[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I discovered today that I own over $1400 in Saturn games.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10
File: SSPDS.jpg (354 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
SSPDS.jpg
354 KB, 1000x562
I discovered today that I own over $1400 in Saturn games.

I honestly feel sick. I’ve owned these things for years. I love these games. Why does this hobby have to be filled with such scumbags? I want people to enjoy these games and not treat them as fucking investments. I understand games being a bit more than retail. Maybe around $150 or so. At least that’s within the realm of reason. But Shit like Burning Rangers being over $400 on ebay now? Wtf.

I want these games to go back to being borderline worthless. I’d like people to enjoy them. I can’t tell any younger person to play retro games.
>>
>>3133389
Video games have been a lot better to me than women.
>>
>>3133385
>I’d like people to enjoy them. I can’t tell any younger person to play retro games
Just tell them to install Pseudo Saturn and get an import copy if they really enjoy it.
>>
>>3133407
I've never been a fan of pirated stuff.
>>
I'm still campaigning for a website to be made that combines the features of pricecharting.com with a collection site such as backloggery so that you could list your collection and also be given a ballpark figure of what it's worth.
>>
>>3133385
What I find crazy is that a lot these games were bargain bin in the early 00s back when I started collecting.

I also wish it was more attainable so people can see just how special the Saturn was but at the same time If people are willing to pay that high of prices then I will gladly take their money when I unload my collection.
>>
>>3133503
>What I find crazy is that a lot these games were bargain bin in the early 00s back when I started collecting.

That's bullshit and you know it. Most of those Saturn games that are in the triple digits now were already in high demand (considering their low supply in the beginning) amongst Saturn collectors.
>>
>>3133539
Calm down. I was talking about Saturn games in general not the big hitters like pds, magic knight rayearth, etc. Majority of my Saturn collection was bought in the $10-$20 range back right after the DC died and the ps2 was king. Games like Astal, Darius Gaiden, X-Men children of the Atom, etc were bargain bin.
>>
>I'm gonna keep these video games wrapped up and never play them because I'm a fat faggot
Said every collector ever.
>>
>>3133481
That's what I've been saying for years. Like a Discogs, but for video games.
>>
>>3133385
Primer-mundo problemas, familia.
>>
>>3133385
>I can’t tell any younger person to play retro games.

They don't fucking want to anyway.
>>
>>3134403
Real talk, that would be dope. I love discogs. Not necessarily for the estimated value feature, but as an organizational tool and marketplace as well.
>>
>>3134403
There's Glitchwave which is in beta right now. It's made by the people who made RateYourMusic if you're familiar with that but considering it's RYM related it's probably going to consist of circlejerks of obscure unplayable/untranslated games or Earthbound, Deus Ex, King's Field list goes on types.
>>
>>3133481
Satakore.com does basically just that, plus it also has an insanely powerful ebay search engine.

Like, imagine how vendors put up a game in a differently translated title, and no one bids there for that reason. But they show up on the ebay searches there, so you can find way more stuff and usually cheaper than just by searching on ebay alone.
>>
>>3134924
Does it pull data from sites other than ebay? You're gonna get a grossly overinflated figure if that's the only site. At least pricecharting gets its data from 3 or 4 different sources.
>>
>>3134926
I dunno, I only use their RSS feed for good auctions.

Bought a ton of odd or cheap shit that way.
>>
>>3133390
I know how you feel, man.
>>
Buying Japanese copies can mean the difference between $30 and $300.
>>
Does anyone really know how many collectors just buy games to hoard them or resell them? Retro gaming is so popular and supply is limited so I can easily imagine most of the market is interested in actually playing the games. By definition all collectors have a bit of investor in then, because if you only cared about playing the games you'd emulate them. Why assume that collectors other than you are evil?
>>
>>3136945

and then you can flip it as a "rare japanese import" with a $250 markup and ruin that market too :)
>>
>>3138635
>because if you only cared about playing the games you'd emulate them
Emulation is pretty trash in general. 99% of it now is normie cellphone emulation.
>>
>>3138750
Pretty much. Higan and Dolphin come to mind as good emulators but that's literally the small minority.

