[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
C64
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 606x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 606x404
There are so many fucking games for this thing. What are /vr/'s favorites?
>>
>>3136829
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Commodore_64
>>
>>3136829
Used to have a C64 & 1541 disk drive, but not that monitor. Parents made me give it all away.
Now I have that monitor, but no C64/1541.

Anyway, I really enjoyed playing Sargon, Black Magic, and Realms of Impossibility back in the day.
>>
>>3136829
Defender of the Crown

Epic

Also Bard's Tale and Hawkeye
>>
I still find myself humming tunes from the c64. Park patrol, commando, sanxion, last ninja. This thing burned. Itself into my very being.
>>
Ignore Yuropoors trying to sell you on shitty knockoffs of Japanese games.
>>
>>3137053
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne-09Bs_bRo

Still gives me the chills. That game was better than Super Mario
>>
>>3136836
>>3137058
Been going through a lot of the PAL games which are actually pretty good. Is this a meme?
>>
File: 1388310087741.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1388310087741.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>3137071
Germany had a pretty big C64 scene with many good games. Don't know where this hatred comes from.

>mfw no one outside of germany knows about teacher buster
>>
>>3136829
bruce lee
Alleykat
Beach-Head II: The Dictator Strikes Back
Blue Max
boulder dash
Boulder Dash II: Rockford's Revenge
Boulder Dash II: Rockford's Revenge
Chip's Challenge
CJ's Elephant Antics
Commando Arcade Edition
Creature 2
creatures
Cyberdyne Warrior
Cybernoid II: The Revenge
Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine
Druid
exile
Gauntlet
Ghostbusters
Ghosts 'n Goblins Arcade Edition
Goonies, The
Green Beret
hero
Hudson Hawk
Iridis Alpha
Jumpman
Jumpman Junior
Lode Runner
mayhem in monsterland
Montezuma's Revenge
Mr. Robot and his Robot Factory
Ninja
Nobby the Aardvark
P.P. Hammer
paradroid
Parallax
Park Patrol
Pitstop II
Platoon
project firestart
Raid on Bungeling Bay
Raid Over Moscow
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Retrograde
Rolling Ronny
samurai warrior
Scarabaeus
Spy vs Spy
Super Pipeline
Thing on a Spring
Thrust
Toy Bizarre
Ultimate Wizard
Uridium
Who Dares Wins II
wizzball
Zorro
>>
>>3137091
>Spy vs Spy

Oh man that game was the shit
>>
>>3136829
Really, no mention of Jumpman or Loderunner?
>>
>>3137102
>overrated

They were both awesome
>>
>>3137108
You never played Turrican, have you? Especially try playing it and then playing Mega Man 2-3, the games it ripped off of.

>no invincibility frames
>absolutely terrible controls
>terrible level designs
>completely generic enemies that mostly look like an indistinct lump of brown and gray pixels
>>
>>3137115
I've played it on C64, Amiga and even the fan remake on PC
>>
>>3137115
>>3137123
http://www.winterworks.de/project/hurrican/

Awesome game
>>
>>3137123
And you never played Mega Man I take it. If you did you'd see how poorly designed most Yuropoor games actually were compared to Jap console titles which were made to extremely exacting standards.

The thing is, Eurodevs were fantastic at graphics and music, but when it came to actual gameplay, they were amazingly terrible.
>>
>>3137091
Maniac Mansion
>>
>>3137131
No I've actually played all NES Megaman games, which were great. I even have the first one, which cost me over 100 DM back then because it wasn't released here.

I still have the console and about 40 games.

Don't know why you're so hateful about German games.

Mega Man was on a league of it's own, but that doesn't make Turrican a bad game.
>>
>>3137142 again

Gemini Man stage best stage.
>>
And Turrican was still above the level of most European C64 games which were tape shovelware sold at Tesco's and cobbled together by some neckbeard in three weeks.
>>
>>3137163
That's just a Britbong problem because they couldn't afford disks for some reason. Continental Europeans always had 1541s on their Commodores.
>>
>>3137163
>still this mad about europe making good games on the c64 after all these years

M8 what's up? Can I help you?
>>
>>3137175
While you were jerking it to Mayhem in Monsterland, Americans already had Ultima VII and Wolf 3D.
>>
>>3137181
>1993

We had these games as well. I don't know what you're on about.

I built my first 486 in 1992.
>>
>>3137091
>Cyberdyne Warrior
My nigga. Literally NEVER see this one mentioned anywhere, despite the Apex being kind of a big deal. Loved it as a kid.

Gonna throw in a vote for 'Arnie' as an underrated budget gem. Isometric Commando knockoff. Short game, shit graphics, bleep bloop sounds but somehow manages to be insanely satifying mechanically. Well worth a play. Shame the sequel was horseshit.
>>
>>3137181
>He thinks PCs were some kind of US exclusive.
What? I've never understood this. We were playing both, m8.
>>
>>3137205
Propaganda probably told them that the Soviet Union was comparable to western Europe.
>>
>>3137091
>Montezuma's Revenge
This was the most popular Apple II game at my middle school.
>>
>>3137205
This tbqh.

Europe has always been PC territory. Even today, we're more PC than consoles.
It's always getting a good PC first and consoles are optional.
>>
>>3137058
>Ignore Yuropoors trying to sell you on shitty knockoffs of Japanese games.
Also ignore Clapistanis who were rubbing themselves raw to garbage like Commander fucking Keen while SMW was a thing, or pretending Jazz Jackrabbit wasn't dire while people with a shred of self awareness were playing Sonic 3.

