[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were they THINKING? This is a disaster.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11
File: Dkc3_snes_boxart.jpg (299 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
Dkc3_snes_boxart.jpg
299 KB, 500x345
What were they THINKING? This is a disaster.
>>
>>3134489
Imagine this came out for the ps1.
>>
>>3134489
It's alright.
>>
>>3134494

Dem load times
>>
Donkey Kong 3? More like Donkey Diarrhea Shit from my ASS!
>>
>>3134489
>What were they THINKING?
Make more money as long the hype for this franchise continues?
It wasn't that bad by the way. The pipe levels were pretty interesting, the mountain levels looked awesome. No match for DKC2 though.
>>
>>3134494
Underrated gem, puts Mario to shame, Nintenfags will deny this
>>
>>3134489
It was actually a good game. Baby Kong was fucking stupid but the rest of the game was fine.
>>
>>3134489
Uh ... they spelled "chaos" wrong, lol.
>>
>>3134489
>What were they THINKING?
Free money
>>
>>3134547

This
>>
>>3134548
Are you actually this fucking stupid or are you being some kind of pedant?

Either way get the hell back to /v/ millenial.

It's a good game... it's not a great game, but it's a good one.
>>
>>3134635
No really they spelled chaos wrong.
>>
>>3134643

It's intentional.
>>
>>3134548

hahaha UR rite xD! mater of fact mortal KOMBAT is wrong too!

whoa
>>
>>3134643
KAOS it the evil anti inbreeding organization you are battling to protect the Kongs' religious right to procreate with family members. Am I the only one that read the backs of the boxes?
>>
>>3134615
You don't seem to understand the concept of free.
>>
>>3134650
That's a stylistic choice you tard.
>>
It's a great game, better than the original DKC.

The only thing wrong with it is Kiddy Kong's design, and maybe the music could be better. That's it.
>>
>>3134536
Pipe levels had shitty gimmicky gameplay though.
>>
File: You Gotta Be KIDDING Me.jpg (274 KB, 650x656) Image search: [Google]
You Gotta Be KIDDING Me.jpg
274 KB, 650x656
Donkey Kong Country 3 is a great game. All the DKC games for the SNES are.
>>
Loved it as a kid for all the collectables and unlockables and comfty music and enviroments, was my favourite DKC

Never played it again after that even though Ive played DKC 1 and 2 several times through the years

Im sure whenever I get to play it I'll see all the flaws you people talk abouy, but will also get a massive nostalgia charge, it's one of the very few retro games of my childhood I haven't played again since. Maybe that's why I haven't yet
>>
>>3135349
>I'm sure whenever I get to play it I'll see all the flaws you people talk about
Except you won't. You'll have a great time replaying DKC 3 and wonder what everyone's problem is. It was, is, and always will be a classic.
>>
Has anyone ever tried to patch DK himself in over Kiddy Kong? Seems fucked up that he only gets to be in 1/3rd of the games in his own series.
>>
Its good game. Also it was released on an already dead console at the time. I dont know why it gets so much hate.
>>
>>3135353
You're right, I shouldn't be expecting be bothered by stuff just because other people do

... Is this what's happening to everyone on this board?
>>
>>3135375
Ugly artstyle, sign of things to come with the banana birds and Bear Brothers.
>>
Worst one in the series but still a damn good game. Kiddie isn't even that terrible just very annoying when you die with him and he screams. Also the K Rool fight was weak compared to the other games.
>>
kiddie's basically a palette swap for Donkey with extra moves what's the problem?

>muh grownup vidya
>>
>>3134489
Whoever approved/was in charge of the new art style needs to be shot.
>>
File: 1024905005-00.jpg (65 KB, 527x370) Image search: [Google]
1024905005-00.jpg
65 KB, 527x370
>>3136106
it's no different to dkc1 & 2?
>>
>>3135340
This. I replay them all every year.
>>
>>3135340
It's a good game indeed. Not perfect but then again, you can say the same about every videogame in existence.
>>
Is the DKC trilogy the best video game trilogy ever? If not, what is?

I honestly think it is, retro or not.
>>
>>3136950
Sonic trilogy. At least you can play as Sonic in all the games, unlike DK in DKC. lol
>>
>>3135382
Yeah.
>>
>>3136957
That's why they have sub-titles. If they didn't use the DKC moniker we'd have faggots every other day asking if they should have stuck with the DKC name.

The equivalent might be something like:

>Sonic the Hedgehog
>Sonic 2: Return of Robotnik
>Sonic 3&K: Knuckles Knightmare
>>
Ah, the weekly DKC3-what-happened thread.

>DKC3 is terrible for [insert reasons] but the exact same stuff is what makes DKC2 brilliant
>I stopped playing midway through the first level therefore the entire game is bad
>Kiddy Kong is infuriating because I'm shit at the game and keep dying
>soundtrack and therefore entire game is shit because no David Wise
>GBA soundtrack is an unparalleled masterpiece despite being complete shit because David Wise

>DKC trilogy is just a case of holding right and sometimes jumping
>DKC trilogy sucks because it has no variety
>DKC trilogy sucks because each level has a new and different gimmick you haven't encountered before
>>
>>3134489
I really love this game, I had it on the game boy and allmost finished it when I was still younger, then a while back I thought about it and wanted to continue but then I realized that when my dad cleaned up the attic he asked me what to do with all these gameboy games and I said "throw it away" I still regret what I said back then.
>>
File: DK.gif (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
DK.gif
53 KB, 500x500
>Series is called DONKEY Kong country
>Donkey is playable in only one game

even as a kid this pissed me off
>>
Wow people actually hate this game? I think it's better than the first one.
>>
>>3134643
>hasn't played the game
>shitposts anyways
>>
>>3137085
>Let's remove the actual popular characters for a stupid dumb baby
>>
>>3137125
Stop being a stupid dumb baby.
>>
>>3134489
Should have been on n64 with upgraded gfx closer to the renders. Like the upgrade of snes KI vs n64 KIG
>>
>>3137015

