[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nintendo "flopping"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 1
File: Genesis.png (544 KB, 570x566) Image search: [Google]
Genesis.png
544 KB, 570x566
Nintendo didn't do so well with the Nintendo 64.

It didn't do so well the Gamecube.

It did AMAZINGLY and outsold all the systems of last gen and this gen with the Wii, which sold over 100 million units.

Suddenly, it doesn't do so well with the Wii U, and everyone is claiming that nintendo is done if the NX isn't great.

Hasn't Nintendo seen worse times in the past? Why are people pretending this is the worst Nintendo's dealt with?

After selling 100 million Wii's or more, the company seems fine.
>>
Because it seems like they don't even have a real audience anymore. They've alienated basically everybody at this point.
>>
>>3123524
Weren't people saying this after the N64 and Gamecube too?
>>
>>3123524
Who would fill in Nintendo's shoes?
There has to be a few companies waiting in the wings to cannibalize Nintendo's console market.
>>
>>3123517
>everyone = some kids on the internet
Nintendo will be fine. Kids who grew up on the DS and have outgrown shit like cooking mama cry because Wii can't play lol and whatever other shit they want now that they've discovered PC games. The next generation will be fine with whatever muhrio games Nintendo shovels out next.
>>
I just want Nintendo to stop milking their old franchises. It was pathetic 10 years ago but now its just sad.
>>
>>3123559
I would feel fine about old franchises if Nintendo actually created new games. They are attempting to rehash old gameplay, and not revolutionize the gameplay.
>>
>>3123559
Why is there a double standard with Nintendo milking franchises but when Sony and Microsoft does it, it's perfectly ok!

How many Halo and Gears games were there on 360 alone?

How many Resistant, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, etc games were only PS3 alone?

And what makes this worse is all of those 360/PS3 games have pretty much exactly the same gameplay except with a new story.

At least Nintendo mixes it up a bit more than that!
>>
>>3123517
The Wii U has sold about 12 million consoles.

That's just about the same number the Dreamcast sold.
>>
>>3123524
>>3123546
>>3123549
>>3123551
>>3123559
>>3123561
>What is Splatoon.

Also I commend Nintendo for the Wii U and not caving into the cancer of Sony and Microsoft. No online PayWalls. Very little DLC. Games work out of the box.

Best games of the generation are on Wii U. DKC Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2
Mario Maker
Splatoon
WWHD
TPHD
MK8

etc
>>
>>3123576
Splatoon is already totally forgotten about. That shit hit and dropped like a bag of rocks. Only a limited number of /vg/ spergs cared about that shit.
>>
>>3123579
I'm sure the new flashy big game will be around soon for you. CoD maybe? Should hold your attention for 5mins before you go to the next game.
>>
>>3123589
Oh you're so fucking hilarious. You're responding to a guy who spent half his night playing Body Harvest and Splatterhouse, but yeah, I'm definitely a Tour of Duty type of guy.

Just because Splatoon was a piece of shit that failed to get adopted on a failing Wii U piece isn't any reason to get offended. The hype before it launched and the then over exaggeration for that game is almost legendary.
>>
>>3123576
DKC Tropical Freeze I'll give to you. Bayonetta 2 I'll give to you. Mario Maker, no. Gimmicky shit. Splatoon is gimmicky shit. WWHD no. TPHD what?
>>
>>3123590
In what way did Splatoon fail?

The game is fun as shit.
Sold a shit load. I believe more than any 1 single software titles on Xbox One at last count.

Not enough doujins?
>>
>>3123567
Those aren't ok either but those also haven't been around since the 80s
>>
>>3123592

>Mario Maker
>gimmicky shit
>it's literally just "make mario levels and play other peoples' levels"

How are you not using the easier bait of "it's just le rehash only you have to make it yourself!"?
>>
>>3123606
Ubisoft have released more Assassins Creed home console games since 2007 than Nintendo have released home console 2D platforming Mario games since 1985.
>>
>>3123517
>After selling 100 million Wii's or more, the company seems fine.
I thought their QoL developments were interesting.
Now Iwata is dead and company isn't doing well, so QoL was scrapped and it's not profitable.
>>
>>3123614
>le
This thread is over, guys.
>>
>>3123614
Man, you're sperging hardcore over splatoon and mario maker.

