[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your personal cut off for what is retro? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 284x177
What is your personal cut off for what is retro? I don't mean the rules of the board don't apply but I am curious to hear about when you thought gaming had changed from what you grew up with.
>>
Anything after 2000 isn't retro.
>>
>>3135436
I personally believe three generations or more is considered retro in many respects. That would mean from sixth and later are not included (we're in the eighth generation now). So, PS1 and earlier are retro enough for me.

Personally, I grew up with a Model 2 and 3 Genesis and a handful of games, as well as a Game Boy. I swear, I loved the systems to death, and still have them stashed around my storage unit.
>>
I would say everything pre-Xbox/PS2/GameCube is retro for me. I'm sort of young to be browsing this board (19), so Dreamcast feels like it was before my time.
>>
240p
1st through 5th generations.

480i/480p or higher
Modern
>>
>>3135436
Anything that came out before you were born. So PS3
>>
>>3135456
Eat shit faggot. Born in 80. For me Playstation was the nail in the coffin for gaming. The foray into 3D bullshit was weak. I loved some PS1 games but after a few years of playing it, I stopped giving a fuck about vidya for many years after.
>>
To me personally retro goes all the way to Gamecube and Playstation 2. Retro ends by September 2001. When Microsoft enters the market with its own console two months later, retro officially ends to me personally. Sega leaving the console business is also a breakup point.

On the other hand, to try to put retro in a less personal definition, I would say every console that relies on physical media like cartridges and CDs is going to be retro eventually. We have hybrids working both with digital and physical media that stand on that edge but eventually if it used physical media at all, I would consider it retro.

To be honest I never actually thought about it thoroughly but what I wrote would be the general idea I have about classifying retro.
>>
>>3135461
Never, ever, ever reply to shitposting anon. I mean never NEVER ever reply to shitposting.
>>
>>3135476
Eh I was going to type the same exact message regardless. Might as well tell him to eat shit while I'm at it
>>
>>3135436
5th gen plus gba. Maybe a few authentic pixelshit indies.

It's a gameplay style thing for me, not a time period.
>>
>>3135490
Exactly what I meant for this thread. Everyone has different criteria for what is "retro" or what they perceive as the golden age of gaming. Its interesting to see the different perspectives.
>>
As long as this thread isn't bait, I'd personally vouch for 5th generation, plus GBA, plus some of these very unfortunate PC classics:

>No One Lives Forever
>Diablo II
>The Sims
>Baldur's Gate II
>Alice
>Deus Ex
>Mechwarrior 4
>Soldier of Fortune
>Thief II
>Vampire The Masquerade Redemption

These games got cheated hard.
>>
File: dreamcast.jpg (72 KB, 378x480) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.jpg
72 KB, 378x480
I feel that some games for the PS2, GC, and Xbox should be discussed here, but I have a hard time accepting them as "retro." It's almost like they have a category of their own, sorta like how /co/ has different ages for Disney movies. Keep in mind, this is completely my subjective opinion.

Just as a side note, the PS2 was released 5884 days since today (March 4, 2000 to April 12, 2016) while the Dreamcast was released 5552 days since the day the sticky was dated (November 27, 1998 to February 7, 2014). Correct me on when the Dreamcast was accepted on this board, I can't remember.
>>
>>3135503
Just for clarification, these games were all released throughout 2000, they're not cherry picked favorites or anything.
>>
Retro is anything that takes you back to a bygone era so... PS3?

I say this not because I'm underage but to exact opposite - I've seen so many generations come and go that they all take me back
>>
>cut off

4th gen. 5th gen was just too different and you could see 'modern' gaming taking its shape.

And I mean that entirely non-judgemental. I like my PSX.
>>
>>3135507
I think the term you were describing was "predecessor." Retro does not imply merely one step in the past.
>>
what would happen if /v/ was reserved for current-gen discussion and everything else was left to /vr/?
>>
>>3135507
Interesting. To me, current gen and last gen seem very similar. Even the graphics didn't jump very far.
What kind of things do you think separate the two gens?
>>
>>3135516
/vr/ would become even more shit than it is right now
>>
>>3135516
It would be a 50/50 split, or at least /vr/ being a casual stroll right after visiting /v/. This is bad, /vr/ is meant to be distant itself apart from /v/ somewhat. /v/ 2.0 would be completely pointless, like if a /console/ and /pc/ split were to take place.
>>
>>3135516
/vg/ 2.0
>>
>>3135436
stop trying to change the board rules
>>
>>3135505
I'm willing to give retro classification to those titles. While they're on the transition there's still a lot of elements of a pre-xbox, sony/nintendo/sega era to be left out. I would put them inside retro status but on the very edge of it.
>>
>>3135436
Year should be dropped to 1996 so as to fully disallow gen6 shitters from ruining /vr/.

Who else is with me?
>>
Personally?
Any console that does not connect to an online service, store, or server for firmware updates as a habit.

To me that bullshit puts a clear cutoff between "console" and "gimped PC for people too poor to buy GPUs".
>>
>>3135535
Considering most shitposting and shit threads have genesis or snes as theme, I don't think it would make a lot of difference.

>>3135538
I have that same idea. Spread of the Internet really is a paradigm shift.
>>
If a console has games on a newer console referred to as classics or the like, it's retro. Just wait until the bitter old men die off so we can discuss PS2 games here like gentlemen.
>>
Anything from N64/PS1 and back.
>>
The current rules of /vr/. I can't see GBA being retro, Phoenix Wright and Gen 3 Pokemon do not fit in with earlier games.
>>
>>3135543
>Considering most shitposting and shit threads have genesis or snes as theme, I don't think it would make a lot of difference.
Good luck being able to stop SNES vs. Genesis on a retro board. The /v/ kids who falseflag because their PS2 isn't allowed are a much bigger problem anyways, and contribute most of the shitposting around here. They're mad that Dreamcast is allowed but the rest of gen6 isn't and that they can't talk about gen6 games on /v/ because /v/ is too shit.
>>
This is an awful thread

At any rate, I'd say somehwere during 5th gen, when 2D games started to more or less phase out other than handhelds.
>>
>>3135587
>This is an awful thread
welcome to neo /v/
>>
>>3135538
so only pre-3rd gen?
>>
>>3135446
This. I don't even consider the Dreamcast retro. Anything 16-bit or less and predominantly sprite based is definitely retro to me.
>>
>>3135436
Any console that isn't currently having official, commercial games made for in significant amount. This means it's "obsolete" technology. It's not currently being sold through official means and I can only get it second hand. How I get a hold of a PS2 game nowadays is no different than how I get an Atari 2600 game, so I'm not sure why I should treat them different.

So, say, despite PS4 being around PS3 isn't retro because that's still around and getting games despite being last gen. PSP just got Summon Night 5, so it's a borderline case. But in terms of NA and PAL, it's definitely retro.

Yeah, there's games sold for Dreamcast, but they're basically homebrew. And part of the appeal is because it's a retro console. It's long been abandoned by Sega itself.

For PC? Probably anything more than decade old.
>>
>>3135728
Nothing except the Xbox series, Wii, and PS# or later can habitually access stores, update their firmware, or habitually access online services.
You need to buy accessories to get other machines to access the internet, and it was very niche and not pushed hard by the manufacturers.
>>
>>3135436
GameCube, mostly for the fact that I've seen it in retro stores. It was kind of hard to swallow at first though.
Strangely though, I don't feel like including Xbox (in particular) and perhaps even PS2
>>
My personal cut off is the definition for retro.

