[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vectorman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 14
File: Vectorman_cover.jpg (32 KB, 228x316) Image search: [Google]
Vectorman_cover.jpg
32 KB, 228x316
Been playing some of this recently and going through some older Genesis games.

It's honestly not very fun. I really hope the Genesis actually has some enjoyable games that don't just feel like tapping B and going through the motions.
>>
>don't just feel like tapping B and going through the motions.
All genesis games are like that, I suggest dropping them altogether.
>>
>>3132783
Fuck, really?
>>
I know the guy that did most of the art for this game, anyone want me to get him to post here?
>>
>>3132832
Take him to reddit instead, he's gonna get devastated if he ever comes here.
>>
>>3132832
Don't get me wrong, the graphics are amazing, but honestly the game is super fucking boring and I feel like I'm just rushing to get to the end just to see what's next because it might be more fun.
>>
>>3132838
It's a sega game, what do you expect?

>>3132836
He's not some fragile little faggot. He's very opinionated and only gets along with me because of how much we argue.

He's actually at a pretty low point in his career right now in my opinion, he's doing art for mobile games right now. I think one of his latest projects is some bowling game where you throw a character sitting in an inner tube instead of a ball.
>>
>>3132847
>It's a sega game, what do you expect?

I feel like this might be some Nintendo bait, especially with the SNES and Genesis wars lately, so I'm not biting.

I know there are better Sega games. I don't remember playing games on the Genesis as a kid and just wishing they were over so quickly.
>>
>>3132778
My only gripe was the camera. Seemed too zoomed in, making flat-out running a pain without memorizing enemy layouts. It's satisfying watching enemies explode in to bits, though.

Try Gunstar Heroes.
>>
>>3132865
I'll have to buy gunstar heroes. I just picked up strider as well.
>>
>>3132852
I'm just trying to stir up some shit with you personally, I'm sorry.
>>
>>3132806
play gunstar heroes vectorman actually sucks and I love the genesis
>>
>>3132879
You don't have to apologize, I have the SNES and Genesis side by side, I don't have a preference really so I was just confused. I was seriously not expecting someone to say "All Genesis games are just waiting to get to the end."

>>3132885
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder why it makes like top 20 lists.
>>
>>3132895
It's pretty and sounds good.
>>
>>3132904
and plays nicely, I was actually turned off by the graphics myself im not huge on the treasure style but I bought the game because I saw it for a fair price and it lived up to all the hype I heard.
>>
>>3132904
+1

best Genesis OST after Streets of Rage 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7Z7D58gj8
>>
>>3132910
>plays nicely
It's boring and feels bleh.
>>
>>3132934
It doesn't suffer from the clunky physics syndrome that's prevalent throughout various euro/NA platformers.

Though the actual levels could've used some more meat, agreed.
>>
>>3132870
>I just picked up strider as well

Better game. Vectorman's fairly overrated. Sequel was pretty fuckin rad though
>>
>>3132895
>I'm starting to wonder why it makes like top 20 lists.

Interactive Sega logo.
>>
File: P1000848.jpg (38 KB, 487x319) Image search: [Google]
P1000848.jpg
38 KB, 487x319
What I ended up purchasing was:
Vectorman - Painful to playthrough. Got to like stage 4 or 5 and got bored when I was able to survive.
Strider - So far seems good, although seems too arcade like for my taste so far.
Aladdin - Fucking great game, reminds me of a true video game and not an arcade shooter.
Sonic 2 - Fuck this game. I'm definitely going to get Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, though.
Mickey Mania - Another solid game that feels like a real game.
Mickey World of Illusion - Great game, great two player, feels like a game and not a cheap arcade game.
Road Rash 2 - Decently fun

So if you can tell my tastes from that and recommend some other games, I'm also probably going to get Shining Force and Shining Force 2, as well as Rocket Knight and Gunstar.
>>
>>3132987
I didn't mention Golden Axe 2. The game is too slow and too boring for my tastes, even though I loved it as a kid.
>>
>>3132778
Sounds like you don't like video games.