How is
>Just make fucking levels yourself and play them, whatever, it's a game

Not a gimmick?
>>
>>3123546
This and
>>3123524
this.

People have always been quick to proclaim "NINTENDO IS DOOMED" when their consoles don't sell particularly well. If it's any different all this time, however, it's because Nintendo has alienated a lot of its fanbase. They gambled huge on and capitalized off of casuals with the Wii, but it cost them their hardcore support. Now, it's clear that the Wii fad has ended, casuals don't care about Nintendo anymore, and hardcore fans don't really either. Sure, some still have a soft spot for Mario and Zelda, but that's just not enough to get people to buy Nintendo consoles when you can get so much more with PS, Xbox, or PC.

And then you hear rumors about Nintendo once again building an under-powered console with a controller gimmick and you have to seriously ask yourselves how stubborn and blind can one company be?
>>
>>3123672
Nintendo's between a rock and a hard place here. They would suffer greater financial losses if they tried and failed on a console technical power "arms race" than they would on an underpowered gimmick console.

Ultimately a business is about profit.

Nintendo would prefer to be in a profitable third place than an unprofitable position of market dominance.
>>
The Wii sold for two reasons.

One, it was cheap. Dirt cheap. For the entire gen it was the cheapest console.

Two, it was a fairly new concept with the motion controls and appealed to a wide audience. A lot of people who don't even play games got a Wii.
>>
>>3123595
Didn't that game have like no maps? What about Nintendo's match making and friend code stuff how does that affect online play?

>>3123590
Fuck year, Splatterhouse is great.

>>3123567
The difference is that it is Mario everything. Mario Olympics, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Mario Soccer, and so on. He is everywhere. So unless you really like Nintendo there isn't much of a reason to own a Nintendo console.
>>
>>3123517
You forget the handhelds. The DS sold better than classic game boy. The 3ds not so much and smartphones probably will prevent another successful portable device.
>>
Shiggy is retiring soon (if he's not already retired) so perhaps we may see some fresh new stuff come out of them.
>>
>>3123576
Best Wii U games.
Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Wonderful 101
Mario Kart 8
Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles X (my favourite)
Splatoon
Pikmin 3
Wooly World
>>
>>3123576
>WWHD
>TPHD
If you want to include ports, Xbone beats it easily with the Rare Replay collection.
>>
>>3123856
>implying rare replay makes up for the Wii U's vast virtual console library
>>
>>3123856
>no goldeneye
>rare replay
>>
Take your console war bullshit to >>>/v/ and get the replies you deserve there.
>>
>>3123517
>Suddenly, it doesn't do so well with the Wii U, and everyone is claiming that nintendo is done if the NX isn't great.

Done with consoles, maybe. The partnership with DeNa and the rumors that NX is basically a proprietary mobile device with a TV dock, coupled with their domination of the handheld market will likely ensure that Nintendo will be around for quite some time, just probably in formats people might not expect.
>>
>>3123898
That's the thing about Nintendo. They've changed the industry that they focus on more than once in the past. Originally they only made playing cards. Then they moved onto toys, love hotels and other things before getting into the video game industry in the mid-70's. It's why they're still around after more than 100 years.

While they have more than enough money to survive many more console failures, Nintendo is not going to support consoles to near-bankruptcy like SEGA did. They will simply leave the market. It's likely in that scenario that they will focus more on dedicated handhelds and mobile, as well as whatever that Quality of Life stuff they were talking about last year.
>>
>>3123559
>I want Disney to stop making Mickey Mouse products
Shut up, stupid.
>>
>>3123712
>Didn't that game have like no maps?
That was at launch
>>
>>3123974
Yes, precisely.