Retro is defined as 15-50 years old.
>>
1995 because that's what I grew up with
>>
>>3135538
UH OH...

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE MAKE UP ARBITRARY THINGS...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Computer_Network_System
>>
>>3135947
What about things older than 50 years?
>>
>>3135840
>You need to buy accessories to get other machines to access the internet, and it was very niche and not pushed hard by the manufacturers.

What the fuck are you talking about

So having to buy worthless addons to do it is better than just having it built in?
>>
>>3135950
I think older than 50 is vintage and antique is older than 100. These are specific era/definition terms. Retro is not just something made up because someone feels like something is retro. You can't say a knight's armor is "retro" and it's before 2000.

The Magnavox Odyssey as the first game console barely fucking constitutes what we would define as the true "retro" era of gaming, which is like Atari 2600 and NES.

To me, the Magnavox is starting to fucking border on antique.
>>
>>3135953
Yeah, on a board called "retro gaming," there are things like Magnavox Odyssey and Pong Consoles that aren't even discussed because people are so out of touch with that era now. No one really considers that retro, they just consider it old. The board primarily discusses Sega and Nintendo, because it's full of 25-35 year olds, and they for some reason cling to that era of their life as Retro.

The failure here, is of course, 2000 is incredibly retro, and a clearly defined era because of how much different life changed after 9/11. Except for some reason, shit in 2000/2001 isn't retro. Even though that's half the average /vr/ user's lifetime.
>>
File: 1455055763118.gif (1018 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1455055763118.gif
1018 KB, 500x281
Anything after the death of SEGA in the home console hardware market isn't retro.
>>
>>3135953
Spacewar is older than that and way more complex.
>>
>>3135941
Gamecube is incredibly retro. It's one of the first good 3D gaming machines, along with Xbox, Dreamcast, and PS2. That's a retro era now. It was the first move from crude 3D into decent 3D. That's a big mark in retro gaming.

Why /vr/ refutes this is beyond me. The original Xbox is NOTHING like the Xbox One. They aren't even similar on a functional level. With an Xbox the game boots right up. With an Xbox One you have a ton of fucking excess non-gaming bullshit and accounts and options. There is a very clear separation of Retro and Modern and 6th gen is definitely not modern.
>>
>>3135957
So, 7th generation. Which is correct.
There is a clear "retro" era, when gaming machines were built around gaming first, with a couple extra options.

Now gaming is not gaming first. It is social media first, gaming second.
>>
In 2001 the Super Nintendo and NES were incredibly retro, and those consoles were about as old as the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 are now. No one I knew was calling NES or SNES modern in 2001.

If you called Xbox or PS2 modern you'd be looked at funny.

Just because the Atari 2600 sold into the 90s did not mean it was not a retro console by the time the late 80s rolled around.
>>
>>3135962
>So, 7th generation.
Not including all of 7th generation, which the start mostly only had a little bit of SEGA at the start before, well, it died. After that it was a radical change with such a company bowing out. An end of an era.
>>
>>3135965
Sega died in the 6th generation. So I was saying you'd consider 7th and 8th Modern generations. Which they are.

6th is the start of the retro generation, which is Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. There is nothing modern or supported about those consoles in today's world.
>>
Retro as a word specifically correlates to RECENT past. The early 2000s are very Retro in a 2016 world. /vr/ should not be named "retro" gaming, because it's not at this point. It should just be named "Shit from before 1999 only" and then in parentheses "kids that grew up in the 90s talking about SNES and Genesis"
>>
>>3135959
Xbox feels like the first one that had a clear cut OS, though.
>>
>>3135967
>There is nothing modern or supported about those consoles in today's world.
Online connectivity
Online PayWall
DLC
FPS cancer

And you can keep going.

That was the first generation which had standard controller layout of the 2 sticks, a dpad, 4 face buttons, and triggers.
>>
File: Original-Xbox-Dashboard-1.jpg (32 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Original-Xbox-Dashboard-1.jpg
32 KB, 853x480
>>3135970
How is the dashboard different from other consoles?
>>
RETRO
Outdated, recent past. Fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned.
VINTAGE
Older, clearly recognizable from the period in which it was made. Ex: WOOD GRAIN
ANTIQUE
A relic or object of ancient times. Not younger than 100 years.

Time frames:
ANTIQUE:
"Most authorities consider the actual definition of the term 'antique' to mean an age of at least 100 years. If an item is not definitively datable to 100 or more years in age, it should not be directly referred to as an antique."

VINTAGE:
'vintage' should not be used in reference to objects less than 20 years old.

RETRO:
Retro Style is defined as a period of 15-50 years. 20 or over could be vintage style.
>>
>>3135970
Xbox didn't have a clear cut OS at all. You could listen to music, check memory, or do options. That's basically the same shit every other console had, except with the game cartridge or memory cards.
>>
Outdated game console discussion isn't something you slap a date on. Every gaming console had differing aspects of technology, like internet connection, even back to the Famicom days.

Recent history for you is ancient history for others.

Sorry, 2001 is outdated and retro. It doesn't matter how many times you try to pretend that all the kids in school now still talk about Halo 1, Luigi's Mansion, or Jak and Daxter. And it's not going to bring /v/ kiddies flooding over if we allow 6th gen discussion, either. The people who mass shitpost on /v/ do not do it about 6th gen.
>>
File: 193cifj33ttfcjpg.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
193cifj33ttfcjpg.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
>>3135970
I don't know what it is with /vr/ and pretending 6th gen pioneered shit that wasn't around in 5th or sometimes 4th gen consoles.
>>
>>3135985
Suddenly allowing the PS2 and Windows games up to 2005 or similar would bring a flood of new threads on the board and likely drown out everything else for a couple of months. It may die down after that but serious damage will be done.
>>
>>3135976
For those wondering, these terms can't just be "made up" and thrown about loosely because of value placed on older or aging items.

You can't pretend forever that 2001 is not retro, because retro has a specific meaning attributed to items from a certain period of aging that creates both value, museum quality, and more shit that's important to history around that period.

You can pretend in 40 years that 2001 isn't retro, and you'd be right, by then it'd be going on to Antique from a technology standpoint.
>>
>>3135990
6th gen discussion already happens here, and many of those people are already posting here. There's only so many discussions to be had and lots of threads keep popping up that are stale and stagnant anyway.
>>
File: Xbox-Dashboard-1.jpg (24 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
Xbox-Dashboard-1.jpg
24 KB, 460x345
>>3135986
>>3135983
>>3135970
>>3135959
>>3135941
Cool revisionist history there kids.

Sure looks fucking modern to me.

Nearly died at the dumb kid here >>3135986 comparing the PS1 menu to the XBox.
>>
>>3135996
>Xbox Dashboard

>Memory
>Music
>Xbox Live (now defunct on Xbox, useless menu item)
>Settings

>PS1 Dashboard
>Memory
>Music

>Missing Settings, option is available in the game you load up

Wow... Yeah...

It's missing Xbox Live...
Wow... What a ... Difference.
>>
>>3135996
>Revisionist History
>Claiming to know history
It seems you're blind. Your history tapes must be on audio files.

The PlayStation 1 is missing XBOX LIVE

I wonder why the SONY PLAYSTATION 1 is missing the XBOX LIVE option on it's dashboard.
>>
>>3135997
Nice backtrack kid.