Round-eyed baka gaijins wrecked for free.
>>
>>3137205
Are you using the term "PC" to refer to IBM compatibles or to personal computers in general. Because it's pretty well known that they couldn't put Doom on the Amiga for technical reasons.
>>
>>3137232
I don't know anyone who jerks it to Commander Keen other than a couple of nostalgiafags. That game was basically a joke compared to a 1991 console game like Sonic 1 or Streets of Rage.
>>
>>3137217
How does the C64 version play?
>>3137091
Gonna go through the lot of these. Playing Bruce lee right now, it's fucking great
>>
>>3137217
Better color picture without the fake scanlines.
>>
>>3137232
Are you now saying that Jazz Jackrabbit was bad?

Holy crap.
>>
>>3137239
Actually you're not wrong. I did have a Spectrum as a child and later on when I saw NES games running, I realised what cheap, hard to control, and frustrating rubbish that most Speccy games were.
>>
But at the same time, you'll have silly nostalgiafags say that Jet Set Willy or Superfrog were glorious because they had them when they were 10 years old.
>>
>>3137240
You need to play Defender of the Crown.

That was the best ever C64 game for me.

>strategy
>combat
>aiming catapults during sieges
>literally being able to call robin of the hood as a reinforcement
>rescuing the princess and mating with her
>>
>>3137240
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-h8zLM2jA

Better sound, nicer colors, smoother animation, and easier to control.
>>
>>3137264
Yes and guess what? Cinemaware were not a Yuropoor dev.
>>
>>3137264
Also

>dem fencing battles with hype as fuck soundtrack
>>
>>3137115

>>3134243
:^)
>>
>>3137280
Who cares?

Are you just shitposting for the sake of shitposting in your epic battle against other countries?
>>
>>3137286
>I laughed when some Europoor didn't understand why Mega Man was better

I'd certainly be willing to bet that >>3137108 is the same Yuro you're referencing.
>>
>>3137289
I'm still here and that wasn't me.

You seem to have a deep problem with Europe m8.

Why would you even bring up /pol/ bullshit on /vr/?
>>
>>3137115
AKSHULLY the game Turrican ripped off was Psycho Nics Oscar for arcade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZqkbqe_I8
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (81 KB, 384x360) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
81 KB, 384x360
>>3137301
>>
>>3137264
It's definitely on my list. I didn't know how many good games were for this thing, don't know why I've been sleeping on it for so long

>>3137279
Wow this looks better than the colecovision port
>>
>>3137297
I am British and I have to acknowledge that most of our home computer games were very amateurish and badly designed compared to Nintendo's stuff. Don't know what cunt you come from.
>>
>>3137320
>using "yuro" and "yuropoor" as a derogative as a brit

I expected ignorant Americans to do this, but you hit the cake.
>>
>>3137326
I'm not >>3137289
>>
>>3137335
Oh you're not? Sorry then. I'm German if you wondered my country.
>>
>>3137236
Yes. IBM compatibles.

And yeah. Doom kind of marked the real turning point and the start of people jumping ship in earnest over here in Britland. Even at that point there was still a bunch of stuff that was better played on the Amiga but it was incredibly clear which direction things were going in. The writing had been on the wall for a while and Commodore's legendary fucking ineptitude and short-sightedness did them absolutely no favours.

By 1994 Commodore was fucked and there weren't many outside of the diehard fanboys who weren't also playing on PC or making plans to do so.
>>
>>3137337
No wonder. Back to back world war losing champions. The entire German nation should have just been razed to the ground and salt sown in the earth.
>>
File: new and improved.png (456 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
new and improved.png
456 KB, 1280x800
>>3137248
>>
>>3137346
Looks like a shitty Flash game.
>>
>>3137305
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjzSPxI2Jvg

7:14
>>
File: lookin good.jpg (50 KB, 615x593) Image search: [Google]
lookin good.jpg
50 KB, 615x593
>>3137346
>>
>>3137236
Most people had access to both camps by the early 90s but not many had their 'own' PC. The cost of them meant they were serious business shit sitting on Dad's desk that also happened to play some games.

There's a reason us 8-bit micro and Amiga/ST fanboys that grew up playing that stuff are loyal to the point of frothing insanity - these were OUR machines in a way PCs just weren't and it's reflected in the culture that sprang up around them.
>>
>>3137370
>dad was a programmer and got me an outdated IBM XT from his workplace together with a thick BASIC handbook when I was 6
>got into programming games before even learning english
>learned english through computer programs
>went to school
>teachers were amazed that a german 6 year old actually knew english in the 80s

Thanks so much based dad. He wrote programs in fucking COBOL
>>
>>3137370
>There's a reason us 8-bit micro and Amiga/ST fanboys that grew up playing that stuff are loyal to the point of frothing insanity - these were OUR machines in a way PCs just weren't and it's reflected in the culture that sprang up around them.