That all said I actually do genuinely believe the NX won't be a proper console (not as currently defined, anyway) and the Wii U will likely be their last before they spin off exclusively to mobile/handheld, though once again I think they've let their competitors get too much market share in that regard.
>>
>>3123980
All that shit is on the disc already - I have no idea why they decided to keep it single-player only until an arbitrary "release" date for them to unlock in multiplayer.
>>
>>3123579
>>3123590

Splatoon is one of the best selling games this gen and it has the second most active online community on WiiU second only to Smash Bros. In what way did Splatoon "fail." You're just spewing baseless moronic lies with absolutely no proof. The game sold over 4 million copies, nearly half of ALL WiiU owners bought the game. That's a good adoption rate.
>>
>>3123624
There's also been a yearly COD game for just as long. But Nintendo is the one who keeps rehashing their franchises amiright!
>>
>>3124014
To a normal person any game that has mario is a safe rehash no matter the genre. Sticking mascots into everything is why many people are jaded with nintendo.
>>
>>3123517
>Hasn't Nintendo seen worse times in the past?

Not really. I mean, they had little failures, like the virtual boy and the SNES disk thing, but overall, no.

Nintendo's problem is that it's a company in a 2016 market that still thinks it's in 1996.

What propelled nintendo to success in the US market was:

>it entered into a market with all of it's competitor's facing bankruptcy
>it invented lockout chips and quality assurance in a blown-out market
>it sold a handheld that was based on outdated tech in order to market reliability

That's it.

Today's market is primarily driven by network integration and ubiquitous computing (smart phones).

Sony and Microsoft have an innate advantage in this, being that they're tech companies first, with videogames being simply a department -- developing network infrastructure to support shit like PSN and Xbox Live is trivial for them, but not so much nintendo.

Secondly, nintendo's ace in the hole -- the gameboy and DS lines -- is completely blown out by apple and android.

In all of this, there is literally no economic point in buying a nintendo device outside of brand loyalty or franchise fandom.
>>
>>3124017
only internet autist losers like you are "jaded with nintendo", real humans don't care about viddy games that much. sorry about that.
>>
>>3124032
Normal people as in people that didn't stick with nintendo. I know for you AC is a rehash but that rehash has a new setting characters and plot in every new game unlike Mario whose highpoint of story telling is Paper Mario which even then is just kidnapped princess of course with the usual cast. And I didn't even play any AC besides the second one.
>>
You guys not even pretending to be discussing retro anymore.
>>
>>3124050
I remember when joot first made this board and it wasn't infected by /v/ faggots freaking out over the slightest thing. It used to actually be pretty civilized in here. Not even a "shut up" to be found.
>>
>>3124004
They've gradually rolled out shit over a year and the player base has evolved along with it. Maps got increasingly complex over time so I thought it was a good idea keeping things simple to begin with letting people master the basics before going hog wild.
>>
How is this /vr/ related at all
>>
>>3123572
Yeah, but Dreamcast was on market just 3 years (98-01), Wii U has 4.

This would mean that Wii U has sold literally worse than the Dreamcast.
>>
>>3124192
Which is a shame considering it's got better games that also won't be ported elsewhere anytime soon.
>>
nintendo is doom
>>
>>3123567

Literally none of that is okay.

There is no double standard, so drop the victim complex.

Unless we're talking about journalists. The doublestandard is there. As an ex journalist, I think it's because Nintendo is light on the bribes and doesn't often give review copies
>>
NOT RETRO!

Sorry people but the rules are the rules. Take this shit to /v/.
>>
>>3123517
Why didn't they just make the whole thing out of the plastic that doesn't yellow with age? Or, failing that, none of it. At least it'd be consistent.
>>
>>3125097
A lot of things are obvious in hindsight.
>>
>>3124010
>Splatoon is one of the best selling games this gen and it has the second most active online community on WiiU second only to Smash Bros.