You saying ONLINE PLAY isn't a big deal is hilarious.
>>
File: Sega_megamodem.jpg (64 KB, 1200x500) Image search: [Google]
Sega_megamodem.jpg
64 KB, 1200x500
>>3135996
>GameCube
>Historical

So you admit it's retro?

>>3136002
>ONLINE PLAY isn't a big deal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Meganet
>>
>>3136002
Are you 19
Did you not grow up in the 90s, because Sega Channel was pretty big.

It's okay, though, according to wikipedia, you're just following a COMMON MISCONCEPTION.

You don't know history very well for talking about how we're being "revisionist."

A common misconception[citation needed] about online console gaming is that the industry began with the introduction of the Xbox Live network on November 15, 2002. However, there were a number of predecessors which made a run at console gaming but due to a multitude of problems they failed to make a significant impact on the console gaming industry.
>>
>>3136006
Here the kids go with their wiki knowledge. "It existed so it counts."

Tell you right now kiddo. None of those multiple different online connectivity attempts before 6th generation was ever successful or widespread.
>>
>>3136008
>Online Play being modern

Firstly, I want you to explain what Online Play has to do with being modern. The PS2 and GameCube barely had online play and used external adapters. Same with the DreamCast, and it came out in 1999, but it had a lot more online play than GameCube or PS2.

You seem to be saying everything in 6th gen but original Xbox is retro?
>>
>>3136007
See
>>3136008

I really don't get the logic of "I found it on wiki so it was a thing".
>>
>>3136008
>>3136012
>Levi Buchanan, also writing for IGN, credits Sega Channel with its role in the development of modern gaming and content delivery services, such as Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, stating "SEGA and the entire industry learned important lessons from the SEGA Channel. SEGA was still committed to the idea of downloads and online, as evidenced by the Dreamcast's SegaNet... You can also see the DNA of early services like the SEGA Channel in modern portals like XBLA and PSN, where demos are now a staple."
>>
>>3136009
One of the biggest game of the generation was online. Halo 2. Among other titles.

So what you're ignoring xbox?
>>
>>3136012
I really don't get the logic of entirely ignoring that the Xbox dashboard has no differences to the PS1 dashboard except "I can play online," a feature "retro" computer gaming had for 10 years before Xbox live and Sega Channel was doing in 1994 with 250,000 subscribers.

>>3136014
Halo 2 could be played online. What the fuck does that do with not being retro? Halo 2 is outdated as shit.
>>
>>3135993
>There's only so many discussions to be had and lots of threads keep popping up that are stale and stagnant anyway.
Does that mean you have to open the floodgates? If you want to allow PS2 and co you have to do it gradually. Having the entire library pushed at once will kill the board.
>>
>>3136017
This board is already pretty fucking dead. Take a look at the discussions in the catalog. Shit is repeated twice a day and there are a ton of shitposts.
>>
File: 1446497095652.png (88 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1446497095652.png
88 KB, 5000x5000
>>3136016
>Xbox dashboard has no differences to the PS1 dashboard except
Let me repeat that one more time.

>Xbox dashboard has no differences to the PS1 dashboard except

This is what 6th gen kids actually believe.

By that logic kid there's no difference between XBox and SEGA CD too.
>>
The dreamcast is the last retro console for me. The generation it's in would normally disqualify it, but it's got so many old-style SEGA Arcade titles, It might as well be a beefed up Saturn.
>>
>>3136017
/vr/ has maybe 10-20 active threads at a time, that last days on end and are bumped slowly. Over half the threads are dead and some might get bumped on their way to the grave, but there's no real long discussions. When people do post stuff about Genesis or SNES suggestions you just get a lot of shitposts, attacks, and personal flames for liking games or wanting different games or whatever nowadays.
>>
>>3136020
>This is what 6th gen kids actually believe.

No, this is what someone who literally plays his PS1 and original Xbox almost daily, and uses them both constantly, believes.

I grew up with the NES, SNES, and TurboGrafx. I got a PS1, N64 and Saturn later, and I got an Xbox, then a Gamecube and PS2.

I don't know what you're trying to say about the dashboards. They both have the same functionality. One literally has "CONNECT TO (now defunct) SERVICE" that Xbox basically pioneered.
>>
>>3135996
I will never be able to see the Xbox as retro either. I mean, I was one of the first screaming kids on Xbox Live for fuck's sake. If that ain't modern, I don't know what is.
>>
>>3136020
Are you acting willfully ignorant?
SEGA CD dashboard doesn't have memory and music options
>>
>>3136027
>They both have the same functionality
No kid. I'm pretty fucking sure one connects you online to play cancer FPS with other shiiters.

Also it was cute with you thinking that SEGA channel number means anything other than it being a failure.
>>
>>3135972
All this was introduced with the O.G. Xbox. The Xbox is the first modern console.
>>
>>3136030
I will never be able to see the Atari 2600 as retro either. I mean, I was one of the first screaming kids who threw his controller at the TV for fuck's sake. If that ain't modern, I don't know what is.
>>
>>3136031
>SEGA CD dashboard doesn't have memory and music options
The SEGA CD plays CDs dumbass. It also has a menu to access the memory. Go back to the containment board.
>>
>>3136025
Go to /v/ if you can't handle a slow paced board.
Do you think every thread would be spring to live because the board moves faster? Even /vg/ doesn't have that.
>>
>>3136035
>controller
>not joystick
>>
>>3136035
Not that anon. That isn't even in the same realm.

You'd get mad upboats on le reddit though XD.Or w/e cancer you kids say now.
>>
File: xboxonedashboardupdate_1280w.jpg (170 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
xboxonedashboardupdate_1280w.jpg
170 KB, 1280x720
>>3135972
Original Xbox has no more online connectivity.
Original Xbox has no more paywall
DLC is not modern. High speed internet capable of delivering content updates was not practical in the 90s, so you had expansions and add on packs.
FPS cancer. Every era of gaming has it's version of cancer. Platformers are a big one.

And you can keep going.

:)

>>3135996
This image is not modern. You are really out of touch with "modern."
>>
>>3136038
Paddle
>>
>>3136040
>That isn't even in the same realm.

>Yelling at the TV isn't in the same realm as yelling at some moron online

Explain.
>>
File: 1446570476182.jpg (126 KB, 640x911) Image search: [Google]
1446570476182.jpg
126 KB, 640x911
>>3136041
Wait, the OG Xbox did have DLC though. And most people bought it too.
>>
>>3136043
Guess it's a only 80s/90s kid thing man.
You were born with the internet in hand.
>>
>>3136036
The SEGA CD has no dashboard, dumbass. What are you arguing about? That it could play a CD? So did the TurboCD.
>>3136046
Wait, the OG genesis did have add ons, though. You had to go to the store to buy it.
>>
>>3136041
>FPS cancer. Every era of gaming has it's version of cancer. Platformers are a big one.
>you are really out of touch with "modern."

Do us all a favor and an hero.
>>
>>3136047
Yeah, I remember being born in 1984 and going to a lan party in 1991 and screaming and yelling with lots of kids at video games. And when I would get on Xbox live in 2001, I specifically remembered those times as a kid. So I'm just at a loss about your modern era of gaming being unique because you had a little headsetty on your heady.
>>
>>3136049
No shit, sherlock. That's not DLC, stop with the false equivalencies.
>>
>>3136049
>The SEGA CD has no dashboard, dumbass
How the fuck do you think you access the menu?

Why post when it's obvious you're this underage? You have to be like 15.
>>
>>3136050
>massive loads of shitty platformers and shitty racing games and shitty games in every era
>oh but FPS, that's the worst genre!