It's a decent side scroller.
>>
>>3132987
>Sonic 2 - Fuck this game
But, why?
>>
>>3133000
I mean, I love F-Zero, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Street Fighter, Shenmue

So I do like games.
>>
>>3133000
>not liking one game means you don't like any

Vectorman is a like it or hate it game. I'm personally not too fond of it. I've had considerably more fun with many other Genesis platformers.
>>
>>3133000
I also like Donkey Kong Country, when I can get to a save point. I hate restarting all the way over from the very beginning when I lose a few lives due to learning a new level.
>>
>>3132987
>Sonic 2 - Fuck this game.

Difficulty or just plain hate?

>Micky World of Illusion - Great game

My fucking nigger. I absolutely love everything about World of Illusion. My first experience with TECHNOLOGY was when the pause logo was a silhouette if you paused right when lightning struck in the single-player thunderstorm stage.
>>
File: 2286.jpg (135 KB, 568x564) Image search: [Google]
2286.jpg
135 KB, 568x564
>>3132987
>Sonic 2 - Fuck this game.
You're breaking my heart, anon
>>
>>3133036
>Playing Sonic 1 and 2
>Not 3
>>
>>3133042
>not playing and enjoying the shit out of all three

What kind of plebs are you?
>>
>>3133042
>playing anything other than spinball
>>
>>3132832
Doesn't sound like a good idea

but if you could, ask him if he has any good stories working at Blue Sky. They were one of the better western devs on the Genesis.
>>
File: 1458637964204.jpg (30 KB, 314x375) Image search: [Google]
1458637964204.jpg
30 KB, 314x375
>>3132832
>>3132847
I guess I never think about where those people end up
anonymous internet person sends his regards
>>
>>3133081
It's a thought that always comes to mind every time I finish an old game and there it is a dozen names of the people behind it. Usually I google them out and most of the time the game I played is pretty much the only thing that pops out.

It's also common people ending up in managerial positions and things like that.
>>
>>3133094
Some are dead.

Buried in the ground.

And you just played what they made, the only thing left on this Earth that anyone can experience from their mind.

Dust to dust.
>>
>>3132778
A lot of youtubers that do their "top 5" or "top 10" lists are listing games they played a single level of or worse read a wikipedia article about just so they can make a video about it.

There are a ton of bandwagon collectors now too with big collections in the background and they don't play half those games, or have not beaten most of the games and have just played them for 15 minutes or an hour or two and moved on.

Vectorman is not an in the middle type game, it's a love it or hate it. Most of it's levels leave a lot to be desired, and they are way too dragged out. Reviews wont mention that.
>>
>>3132987
Yeah anon, stay away from the arcade ports on the Genesis. Check out
Ristar
Earthworm Jim
Wonder Boy in Monster World

You'll be a happy man with those.
>>
File: 1458901367378.jpg (62 KB, 516x339) Image search: [Google]
1458901367378.jpg
62 KB, 516x339
>>3133042
>Not playing Sonic 1
You are a special kind of slow.
>>
File: 1362038903745.png (469 KB, 1439x529) Image search: [Google]
1362038903745.png
469 KB, 1439x529
>>3132987
What do you have against arcade style games?

g-get gud bitch :(
>>
>>3133258

Some people cannot handle going fast, like that poor son of a bitch. Arcade style games have and always will be the cream of the crop.
>>
File: amy-rose.jpg (176 KB, 450x650) Image search: [Google]
amy-rose.jpg
176 KB, 450x650
>>3133243
>playing any other Sonic when Sonic CD exists
For what purpose
>>
>>3133269
Because Sonic CD is closer to a Ristar game than a Sonic game.
>>
>>3133269
maybe he wants fast and good level design
>>
>>3133270
You're making Sonic CD sound better than normal Sonic games. Was that your goal?
>>
>>3133274
My goal was to express the fact that CD wasn't about going fast.
>>
>>3133276
people get mad whenever I point this out