Luckily I'm not so blinded by nostalgia as this twat and unwilling to acknowledge what poorly designed, hard to control nonsense that most home computer games were.
>>
>>3137395
Mate, almost every single game out there right now is much worse designed and hard to control than the games back then.
There are a few examples that go beyond this trend like the Souls games or Path of Exile and Elite Dangerous.
Those games were actually about gameplay. You're fooling yourself.
>>
>>3137401
Yep, exactly as I said. Nostalgia boys who think Superfrog was a great game because they played it when they were 10.
>>
I remember liking the usagi yojimbo game for it.
>>
File: Usenet.png (51 KB, 1435x600) Image search: [Google]
Usenet.png
51 KB, 1435x600
>>3137403
>>3137401
>>3137395
Obligatory. ;)
>>
>>3137403
Nope, exactly as you haven't said. Just going "you prove my point" as an argument won't help you anything.
You have to look at those games.
Let me give an example

Tyrian

That game was an instant classic and it will drive you to hour long sessions even today because it's a fucking great game.
Try that with any of today's releases barring examples of the games I just mentioned.
>>
File: Usenet2.png (49 KB, 1386x514) Image search: [Google]
Usenet2.png
49 KB, 1386x514
>>3137410
>>
>>3137395
>Implying I've made a single post disagreeing with you.
You do know that not everyone who says something that gets you all cross and huffy about video games is the same person right? You do understand that?
>>
Knight 'n' Grail is pretty good. Was made long after the C64's time though.
>>
>>3137416
>>3137410
Yeah...I'm probably older than most of you guys (who are probably all under 22 or something) and I do remember those days and yeah there were always plenty of people like these who claimed "their" era of video games was the best one. Best to just not give them the time of day.
>>
File: Untitled.png (40 KB, 641x505) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
40 KB, 641x505
>>3137415
I'm actually playing Tyrian in 2016. Doing a new complete run.

This game is just too good. Pic related right now.

It runs perfectly in DOSBOX.
>>
>>3137425
>Yeah...I'm probably older than most of you guys (who are probably all under 22 or something)
That's an insult. I just told you my father had an XT and progammed COBOL in the 80s.
>>
>>3137415
>Try that with any of today's releases barring examples of the games I just mentioned

What specific games of today have poor design/gameplay?
>>
>>3137437
That's just gonna derail the thread into modern gaming discussion. We were having a good run up to this point.
>>
>>3137425
>thread full of us who spent many posts talking about having gamed on Spectrums and Amigas in the 80s-90s
>we're under 22

What.
>>
>>3137441
I think he's implying you're all a bunch of rong generation kids who watched an e-celeb reviewing Spectrum games.
>>
>>3137416
>Toobin'
>Last great game
Sweet Jesus, I'd like some of whatever this guy was smoking.
>>
>>3137445
Does the Speccy have an e-celeb following? Honestly curious here. Only ever run in to other old brits even touching that stuff.
>>
>>3137425
I'm 33 and I think I'm one of the younger guys around.
>>
>>3137451
>Only ever run in to other old brits even touching that stuff.
Those would be the nostalgic twats I mentioned. Actually the Spectrum wasn't even as good as the C64 or Amstrad, it was a low-cost computer for people who didn't have the budget for the latter two. There are absolutely no Speccy games that don't also exist on the C64/Amstrad and zero reason to still play with the thing outside of nostalgia.
>>
>>3137452
Dude, you're probably a good 10 years older than the next oldest person here because almost the entire board are kids who came here after watching e-celebs.
>>
>>3137434
>someone impersonated me as a joke

It's actually true though :)

8088 XT when I was 6. Put all of my first communion money into a 486 SX 33. Later on got a DX4-120 and a Tseng ET4000 for Duke Nukem 3D.
>>
>>3136913
That list is shit, it doesn't even mention Flimbo's Quest.

Klax and Fiendish Freddy's Big Top'o'fun were also both great.
>>
>>3137457
>/g/ e-celebs

Do they even exist? That 33 years old dude here. Honest question.
>>
>>3137462
I never looked into it but they probably do exist.
>>
>>3137462
>/g/

Shit sorry I assumed we were on /g/ because that's pretty much the only board I post on besides /vr/. I'm getting senile
>>
>>3137454
>Those would be the nostalgic twats I mentioned.
I can understand that. Less so when people legitimately try to hold that stuff up as some glorious pinnacle of gaming, but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to go back and revisit the stuff you cut your teeth on.

The Speccy's a pretty interesting machine just in terms of the stuff people managed to pull off on such garbage hardware, too, and the tricks they employed to get the most out of it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (41 KB, 643x500) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
41 KB, 643x500
Fuck.. Tyrian is still such a great game

Having a blast right now
>>
If anyone cared to think about it, nearly all important innovations in PC gaming came from American devs. The Japanese stole from us; without Ultima there would never be a Squaresoft.
>>
>>3137473
Makes me wonder why there are no mods for Tyrian. Being as it is, that game is begging for custom episodes, enemies and weapons to extend it even more.
>>
>>3137479
Agreed. We've historically ruled PC gaming and Japan has ruled console gaming. And what did Yurop do? Nothing.
>>
>>3137479
But Wizardry and Ultima were British games, if anything the Japanese stole from them.
>>
>>3137495
Japan never ruled jack shit.
>>
>>3137495
"Yurop" does modern PC gaming. Nearly every innovative game comes from Europe, while the US just shits out Cawadoody clones.
>>
>>3137517
Eastern Yurop of all places.
>>
File: Path-of-Exile-logo.jpg (81 KB, 580x300) Image search: [Google]
Path-of-Exile-logo.jpg
81 KB, 580x300
>>3137517
Also the best ARPG in a very long time is actually from New Zealand. The US has lost its top spot at making video games. PoE literally shits on D3 and it's free.
>>
File: deponia.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
deponia.jpg
303 KB, 1920x1080
>>3137520
Germany has the crown of point and click adventures. They actually still produce top notch huge selling games in that genre while everybody else is dead.