Go fuck yourself. You're creating arbitrary distinctions.

>>3136052
>Internet is fast enough you can just download expansions now, called DLC

>B-buying it in the store isn't DLC!

Yeah, I guess the store had to order it after it was downloaded and pressed on the CD.
>>
>>3136051
>Yeah, I remember being born in 1984 and going to a lan party in 1991
Cool made up shit.

And I know it's made up because I never heard of a single anything involving computer games were kids showed up. Unless it was edutainment.
>>
>>3136056
Fucking this. Six year olds with at-the-time 2000 to 3000$ machines. Riiight.
>>
>>3136052
>stop with the false equivalencies.

How are expansions or add ons any different than DLC? You really do seem to be just making up definitions to create distinctions about retro and modern.

>>3136056
My bad, it was IPX back then. And you didn't have a father who got you into Gemstone 3 in the late 80s and Cyberstrike, then. Sorry pal!
>>
>>3136054
Guess what kid?

Name a shit platformer. Go ahead. It wasn't top 10.

Name a cancer FPS. HALO. It was TOP 5 of the generation.

Now go an hero.
>>
>>3136058
>still going

You should stop, champ.
>>
>>3136059
Okay, so. Let's dial it back.

Firstly, is Halo SHIT? Or is it cancer?

If Halo is a good game, then it deserves to be in the top 5. If it is CANCER, that means something else entirely.

I guess this is how someone who makes all these arbitrary distinctions thinks, though.

Xbox Live is about as modern as using a fucking walkie talkie while camping out was in the 90s.
>>
>>3136060
You've already lost. You just keep falling back on nonsense. Are you the dashboard guy who failed miserably to distinguish how the PlayStation 1 dashboard is different than the Xbox dashboard?

You're the same guy who helped prove the point that Dashboards aren't modern, by citing the Sega CD, but get fucking ASSBLASTED when Sega Channel or Sega Net Work is mentioned.
>>
>>3136062
>Firstly, is Halo SHIT? Or is it cancer?
Both.

The functionality XBox live brought in changed the industry for ever. It was the first largely successful and widespread online service.
>>
>>3136064
>Both
Incorrect.

Halo is in many ways a decent game, and can be respected for it's campaign, controls, and intuitive intro to console FPS. Lots of things Goldeneye started Halo improved upon.

Xbox Live didn't start it. Dreamcast did.
>>
>>3136064
The first to have in-game stores in which you could pay to buy downloadable content too, and since launch. Midtown Madness 3 had DLC.
>>
>>3136063
Stop. Please. The wiki parroting is unreal with you. You carry a tablet so you can look anything up and somehow you think having zero retention of information makes you less ignorant.
>>
>>3136070
I brought out sources because you're a fucking idiot who is just making up arbitrary distinctions constantly about personal feelings of nostalgia to define eras that you made up in your head.
>>
>>3136068
>Halo is in many ways a decent game,
A shit Quake/Unreal clone with low grav and health regen on?

Na kid. Stop. You need to fucking stop. This is why this cancer isn't allowed here.
>>
>>3136072
You just keep proving my point. Tap tap tap away at that tablet, child.
>>
>>3136072
You were probably arguing with 2 or 3 people, retard.
>>
>>3136064
>It was the first largely successful and widespread online service.

Almost every word you used is bullshit.
>First
Wrong
>Largely successful
In accordance to what? What are we relating it to? User base? People who had internet access or used it frequently enough to warrant an internet service that had a subscription fee? What are we doing here. Because lots of online game services existed before Xbox Live and they were largely successful, and turned profits.

You just say stuff without thinking about the foundation of what you're saying.

Xbox Live wouldn't have been what it was if it wasn't for Sega's forays into internet gaming years before.
>>
>>3136073
>My opinion dictates periods and eras!
>Halo is cancer to me, so it's cancer! My opinion... Stop! My opinion!

>>3136074
No counter arguments other than shit like "SEGA CD HAD A DASHBOARD, B-BUT XBOX DASHBOARD IS MODERN THOUGH."
>>
>>3136076
I think the important thing here is these people who call Xbox Live modern need to preface it with
>I didn't know about Sega Channel or Sega Net in the 90s, so they don't count.

The guy who keeps claiming someone is using Wikipedia is irritating as fuck. I have a Sega Modem in my house from when I was a kid, my dad loved that shit. As someone who owned it, I know first hand Xbox Live was an iteration of Sega's 4th generation work and even Saturn's modem which I didn't own.
>>
Online gaming is in no way modern. The era of online gaming itself has gone through primitive changes over a long course of time. The original Xbox Live is increasingly retro with it's highly limited functioning and strict focus on only gaming media, as opposed to internet browsers, apps, netflix, achievements, and whatever else online functionality means today.

Just because internet speeds got to the point where more than 100,000 people could actively use an online service doesn't mean the institution of that service was modern or should be considered modern by 2016 standards.

With that logic any technology today should be considered modern if it's still in use or being expanded upon. If the original Xbox Live is "modern," or "modern gaming," the Ford Model T is a modern vehicle. That's how primitive the original Xbox Live is compared to today's networks.
>>
>>3136074
So quoting Wikipedia is bad if it disproves your point?
I believe you refuted his claim about the modem because
>Also it was cute with you thinking that SEGA channel number means anything other than it being a failure.

As if your dumbass and apparently uneducated opinion about what constitutes a failure has anything to do with the foundations it built for online gaming
>>
>>3136076
>>3136068
>>3136090
>>3136082
>>3136081
I can't even tell if you kids are serious or not. I really fucking can't.
Yes, Xbox live was the first successful online service for consoles. How can you even debate that? Everything before was a complete fucking failure. The service is still going today over 10 years later. SEGA Channel, Satellaview, xband, etc were all commercial failures and never had a market foothold. SEGA Channel was marketed heavily too. Still had very poor subscription numbers. None of the games in America ever really took advantage until DC. That’s a big problem when your biggest market doesn’t give a fuck about your feature. It was a failure service and overall didn’t contribute anything. Its existence had little to no impact on game design or how the console was sold/packaged.
Games like HALO 2 pushed XBOX live subscriptions.
You can thank the 6th generation for DLC. It was the first to offer DLC on disc content. Had the first popular DLC with the HALO 2 map packs.
Online Paywalls became standard.
The practice of release broken fix later in a patch also started here. HALO 2 having many bugs that were later fixed.
>>
>>3136096
This isn’t limited to Xbox. The Xbox, Dreamcast, and PS2 all had widespread online connectivity. And don’t think this shit wasn’t popular. A game which required online like FF11 sold well over 5 million on PS2 alone. You have multiple examples on Xbox ranging from Halo 2 to Crimson skies. Games were promoted by their online accessibility. A modern trend that still continues today.

If you can put a blind over everything else, you can’t ignore that fact. The 6th generation is the generation were games were made specifically for online play. Small things like achievements. Pure cancer that modern gamers love. The second you turn these consoles on you’re greeted with the option of online access, multimedia options, and updates. It effected game designed. Games were no longer being designed solely for couch play.

6th generation is the online generation. To say otherwise is asinine. It laid the ground work for modern console online connectivity. It’s not retro nor will it ever be retro.