When will someone Make N64 Great Again? I'd rather shove my dick up a gorilla's ass than use cancerous emulators like Project64. That shit is fucking awful. At least most of the library isn't Saturn tier in terms on pricing.
>>
People arnt scumbags (well, they are, but not because game prices are high).

The problem Is so many want the games and saturn sold like shit so not many copies exist. Also people who want complete collections, theyre the problem too.
>>
>>3133539
like every saturn game worth playing (and many that aren't) is over a hundred right now. there aren't many affordable saturn games unfortunately.
>>
>>3139749
>like every saturn game worth playing (and many that aren't) is over a hundred right now. there aren't many affordable saturn games unfortunately.

I have a drawer of Saturn games that are all worth playing and not a single one of them cost over $100. And I'm missing a ton of the cheaper shit like many Capcom fighters and both Panzer Dragoons.
>>
Other than a few exceptions like Street Fighter Alpha 2, most US Saturn games aren't worth buying because the manuals suck. Always lazily done, all text, barely any art, all in black and white, and few pages.

Now japanese Saturn games, that's a different thing, the manuals are always beautiful and filled with art, full color and lots of pages.

The same can be said about Genesis. Why was SoA so cheap?
>>
>>3139759
>cheaper shit
>Panzer Dragoons
Spot the underage.
>>
$1400 isn't really that much. That's equivalent to buying about 23 brand new games at retail price.
>>
File: Image1.png (291 KB, 1148x527) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
291 KB, 1148x527
>>3139919
They cost $15 each, not counting Saga.
>>
>>3138640
Some people on this side of the pond (US/canada) seem pretty cool about not screwing people. Some guy in Canada was selling some JP saturn imports for like 2-5 USD including the limited box version of Tokimeki Memorial (without the big box part, just the game, limited paper sleeve and supplementary paper material), so I didn't have to open my sealed version of the game.

Anyway, since this seems the best place to ask, does anyone have a saturn model 1 they'd be willing to take a picture of the internal drive opening mechanism of? I have a JP model 2 and 1 and I bought the model 1 for parts but it actually works except that it appears a torsion spring is missing so the drive doesn't rise up when opened. It's not the same mechanism as on the model 2. I just need to figure out how the mechanism works so I can try to find a replacement spring.
>>
>>3139782
>Why was SoA so cheap?

They blew all their case budget on creating those godawful xbox huge jewel cases.
>>
>>3133576
yeah, you bought that shit when it was still cheap

i have a pricing guide from a decade ago and you guys would fucking die if you saw what shit was worth back then.

i started doing this shit WAY back in 96, its too bad i wasn't into a few of the systems i am now though because i know i saw shit tons of rare games in my travels.

now everything is stupid priced as fuck, i used to be able to go flea markets and pick up NES games for quarters a pop.
>>
>>3139934
NTSC U
>>
>>3139948
Only retards buy NTSC-U Saturn titles.
>>
>>3139952
I can't understand moon.
>>
>>3139953
Why the fuck would you need to understand moon for Panzer Dragoon 1-2? The only text in the game is PRESS START and PAUSE.
>>
>>3139782
Oh man. Not even just the manuals, JP Saturn games are often chock filled with random shit. Baroque has a really neat plastic insert that adds things to the cover, Yu-no has different under-cd illustrations which are numbered, Wachenroder has a mini artbook and a developer's note under the CD. Aside from bonuses some of them were just filled with promo material, catalogs, registration cards, and of course the spine card (well, that wasn't originally inside the case). Heck, some JP Saturn cases are thicker than a standard CD case and won't fit on a standard CD rack just because they needed the extra space to hold the extras.

>>3139934
And you can often get them for even less.
>>
>>3139960
>JP Saturn games are often chock filled with random shit.

Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon comes with an actual handkerchief, Cotton 2 comes with a calendar, and Madou Monogatari has a trading card (3 different ones, collect them all).
>>
>>3139959
No, there's text in the cutscenes. But not all that important to be able to play the game.
>>
>>3139939
I still have a couple of those massive PS1 cases. I don't know whether I lament the change to normal CD size or love it.
>>
>>3139962
>No, there's text in the cutscenes.

So you pay 5x so you can watch a poor quality FMV that you could just check on youtube, while the rest of the game is the exact same?

Moron.
>>
>>3136945
Some JP saturn games are still very pricey. Some titles are only "moderately pricey" like Guardian Heroes, Princess Crown, and Saturn Bomberman, but others get into US saturn price territory like Twinkle Star Sprites and Radiant Silvergun.

I'll get a copy of twinkle star one of these days. Maybe.
>>
>>3139967
May as well just watch some lets player play the game then. champ.
>>
>>3139961
>cotton 2 tea cup sells for as much or more than the game

Jesus. I hate finding out things exist. Being a collector is a bad rabbit hole.
>>
>>3139972
GH and Saturn Bomberman used to be cheap, but shot up recently. They are still only around $30-40.
Princess Crown always went for $40-60 on average.

If you don't mind them not coming with spine/regcard and maybe have a dent in the manual, you can find them way cheaper. If you pay attention to auctions, you can find them WAY cheaper.
>>
>>3139975
Well if your idea of playing Panzer Dragoon is jerking off to the FMV cutscene, then I guess you could..

But last time I checked it the game part of PD involves controlling a motherfucking dragon and spewing lasers on various steampunk airships and mutant lizards. Not watching FMVs.
>>
>>3139997

Not him (I agree that JP games are often better and cheaper) but I guess playing PDII and being able to watch the cutscenes with english subtitles is a good extra, unless you can read japanese.
The best thing is that since the game uses its own made up language, you aren't getting a bad english sub over the original japanese, it's the same audio, except with english subtitles.
Of course you could just watch the english cutscenes in YT if you wanted to know what's going on, but hey it's always better if it's all included in the game.
>>
>>3139972
Twinkle Star Sprites is stupidly expensive on every platform. The DC version is the most affordable, but even that will run you about 70 bucks.

By the way, if you think the Saturn version is expensive, look up the AES version. You'll flip your shit.
>>
>>3139931
OP here. I was talking about over $1400 across 4 games. I have more than that.

I don't keep up with prices much. Only reason I looked it up was for some trades on stuff.
>>
>>3140070
In terms of import stuff I mainly focus on Saturn collecting with some occasional Dreamcast (exclusives or exclusive limited editions). Given the option I'd much rather have the Saturn version even at the increased cost. Then I'm also a music CD collector so I want the OST for completionism, but I don't even think the music is very good.

>>3139936
Still would like a kind soul to pop open their model 1 saturn.
>>
>>3140113
Still though, the point remains that the DC version is the cheapest. Also, unlike the Saturn version, it comes with a built-in translation based on you system language.

But anyway, did you look up prices for the AES version? If not, I'll save you some time. It goes for over $2000 on the low end, and there's one on eBay for $13000.
>>
>>3140113
>Still would like a kind soul to pop open their model 1 saturn.

Which one do you mean? Model 1 only tells us the button shapes, the drive mechanism can be totally different between earlier and later units.
>>
>>3140148
also, there's this.
>>
>>3133385

>Blaming resellers for capitalism
>>
>>3140185
How is ebay capitalistic?
>>
just be happy you have that shit OP. not many people fuck with saturn
>>
>>3140248
If there was a way to find a non asshole or I had a friend that actually gave a shit about this stuff I'd trade or sell t aa greatly reduced price from ebay my RPGs. Since I never play them anymore anyway except once ever 5-10 years.

Bit I know damn well if I sold my copy of Saga for like $150 or less it would just get scalped.
>>
>>3140148
I'm not looking for the drive mechanism. I'm looking for the physical drive opening mecanism, which im pretty sure only changed between the chassis revisions of the model 1 and 2. On the model 2 it's a torsion spring that hooks into a mount on the lid.