You summed it up nicely.
>>
>>3137054
You can't play as Cranky Kong in any of the games though, so you can't play as Donkey Kong in any of the games.
>>
>>3138268

Jr is still Donkey Kong
>>
>>3137015
>>DKC3 is terrible for [insert reasons] but the exact same stuff is what makes DKC2 brilliant

Well, yes. Brilliance only works once. Even if you knock out of the park on the previous game copying it for the next is just a copy. Why would I play DKC3 when I already played 2.
>>
>>3134494
I would have killed myself

Objectively DKC is better
>>
I think it's slightly better than the first one and slightly worse than the second one.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 740x740
>>3137054
Underrated post
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (102 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
102 KB, 500x375
>>3134548
That's what we want you to think.
>>
>>3138275

Jr is Cranky's son.
DK in DKC is Cranky's grandson.
>>
File: bzzz.png (233 KB, 620x430) Image search: [Google]
bzzz.png
233 KB, 620x430
>>3136153
>>
>>3134527
HEHEHE

HE CURSED!!

That makes it better.
>>
>>3135382
It happens to everyone on every board until you realize that the people you're talking to don't all have the same tastes.

Someone taking a shit all over FFVII might just hate cinematics and hate the whole game for it. You might like cinematics and love the game for it.

Learn to sort through the shit and see what people are actually saying.
>>
Why were DK and Diddy swapped out? I hated these changes. I want three games with both of them, stop swapping them fucking out.
>>
>>3138762
>gen 1 pokemon vs >gen 5 pokemon
>>
>>3139286
Gen 1 was so good.
>>
>>3138535
Jr. is Baby Donkey Kong in the same way that Baby Mario is just a baby Mario, and not Mario's son. Cranky is the DK from the arcade games, Donkey is DK Jr.
>>
>>3134489
That game wasn't bad at all. Not the best of the 3, but it was fun.
>>
>>3135382
Just learn to have your own opinion. It's easy if you try. Look at me, I like Final Fantasy XIII, and dislike FFVI. People scream at me for it, and I don't get why. My tastes don't affect them in any way. I had fun with a game that they didn't, and that angers them for some reason. People are weird. And they're also dicks.
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_Jr._(arcade_game).png (2 KB, 224x256) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_Jr._(arcade_game).png
2 KB, 224x256
>>3139357

No, you never played DK Jr? You play as DK's son, and you have to rescue DK (Cranky) from Mario.
DK in DKC is the grandson of the original DK, ergo the son of DK Jr.
>>
>>3134489
It's fine, visuals are the same as the previous two, which is fine (I enjoy the art style) gameplay isn't any different either.

I don't really understand the hate for 3 and not the first two, they're all basically the same game.
>>
>>3139686
>I don't really understand the hate for 3 and not the first two, they're all basically the same game.

Not at all. Did you beat them 100% or come close to it?
>>
>another bait thread
>>
>>3136950
Metal Slug. 1>2/X>3 since they were all developed by Nazca.

I'd hesitate to call the DKC games a trilogy when 64 exists and they don't exactly have an ongoing or evolving plot and themes.
>>
>>3138468

I agree
>>
>>3139686
>visuals are the same as the previous two
Um, not really. 2 is a lot darker, has more attenton to detail, and most of the backgrounds has some animation going on. 3's character models are a lot goofier and there are barely any effects on the backgrounds which make them look lifeless and static for most part. Even the fist game was better in this matter and the first two simply look a way more photorealistic than the third one.
>>
say what you want about dkc3, it was better than 64
>>
File: dkc5.jpg (270 KB, 1023x1462) Image search: [Google]
dkc5.jpg
270 KB, 1023x1462
>>3136950
DKC isn't a trilogy anymore, anon.
>>
>>3143429
Well, it's the original trilogy, like Star Wars.
>>
Is this one of those ironic meta XD reddit threads?

DKC3 was a good game
>>
>>3135103
You could also say that about dkc2 rollercoaster levels
>>
>>3134489
i played through all these games on zsnes with the super eagle filter. and i enjoyed it more than i woulda on a real console.
>>
Cool game. I loved the secret ending(s) with the birds and shit and the helicopter. Graphics are even better than 2's.

What were your favourite and more hated things about the game?

I loved the hidden caves. I hated that fucking Razor Ridge boss, Barbos.
>>
>>3143806
You think that, but its undeniably better on hardware
>>
>>3143830
loved the open world and the moody music
didn't really care for the levels in the warehouses/barns
>>
File: insidemill_big.jpg (270 KB, 1500x997) Image search: [Google]
insidemill_big.jpg
270 KB, 1500x997
>>3144003
They're definitely sawmills. Barns may have been more appropriate though since Rare HQ at the time was based in old farm buildings.

The mills, mountains and tree settings all scream American northwest, but most people keep saying Canada which is weirdly wrong. Go watch Twin Peaks if you haven't.
>>
>>3143429
I like to pretend the terrible new ones don't exist
>>
I actually quite like it. Definitely the weakest of the three, but it's still better than most other SNES platformers. 100%ing as a kid was a lot of fun (doing the volcano levels, finding K Rool, etc.) and I still find myself replaying it every year or so.
>>
>>3144054
They're quite good. But not retro.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.