Sonic CD is actually about speed management. They made a everything a clusterfuck so it wouldn't be so easy.
>>
I can play the classic Sonic games on repeat my entire life, Mario games infuriate me not because of difficulty but because they are so inane and pattern obsessed. DK Country was good.
>>
>>3133276
Well, none of the classic games were about "going fast" per se. That was always a marketing ploy. CD is just a different approach. The level design feels like a western-style game like Earthworm Jim or something. That's what makes it more enjoyable for me, how much more open-ended and adventurous it is. Not to mention it has the best art direction and music of any Sonic game in existence.
>>
>>3132806
To be fair there are only 3 buttons
>>
>>3133287
Sonic 2 had the best music
>>
>>3133292
It's good, but it can't compete against this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7pK00Us3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfC-70XKFfM
>>
>>3133287
>Well, none of the classic games were about "going fast" per se.

They were much more focused on speed than CD ever was. They weren't strictly about going fast, but there were many moments in all three games where going fast was the whole point.
>>
>>3133287
>Not to mention it has the best art direction and music of any Sonic game in existence.

Neither of these are true. I loved CD, but come on now.
>>
>>3132832
Aww man, you don't realize how important Vectorman is to me. I didn't have a lot of vidya growing up after my dad lost his job, so my mom sold almost all my games. The one game I always had and still replay to this day is Vectorman. Fucking love the art, music, Vectorman, the bosses, literally everything about this game.

If you aren't trolling, just shoot that guy a message letting him know just how much I appreciate his work he put in. Would love to hear any development stories too
>>
>>3133315
It's nice to have such a strong emotional bond to a game like that. I think the closest thing I have of this is with Gunstar Heroes and Altered Beast, both games I played countless hours with my brother. In the end these bonds won't happen because of the game's quality but mostly by the circumstances it came into your life.
>>
>>3132778
If you don't like arcade style or run n gun games then I have some bad news for you about the Genesis library. Maybe Nintendo is a better console for you.
>>
>>3132987
>What I ended up purchasing was:
> Painful to playthrough.
>seems too arcade like for my taste so far.
>reminds me of a true video game and not an arcade shooter.
> Fuck this game.

This is why I recommend emulating. Even if you know you want to play on real hardware, you could at least check out the systems and games you're thinking of buying.

Most of the Genesis library is pretty arcade focused, if you just buy at random like that you're probably going to waste a lot of time and money.
>>
>>3132778
its a much better game once you start exploring for secrets and the generators/satellites.
also vectorman's feet jets are stronger than his fireballs. like you're not just spamming shot all day.
>>
>>3132987
Quackshot, Cool Spot, Tinhead, Landstalker... Perfect games for people who are suffering from testosterone deficiency.
>>
>>3132778

OP isn't wrong, Vectorman is a little bland gameplay wise.

Music and visuals are great though
>>
>>3133698
>Quackshot

Great game.
>>
>>3132987

Try Ecco
>>
>older Genesis games
As opposed to the ones released last month.
>>
>>3133769
I highly doubt that guy would be able to handle Ecco. It'll just get us more shitposts about how rocks kill you.
>>
File: solar_front.jpg (66 KB, 502x700) Image search: [Google]
solar_front.jpg
66 KB, 502x700
>>3133774
Some of those are great for millennials.
>>
>>3133776

If he's casual, all the more reason to throw him into the crucible.

Besides, even if you're shit, you can appreciate the atmosphere and music.
>>
>>3133782
I followed those guys back on Eidolon's forum way back in the day and bought the game when they began a kickstarter. I wanted to like this so bad.
>>
>>3133797
Why? He's not going to beat it, he's barely going to play it. We'll just get more shitposting topics.
>>
>>3133831
>We'll just get more shitposting topics.

Yeah, it's fine if you like games like Vectorman and all, but it's not my cup of tea. If you want to keep insulting me and talking shit, that's fine, but I already said I liked Aladdin. Strider and Vectorman don't feel like actual games, they feel like games you'd play in an arcade with quarters and when you're out you go to something else.
>>
>>3133890
Not him but that's why I advocate emulating. >>3133589 If you don't like arcade style games, the Genesis is not a system I would really recommend for you.