Pic related
>>
>>3137513
>counting Richard Garriot as British when he's been a US citizen for all but the first six months of his life
>>
>>3137526
>>3137521

>>3137440
>>
>>3137531
Sorry for "derailing". I was just trying to throw some people who were unaware that their favorite genres are still alive in the right direction.
>>
>>3137528
Besides, only his mother was British.
>>
>>3137535 again

Deponia is pretty much Monkey Island in this decade. This game is so fucking great that I still can't believe it's a modern game.

It's actually successful in the 2010s besides all the competition from modern "AAA" murder simulators.
A freaking point and click adventure in these times.

You have to give a little credit there.
>>
>>3137545
Oh and they just released the fourth game. It might even surpass Monkey Island if this keeps going on.
>>
PAC adventures have been nonexistent for so long that the genre is essentially new to kids today. People were suffering adventure game burnout by the late 90s. Sometimes you need to go away for a while to become fresh again.
>>
>>3137557
>PAC adventures have been nonexistent for so long that the genre is essentially new to kids today

It's kinda weird to read this from a German perspective, because the genre has been thriving for ever. It was never dead here. We love this shit.
>>
>>3137569
It's like this. Adventure games were one of the cornerstones of computer gaming right through the first half of the 90s, but during the Windows 9x era they started losing popularity. Sanitarium was one of the last important ones. I assumed people just got tired of the things.

But if you're a 10 year old today, even a 20 year old, you never lived in the Leisure Suit Larry days so adventure games are something new you've never seen before.
>>
>>3137557
>>3137569
We even make point and click adventures for the international audience :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ0B8Kctx18
>>
>>3137581
Mate you really have to try Deponia. It's a new Monkey Island level adventure and it's already at the 4th part.
I usually don't recommend games but this will give you straight feelings that you had in the 90s.
>>
>>3137557
And I think platformers may come back at some point, but they died after the PS2 era because again, burnout after they completely dominated console games for years and years.
>>
>C64
>Not glorious speccy
>Not glorious atari
>>
>>3137612
>Atari
Take your MIDI ports and get out. This is Amiga country.
>>
>>3137612
>used to play a metagame i called "atari super game" with my friends in the 80s
>everyone got domino stones with different colors as money
>who won atari games could collect the stones the other people bet
>also there was a rule with plastic soldiers moving along the tiles in our house
>people were able to conquer bases with plastic soldiers
>we actually played this for weeks

I really want to remember the rules we made up back then. It was crazy.
>>
>>3137616
I kid. The Macintosh is the preferred choice for those wanting a decent monitor
>>
>>3137620 again

This took place in a three floor house and took place about months.
I remember that two of my friends stormed their armies up from the cellar to take the stairs back and we dropped domino stones on them for some retarded reason.
The rules were made up while we played the game but it was the best time ever.
>>
>>3137232
Yeesh, obvious "I wasn't alive then but I'm gonna act like I was!" poster spotted. Despite what you read on Wikipedia, no one really gave a shit about the "smooth scrolling" in Commander Keen, it was just another shareware title you could grab for a dollar or two and play. It stood out by the sole virtue of not being a shit shareware game like so many were. No one was considering it high-end, period. Everyone was too busy losing their shit in 1991 over Another World(Out of this World), Lemmings, and Civilization.

Jazz Jackrabbit? Another shareware title? Why not mention the titles that were actually popular at the time, like System Shock, or X-Com, or DOOM 2?

You really ruin your own argument comparing flagship AAA titles against bargain bin shareware titles. It comes across as passive-aggressive, like you know what you are defending is shit, so you have to make unfair comparisons to make your side not look like shit.
>>
Any good text adventures for the C64?
>>
>>3137856
Infocom is all you need.
>>
>>3137787
I saw a ton of nostalgiafags wanking to Commander Keen and it's a staple of retro PC gaming sites, but that didn't mean that game was actually worth anything.
>>
>>3137891
I can play all of those on DOS though, any exclusive to the C64 itsself is what I meant.
>>
>>3137912
Don't know of any good exclusives.
>>
You can argue all you want how many innovative PC games are coming out of Europe today, but this is a C64 thread on a retro gaming board and in the C64's time, all Yuropoors did was half-assed clones of Japanese console games.
>>
>>3137091
This Anon knows his shit, but don't forget Impossible Mission.
>>
>>3137787
Commander Keen didn't even have smooth scrolling, it was only 35fps. Jazz Jackrabbit was the first with smooth scrolling.
>>
File: wizball_2.gif (18 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
wizball_2.gif
18 KB, 640x400
>>3138028
they did put their own special twist otherwise their stuff wouldn't feel so weird and autist
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xldsLmMJXGA