What a joke.
>>
>>3124179
>>3125091
Talking about Nintendo through the years and what it's become now is a discussion of a brand. Go fuck yourself instead of stifling discussion.
>>
>>3124192
Yeah, and the Dreamcast faced the PS2. The best selling console in history. Nintendo just had one of the best selling consoles in history and now it's at Dreamcast levels.

Nintendo is just fucking all over the place.
>>
>>3123974
>>3124001
I really think that they should make the NX into a smartphone, either running something akin to the 3DS operating system or fork a BSD and make a better proprietary kernel. With the BSD license what it is, they could do that and compete against the Android/Apple game market, and they've been pretty good about making their consoles work on underpowered hardware with experience coding for Arm processors. They could have the normal phone with 3DS controls or something and then sell a peripheral that attaches and makes it into a clamshell device. Then in the mobile market, they can compete against whatever shitty puzzle games and other stuff that they pull out with a proper handheld, then they can rake in more dirty VC money reselling the same shit.

That's my opinion, it's probably a stupid idea for a number of reasons.
>>
>>3123517
>doesn't do so well
The N64 and Gamecube seemed to perform better by the standards of the market at the time, at least. The Wiiu seems like a full on flop.
>>3123549
we all know who does what nintendont
>>3123576
It doesn't even have multiplats, though.
Consoles sell on exclusives and Nintendo exclusively has no multiplats
>>
>>3123517
Nintendos fans grew up and only fanboys still use their new consoles. I have not owned a nintendo console since the gamecube which i picked up at a flee market.
>>
>>3125402
And the only game the gamecube is useful for is eternal darkness.
>>
nice, now I can shitpost about pootendo and pii U on /vr/ as well. I just need 6th gen on here and this board will be perfect
>>
>>3125405

shit opinion alert
>>
Nintendo isn't doomed if the NX fails, but they will probably be in trouble. They have enough money to keep shitting around for at least a few more console generations, but no one likes decades of complete failure, let alone a japanese company where honor is worth just as much as cash.

Nintendo has completely alienated all its fanbases, they are doing a great job of bringing the core gaming community but are failing to adapt to the times. A lot of the people that bought the older consoles have moved on from gaming or a lot have moved to other platforms. If it plans to fully embrace the core gaming audience, it needs to adapt to the times.

Besides marketing, the Wii-U hasn't had any killer games of its core franchises. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of good games on the Wii-U, but there is no major system sellers. There is Mario Maker and 3d world, but those don't have the appeal of your major mario and Zelda only has remakes and Hyrule warriors. There are no games that a person will buy a whole console to play.

The Wii-u hasn't been a complete failure, I consider the gamepad to be the best gaming innovation in a long time. Its the definitive way to plays inventory heavy games like Zelda and RPG's, this is a trend that doesn't need to die, even if its sold separately and optional, it will be sad to see it go.
>>
They're all fucking doomed.
The PS4 and bone are nothing more than hilariously gimped windows PCs. The WiiU has boring titles and stupid shit hardware.

Console gaming is a dead thing these days, owing to the fact that consoles tried to hard to be PCs and copy the Steam model, rather than sticking true to their arcade roots.
You can't try and out-PC the PC and expect to win. PCs are too adaptive and too powerful for $300 hotboxes to be able to compete in that market.

Can't tell where the industry is gonna go from here, but thankfully I don't care, since there's enough retro goodness to last me a lifetime, and I like things hard and simplistic and unpretentious.
Dog bless emulator coders.
>>
>>3125402
>flee market
You should've ran, Dumbshit
>>
>>3125302
Come on son, your mother and I know you can do better than that.
>>
sage for not retro

>>3125494
Normally I'd say something like "normies aren't smart enough to build their own PC" but there are plenty of companies out there that are more than willing to take a shmucks money to custom build one. I've also heard tale of places like Best Buy selling not terrible gaming PCs. And as hardware continues to advance, perhaps one day you won't need much at all to game.