Although Ecco the Dolphin isn't an arcade type game.
>>
>>3133903
I'll probably emulate and try games out from here on out, it just sucks that the top 10 lists burned me like this.
>>
>>3133907
And that's why I don't make recommendations.
>>
>>3133890
>Strider and Vectorman don't feel like actual games

Top pleb. How do you even get out of bed in the morning?
>>
>>3133907
Plenty of ways to avoid getting "burned". 1.Watch lets plays on youtube
2. Emulate
3. Make friends with and ask people who have played it
4. Stop being a spoiled brat
5. Get good
>>
>>3133915
The /vr/ rec thread I saw a week or so ago actually had a lot of unique recs, nothing like the generic top 10 lists, so I should probably follow that.
>>
>>3133907
>it just sucks that the top 10 lists burned me like this.

That's why top 10 lists are mostly completely useless. Tastes in what you want out of video game vary far too much for top 10 lists to ever mean much of anything.
>>
>>3133917
>Top pleb. How do you even get out of bed in the morning?

Certain people like certain games. Getting hit by enemies you can't see and jumping into TVs is all you do in Vectorman. It's really not that great. Strider itself is really cool, but I hate just turning on turbo on the arcade stick.
>>
>>3133921
>so I should probably follow that.

You shouldn't follow anything. That's what go your buying a bunch of games you ended up hating because you didn't bother thinking for yourself. Get an emulator and try out a bunch of games until you find one that you like and then go buy that.
>>
>>3133921
There's no difference in recommendations or top 10s. They are both arbitrary.
>>
>>3133918
>4. Stop being a spoiled brat
>5. Get good

You know how boring it is to "get good" at a game like Strider? It's so fucking mindless and repetitive.
>>
>>3133945
Sounds like you just suck.
>>
>>3133947
Yeah, probably. I much prefer games like Super Metroid and Castlevania IV.
>>
>>3133952
Ultimate pleb.
>>
>>3133957
I want to like the Genesis, but you're not helping much.
>>
>>3133952
Emulato Monster World IV you might like it.
>>
>>3133969
Not him but why do you want to like it? Isn't it clear that most of the games for it are of an arcade style that you don't enjoy? Why would you want to like something you don't like?
>>
>>3133005
>>3133008
>citing all these snes games in a genesis thread
sounds like your doing some heavy snes propaganda here. take your nintentoddler shit to another thread and leave this one for genesis, shithead.
>>
>>3133945
mindless? you probably cant even get past level 2 the game is a masterpiece.
>>
>>3133975
Rampage Edition is fun.
>>
>>3133979
>Citing SNES games I like, hoping for some Genesis games like it
>SNES Propaganda
>>
>>3133945
Well, you didn't deny being spoiled but one can't hold you at fault for that. I'm 31 and Vectorman was cool as hell when it came out. Theres no way to see it from that perspective now that you've seen some shit like Crysis or something. Its bittersweet because you also can't see how hollow and lifeless most modern games have become.
>>
>>3132778
>don't just feel like tapping B and going through the motions.
>>3132934
>It's boring and feels bleh.

fucking Final Fantasy VI plays boring and feels blah, and you only need to press B to eventually win. But I could say the same of Megaman or Super Mario too, if I tried hard enough, and any argument you'd bring up otherwise I could also use for Vectorman.

I'm not saying Vectorman has some super special awesome gameplay (it's a vanilla platform game from the era with stock gameplay and its own gimmicks, same as 99% of every platform game on the market), but at least come up with a real argument.

Let me guess, you also think it has floaty controls...
>>
>>3133945
>You know how boring it is to "get good" at a game like Strider? It's so fucking mindless and repetitive.

You know how boring it is to "get good" at a game like Street Fighter 2? It's so fucking mindless and repetitive. You just punch and kick the enemies until they fall down. I much prefer games like Sim City.
>>
>>3132832
>I know the guy that did most of the art for this game, anyone want me to get him to post here?