>>3140157
On this diagram It's I-17 and it helps that I can see approximately what shape the spring is, but it doesn't show how it needs to be mounted to actuate the hinge. Well thanks regardless. It gives me something to go on.
>>
>>3133385
Hey man give them to me for free and I'll enjoy the living heck out of em.
>>
>>3136945
Even the Japanese games are going up so you better get what you want while they're still somewhat reasonable. Honestly you're better off just waiting for pre-orders on the Rhea to open again or modding your Saturn to play burnt discs at this point.
>>
>>3133385
Retro game bubble is stil going strong, especially in shithills like Amazon. Anyone paying more than $100 for a game that isn't full-on rare and difficult to obtain, or comes with some massive proprietary fuck-off controller, is a rube.
>>
>>3140254
You say you're looking for non-assholes to sell your saturn games to, so I'd nominate myself, but only assholes would nominate themselves as non-assholes. And I don't play games that much either, I collect them more nowadays. And I don't collect US Saturn games to begin with, only JP ones.
>>
>>3133385
I discovered today that penis goes in vagina.

I honestly feel sick. I've owned genitals for years. I love genitals. Why does this hobby have to be filled with such scumbags? I want to enjoy these genitals and not treat them as reproductive instruments.
>>
>>3140424
>or comes with some massive proprietary fuck-off controller

lmao get a load of this kid jealous over my Steel Battalion controller.

Just kidding it gave me massive buyer's remorse and made me go back to my $50 max rule.
>>
>>3140424
Nah, I can at least understand high prices on sought-after items. Rarity doesn't mean much for price. I own legitimately rare TI-994a carts but no one is going to pay jack for those.
>>
>>3140436
As bad as this analogy is, at least it's not a food analogy.
>>
>>3140254
I'd love to buy stuff from you, but I don't buy US Saturn games.
>>
File: I'm eleven.jpg (66 KB, 361x574) Image search: [Google]
I'm eleven.jpg
66 KB, 361x574
>>3140436
>>
File: DSCN0422.jpg (492 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0422.jpg
492 KB, 1600x1200
>>3140440
thinks people get jelly over some plastic
>>
>>3141284
would this work in PC with a usb adapter
i would love trying this on a flight simulator
>>
>>3141291
I dont think so, the left stick only moves L/R and the right has no return to center. The xbox plug is a jumper cable, so maybe they had planned other consoles or pc but it never happened. I think thrustmaster makes an overly complex flight stick
>>
>>3141298
Sadly, no. I'm in a group on FB who regularly get together and play. Need an OG XBOX to run it and use the controller.

Honestly, though...shit's amazing. I run the Steel Batt room at PAX East and we have a 10 rig deathmatch setup going on. We do 10 minutes at a time and let people murder each other. We keep it fairly sane and only give them Vitzhs. But, at night I just sort of let people play whatever. Last year, some people stopped by and gave me a set of sticks and the single player game. I was floored.
>>
>>3133412
first day on 4chan?
>>
>>3133385
CDRs cost a few cents dingus
>>
>I feel sick because I just found out some of the stuff I own is worth more than I thought

what the actual fuck

White people, I swear to God...
>>
>>3143685
name one program that burn cdr's and let you play them on the Saturn with out modding the system.
>>
>>3144226
Swap trick.
>>
>>3144226
Pseudo Saturn and nero/imgburn? $30 for an extra action replay plus and the flash took one disc swap. I play my Saturn daily.
>>
>>3144240
>>3144250
That still requires help from a 3rd party device. I'm talking about software that will burn SS cue files to a blank CD-R, and boot them as if they where official disc.
>>
>>3133385
>. I can’t tell any younger person to play retro games.
ah yes, because 20+ yo systems cant be emulated near perfectly, with the execption of saturn and what not

... or that you can mod the original hardware input to use copied, its not like the original devs and publishers are still profiting from large scale sales, or any new sale of those games anyway, so theres zero ethical issues.
>>
File: NoWhining.jpg (62 KB, 300x391) Image search: [Google]
NoWhining.jpg
62 KB, 300x391
>>3133385
>Biggest humblebrag on this board right now.
>Doesn't realize modchips and sd readers exist
>Thinks because things are expensive people are scumbags.
>>
>>3144226
Most of them. It can be done with the swap trick or pseudo.

