[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so hard to die in this game? >you don't actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: yi.jpg (29 KB, 377x263) Image search: [Google]
yi.jpg
29 KB, 377x263
Why is it so hard to die in this game?

>you don't actually take damage when you get hit
>if you miss a jump you can just flutter past it
>bosses all basically sit there looking cool and handing you ammo to kill them with instead of attacking you
>>
>>3134419
Land on spikes.
>>
I have yet to find one likeable thing about this game.
>>
>>3134419
Then you get to the final world and it's lava, pits and 1-ko spikes everywhere.
>>
>>3134419
I het you haven't 100% this beast yet. Faker.

The skill ceiling is what matters. Your post is whining about the skill floor.

>oh boo hoo I cant die
Time to git gud.
>>
>>3134419
Yoshi's Island is still the hardest Mario game to 100%. Dem extra stages.
>>
Have you tried trying to enjoy the game yet?
>>
Its casual babby shit for nintenyearolds. Play sega if u want sum challenge. Or nes
>>
>>3134443
If a game is not hard enough to cause thoughts of suicide then it is trash.
>>
>>3134453
That casual baby shit is the rawest most hardcore corn fulled shit thats ever passed thru your asshole if you accept the challenges. Are you man enough? Of course not. You shit rainbow sorbet, you sissy panty wearer.
>>
More importantly why is the music so bland and repetitive?
>>
File: yoyutchi.gif (3 KB, 80x100) Image search: [Google]
yoyutchi.gif
3 KB, 80x100
>post popular game cover
>say negative things about it

Guaranteed reples without fail

>>3134453
>add some console war and brand loyalty to the mix

Perfect recipe for /vr/ shitposting!
>>
File: 2016-02-21 00.46.10.png (50 KB, 1073x881) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-21 00.46.10.png
50 KB, 1073x881
>>3134464
Zelda 1

Not so good

Controls are all square-y and wonky. Has definitely shown its age.
>>
>>3134424
>>3134426
Forgot that
>you can actually kill stationary spikes instead of navigating around them
>>
>>3134464
I'm working on deconstructing this board and turning into v-lite.
>>
>>3134491

Good job autismo, I'm sure in the end it will pay off. You will remember this fondly on your deathbed.
>>
>>3134464
It's sad how eager this board is to respond to shit and idiots.
>>
>>3134464
I wasn't kidding when I said I can't find one good thing about it.
>god awful graphical style with stale colors that make it look like it were chalk on a chalkboard
>weird gameplay that makes no sense and isn't cohesive
>bland music
They really should have just made a straight-forward sequel to SMW instead of this trash.
>>
>>3134518
>chalk on a chalkboard
>stale
>not vibrant and childlike
>>
>>3134429
Seconding this. It's one thing to just beat the game but getting 100% is incredibly frustrating. Do a hundo run and then we will talk.
>>
>>3134528
I phrased my post wrong, what I meant to say was that the style itself made it look like chalk on a chalkboard. The colors being stale make it even worse. They should have gone with the same graphics as SMW.
>>
>>3134549
SMW is a bit ugly, friend.
>>
>>3134567
0/10.
>>
>>3134574
Whatever you delusional little fuck. It doesn't look bad but it's certainly no SMB3.
>>
>>3134425
Music and style. That's 2 things.
>>
>>3134419
>Why is it so hard to die in this game?

Because it is a game meant primarily for children, like practically every other Mario game.

If you want a hard game, play God Hand.
>>
>>3134607
>God Hand
NOT RETRO
>>
>>3134590
I think SM3 has a great deal more art that you expand on in your imagination, but SMW has solidified an appealing style across the entire game, doing things visually that SM3 couldn't achieve.

They both excel in two different ways.
>>
>>3134429
Collectathon gameplay isn't good, it's a tedious and lazy way to pad game length.
>>
>>3134620
That's a pretty tired troll when you realize we're in the conversation of "perfecting your skills" rather than "avoiding death"

You still think of games with a low skill ceiling but high barrier of entry as being the benchmark of video game difficulty, but I doubt your ability to pull off the stunts necessary to even compete in this "collectathon". You lack vision because your instincts are to survive.
>>
>>3134626
That's an awful lot of projecting you're doing there. Protip: that was my first post in this thread.

A game that requires you to focus on collecting things in order to 100% it is a game with an artificially padded length. Any idiot can add X amount of MacGuffins to a game to make it feel longer. A talented designer realizes that fluff adds nothing and that a focused, concise experience is better.

Why should I care about collecting every red coin and flower in a level and finishing with 30 seconds on the Baby Mario timer if the base game itself isn't fun or interesting? Why should I waste my time collecting things in a game I hate just to 100% it when I could be playing something else? I have no interest in replaying Yoshi's Island as it is, so why would I want to 100% it?

You should 100% a game because you're having so much fun, you feel compelled to. You shouldn't 100% a game because some anonymous poster on the Internet decides to completely dismiss criticisms by assuming you haven't.
>>
>>3135460
It's not fun for you cause you're bad. You're not MAN enough for the elite challenge.

Shameful
>>
>>3135515
Or maybe the game just isn't fun. Or maybe people have different tastes.