If you think otherwise I’m not sure why you’re even on this board. It’s obviously to shitpost.
>>
>>3135441
nice observation genius
>>
>>3136097
>A game which required online like FF11 sold well over 5 million on PS2 alone

um

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/761/final-fantasy-xi-online/

>inb4 vgchartz
>>
>>3135436

I think Dreamcast for me. It really is the last "Retro" system in terms of design of the console itself and the games developed for it. Consoles starting with the PS2 and onward have been formalized and now all have pretty much the same features as each other. (Dual Analog Sticks, 4 face buttons, d-pad, two triggers, DVD media, online, component video, etc.)
>>
>>3135436
>What is your personal cut off for what is retro?
XBox, PS2, GCN, DS and PC games from about 5-10 years ago. These systems and games are nowadays only played if you seek old systems, the old experience, etc. At least on the consoles it's also the point before excessive social integration and achievement whoring
>>
>>3135505
>I feel that some games for the PS2, GC, and Xbox should be discussed here
off-topic. OP's asking about your personal cut-off, not what should be discussed on the board.
>>
>>3135507
PS3 is still getting some actual attention. If you go to the brick&mortar stores, you can still actually buy more or less current PS3 releases. As such, it is still "present day gaming", although a bit on the bottom end. So I wouldn't call it bygone for the moment.
>>
>>3136096
Online Paywalls didn't become fucking standard with the original Xbox
>>
>>3136707
The PS2 is absolutely nothing like the PS4 dude. It's like a sharpened stick vs a spear. Yeah, rudimentary basic primitive features, but nothing like what's modern. It is definitely retro to go from a PS4 to a PS2.
>>
File: time_flies_by_erdavd-d4ts4gv[1].jpg (141 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
time_flies_by_erdavd-d4ts4gv[1].jpg
141 KB, 640x800
I fucking hate calling older games "retro", "oldschool" feels much better. That being said, I'm ok with current board rules, but I would allow GBA since it was basically a handheld SNES (even though it was 32bit system).
>>
>>3136846
>I hate calling older games "retro", "oldschool" feels much better
Ask yourself why. No, seriously, do it.

That said, I don't think the "retro" as used here refers to the games. Just the act of playing them in the present.
>>
>>3135441
How about in ten years?
>>
>>3135996
Doesn't look modern at all, looks Y2k as fuck if anything.
>>
>>3136792

If you compare a flip phone that was made this year to a smart phone that was made this year, obviously the flip phone looks like a sharpened stick compared to the smartphone's proper spear. Does that make the flip phone retro? No.
>>
>>3136887
Quit being fucking stupid. Form does not dictate "retro." The technology in a flip phone now versus one in 2000 isn't comparable.
>>
>>3136886
You're responding to someone who says dashboards started with the Xbox, and calls people posting the PlayStation ,Saturn, and even Sega CD dashboards "history revisionists."

It's pretty clear how outdated and goofy/retro looking that original Xbox dashboard is.
>>
>>3136912

You're the one being fucking stupid. The point is that "retro" isn't about comparison, it's about a time period. PS2 isn't going to "become retro" because retro is about technological power.
>>
>>3136925
>The point is that "retro" isn't about comparison, it's about a time period.

What the fuck? The guy just said flip phones made this year vs smart phones... That means that flip phones, because they are made this year, aren't retro. So what the fuck is the point of all this?
>>
>>3136931

>some retard: DURR PS2 IS RETRO BECAUSE PS4 MAKES IT LOOK BAD
>me: but if you compare modern smartphones to modern flip phones, smartphones make flip phones look like shit, does that make flip phones retro? no, obviously
>some retard: TH-THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE
>me: you are retarded and I'm cool and smart /thread
>>
>>3136937
But flip phones are still being made and upgraded with new technology you fucking idiot. Not the fucking PS2 or 6th generation.
>>
>>3136937
More appropriately,
>some retard: FLIP PHONES R MODERN AND THEY WERE MADE IN 2000
>smart person: Yeah, new flip phones have brand new technology, they are not still using the same chips from 2000
>some retard: HR... RRERR IM SMART

How some people function with basic misunderstanding of time period and era of release is beyond me. Would you say that cars from 1950 are modern because they use engines like cars in 2016?
>>
>>3136937
Phones are not an analogy. They are continually upgraded and released in a variety of form factors.
>>
/vr/ really needs heavier moderation. This thread should have been deleted hours ago.
>>
>>3136971
Why, because you want a "Pre 2000" gaming board? Okay, start the petition to rename the board.
>>
>>3136971
We've gone full /v/. There's no amount of moderation in the world that can cure this shithole now.

Remember when /vr/ was good?
>>
>>3136982
If the name got changed to pre 2000 we'd have daily threads asking when the cut-off year is going to get pushed forward. There is literally no way to stop you fuckers from finding something to complain about.

>2013+3, so cutoff should be 2000+3
>muh 13 years
>>
>>3137035
Name it: Pre 2000 games - no the cutoff won't be moved.
>>
>>3137039
Good idea, but I think they'd just ignore it like they do now. Or else they'd find some obscure loophole and spam the board for months until we figured out something better.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some calendar system out there where it's not 2000 yet.
>>
>>3136997
Some of you faggots don't get the idea of this thread and are just being children. Everyone has a personal cut off of what they feel is when gaming changed. Has nothing to do with the rules of this board
>>
I think we argue about this more than we actually talk about games.
>>
>>3137969
you know its not so bad, you just have to go back a few pages like you would on the faster boards. and ignore the shitposts but that should come naturally anyhow.

but i do agree, this board was really very informative when it was slower. I wish we could stop it from becoming the overflow valve for /v/, but thats how this shit goes
>>
>>3140469
report, hide and make better threads. That's our options
>>
ps2/xbox/gc desu ne
>>
GameCube,ps2, and Xbox fags are the worst.

The retro cutoff is the n64 & PS1
>>
>>3140610
what does quality have to do with retro?
>>
>>3135514
I'm pretty sure this thread is about our individual subjective definitions of the term "retro" and to me anything that reminds me of a distinctly different period in the past is retro. I'm 39 but I can easily get nostalgic for when I was 35 or 30. My life progresses and definitely "improves" but that doesn't mean there was nothing I liked about my past life that I don't necessarily get to enjoy anymore.

>>3135518
Jeez I took two days to reply lol sorry. Although I could talk about how network connection has become more deeply ingrained and how there's like no difference between games on different platforms and PC those things were true to a lesser extent about gen 7. The real separation is price. Gen 7 games are starting to seriously drop in price and I'm able to really build a solid collection of them, get all the titles I had any interest in whatsoever. I think that to some people "retro" has a lot to do with when the value of old games starts to rise again or it might be the other way around, that when the market with the most disposable income starts getting nostalgic for their childhoods, those particular vintage items start rising dramatically in price.

Really though the year 2000 is a pretty big thing what with the millenium and everything so it's a good place to draw a big fat line. I've even been thinking of opening up a mall store "20th Century Living" and offer all kinds of luxury lifestyle items from the 90s, including cars.
>>
6th gen is retro. 7th is definitely not. There was a pretty massive difference between the two.
>>
For me PS2 gen is retro since I missed it and jumped from PS1 straight to 2005 gaming PC.
>>
>>3140479
You can keep sperging out about this and pretend you're making a difference. But you aren't.
>>
File: 65923692962.png (1 MB, 1219x633) Image search: [Google]
65923692962.png
1 MB, 1219x633
>>3140610
Even though N64 and PS1 have more in common with Xbox, GameCube, and PS2 than they do with the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis.
>>
>>3135750
This exactly. Any game that if I made a thread about on /v/ or /vg/ would die instantly because it isn't current/previous gen. If I can't talk about it there, why can't I talk about it here. All these stupid faggots think if we allowed gen 6/7, kiddies would come and shit up the board are retarded. These no magical impenetrable force field keeping them away, they don't fucking exist. This board has like 500 dedicated posters and 200 more occasional lurkers, and if the change the cutoff date that would change, no new people are going to suddenly appear, a board on 4chan changing its rules isn't going to making the news.

