10.

I can only suspect they thought hed go out and tell all his homeless friends and they have a giant line of people wanting free stuff.
>>
>>3140475
>>$7.99 gamestop sticker from eons ago still on the TMNT cart
>BUT IT WAS ACTUALLY 800 DOLLARS! For 75 bucks it's a steaaaaalll!
>>
>>3144502
If I recall, staff aren't allowed to even have cash on them if they're on the shop floor in order to protect them from theft accusations.
>>
>>3137197
Whats bad about emulation?
>>
>>3137506
This is why I'm pro emulation. No one is going to pay $60 for a beat up game.
>>
File: turboexpress-bonk.jpg (57 KB, 504x399) Image search: [Google]
turboexpress-bonk.jpg
57 KB, 504x399
>>3140257
I snagged a minty TurboExpress that was sitting amongst sandwich makers and VHS tape rewinders for $5.99.

In another part of that Goodwill, I found Bonk's Adventure and Bonk's Revenge for $2.99 a pop.

Pic related!
>>
Goodwill here in Atlanta sells retro consoles up front behind the glass. Scratched/stained dreamcast with one busted controller: $80. Same price for a SNES once.
>>
>>3140405
Might go here for 360 games. Since it's a legacy console might be worth it.
>>
File: 20160416_211916364_iOS.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160416_211916364_iOS.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Not entirely /vr/, but I just got an interesting set of stuff today at the local Goodwill. Those are complete-in-box copies of the PC games. $40 for everything in the picture.
>>
>>3144256
>>>3144025
Doesn't realize people pretend to be homeless to get free shit
>>
>>3144812
Who are the chicks on the GH boxes?
I of course know the guys, but I know of no good female guitarists. Why have them on the boxes?
>>
>>3144812
I think I'm most jelly of those Star Wars tapes. Pre-Special Edition goodness.
>>
>>3144939
Yeah I was surprised to see them. For 99 cents I couldn't go wrong. Shame they didn't have ANH there too.
>>
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/

Most Goodwills these days automatically filter out their better donations and put them up for auction on this site. Art, antiques, handbags, and yes, vidya.

Not all Goodwills participate, but most do
>>
>>3144991
Just got back from my local Goodwill, the place was 99% clothes. Not even a hint of vidya in the store. I did pick up some 45 RPM vinyl singles though; Richie Valens, Little Richard, CCR, pretty good stuff.

>>3144991
What a fucking rip off. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Nintendo-SNES-Adventure-of-Batman--Robin-Game-29080019.html
>>
>>3145039
>What a fucking rip off

15 people have bid on this, how can it be a ripoff if thats what theyre willing to pay?
>>
>>3145039
>What a fucking rip off
>When the initial starting price was $7.99

Do people not check bid histories anymore?
>>
>>3140407
Is this the one named "Mario World" in Florida? Fuck that douche.
>>
>>3136893
only ps2 and pc games lately
>>
>>3139202
upload it pls
>>
>>3138030

This is a "the grid" shop. Goodwill is the parent company.

http://nerdist.com/the-grid-is-north-carolinas-classic-gaming-shrine/
>>
>>3137040
huh the Savers in my town is doing pretty good, might just be bad luck for the ones in your area

>>3137336
they're a bunch of religious assholes, that and their stores are near universally poorly organized
>>
>>3145490
homo sythiser detected
>>
>>3144813
Dude went all out with his charade.
Had a walking stick, big backpack full of stuff and a bag. Also a nice covering of dirt and a bit of smell. All for a shitty $5 coat.
>>
>>3144813
They should be free anyway. Goodwill steals peoples free shit and makes a profit. Fuck them
>>
>>3145059
Because people are dumb?
>>
>>3146940
No, it's because you are superior.

This is what you've been wanting to hear all your life.
>>
>>3137323

They're also a "charity" that exploits one of those little-known laws from the 1920s to pay their disabled employees literally pennies an hour.
>>
>>3147284
I remember reading some story about this. Don't they also get some sort of tax break or funding or something because they hire the disabled? Seems to really be betraying the spirit of the law when you get benefits for going through the trouble of employing disabled people while simultaneously paying them sub-minimum wage.
>>
>>3147024
Thanks for the ego boost! Here's your (you)
>>
>>3147284
its only the mentally retarded that can be paid those wages, and basically i see it as a service goodwill/SA provides

nobody else would hire these retards, so theyd have to be stuck in a home all day under supervision and being other unproductive. goodwill gets labor out of it, the families get a 'babysitter' they dont have to pay for, and the retards get to feel useful to society

there's many things you can fault goodwill and the salvation army for, but this isnt really one of them
>>
>>3145039

that batman game is going for $90 at retail, for some reason. so no, its about average.
>>
>>3147532
It's still a stupid price
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.