Either way, why would I want to 100% it when I could 100% a game that's more interesting to play, like Mega Man X?
>>
File: pacman1.jpg (14 KB, 860x484) Image search: [Google]
pacman1.jpg
14 KB, 860x484
>>3134620
What are Video Games?

Seriously, just focusing on the aspect of 'collecting' is narrowing your view of gaming in general. Collecting the red coin is not the gameplay. Making the series of jumps, hitting the target in time, etc to get to the red coin is the gameplay.

By the logic you're applying, shmups are "collectathons" because all you're really doing is collecting points. You're completely overlooking the meat of the game.
>>
>literally swallow enemies and shit them out then throw them at their friends
What the fuck. Why Japan?
>>
>>3134419
Because it's true purpose is not action or platforming but collecathon. Go fetch those percentages.
>>
It's much harder to do 100% completion than the direct challenge.
>>
It's Nintendo's way of balancing for broad audiences, they do this with their modern games too.
Standard playthrough is incredibly easy, balanced for young kids. Then there's a 100% route that's designed to be the standard difficulty/game for skilled players.
This is so apparent in the case of SMW2, it's surreal that some people judge this game by the braindead "walk from A to B" playthrough that doesn't use most of the game's mechanics and content.
>>
>>3134473
IIRC, 2D 2D (not 3D 2D as ALBW) Zeldas had no diagonal movement.
>>
>>3136143
Never played Link to the Past? That game got lauded for several reasons, one of them being that you could move diagonally in that game. I think that's also possible in Link's Awakening and the Oracle games and Minish Cap by Capcom.
>>
>>3136125
You could even go further and say that about a lot of older Nintendo games. Even Link to the Past and Super Mario World are designed in a way so the player can decide how easy or hard he/she wants them to be.
>>
>>3136113
>you don't have to do platforming to collect things.
lmao
>>
File: elevator lifts.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
elevator lifts.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>3136167
Super Mario 64 too.
>>
>>3136162

He already sort of mentioned LttP, and no, you can't move diagonally in LA.
>>
>>3136187
>you can't move diagonally in LA.
I recently played through LADX and yes you can move diagonally. Not sure about the original though, maybe you're referring to that one.
>>
>>3136182
Yeah, but that camera system is fucked.
>>
>>3136197
seemed fine to me.
>>
>>3134419
Because it's made for nintenyearolds. Nintendo know their target audience.
>>
>>3136193
Never played DX, but I distinctly recall being assmad that after playing LttP, LA vanilla didn't let you move diagonally.

Or perhaps my GB was fucked up or I'm a stupid retard with memory issues - I'm willing to concede ahead of time that I may be mistaken.
>>
>>3136212
>Never played DX, but I distinctly recall being assmad that after playing LttP, LA vanilla didn't let you move diagonally.
I never noticed that.
>>
>>3134485
?
>>
>>3136187

You can move diagonally on LA, original version.
>>
>>3134440
Took me almost 15 years to finally get around to 100%ing it. Glad to see it through to the end though.
>>
>>3136212
Yeah, you could definitely move diagonally in the original LA.
>>
>>3136187
>you can't move diagonally in LA
>>
>>3134549
They wanted to make it look like Donkey Kong Country. Miyamoto told them to suck his dick and that DKC was garbage
>>
>>3138424

Did you know, Hiroshi Yamauchi wasn't actually a human being? His body was a vessel that enclosed 7 oni from 7 different regions in Japan.
>>
>>3134518

>They should have cloned SMB again instead of making a new, unique game

Someone's been poisoned by the modern age.
>>
I think people who don't like Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64 are people who see the skill floor as the deciding factor for what makes a game good or difficult. They don't look at things like skill ceiling or mechanical depth.
>>
>>3138424
>Miyamoto told them that DKC was garbage
He wasn't wrong either.
>>
>>3136212
>I'm a stupid retard

You nailed it.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 212x218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 212x218
>>3134459
Thanks for the chuckle Anon.
>>
>>3141324
No need for that.
>>
I was stuck for weeks on the Pirahna Plant boss
>>
>>3134419
>Why is it so hard to die in this game?
Because dying isn't an accurate gauge on the difficulty of a game?
>>
>>3134419
Have you even played Special 1?

Didn't think so.
>>
>>3143715
poochie ain't stupid
>>
>>3143715
That was still relatively easy to 100%, but damn, dat 3-* and 5-*, took me months back then
>>
>>3134419
Actually if you get hit too many times while Baby Mario is in a bubble, Yoshi doesn't get back up
>>
>>3136204
It's perfectly fine for most of the game, but it's pure hell when it comes to Tick-Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride, especially if you're trying to 100% them
>>
I could never get into the game...grew up with super mario world 1, played that to death because my parents wouldnt buy any other games (they figured the game it came with was good enough and promised to let us rent games often, which never happened). Anyways, tried playing this with emulators a long time back, a few times because it gets so much praise, but I just never liked the controls and pace and couldn't get into it. But I recently played and enjoyed shovel knight . I'm rambling
>>
Nigga did you even play through the whole game? Some of the later levels are hard as hell.
>>
>not 100%ing

It's hard to die because you're playing on easy.
>>
>>3136162
You can move diagonally, they just never implemented sprites for it.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.