And people complain about gen 6/7 kiddies yet every fucking week we get "overrated general" "sonic isn't shit" "why is SNES better than Genesis" "why is Genesis better than SNES" "this is the worst Mario game prove me wrong" "why did DKC3 fail" etc etc etc this board is already 90% shitposting.
>>
>>3140861
Except they don't. I'm sure you got some eceleb opinion though.
>>
>>3140883
Forgot
"CRT thread" "emulation thread" "emulation sucks" "I hate ecelebs" "outrageous resale prices" "mother/earthbound thread" "ps can't do graphics"
>>
>>3140883
>>3140887
Holy shit forgot the most annoying repetitive thread that pops up on this board every week.

"Change the rules about what is retro"
>>
>>3140885
Except they fucking do, you moron.
>>
>>3140885
>Except they don't.

Memory Cards. A pretty fucking big one.

Joystick controllers, Dual Shock, N64 Controller, 3D Controller for Saturn.

Menu screens for Saturn and PlayStation, including music playing ability and memory card management.

Rumble Pack/Rumble features. A fucking BIG ONE.

N64 had microphone support.

Saturn and PS1 both are disc based consoles, not just disc addon consoles.

N64 had four controller ports built in, like the Xbox and GameCube.

There are a plethora of other features, including dedicated video accelerator chips, and other 3D processing capability that make the N64, PS1 and Saturn far closer to the Xbox, GameCube, and PS2 than the Super Nintendo and Genesis, fuckwit.
>>
>>3140885
2d and 3d.
Your arguments?
>>
>>3140952
>Memory Cards. A pretty fucking big one.
What's big about that? Why is ability to copy saves matter much?
>>
>>3140885
This is the typical delusional "Retro" poster. The person who screeches vehemently that PS1 is somehow retro and the PS2 and GameCube and whatever aren't. This "Retro" poster also for some reason accepts Dreamcast as "retro" despite the fact it came with a modem out of the box and he also says "GBA isn't retro" probably.
>>
>>3140959
Because it specifically shows how similar the PS1, Saturn, and N64 are to the next generation, and how far removed they are from the previous.

Show me on the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo where you plug in and remove the memory card.

Now show me that on the Saturn, PS1, N64, GameCube, Dreamcast, Xbox, and PS2.
>>
>>3140960
we had this argument before
>>
Sony had built the console from the start as a 3D, disc-based system, and emphasized its 3d graphics that would come to be viewed as the future of gaming. The PlayStation's CD technology won over several developers who had been releasing titles for Nintendo and Sega's fourth generation consoles, such as Konami, Namco, Capcom, and Square. CDs were far cheaper to manufacture and distribute than cartridges were, meaning developers could release larger batches of games at higher profit margins; Nintendo's console, on the other hand, used cartridges, unwittingly keeping third-party developers away.

Arguably a much more important and defining feature of gaming than "HUR XBOX ISN'T RETRO, IT HAD ONLINE."

Online means jack shit.
>>
I wonder if the 25-30 year olds itt have a hard time admitting something that's 15 years old is retro because they don't understand they are aging rapidly just like the consoles.
>>
>>3140964
I don't know who you are, I haven't had this argument with anyone before. I'm simply saying that the Saturn, PS1, and N64 have far more features in common with the Xbox, GameCube, Dreamcast, and PS2, than they do with the Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo and TurboGrafx. In fact, they are barely relatable to those consoles. The N64 shares just about nothing with the Super Nintendo, while it shares almost everything with the GameCube, and the PS2 is only a marginal increase of the PS1, with no changes to overall design philosophy or controller.

If we want to get technical, the Xbox was really just an iteration or spiritual successor of the Dreamcast, right down to it's controller.
>>
This argument is just fucking futile. For the group of people who are adamant that 6th gen isn't retro, they aren't ever going to see the similarities to 6th gen and 5th gen.

For some reason they accept 5th gen as retro and see it as the same as 4th gen and previous generations all because fucking Xbox had online play.
>>
>>3135954
>because of how much different life changed after 9/11
What a delusion. These changes (I honestly do not not what they are) only happened in one country and clearly couldn't had any relation to video games at all.
>>
>>3141025
The changes after 9/11 only happened in one country and didn't relate to video games huh
>>
>>3141010
If we had to sacrifice 5th gen to get rid of you faggots forever, it'd be a worthwhile trade.
>>
File: Virtua_Fighter.png (12 KB, 496x384) Image search: [Google]
Virtua_Fighter.png
12 KB, 496x384
>>3140942
>>3140952
>>3140954
>>3140954
>>3140960
>>3140964
>>3140993
>3d

See Arcades, children.
>>
>>3135436
Everything that no longer has official support from the mother company.
>>
>>3141068
We have limited examples of 3D gaming in the 1980s as well, kid.

Now, pal... It's time.

Respond to this post
>>3140952
>>
File: Nintendo_64.jpg (85 KB, 800x627) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo_64.jpg
85 KB, 800x627
>>3141068
>Arcade cabinets
>Bulky external hardware to play single games
You know, you're dumb. But I didn't think you were this fucking stupid.
Name a 3D game in the Genesis and Super Nintendo era that did not require extraneous hardware to function.
>>
>>3141079
>Name a 3D game in the Genesis and Super Nintendo era that did not require extraneous hardware to function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfe2Ze_yDk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhKVj43AcQI
>>
>>3141090
Neither one of these are actual games and are called outliers. They are not representative of their era, or of the 3D era that followed. They are broken, empty shells that represent the most basic 3D polygon projected onto a flat plane.

This isn't 3D gaming.
>>
>>3141103
Heard you were moving goalposts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOlQ_v08EFA
>>
>>3141090
>>3141109
Now you have shown how much of a fucking dumbass you are.

Hard Drivin' wasn't even playable and is considered one of the worst games of all time because it doesn't even run on the Genesis.

You're not even attempting to meet the goalpost. You're just shitposting and further proving the VAST difference between the 5th gen and 4th gen.

None of the examples you provided are full 3D games, and are mostly half the screen of incredibly simple solid blocks. Cyber-Cop is yet another horrible piece of shit that barely ran and no one played.
>>
>>3141109
Cyber-Cop is one of the worst games ever made and I think it tops worst FPS ever made. The game isn't even playable.
>>
>>3141090
I remember getting Hard Driving, playing for half a hour, and exchanging it for Rock'n'Roll Racing back in store. The game felt really advanced but also not fun. I don't regret it since even though I crashed constantly I saw most of content it offer.
>>
>>3141109
You started posting absolute garbage fucking trash games to somehow prove the point that 4th gen is similar to 5th gen.

Nothing in the 4th gen, even with the SVP chip and FX chip, ran anything like what came in the 5th gen. The N64 is functionally identical to the GameCube, aside from less powerful hardware.

The PS1 especially is absolutely incomparable to the 4th gen.