IBM version. This is a surprisingly good conversion of the game although unfortunately CGA only.
>>
The original C64 Wizball is the best version, the rest are just ports.
>>
File: Hitman.jpg (11 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
Hitman.jpg
11 KB, 570x300
>>3137495
Denmark reporting in
>>
>>3139125
not retro
>>
bards tale
seven cities of gold
beach head
gunship
crescent hawks inception
curse of azure bonds
kings quest 3
labyrinth
druid
ghostbusters
auto duel
>>
>>3139179
>>>/oven/
>>
File: PiratesSee2.gif (6 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
PiratesSee2.gif
6 KB, 320x200
Sid Meier's Pirates! cracked by Eagle Soft
>>
>>3139492
Eaglesoft were the only cracking group capable of breaking the Satan-tier copy protection on this game which is why you don't see any other cracks of it.
>>
>>3136836
>>3137058
>>3137102
>>3137181
>>3137280
>>3137395
>>3137403

(You)

Can we please have just ONE fucking C64 discussion without you derailing it with your stupid "demoscene autistic Yuropoor" agenda bullshit? You've been at it for maybe a year now.
>>
>>3139836
im honestly not even these guys and its 100 true
>>
>>3137286
lol anon that second post you quoted is actually me, not him

i still maintain that turrican is poorly designed tripe
>>
>>3137115
I purposely left turrican off the big list a few posts up because of the reasons you mentioned. Manfred Trenz was a hack. It's extremely overrated although i don't think it ripped off mega man. The only good thing about Turrican is the music in Turrican 2 on the Amiga.
>>
>>3139940
Manfred Trenz was a brilliant programmer. Anyone who's tried programming for the C64 can confirm that.

His level design fucking sucked though.
>>
>>3136829
I always liked Knight Games. It's a multi-player game where you compete in medieval ren faire type events: jousting, archery, crossbow, all manner of weapons in single combat, etc.

Pretty basic by today's standards but it was fun.

Racing Destruction Set is still a classic as is Beach Head for its amazing 'digitized voices.'

Deeper games, you have Elite at least. There are probably others, I didn't own a C64 myself. I borrowed one from the school though (SX-64 actually it was kick ass).

The C64 was really a heap of shit compared to other computers on the market say by 1986 or 1987. I had access to Apple ][s from early childhood onward and still have the IIgs I got as a kid, works great and is souped up with modern enhancements.
>>
>>3138284
Smooth scrolling != high fps.
>>
>>3140845
Keen had neither.
>>
>>3137061

How do people stick with this fucking delusional shit? Better than SMB? Giana Sisters has shit physics and feels like fucking molasses you doublenigger.
>>
>>3141313
It also has significantly less content and the music is fairly unmemorable.
>>
>>3140332
>The C64 was really a heap of shit compared to other computers on the market say by 1986 or 1987

As compared to an IBM PC with bleeper sound and rubbish CGA colours?
>>
>>3140332
>IIgs
>zero software outside kiddie edugames
Talk about a paperweight.
>>
>>3141331
Apple were actually much worse computers. They essentially did not exist in the UK back then. We had the BBC Micro to fill the school market.

>>3140332
This anon has quite an Apple boner as he seems to be a nostalgia goggles cunt.
>>
>>3141334
He's probably under 20 and found his dad's Apple II in the attic.
>>
>>3141327
EGA was common in 86, VGA came out in 87.
Amiga 1000 came out in 85 and the 500 in 87.
Atari ST was also available since 85.
Acorn Archimedes came out in 87.

The C64 was decent for 8 bit systems aside from the Japanese trinity.
>>
>>3141350
>The C64 was decent for 8 bit systems aside from the Japanese trinity

Which nobody except weebs care about anyway, but I digress.
>>
>>3141350
>>3140332
>The C64 was really a heap of shit compared to other computers on the market say by 1986 or 1987

They had the C128 out by that time though.
>>
>>3141375
There are very few games for the C128, I had one myself and nearly all games required C64 mode.
It seems like the main point was CP/M.
>>
>>3137061
Cool intro =/= good game. Actually I wonder how much better GGS could have been without all the memory wasted by the intro.
>>
>>3141383
CP/M was a dead OS by the late 80s, the C128 ran faster in native 65xx mode anyway than the slug-like 2Mhz Z80 included with it (most Z80 machines ran at 3-4Mhz).
>>
>>3141342
I don't fucking get it. Why is there always some trolls in here saying I'm underage and found my uncle's shit in the attic?

Why do 90s shitbabbies always get mad that people older than they might be here.
>>
>>3141383
It didn't have enough game support and if you ask me, they should have just discontinued the C64 and replaced it with the C128 entirely in 85-86, maybe keeping it for the UK market because no disk drives.
>>
>>3141414
It made more sense to upgrade to the Amiga for both customers and Commodore.
Keeping the C64 as the base model allowed them to cut costs and ensure compatibility across the board.
The C65 and C64GS were really stupid ideas though.
>>
>>3137410
>Collapse of video game market
Stop it. Just stop it. "Atari fucking up" wasnt it and you know it, so stop fucking pretend like whole industry was fucking at stake.
>>
File: destruction.jpg (196 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
destruction.jpg
196 KB, 1280x960
>>3137495
Oh don't mind me.
>>
>>3141425
IDk about from a business point of view, but the C128's extra memory could sure have been useful (you had about 90k available for programs versus 40-50k on the C64). Imagine for example how much easier it would have been to play Maniac Mansion if the game didn't need to constantly access the disk every room you go into. Or also having the 1571's faster speed and double sided disks. Or more music or other content that games could have had.
>>
t>>3141462
>>
>>3141428
Great, you can get a time machine back to 1993 and argue with him on rec.games.video.
>>
>>3137458
>Put all of my first communion money
Was that before or after the priest did those things to your B-hole.
>>
>>3141490
doohoohoo
>>
>>3137458
DX4 was pretty good for Duke, Blood, Strike Commander and the like. Not so much for Quake. The Pentiums had a big advantage there, because of better floating point operation.
>>
File: 1.png (408 KB, 640x399) Image search: [Google]
1.png
408 KB, 640x399
>>3136829