I mean, I agree. From my point of view, at least, there doesn't seem to be a point in even owning a console anymore. Exclusives, but that's it.

But I like many others here have stopped caring about consoles a long time ago. IMO the Gamecube was Nintendo's last decent console, and none of the consoles this gen are worth bothering with.

Being completely honest, though, I've become disenchanted with PC gaming as well. I mean, don't get me wrong, great games are released every now and again(Undertale, as overrated as it is, is a great game, don't try to deny it). But for the most part, good, modern PC games are a very rare thing. And half the time you do find a good game, it's Steam-only, or plagued with microtransactions, or requires Xinput when you only need to use two buttons on a controller, or terribly optimized for the PC, some other stupid thing.

I recently played a game called Rabi-Ribi. It's Steam only unless you live in nihon, which I don't, so that was strike one. Well, I reconnected my debit card to my steam account and grudgingly redownloaded Steam to play it, since it looked like a truly great game. I then found out that it required an Xinput controller even though it was an extremely simplistic game that easily could've functioned on most any directinput controller, so that was strike two. I pulled out my terrible knockoff usb Xinput controller with it's awful Dpad and began to play, and I had a pretty decent time... until I ran into performance issues(and various glitches). That's unacceptable, for a fucking pixel-art game. Three strikes, and I was done.
>>
>>3125572
I've all but given up modern games.
My most used system from from the last 8 years has been my 3DS. I actually am starting to find old 8 and 16 bit sprite-based games to be more visually appealing than modern SHADERZZZ bullshit. Something about those old visuals and the synthed bleeps/bloops/farts that says I AM A VIDEOGAME NOT A PRETENTIOUS INTERACTIVE MOVIE that's appealing.
>>
>>3123750
>You forget the handhelds. The DS sold better than classic game boy. The 3ds not so much and smartphones probably will prevent another successful portable device.

The Password is "shovelware". Every third game made for the DS was some horrible piece of shovelware game based on some tv show or movie.
>>
>>3125675
Looking at the DS ROMset it's probably half shovelware.

Wii is easily 3/4 shovelware.

Smartphones and tablets (normie devices) are 96% shovelware.
>>
>>3125494

Consoles are not going anywhere, building your own computer is not within the reach of most people, the best they got is prebuilt.

Then there is maintenance issue, most normal fags can't maintain a computer. Most have evolved from having a million toolbars, but they don't put much stock into anti-virus or keeping the pc properly updated.

MAC is basically the console of PC's and it has a huge undying fanbase.
>>
>>3123579
Now this is shitposting.
>>
It does seem that Nintendo markedly dialed down the difficulties of their games after the NES era. Aside from Zelda, all the main series got a lot easier after the move to the SNES.
>>
>>3125793
>Aside from Zelda

Huh? LttP is a lot easier than 1 and 2.
>>
>>3125572
>That's unacceptable, for a fucking pixel-art game
Those pixel-"art" games use latest Unity engine.
>>
>>3125306
This discussion belongs on /v/, though.
>>
With a 4 core CortexA72 & a PowerVR GT8900 with 8GB of ram they will be fine.

The SCD units will make it catch up with the PS4K anyway.
>>
Every casual I know and their kids are still into nintendo products including myself. Deal with it neckbeards.
>>
>>3123517
You're forgetting they still basically rule the handheld market and the 3DS is VERY popular. The Wii U is doing fair as well for what it is.
>>
>>3125704
>MAC is basically the console of PC's and it has a huge undying fanbase.

MAC? Media Access Control? >>3125704
>MAC is basically the console of PC's and it has a huge undying fanbase.

MAC? Media Access Control?
>>
>>3126342
Word.
3DS genuinely has some great games, plus you get everything for free.
>>
>>3126578
Awwww. What a cute little tism.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.