>>3144365
>Swap trick requires a 3rd part device
>I said mod but I've moved the goal post
>I think you can burn a cue file by itself to play a game
Literally retarded
>>
>>3144226
>with out modding the system.
sounds like
>og mer god, i cant stain the sanctity of the original hardware

go spend a meerion dora on some picasso you huge faggot
>>
>>3144365
>I'm talking about software that will burn SS cue files to a blank CD-R, and boot them as if they where official disc.

This is physically impossible, the Saturn discs have a special bit groove layout that trigger the copy protection. Wobble something or another. The only way you can get around it is modding.
>>
>>3133390

Yep. Feel you. Been abused before. Not fun.

>inb4 men cant be abused by women youre not a real man
>>
>>3133390
Is that because with video games some sort of sucking is involved but with a woman never?
>>
>>3133385
>I’d like people to enjoy them.
They emulate well.
>I can’t tell any younger person to play retro games.
You can.
>>
File: GunstarHeaven.png (4 KB, 156x232) Image search: [Google]
GunstarHeaven.png
4 KB, 156x232
>>3140412
if this thread still exists tomorrow, I'll provide pictures, anon.
>>
>complaining about sega saturn prices
Try collecting Neo Geo AES stuff. All of it is heinously expensive and then there's a shit ton of boots everywhere. Video game collecting was fucked by normalfags.
>>
>>3133481
I'm waiting for pricecharting to not suck ass. Most of the time it calculates japanese copies into the average price and even the CIB section includes most loose copies.
>>
>>3133389
New fag go back to v,b or pol and leave vr to the actual mature minded people
>>
>>3139936

When I was selling some of my Japanese stuff in Canada, I found that there were like no buyers at all. If I kept it priced high, I was never going to sell it. Because I wasn't a retard who wanted to sit on something for 10 years waiting for another retard to show up and buy my Japanese game for a higher value than it's actually worth, I dropped the price to below online value and it still took months to find a buyer.

Anyway I live in Japan now, and I sometimes put things on sale that I no longer want and while I won't make a profit, I'll get a bit more money through the exchange rate to USD than if I were to go to a recycle shop and sell it. That's what I did a few months ago with a copy of Super Adventure Rockman. Put it up on eBay at the same price as the lowest recently sold copy, then slowly decreased until someone bought it. I was able to make my money back that way and ended up only being like -100yen in the hole for that purchase (game is expensive to buy despite being so damn short) whereas if I sold it back to a store here I'd be -2000 or more yen in the hole.
>>
>>3148630
>Hindu god Shiva
>standing on top of what appears to be a pile of poop

DESIGNATED
>>
>>3149569
This. Saturn is downright cheap compared to AES.

Mad that your favorite Saturn game is 200 bucks? AES games can go for TEN TIMES as much. Seriously. This "$1400 worth of Saturn games" could get you ONE of the more sought after AES games.
>>
>>3154403
At least with a Saturn you have the opportunity to play burnt games. With the AES you have the opportunity to use a MVS multicart if you buy an adapter that costs more than a consolidated MVS. Or an AES multicart that costs more than all that shit combined.
>>
Toss them out of a moving car like Jesse on Breaking Bad
>>
>>3155237
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqcJatEExVw
>>
>>3133385
I'm in a similar situation with thousands of pounds worth of PAL saturn games, but I don't think it's just the fault of scalpers; it's more that the supply was limited even on release and that combined with a lot of people probably owning these games but not knowing their worth - the value is bound to increase.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.