Pool of Radiance
>>
File: POR.png (6 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
POR.png
6 KB, 320x200
>>3141502
That is the IBM version, you amazing retard.
>>
>>3141505
>>3141502
man, I don't know anyone in this day and age who has the patience for 80s CRPGs.
>>
>>3141505
>>3141502
Just play that shit on the Amiga instead.
>>
>>3141505

cool, thanks for fixing
>>
>>3141518

I just come here for the nostalgia sometimes, so this is probably well known, but I saw a LP with someone playing it with a "gold box companion" that sort of made playing them less tedious.
>>
>>3141526

I would've liked to, but my buddy had the 64. No complaints here though... We would play for hours over the summer, using the D&D table top game manuals as guides, referencing the monstrous compendium, and sampling his collection of little bottles of german liqour. We plugged in my sega master system gamepad and it worked great... Good shit
>>
>>3141537
I'd like to check that LP out, got a link?
>>
>>3141326
i dont think memorability is the worst part

the worst part is how unfitting it really is, like what the fuck is that reggae overworld theme
>>
>>3141373
And various European countries which had the MSX.

I'm kind of jealous of them, but then they had 50hz.
>>
>>3141817
A lot of Euro games had the music done by professional SID composers for hire who often did techno dance tunes that had nothing to do with the game.
>>
>>3141826
The only thing MSX was good for were poor-quality Spectrum conversions.
>>
>>3141832
And those are invariably done by lazy Europeans.

Clearly you've never seen a Konami game for it.
>>
>>3141826
MSX is not part of the PC88-X1-FM7 trinity.
>>
>>3141848
The Sharp X1 is a joke.
>>
>>3141326
You know that GGS is 50k in size while SMB is 40k yet has twice as much content.
>>
>>3141313
C64 fag here. Yep, you're correct - Giana Sisters is utter rubbish.
>>3141832
Yeahnah, Konami made a bunch of classics for it.
>>
How does the C64 version of Bard's Tale compare to the DOS version? I wanted to replay that game (played DOS back in the day) but if the C64 one has any improvement or fun quirk I might go with that version instead.
>>
>>3139836
>>3139837

That anon's right. The C64 has a lot of pretty games that don't play that well. Even Creatures and Mayhem in Monsterland would make for very average NES games.

The Renegade series is pretty good desu, though I prefer the Spectrum versions.
>>
>>3143332
but isn't renegade just a port of an arcade game made by Technos
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ZDJ4Lzm80
>>
>>3141331
>>3141334

IIgs had Ys anon, as well as NARC and Keef the Thief as well as Tower of Myraglen, Shadowgate, Thexder, Bubble Ghost, Space Ace which was pretty fucking amazing for ANY home computer at that time, etc...

Plus access to the entire Apple ][ library.

Plus you can now take it on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbqLEU35d0E

Fuckin' punk kids.

>>3141327
By 1987 you had the IIgs, the Amiga, the Atari, and the Macintosh II on the market. Plenty of machines that blew the IBM PC with CGA or even EGA out of the water.

>>3141375
>They had the C128 out by that time though.
The C128 had way fewer exclusives than the IIgs, and the IIgs only had a few hundred titles give or take depending on what you think 'software' is.

Anyway, it also was inferior to the IIgs from a technological standpoint.

Let's just face it anons, we had a lot of fun times with our C64s with our buddies, who can forget the thrill of a 4 FUCKING PLAYER GAME OF MULE! But the system itself was more or less a piece of crap, crippled, slow, cheap, and inferior. It was the Go Bots of computers. Better than nothing but not the real deal in any way.
>>
>>3141390
It's the same guy and he collects (You)'s.
>>
>>3143548
C128 is more comparable to the ][C. The IIgs is a full 16 bit computer with backward compatibility and not just a souped up model.

>Plenty of machines that blew the IBM PC with CGA or even EGA out of the water.
And that's why IBM released the PS/2 with VGA.
>>
>>3143548
>But the system itself was more or less a piece of crap, crippled, slow, cheap, and inferior

Are you sure you don't have the C64 confused with the Spectrum?
>>
>>3144026

>>3143548
Is clearly someone under 20 who gets all his knowledge of old computers from Wikipedia.
>>
>>3141334
>Apple were actually much worse computers

Apple II was 70s technology; it belonged to the pre-video game crash era and quite laughably primitive.
>>
>>3143548
>IIgs had Ys anon, as well as NARC and Keef the Thief as well as Tower of Myraglen, Shadowgate, Thexder, Bubble Ghost, Space Ace

Aside from TOM, literally all of those games also exist on the Amiga and are much better versions.
>>
>>3144026
Eh. The Spectrum is fun to play on. Terrible from a technical standpoint but fun.
>>3144053
>Apple II was 70s technology; it belonged to the pre-video game crash era and quite laughably primitive.

