[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats the point?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: Sed_v2-1.jpg (983 KB, 2649x2070) Image search: [Google]
Sed_v2-1.jpg
983 KB, 2649x2070
whats the point of buying original cartridges when there is stuff like pic related. the games play the same and besides a handful of games that dont work you can basically play every game there is for just 80€.

should have bought a flashcard sooner. its a pity that emulators are still a mess otherwise I would use one.

prices for retro games, especially nintendo ones are fucked beyond repair.

thanks
>>
>>3134076
The only reason I buy old physical games at all is to own the games I wanted as a child, but didn't.

I would rather emulate otherwise. Most of the games that are worth playing are very playable in emulators.
>>
>>3134076
The point is that I grew up with real carts and real booklets in real cases, not an sd card with primitive game selector menu that turns the console into a 1000-in-1 famiclone.

I want to play these old games the way I remember them, which involves taking a cart out of the box with gorgeous artwork, putting it in the console, powering it on. Maybe read the manual if I get stuck or can't figure out how to play the game - or if I can figure it out but want to read more, in case there's something I missed.
>>
>>3134104
I did too but u cant tell me its reasonable to buy snes games for 100-150+€ nowadays, because thats what the good ones usually are worth if you can just spend half of the money of a good game and play them all.

dont get me wrong I used to collect myself and I thought like you but I recently sold my collection for a retarded amount and that shit opened my eyes regarding collecting games.

fuck the whole collector price bubble, that shit is whack.
>>
>>3134076
Honestly, if you're asking about "the point" the real answer is there is no point.

Hell, Flashcarts really don't have a point either, since you can just use an emulator and a controller to USB adapter.

So, basically, fuck off.
>>
>>3134076
>hi guyz i'm europoor who just got flash cart
If you ever evolve beyond loading on whatever lpfag shit you just watched you'll understand the point kiddo
>>
The only SNES games left for me to get are Mario RPG and Kirby Superstar. As far as I've read, they won't even work on these things.
>>
>>3134165
>Hell, Flashcarts really don't have a point either, since you can just use an emulator and a controller to USB adapter.
N64 emulation is never good.
>>
>>3134334
this.
no emulator in general is good.

heck, I even tried higan recently and it was still miles away from the real thing.
>>
>>3134165
Some emulation sucks balls, like N64 emulation.

A flash cart would also be appropriate for handheld stuff.
>>
>>3134076
I like flashcarts simply because they piss off the used video game sellers.
>>
>>3134468
>video game resellers are the reason for high prices!
t. economic illiterate
>>
>>3134119
>collector price bubble

It's not a bubble my man. People are buying up everything they can lay their hands on.

Ask about the Leica bubble over in /p/ sometime.

What happens is this: People will hang onto their old video games and carts if the price craters. When the price rises again they may sell off a few items to fund the acquisition of new stuff.

We can laugh at people who 'collect' electronics with unobtanium surface mount parts though.

Look for a new trend in the coming years - carts will be sold 'untested' because people will be passing off busted crap like gangbusters.
>>
>>3134389
>miles away from the real thing

come on, bruh. I've been playing on different snes emulation for more than a decade. Almost every game is indistinguishable from the original at this point. It's damn near perfect for every game that I want to play.
>>
>>3134472
>video game resellers are the reason for high prices

Actually they are, they hoard games and trickle out the 'rares.'

Many of the 'rare' titles saw tens of thousands of copied imported into the USA.

I'm a collector of many things, including documents from antiquity, Ukiyo-e, and rare coins. I know exactly how this sort of thing goes.
>>
>tfw I have a virtual boy flashcart but I collect for all other systems
Is something wrong with me?
>>
>>3134487
The only flashcart I have is for the Game Gear. And an R4.
>>
I get flashcarts and buy the few games that don't work on them If I wanted to play those games.
>>
File: amy schumer fan.png (3 MB, 2074x1762) Image search: [Google]
amy schumer fan.png
3 MB, 2074x1762
>>3134076
I'm not too sure. There is a certain charm to having the original, but why bother when you can get a flash. The only reason I even buy games/consoles is because Im reseller scum. I've got a Chinese Everdrive for SNES. It came pre loaded with every retail game. I'm having trouble running translations, but that could be my fault. $60 and free shipping, what a deal. Got an everdrive 64 also. It even emulates NES,Master System, and GB. Imagine I bought all those gaems....
>>
>>3134076
>cartridges
>not tapes
>>
>>3134119
>u cant tell me its reasonable to buy snes games for 100-150+€ nowadays,