I'd love to hear any stories from him about how the game was made, anything that got unfinished, how the art was done, how they applied it to all the special fx... really, anything.

The title screen alone blows my mind in how it does so many palette cycling changes.

But I think it would be better if he'd post at, say, Sega-16 instead of here.
There are too many trolls here, who troll with forced fake opinions, which are so bullshit that they trigger everyone (like saying that SOR2 is the weakest in the series, model 1 saturns are higher quality, Genesis Aladdin had shitty backgrounds, Ikaruga is babys first shmup, etc...).
>>
>>3134048

Personally, I thought it was a massive disappointment after the first one. The levels are so devoid of any actual design I'd swear they were procedurely generated.
>>
>>3134056
Crysis in the hardest mode is as close to playing the Predator as we'll ever get, so don't knock it.
>>
>>3134120

>it's a vanilla platform game from the era with stock gameplay and its own gimmicks

That's the thing about this game though, it's so average. But yet, you always see it being held up as one of the best games on the system. I think it's because people have already played all the actual good and creative platformers on the mega drive, so if you really want more platforming, vectorman is an okay choice.

We'll probably see the same thing in several years time when the current/previous gen are considered retro. Everyone will have played all the good open world games (for example) and people will be reccomending stuff like watchdogs and holding them up as some great hidden gems. Really, the only reason they were hidden was because, while they played pretty well, they were just so generic and really offered nothing new.
>>
>>3134169
>But yet, you always see it being held up as one of the best games on the system.

I think it's the polish. Sure it didn't do a ton new, but it looked great and the overall pacing is good. Vectorman wouldn't make it into my top 10 Genesis games, but I can see how it makes it into some people's.
>>
It's pretty obvious the OP is a casual and prefers tamer less-arcadey games like those provided by Nintendo. Nintendo survived and Sega didn't because the former knew how to cater better to casuals.

Not that there's anything wrong with casuals or being casual. Just an observation.
>>
>>3132832
genesisfag here

don't bring him here vectorman blows nuts
>>
>>3134292
Arcades and Sega died because those kind of games lack substance. You can normally beat them in about half an hour's play time. Nintendo games were deeply memorable experiences, Sega games were just fleeting thrills.
>>
File: 1458214424782.png (191 KB, 419x398) Image search: [Google]
1458214424782.png
191 KB, 419x398
>>3134327
How do video games lack substance? How do arcade games lack substance?
>>
>>3134330
MUH STORY I assume.

I love games on both systems. I don't know how any true gamer couldn't.
>>
File: decapattack.jpg (96 KB, 418x600) Image search: [Google]
decapattack.jpg
96 KB, 418x600
>>
>>3134327
Read this.

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/arcade_culture/
>>
>>3134330
For example, compare each company's mascot series, Mario Bros. vs. Sonic. There's 32 stages in the former and only 18 in the latter, almost 50% less. Nintendo games simply had greater content and generally more thought and creativity put into them, while Sega games had the "arcade mindset" of shallow limited quarter-munching design and other nonsense of a bygone era which Nintendo had grown out of.
>>
>>3134364
>citing icycalm
Really, Segafags? You can do better than that.
>>
>>3132778
Vectorman is way better if you use a turbo controller. By 1995 there was no excuse to still use the "1 press, 1 fire" control scheme.
>>
>>3134365
How does more stages mean anything? Often times the Sonic stages had branching routes within the level that provided different challenges such as an upper and lower route and sometimes even a middle one with opportunities for players to alter which route they were on along with the more rigid levels on where you can go to.

It is fine to want more content, but I find that in general the 2D Mario games had less memorable levels. You had a few standout ones but everything else just sort of bleeds together.
>>
>>3134056
What the fuck are you talking about? I'm 28 years old and owned a Genesis as a kid. I just don't feel the same playing them now.