Well it was created in 1977 and only kept being sold because the Apple 3 flopped and the Macintosh wasn't seen as much of a gaming computer.

Apparently the video-game crash didn't affect home computers much, except for in Europe where it basically sunk the Spectrum and almost killed off the Elk.
>>
>>3144026
Reread his posts. He's probably an Apple employee.
>>
>>3144063
>Apparently the video-game crash didn't affect home computers much, except for in Europe where it basically sunk the Spectrum and almost killed off the Elk
I dunno what allergy medication you're on, but cut the dosage.
>>
>>3143548
>By 1987 you had the IIgs, the Amiga, the Atari, and the Macintosh II on the market. Plenty of machines that blew the IBM PC with CGA or even EGA out of the water.

I am a fan of old Apples as much as anyone else but the IIgs was pretty outdated. The Macintosh was great but not the IIgs.
>>3144069
As mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983#Competition_from_home_computers

One of the reasons for the crash was competition from computers. You could use a computer for anything, including games, while a console was a plastic toy for kids only.
>>
The IIgs has amazingly god-level sound and...absolutely nothing else. Frame buffer graphics and an incredibly slow CPU (but could be fixed with accelerators). Probably about 80% of them went to the educational market and there's very little software for them outside of The Learning Company and Broderbund shit.
>>
>>3144074
>One of the reasons for the crash was competition from computers

This is a commonly stated, but incorrect myth. Actually the personal computer market crashed and burned hard during 1983-85 due to the loss of interest in video games (big driver of homer computer sales), Commodore's destruction of the low-end market, IBM's destruction of the high end market, and market oversaturation (way too many competing computer architectures).

The casualty list was long. North Star, Osborne, Morrow, Texas Instruments, Atari, Cromemco, and more all went under or withdrew from the personal computer market. Aside from Apple, most of the rest switched to IBM compatibles in a hurry.
>>
>>3144083
Really? Huh. Thanks, didn't know that. I knew that the UK market crashed but didn't know about NA.
>>
>>3137458
DO YOU STILL HAVE THE TSENG ET-4000? PLEASE RESPOND.
>>
>>3144059
I don't think there's an Amiga port of Ys.
>>
File: c64.png (43 KB, 1088x520) Image search: [Google]
c64.png
43 KB, 1088x520
>>3137248
oh mah god it's more authentic this way, I hate people who use shaders to emulate CRTs
>>
File: archmage_live.jpg (88 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
archmage_live.jpg
88 KB, 640x440
>>3144301
You kind of do need that for C64 though, and VICE had such a filter ages before Mame started dicking with HLSL CRT filters.
>>
File: archmage_mc_god.png (28 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
archmage_mc_god.png
28 KB, 640x400
>>3144351
this is the original image.
C64 artists often took advantage of composite colour blending to create more colourful pictures.
>>
>>3137620
>>3137631
huh... this sounds kinda fun desu... I feel like I should modify these rules and make some sort of video game + board game + pen and paper hybrid mashup. video games = points/money/xp/ and other goodies and can be used with the chars on the board/map.

well fuck now im making this later
>>
>>3144076
>there's very little software for them outside of The Learning Company and Broderbund shit

That's not true at all anon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_IIGS_games
>>
>>3143375

The original Renegade was an arcade port. The sequels were original games made by the people who did the port.

Don't play 3, by the way.
>>
File: deus4.jpg (17 KB, 350x223) Image search: [Google]
deus4.jpg
17 KB, 350x223
>>3136829
I unironically loved Deus Ex Machina. Had the emotional heft of a good walking simulator while managing to provide gameplay. Hell of a soundtrack, too.
>>
File: images (1).png (1 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
images (1).png
1 KB, 320x200
One of the cosiest c64 games ever. Also LCP
>>
>>3136829
Choplifter
Winter Olympics
Lode Runner
>>
>>3143305
I would imagine it has painful loading times.
>>3144301
>authentic
>>
>>3144910
Eh, when I played it on DOS, I did in a 8086 with only a floppy drive, so load times are not something I'd complain about when playing that game, in some sort of weird Pavlovian conditioning case.
>>
>>3144990
C64 load times are far far more terrible than any PC, even worse because PCs had quite a bit more memory. Best example I can think of is Maniac Mansion.

>have to access the disk any time you go into another room
>even with a built-in fastloader, it's still murderously slow

On the PC you can just install the damn thing to a hard disk and also with 3x as much memory to play with, you only need to load each portion of the game once.
>>
>>3144086
The computer and video game markets were closely intertwined and devs who specialized in arcade-style PC games such as Sirius and Synapse went under. Those who survived were devs like Origin, Sierra, and Broderbund who focused on the traditional computer genres such as CRPGs and simulations.

This also meant that after 1984, almost all C64/Amiga/Atari ST arcade ports were done in Europe and simply converted to NTSC for the US market.
>>
>>3145071
And although outfits like Osborne who did business computers weren't affected by the collapse of video game sales, they were smothered by the IBM juggernaut.

The crash also had the effect of removing casuals from the computer market - ever since the TRS-80 Model I, there had been lots of relative tech illiterates who bought computers for the purpose of trend-jumping and they didn't do a lot with them aside from play games and type in BASIC programs from magazines. Those people quickly got bored of home computers because of how comparatively limited they were in those days (you could play games and store recipes...whee).