You should have garnered the context of my request was not to post the literal worst pieces of shit that barely displayed flat polygons in half the resolution of the actual screen. I was requesting an actual 3D game. Not these flat polygon half 3D/half 2D abominations that no one played.
>>
>>3141116
>>3141128
I'm actually a different person, I just wanted to bait you and I succeeded.
>>
I think making the argument that Saturn PS1 and N64 are more similar to the Xbox Dreamcast GameCube and PS2 is an interesting one and it's pretty much correct

The advent of 3D cd based consoles ushered in the new era, but for some reason people in this thread are focusing on Xbox Live? That is a secondary accessory to gaming and was only available because internet speeds increased alongside game console development.

the four controller ports, rumble paks, analogue sticks, microphones, memory cards, etc. was pioneered in 5th gen like this anon says
>>3140952
>>
>>3141130
Pretty poor attempt at bait, considering you provided legitimate examples of primitive shitty 3D gaming and what you posted could easily be construed as a workable argument. So your "Bait" actually ended up being worthless discussion.
>>
>>3135436
For me retro is anything between 19XX-2000.
>>
>>3135446
>I swear, I loved the systems to death,
As evidenced by still having them stashed around in storage unit? Wow, that's love.
>>
my childhood = retro
someone else's childhood = not retro
>>
>>3141128
>The N64 is functionally identical to the GameCube, aside from less powerful hardware.

N64 actually has one thing the Gamecube doesn't: a programmable vertex shader (i.e. microcodes)

Gamecube opted for a fixed vertex shader which is more boring.
>>
PS2 was when I first experienced being disillusioned with games. Loved the Crash and Spyro trilogies to death and was so pumped to play them on a new box, but both of the first entries on ps2 were so terrible. Can't comment on later entries because I dropped both there. It may also be the first time I just put down a game without even going half way.

Don't know if I'd consider it a cut off for retro but it certainly sticks out in my mind as a sharp break.
>>
>>3141073
The amount of underage in this post.
>>
File: fami.jpg (82 KB, 1280x974) Image search: [Google]
fami.jpg
82 KB, 1280x974
I think retro should be 4th gen and before, but I'm fine with 5th gen and DC I guess, although I don't consider them retro.
PS2 and onwards would be definitely not retro at all.
>>
5th gen, I don't anything 6th gen(including the dreamcast) should ever be retro. Retro is a era, not an age, anything beyond 5th gen should be considered off topic unless talking in the case of ports/remakes and deleted.
>>
>>3135436
when i was 16 years old

i'm sure that's the cutoff for everyone
>>
>>3136882

No, anything after 2000 will never be considered retro. Read the board rules and wiki,
>>
>>3141402
>da rules

Christ you're dense. I think we should just do away with the "retro" thing because it's too much of a catch-all
>>
>>3141405

Ask anyone on this board, everyone will tell you nothing released after 2000 is not, and never will be retro. Stop being a spastic,
>>
>>3141410
I don't give a shit and you're the one being spastic. When modern 10 year olds turn 40 they'll call their PS4s retro too and there's nothing you can do about it. Or maybe they'll grow a brain and find a better term to differentiate between old electronics.
>>
File: 1447022064735.png (1 MB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1447022064735.png
1 MB, 1024x1400
>>3140952
>Memory Cards. A pretty fucking big one.
SEGA CD. Probably an earlier example. SEGA CD is the first successful one.

>Joystick controllers, Dual Shock, N64 Controller, 3D Controller for Saturn.
See arcades. Been done for years. The first console to have standard 2 analog sticks was the PS2. Pretty much the first console that came with analog sticks period was the PS2.

>Menu screens for Saturn and PlayStation, including music playing ability and memory card management.
See SEGA CD and Turbo CD.

>Rumble Pack/Rumble features. A fucking BIG ONE.
See arcades.
Ruble wasn’t standard till PS2.

>N64 had microphone support.
No it didn’t.
A game had a microphone.
The Famicom came with a microphone in the controller.

>Saturn and PS1 both are disc based consoles, not just disc addon consoles.
See Turbo Duo, CDX, X’Eye, Neo Geo CD, etc.

>N64 had four controller ports built in, like the Xbox and GameCube.
See Atari 5200

>There are a plethora of other features, including dedicated video accelerator chips, and other 3D processing capability that make the N64, PS1 and Saturn far closer to the Xbox, GameCube, and PS2 than the Super Nintendo and Genesis, fuckwit.

Na. You’re underage as it gets.
>>
>>3141413

MAAAAAAHHHHDS!
>>
>>3141417
Christ. As it is now it kind of works, but it's not future-proof, and also used wrong. Retro games would be games made "like they used to", so all the pixelshit you might dislike. This board is not about it, it's about old electronics and games made for them.
>>
>>3141415
PCE has sort of memory cards, except not. They have internal memory in the interface unit (or other addon, built-in in Duo's) and then there's cards which go into the main one on which you can make backups on.
Honestly it's a hassle.
>>
The Atari 2600 is the true retro machine. The Segas and SNES are modern shit.
>>
>>3136073
>Quake/Unreal clone with low grav and health regen on

I'd call you a retard, but that would be doing a disservice to actual retards.
>>
4th gen and earlier is fully retro, 5th gen (minus handhelds) is semiretro because it resembles both 4th and 5th gen, like a weird transitional period. And I'm not only speaking about 3D, but general design philosophies. Dreamcast has some games I would consider retro.

Indies are like trannies. Some pass well, some look and play like shit, but they were all born with a dick.
>>
>>3141732
both 4th and 6th gen*
>>
>>3136073
I've not even played Halo and I can tell that you haven't either.
>>
>>3141142
For me retro is anything below 1920x1080.
Sorry for shitposting.
>>
>>3141451
Games that last for 10 minutes tops? Fuck off
>>
>>3141987
you must really hate the arcade
>>
i think the word "retro" is being misused in the context of gaming
>>
>>3141998
how so? What's not retro about operating hardware from the past?
>>
>>3142003
Because "retro" is something new inspired by something old. Something that's just old would be more aptly called "vintage".
>>
>>3142013
Wow you're right.. basically only new 2D indie games are technically "retro" (like Shovel Knight), since they imitate the style of the past.. I can't believe they fucked up the name of this place
>>
>>3142013
>Because "retro" is something new inspired by something old
like, playing an old game in the present?

>Retrogaming is a pastime which is becoming increasingly popular where individuals play video games on vintage computers or vintage game consoles
>>
>>3142020
>like, playing an old game in the present?
Would you consider drinking old wines a "retro" activity?
>>
>>3142013
New board.

/vv/ MAKE IT HAPPEN NOTMOOT-SAN
>>
>>3142019
the only thing they fucked up is calling it Games, instead of Gaming, and they only fucked up in so far as the current title encourages interpretations like yours. When you spend a second to think about it though, you'll understand the difference.

That said, I don't consider Shovel Knight "retro" in any form. It's certainly not retro gaming, but on top of that, it's also such a poor imitation of the past, it's not even a retro game
>>
>>3142026
if you would have spent just one more second thinking, instead of shitposting, you'd get the problem.
Here, I'll spell the fucker out for your retarded little braincell: when the vast majority of people play video games, they do it on currently and widely available hardware, with current software, and everything that comes with it. That's the "normal" way. Going out of your way to pick up the old shit, playing it, is an active and conscious decision. The intention may be to re-live old times, or experience a faint copy of that time. You know, a fucking RETRO <activity>.
Now back to your rotten grape water: most pretentious assholes, kind of people like you, drink the old junk, or claim to, because the old junk is the normal activity. It's not imitating wine drinking from the 1850s or something, it's plain wine drinking.
So, with all that said, go suck on the business end of a fucking gun, you dipshit. The board, and very likely the entire world, is better off without utter wastes of matter like you.
>>
File: 1458863168706.png (93 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1458863168706.png
93 KB, 300x225
>>3141402
I bet you're fun at parties.
>>
>>3142040
It was a genuine rhetorical question. You should get those anger issues checked by a professional.
>>
>>3142084
no, it was bog standard shit-posting, and I'm fucking tired of it, and you
>>
>>3142089
You're a sad, strange little man.
>>
>>3141410
>Ask anyone on this board, everyone will tell you nothing released after 2000 is not, and never will be retro.
Is

Is this your first day on /vr/ or something? Tons of people here don't feel that way at all. Also OP was specifically not talking about board rules.