You don't have to buy every single game, just the ones you play. Assuming you have a job, that should not set you back much at all.
>>
not falling for this bait fuck off fag
>>
People are saying emulation not good blah blah but we all know the real answers are:
1. Doesn't look as nice on shelves so you have nothing to impress your friends with.
2. You can't resell a rom if you need quick cash (which most collectors inevitably do since they're bad investors)
>>
>>3134076
>prices for retro games, especially nintendo ones are fucked beyond repair.
Makes me wish I was a Jap.
>>
>mfw copies of SMB/Duck Hunt are like $10 on eBay
>Literally millions of these fucking things around
>mfw no face
Honestly I feel bad for you if you insist on playing genuine carts only. It's the worst time in the short history of video games to be interested in actually playing games.
>>
>>3134076
One, some of those, esp the SNES ones, don't have 100% compatibility.

2nd, might not be justified at that point in time that you want to throw in that much money when starting up.
>>
>>3135003
>mfw $10 means something
>Literally millions of people make that working a few minutes
>mfw didn't read rule about underage posting
Honestly I feel bad for you.
>>
>>3135105
This.

Get a job, and suddenly all those games won't be so unattainable anymore. Hell I live on ~€300 a month and I'm capable of building a Saturn collection.
>>
>>3135105
>>3135116
>It's ok to pay a bad price for something because I can afford to do so.
Who's the underage one? Sorry I touched a nerve over you getting scammed on a mass produced piece of plastic, my man.
>>
>>3135225
>mommy won't buy me games anymore, wah wah wah
>>
>>3134076
having the actual game in a hard copy isn't the same as having it on a flash cart for some people, it's like collecting vinyl, it's the idea of having something solid, tangible, and good looking.

>>3135087
I thought they fixed that issue with the SNES version.
>>
>>3135240
My burn was better. See ya kiddo.
>>
>>3134076
>prices for retro games, especially nintendo ones are fucked beyond repair.
there are plenty of lesser known games that are great and are really inexpensive on both the NES and SNES, NES more so though just because of the insane amount of games that came out for it.
>>
>>3135003
>ebay
that reminds me, what is that retro game only selling site where you can even trade games if you want.
>>
>>3135225
>i'm too young to understand what underage means.
topkekkid
>>
>>3134076
To play games instead of spending all day waiting for any opportunity to mention their flash carts.
>>
>>3135105
>hurr everyone is rich leik me hurrdurr

Fuck off whitey not all of us were born under royalty.
>>
>>3134076
Flashcarts are really the way to go if you are genuinely interested in simply playing games on their native hardware with a legit setup. Does not make sense piling on physical games you might play a few times. Got me flashcarts for Genesis, TurboDuo and N64.
>>
>>3135414
>simply playing games on their native hardware with a legit setup

Yet everyone who owns one just sits around on /vr/ and shitposts about how amazing their flashcarts are instead of actually playing video games.
>>
>>3134482
It is miles away because he feels like an adult playing on a pc instead of a kid playing on the console.
>>
>>3135403
>$10 is rich
If you save up maybe some day you'll be a hundredaire
>>
>>3135420
Except I'm taking turns beating bosses on megaman 3 with my baby bro. We're at the wily tower by the way.
>>
>>3134482
Do the people who run the home for special people you've been locked away in for the last 10 years know your brother loaded roms on their PC?
>>
>>3135428
This is really the only answer for me and a lot of people. I grew up with the systems I still play so the nostalgia factor is real (and enhanced by beer).
>>
People like to collect things op. Why collect physical anything? Why have more than 1 pair of shoes? Why have more than 1 computer?
>>
File: 1411914800576.jpg (31 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
1411914800576.jpg
31 KB, 640x478
>>3134076
>basically play every game there is for just 80€

Lots of games that don't use a basic chipset, or have a custom one don't run correctly. Especially SNES flashcarts.