So during the late 80s-early 90s, home computers were exclusively the provenance of neckbeards and then in mid-90s, when multimedia and the Web started appearing, casuals began buying computers again and this time it was permanent.
>>
>>3145064
Stock C64 loading times are shit, yes, but you can just plug in an Epyx Fast Load cart that effectively makes it 5x faster.

It's not compatible with absolutely everything (some retail copy-protected disks will have problems) but it's worked with everything else. There are other carts out there that are even faster but I think the Epyx is the most common one.
>>
>>3145064
>>3145086
the load times on the C64 aren't even the worst problem

the worst problem is the fact that devices like sd2iec are completely useless because programmers relied too much on 1541 quirks
>>
>>3145091
1541 Ultimate II works with everything but it's expensive as balls and it takes like half a year to get an order fulfilled.

Most of the games worth a damn have patched versions on csdb.dk that work with SD2IEC.
>>
>>3145086
>Stock C64 loading times are shit, yes, but you can just plug in an Epyx Fast Load cart that effectively makes it 5x faster.

A large number of games don't work with Fastload carts anyway because they used a custom DOS or performed low-level drive access or the game used the memory area occupied by the cart. Game instructions in fact very often instructed you to remove any cartridges from the computer prior to loading the program.

Fastload only works if your program uses strict CBM DOS calls or doesn't screw around with the $8000 area where the cartridge loads into.
>>
>>3145105
i mostly just want ultima iv remastered to work on it

the devs even sent the guy in charge of sd2iec all their documentation but the guy updates the firmware like every decade
>>
>>3145119
You know, you can just play the Amiga Ultima IV instead.
>>
>>3145185
you mean the computer i dont own?
>>
>>3145195
But you can download the ROM and UAE in a few mouse clicks.
>>
>>3145202
well i have a completely useless C64 and i thought i might as well make something out of it

im not buying a sd2iec until it supports that
>>
>>3145064
I wish they'd supported the C128 more, I really do.
>>
>>3144063
>Well it was created in 1977 and only kept being sold because the Apple 3 flopped

Apple III was intended as a business computer and more of an addition to the lineup than a replacement for the Apple II per se, in fact the Mac/Lisa would have replaced the older machines under original company plans.
>>
>>3145274
Still, it was just a more effective cash cow than the Mac
>>
>>3136829
Any Synapse, Broderbund, Origin, Microprose, Accolade, EA, and LucasArts.

(ignore Yuropoors who try to sell you on their crappy shmups with fart wave music)
>>
Is there any good C64 development documentation out there?

There just isn't a lot of assembler-agnostic stuff. It was pain in the ass to get a sprite to draw in CC65 because no one does it with byte code.

I also don't know where to go from drawing a sprite, I'm trying to make it move but it's too fast. I think I need to "get" interrupts.
>>
>>3144083
Commodore systems were popular in Europe into the early to mid 90s, and domestic computers in Japan lasted about the same time.
>>
>>3145787
He's talking about the US market.
>>
>>3145064
>have to access the disk any time you go into another room
>even with a built-in fastloader, it's still murderously slow

A 1541 Ultimate with a d64-to-crt converter is delightful for this.
>>
Say what you want, but the SID chip is amazing.
>>
Laser Squad
Impossible Mission
Archon
Pitstop II
International Soccer
Boulder Dash
International Karate +

etc.
>>
>>3149289
Though I'd probably recommend the Atari 8-bit versions of Archon and (especially) Boulder Dash.
>>
>>3149315
>not playing Archon on the Apple ][

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwDPZFA-nK4
>>
>>3151198
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUAr7xgwew

Why do. The Atari version looks and sounds nice, plays much smoother, and also it's the original version of the game while the others are just ports.
>>
>>3151851
He used to play the Apple version. Nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>3151851
Also probably easier to control.
>>
>>3143548
The IIGS never had NARC, it had a knockoff called Crime Wave.
>>
Post images of you guy's commodore setups
>>
>>3136829
>There are so many fucking games for this thing.
yes it was basicly a games console
>>
>>3136829
http://www.gamebase64.com/

25,000 games

I doubt any other home computer or game console can come close.
>>
>>3155046
25,000 games and 24,998 are shit
>>
>>3145083
Normies no longer buy desktops. Touchscreen devices suit their needs just fine.

Many "laptops" being sold today are really just tablets with keyboards attached by hinge.

I asked a normie if she has a computer. Her reply:

"Lol, my smartphone IS my computer!"
>>
File: Below_the_Root-title.png (2 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Below_the_Root-title.png
2 KB, 320x200
I've never talked to anyone else that has played this
>>
Space Taxi
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnIO9JsaCg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnww_FoopV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZEirawMmf8
>>
>>3156179

Interesting. Never encountered this before.
>>
This fucking game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lneziqWvs
>>
>>3160651
They also did Alice in wonderland.
>>
Death Wish 3 was sort of GTA of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_rSIg3CB38
>>
>>3161635
I see that was recorded off a real machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6x4wQJMLEc

You notice that emulators never seem to get the SID sound exactly right.
>>
>>3162076

Those indestructible grannies, everytime.
>>
How do I git gud with Monty on the Run? I want to beat it without cheating. The racing section is the hardest for me.
>>
>>3161635
>>3162076
I notice that the sound on the real C64 is deeper and more resonant than CCS64.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.