>>3135436
In my opinion it's about 10 years before something gets old to the point I would consider it "retro".
>>
>>3141413
>When modern 10 year olds turn 40 they'll call their PS4s retro

There are seriously people on this board who don't understand this concept. It's equal parts mind boggling and funny.
>>
>>3141415
>The first console to have standard 2 analog sticks was the PS2.

Wrong. PS1 was first you fucking idiot.

>See SEGA CD and Turbo CD

Those are ADDONS, not original hardware, they were not independent consoles. They were also outliers of their generation.

And stop saying fucking "see arcades," that has nothing to do with home consoles you fucking moron.

>>N64 had microphone support.
>No it didn’t.
>A game had a microphone.

So a game on the N64 having microphone support means the N64 didn't support microphones? How do you come to that conclusion?

You're a fucking retard and are absolutely ignoring the point of the post.

>Arcade, Arcade, Arcade

Are you fucking retarded? How do arcades having features have anything to do with the fact the N64, Saturn, and PS1 are closer to the GameCube, Xbox, Dreamcast, and PS2 than to the Super Nintendo and Genesis?
>>
>>3142125
Not that guy but PS1 Dual Shock was an add-on and almost no games used the second stick.
>>
>>3141415
>>There are a plethora of other features, including dedicated video accelerator chips, and other 3D processing capability that make the N64, PS1 and Saturn far closer to the Xbox, GameCube, and PS2 than the Super Nintendo and Genesis, fuckwit.
>Na. You’re underage as it gets.

Except he's correct, and it has nothing to do with being underage.

Are you guy who keeps calling people "children"? Because citing one or two random examples from the 80s and 90s as reasons the n64, ps1, and saturn are retro doesn't make any sense.

Old technology is old technology. You relate it to the era. CD based consoles, not addons, with 3D acceleration were the norm in the 5th gen and afterwards. They are distinct from previous generations. There is really no argument here. Congratulations, you found one or two examples of things from outdated and failure systems (Atari 5200 had four ports, see, it's like the N64, GameCube and Xbox!)

Really dude?
>>
>>3141116
I played Hard Drivin' on my Genesis for hundreds of hours
>>
>>3142136
why?
>>
>>3142136
Ouch... Did you just not have any other games? What was it like playing the worst port of literally all time?
>>
>>3142139
Because I loved it and it was too expensive to play at the arcade

>>3142143
I think it was a fairly faithful port albeit lower poly and lower frame rate. At least add good as many of the VCS arcade ports like Reactor that I also poured tons of hours into

Talk to me after you've beaten Phantom Photon and stay raving your own ghost as the final stage shaving tenths of second off your route as you memorize every single poly.
>>
File: Explain this.png (1 MB, 1551x899) Image search: [Google]
Explain this.png
1 MB, 1551x899
>>3141415
Since you are this fucking retarded, and you like to pick random outliers, console addons that have nothing to do with the console (mostly targeting later generations to try to sell more shit that didn't really work, like the Sega CD and Turbo CD and Jaguar CD), let's look at this simple image.

Tell me in what the N64 is similar to the Super Nintendo over the GameCube.
>>
>>3142183
Y/B X/A was the way to use the SNES controller.
>>
File: testenights.jpg (232 KB, 797x448) Image search: [Google]
testenights.jpg
232 KB, 797x448
>>3141415
Not that anon but you are cherrypicking, which is a logical fallacy, to try to prove what is retro and what isn't. I don't consider the Super Nintend or Sega Genesis actual 3D gaming machines because they needed external hardware to do it, and the games provided in this thread are archaiv and unplayable with such simple polygons they aren't really 3D games, they also rely heavily on 2D overlays and 2D objects/sprites.

Also, you cite multiple things that have nothing to do with the actual consoles, like:

>Console Addons

>Arcades, which have nothing to do with home consoles

And you cite an outlier from a failed console, the Atari 5200, which is one of the most bullshit examples you could possibly provide as a reason the N64 is somehow more closely related to the Super Nintendo than the GameCube.

The truth is, and the fact of the matter is, the 5th Gen is essentially a less powerful version of the 6th Generation. In 2016, we should be able to look back at the era between 1995-2001 as clearly defining the retro age of 3D gaming. Instead we have people like you who call people that view 1995-2001 retro children, instead of realizing you're the child for failing to see the direct similarities between the two generations. They are completely removed from the 4th generation, and I don't think anyone is ever going to make the argument that the Sega Genesis was doing things like this
>>
>>3142197
Looks like it's just comparing the buttons to the GameCube controller's X and Y.
>>
N64, PS1, and Saturn are the systems that are the transition age for modern gaming. So I count those systems as the last retro gen.
>>
>>3142213
>the transition age
Half the argument going on is whether they're on the retro or not-retro side of transition. You're putting them on the retro side, which is fair, but use "So", as if them being transition machines qualifies them for being retro. Thing is, them being transition machines qualifies them just as well for not being retro. Which is why all the technical mud flinging is going on.
>>
>>3142213
See, that's wrong to me. They weren't really a transition. They pretty much defined the way the 6th generation worked. The transitional systems were more or less the early 5th gen consoles like the Atari Jaguar and 32X.
>>
>>3142213
That's not true because with that argument the original 3DS is retro, because it only had games like the N64 and PS1 and shit on it. Just because the graphics are shittier and the controls weren't as tight or intuitive doesn't mean anything. It's whether or not they have less or more similarities with the previous or successor generation.

Sorry but the N64 just isn't anything like the Super Nintendo, but it's a lot like the GameCube.

The PS1 has absolutely no comparison in retro gaming. It was an entirely new machine that should clearly define a new era of 3D gaming.

Retro 2D gaming vs retro 3D gaming is a real thing. Dreamcast is already accepted as part of the "retro 3D" era. So I'm still struggling with the distinction between Xbox, PS2 and GameCube.
>>
>>3142218
>technical mud flinging is going on.

It's really just that guy calling everyone children and citing examples of arcade machines that somehow have something to do with home console generations.
>>
>>3142226
>the original 3DS is retro
indeed, it is

>it only had games like the N64 and PS1 and shit on it
that's grossly ignorant. Graphics whore by any chance?

>Just because the graphics are shittier
yeah, definitely graphics whore
>>
>>3142231
lol no, my point was that what a system is capable of should determine what era it is more closely related to.
>>
>>3142254
and you're arguing that puts the 3DS in N64 territory. Graphics whore, plain and simple
>>
I think nothing less than fucking splitting the board into

/2Dvr/ for 4th gen and earlier

and

/3Dvr/ for 5th gen and 6th

will shut these fuckers up
>>
>>3142319
what will it take to shut up fuckers that can't even read OP and instead assume a paranoid stance?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.