Honestly though I love flashcarts because they keep people who aren't actually that interesting in collecting away from the market, thus keeping prices down. I've seen hipsters pay 20+ for Mario/ Duck Hunt simply not knowing better.
>>
>>3135668
You sound very poor. What part of Brazil are you from?
>>
I know some games don't work with Everdrive, but is there some sort of negative to using one, like lower framerate or anything at all?
>>
>>3135725
>I've seen hipsters pay 20+ for Mario/ Duck Hunt simply not knowing better.

Ugh.
>>
I already have over 100 games that I bought in the early 2000s at $3 each. Why do I need a flash cart?
>>
>>3134104
>the very definition of autism
>>
>>3134076
Why not a Retron 5? Original consoles and spare parts don't last forever.
>>
>>3135725
>Lots of games that don't use a basic chipset, or have a custom one don't run correctly.

Custom chips are emulated in popular emulators now, or have some patch for the ROM. Why can't a flashdrive do it?
>>
>>3137171
Brasil has a 60% tax on everything imported. That everdrive would cost over 100 yuropoors. Collecting original non-pirated carts would have to be a richfag's hobby.
>>
>>3134076
these everdrive chips cause piracy. its illegal.
>>
>>3134076
absolutely nobody is going to be interested in some chip you bought off the internet and your total lack of real game cartridges.
>>
>>3139081
>tfw I have a group of friends who meet up every saturday to play video games and we are all interested in seeing each others latest console mods and flash carts and playing games that are otherwise unattainable on a normal budget.

Plus playing romhacks on OG hardware with your bros is a hoot and a half.
>>
File: 1458603227097.png (31 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1458603227097.png
31 KB, 800x800
>>3139135
>Thing that never happen: the post
>>
>>3139156
I'm kind of befuddled that this is a hard to believe concept. Could you tell me which part of that is unreasonable?

Last saturday we were swapping an xbox hard drive and IDE cable. The week before we were messing around in perfect dark ROMhacks on his everdrive64 and co-oping with the silly two controller control scheme.
>>
>>3134334
Yup. Try playing Paper Mario or Yoshi Story on Project 64 without messing with the emulator at all. You can't. It amazes me that 64 emulation is still shit.
>>
>>3139574
You're supposed to use Glide64.
>>
I think its purely for collecting purposes, I own an xbmc machine which has basically every game available and they all run fine but I still want to buy cartridges of my favourites because its nice to say I own them.
>>
>>3139618
I do this with horror games. I have a plethora of modded consoles so I can play anything I want, but if I find something nice like Siren: New Translation for cheap I'll snatch it up just to have on my shelf.
>>
>>3134076
Yeah, collecting is pointless.

But so are landfills.
>>
>>3134076

I have the Everdrive 64 v3 and i like it so for, is there way to patch PAL games to run in 60hz? Like Mystical Ninja 2?

I really hate the PAL n64 games, because N64 was the worst console Nintendo ever produced and it can't properly boot games in 60hz and to mention that the console doesn't support RGB out
>>
>>3135725
95% of games doesn't use any special chips, and theres only 10 worthwhile games that does use them, while tons of other game doesn't use 'em(and many of them are double, or even more expensive than super everdrive too.
>>
>>3134076
>What's the point of buying carts when this thing can't run them all.
Answered your own question genius
>>
>>3139825
just use ntsc/(U) roms, other than two/few games needing patch(to get past regionlock screen), they all do play 60hz even on pal n64. Note that they actually run in PAL60 which some TV's dont like/support.
>>
>>3143792
I have my PAL N64 RGB modded.
When I play NTSC ROMs via my EverDrive v2.5: the games run at 60hz, in the proper resolution (no black bars), and in full colour.
When I play PAL ROMs via the same EverDrive: they play at 50hz, in their proper resolution (some with black bars, some without), and in full colour.

Best of both worlds! An EverDrive and an RGB mod effectively makes a PAL N64 a universal multi-region system.
>>
are you guys sure the games are expensive? weren't they forty bucks back in the day? inflation-adjusted that's what now, seventy? sixty? somewhere in between?

i still have 49 or so games from back in the day and have never bought one used, but i can't imagine the average price is seventy bucks.
>>
>>3134076
>thanks
what?
>>
>>3139041
stupidest reply ever

>>3139079
repros are illegal faggot
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.