You're a fucking pretentious prick.
>>
>>3134330
>How do arcade games lack substance

Holy shit, they were designed to eat quarters.
>>
>>3134442
So people just deposited quarters into a machine and left? Why did they put quarters into a machine? Why did they allow these machines to "eat" their quarters?
>>
>>3134449
Arcade games are designed to give you limited plays for a specific amount. If you want to keep playing, you pay the price. People that transfer responsibility to to the machine don't want to admit how much time they've devoted to the game.
>>
>>3134449
Arcade games are simple and littered with enemies to kill you quickly. You can get really good and play off a small amount, but the vast majority of players die and have to pay more for continues.

The arcade ports on Sega, like Strider, do this immediately. Before you can even learn what you can do, you are covered in enemies taking your health. This forces a bunch of repeats.
>>
>>3134460
Castlevania Bloodlines and Aladdin are great games on the Genesis.
>>
>>3134454
>If you want to keep playing,
So people would voluntarily pay to keep playing? So would that imply it having substance? People often don't pay for something without a good reason so chances are there is substance or a perceived substance to what they are paying for. They are paying to play a game, that game has substance.

>>3134460
Yes, just like any game with challenge. There is no doubt that arcade games are hard to have players continually pay to play again, hell I think in an interview or documentary the average time a new person lasts in Robotron 2084 is less than a minute.

>he arcade ports on Sega, like Strider, do this immediately
No it doesn't, unless you really react that slowly after initiating the game. Even I didn't have that sort of trouble when I first played that port. Maybe action based games aren't for you.
>>
>>3134476
I'm done responding to you.
>>
>>3134476
I don't think Strider has substance.
>>
>>3134483
That's your opinion.
>>
>>3134365

>more=better designed

This is why we have modern day games filled with hours of disposable content but shitty as fuck gameplay.

You are part of the problem.

And reading this thread made me realize that people who spent more time with their nintendo instead of the arcades were always part of the problem.
>>
>>3134327
I've been playing arcade games like Asteroids, Centipede, Defender and Robotron for years and still have never beaten them. When you play for score, the game never ends.

On the other hand, I've beaten several Nintendo games shortly after buying them and then never played them again due to a lack of incentive to do so.
>>
>>3134815
Arcades were shit, mate. That's why they're dead. Nobody wants to pay $50 for a game that lasts 30 minutes.
>>
>>3134369

He's right though.
>>
>>3134826
You're a shitter go back to your fallout 4 faggot
>>
>>3134832
Stay assravaged that your shitty arcade scene is fucking dead and burried where it belongs, nigger.
>>
>>3134327

If you just want an "experience" go watch a movie. We complain about modern games being easy to play interactive movies, but apparently it's what nintendo players wanted all along.

Arcade games are all about the gameplay and keep a high skill cap. It's really amazing watching someone who's good at an arcade game of choice; you can really feel that they know their shit. Watching someone play mariokart or an rpg? Not so much.
>>
IN THIS THREAD: People with balls VS People without balls
>>
File: 1425316342186.jpg (84 KB, 435x326) Image search: [Google]
1425316342186.jpg
84 KB, 435x326
>>3134839

>people like this actually exist on this board
>>
>>3134839
wow you actually like those boring ass moviegames? get better taste kid.
>>
>Make thread about how I don't like Vectorman
>It turns into people going insane about arcade games

Welp. Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I guess I'll just try Ecco on an emulator before buying it and I'll try Ristar.
>>
File: 1458863748471.gif (1 MB, 376x480) Image search: [Google]
1458863748471.gif
1 MB, 376x480
>>3134903
>>
>>3134903

I think they're saying the genesis just isn't for you. And you sure as hell wont like the TG-16 or NeoGeo or x68000 or pretty much anything else that isn't nintendo since that was the peak of the arcade era.
>>
>>3134369
>[x]fags
Really /v/? You can do better than that.
>>
>>3134947
>getting upset over the term fag
Back to your hugbox on tumblr, kiddo.
>>
>>3134970
>muh hugbox and reddit boodeymen
Really /v/? You can do better than that.
>>
>>3134947
>>3134972
He's from /v/, he can't do better no matter how hard he tries. Hence why he can't into arcade games, hence why he thinks Nintendo games are better than arcade games.
>>
>>3134972
Kill yourself, homo.
>>
>>3134979
/v/ shitters first. :)
>>
>>3134978
>seriously thinks arcade games can even touch Nintendo's quality first-party software

There is no such thing as an arcade game that has smoother controls or more interesting level designs than Super Mario World.

Enjoy your artificial difficulty, arcade retards.
>>
>>3134982
Faggot degenerates like you will be the first to get lynched along with the rest of the useless LGBT community.
>>
>>3134985
>the difficulty is artificial because I am too stupid to notice any subtlety durrrrrrrr

they must have nintendo machines on the shortbus
>>
>>3134985
Enjoy your good but in the long run shallow (outside of speedruns) video games while we enjoy our Metal Slugs, DoDonPachis, Final Fights, and other arcade games, /v/ buddy.
>>
F-Zero GX was developed by Sega, and was released as an arcade machine. Nowadays it is considered the finest Nintendo game ever made, and one of the finest racing games as a whole, ever.

Coincidence?
>>
>>3132987
The Genesis built itself on pretty good (not perfect but pretty fucking good) arcade ports. If you don't like arcade style games--shorter, generally more difficult, "shallower" gameplay--then you probably won't like a large selection of the Genesis library.

I love the console, don't get me wrong, but many of its games are very arcadey fast paced difficult games that, if you don't want to invest a lot of time into gittin gud to have fun, you probably won't.

Like, I love Sonic 2 because I grew up with it. I hate playing Sonic 3 because I didn't, so I don't know it and keep fucking dying because I don't know the levels.
>>
>>3134936
>tfw I love TurboGrafx

Way to speak for me.
>>
>>3135014
Mario Kart had an arcade release too. F-Zero AX was just F-Zero GX put into arcades.
>>
>>3134365
SMB1 repeats 2 entire worlds. You would know that if you got good and actually made it past 4-2
>>
>>3135042
>If you don't like arcade style games--shorter, generally more difficult, "shallower" gameplay--then you probably won't like a large selection of the Genesis library.

There are plenty of Genesis games that don't fit "arcade" style. Ristar, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Aladdin, Shining Force, Shadowrun, etc.
>>
>>3132778
Mah nigga. One of the best dropped for Genesis. Graphics were badass when it dropped. Took the game Ballz and made a cool hero to run with
>>
>>3134365
The "arcade mindset" is one of high replay value. High challenge that requires replaying the game to improve your skills and in turn your score. If you remove that challenge and scoring system, then you also remove the replay value, and so of course you will need to make up for it with more content. But even then, a really well designed arcade game will often still provide more play value.

Other than to relive some nostalgic memories, what reason is there to ever replay any Mario game or just about any other modern Nintendo game that doesn't have an arcade sensibility, such as Mario Kart or Smash Bros?
>>
>>3135386
Replay value is for autists. Enjoy your crippling mental illness, dipshit. You could've put all those hours playing the same 30-minute game over and over into learning an actual useful skill. Meanwhile I finished my Nintendo game a long time ago and already moved on with my life, like a normal healthy fit sexually active adult white male.
>>
>>3135212
You didn't read much of the OP did you
>>
>>3132778
Get Beyond Oasis OP. Awesome Zelda-like for the Genesis.
>>
>>3135445

You're arguing with said autists on 4chan. You are not the things you say you are.
>>
>>3135489
See, these are the kind of suggestions that are awesome. Beyond Oasis looks great and looks like fun, far more fun than Vectorman.
>>
File: 1459904144723.png (591 KB, 750x650) Image search: [Google]
1459904144723.png
591 KB, 750x650
>>3134479
Good I don't need to talk to bitch ass nigga's.
>>3135445
Just like a person who doesn't care about games. Play it once and shelve it like a movie. Very little perceived depth or compelling level design to want to replay it, just like the average movie an average person watches. Go back to your white picket fence life style with your two and a half kids, white bread, and vanilla ice cream. I'll just remember if I wanted bland I'd adopt your taste.
>>
I believe people like >>3134985 >>3134839 >>3135445 are just trolling, they seem to hate every action game made before 1990
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.