[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
just bought a broken sega saturn for 25, /vr/, doesn't read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8
File: s-l1600 (10).jpg (220 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (10).jpg
220 KB, 1600x900
just bought a broken sega saturn for 25, /vr/, doesn't read discs. how bad'd i fuck up?

i'm comfortable with opening and maintaining systems, btw.
>>
Buy a replacement laser, install. Problem likely solved.
>>
>>3122418
probably not too bad, open it up, clean it out, try and figure out the problem. saturns are pretty brickhouse-y if you get what i mean, so the problem will probably be a simple one
>>
>>3122495
>>3122493
yeah, i've heard the lasers on these things are pretty sturdy in comparison to things like the dreamcast. it's fairly dusty so i'm gonna probably open it up, clean it all out and reseat any ribbon cables attached to the disc drive for good measure.
>>
>>3122418
>>3122493
Clean the laser. 9/10 times that's the problem.
Not that simple and you need to cannibalize another console.>>3122551
>>
>>3122564
You don't have to cannibalize anything, the miracle of cheap Chinese electronics.
>>
File: s-l1600 (11).jpg (260 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (11).jpg
260 KB, 1600x900
>>3122564
definitely the first step. this thing's disgusting, can't wait to get it into my possession just to clean the goddamn thing up. pic related. spoilered for gore.

>>3122572
thank god for the chinese. i bought a ps2 modchip to play my ps1 imports for 2 bucks, shipped. couldn't do that in 2005. got a case, buttons, a glass screen, new membranes, and a flashcard for my gba for around 45, total, too.
>>
>>3122572
Those chink clone lasers are hit and miss at best man.
>>
>>3122584
some of the better ones i've seen around ebay are around 25 with solid reviews, so i'd still be better off going through one of them than buying a working saturn desu.
>>
>>3122592
It's still very hit and miss. Not like these are direct clones. They're copied to work.
>>
>>3122584
>>3122605
>The song of guys who paid 10x+ for "OEM" and probably still a chinese clone
>>
>>3122643
I get there's a lot of retards that liek chink shit on here. It's still chink shit.

Also OEM lasers were never sold.
>>
>>3122418
You fucked up by buying a model 2, first of all.
>>
>>3122923

If it's one of the earlier models it's fine.
>>
>>3122923
Fuc. I bought a model 2 this Easter.

Why is model 2 bad?
>>
>>3122923
>>3122930
What's wrong with the model 2?
>>
>>3122962
>>3122958
known for not being as brick house-y, but they do have a better psupply
>>
>>3122958
>>3122962
>buying Model 2s

Saturn Model 2 was made way later in the life of the Saturn when Sega was essentially aware the Saturn was dead or going to be discontinued after that. They were made with far cheaper parts and made more quickly.

The Model 1 has better video output, and it may not be overly noticeable, but it is quite clear if you test it with a monitor that checks output.

It was originally a very expensive system to manufacture in 95-96. The system wasn't competitive at the price point they had during the first revision, so they slashed the price BIG time, and you can imagine what that price cut involved. The Model 2 was created to help reduce costs of manufacture.

Aside from cosmetic differences, like less vents on the Model 2, no CD Access light, and the different button sizes, there are some that believe the model 2 has a cheaper laser assembly and cheaper internals in general. Sega was bleeding money during the Model 2's run, and although there's not big functional differences, used Model 2 Saturn's come up as damaged, junked, and having issues a lot more often. Some say that's just because the Model 2 is a little more common, but I don't believe that personally. I've been a Saturn collector for 15 years and I have six Model 1s, all working great, and 4 Model 2s, with only one left working. The Model 2s saw a ton of use over the years at lan parties, friends houses, etc, while the Model 1s saw a little less use, but regardless.
>>
>>3123001
this is an 80000A and not an 80001 if that makes a massive difference.
>>
>>3123007
It's still got a lot of case differences. Aside from rumored internals, the case of Model 1 just looks fancier. It's more of a power house/brick that doesn't seem to fail, and goes through anything. One guy found one in a dumpster, cleaned it, and it was fine.
>>
>>3122418
>i don't live where i can get a modded master race saturn for $5
>how bad'd i fuck up
None. Your parents chose where to live.
>>
>>3123014
>wanting a modded system
Just emulate.
>>
>>3123019
>saturn
>anything close to good emulation
nice meme
>>
>>3123014
where the fuck do you live, brazil? shit is crazy expensive around here, although we do have a local used game store that has some decent priced games for the thing.
>>
>>3122923
>>3122930
>>3122958
>>3122962
>>3122998
>>3123007
>>3123008
Fyi only PALshit Model 2 are bad.

If anything the model 2s for real consoles not the 3rd world ones are better since they're far easier to work on.

Picture quality is the same. At least for RGB and SVideo. If there's differences in composite quality I don't know.
>>
>>3123001
>>3123034
Also to add the only reason you see more Model 2 damaged is they sold far more.
>>
>>3123034
sega's stuff is pretty easy to work on in my experience anyway, cracked open my dreamcasts to swap out the cases (less yellowed one runs cds, other one didn't but looked like shit) and had absolutely zero problems. Super easy to repair from the looks of it too.
>>
>>3123045
Model 1s have smd caps and are bitch to fit through hole caps on with shielding being so low.
>>
>>3123001
This post is complete horse shit.

The whole model 1/2 distinction only makes a difference for the outer casing. The internals followed a COMPLETELY different path. I have like 3 model 1s and 3 model 2s here that all use the exact same motherboard even.

Model 2s only changed the outer case at first (this was in 1996 Q1), because the model 1s were annoying as fuck to assemble. The only components they cheaped out on was the power led and the memory reset switch on the back.

And if you've opened up all 3 major board revisions, you'd immediately see how later boards were cheaper. Not because they used crap components, but because they finally came up with a design that housed everything on 1 board, without CD drive sub-boards, LED and Reset switch sub-boards, controller sub-boards, shitloads of cables and ribbons connecting those, three different voltages on the power supply, etc.

I have a shelf full of dead model 1s but none of my model 2s have any problem beyond needing to be recapped.
>>
>>3123007
>this is an 80000A and not an 80001 if that makes a massive difference.

80000A was the number written on the console, 80001 was the number written on the BOX of the console that had a 80000A inside.

>>3123034
>Fyi only PALshit Model 2 are bad.

No they aren't. A third of them use model 1 motherboards, the rest have a jittery picture because the caps are giving out. In extreme cases the units might randomly reboot, this is again because the caps are dead in them.

Which is completely normal for 20 year old units.
>>
>>3123049
>Model 1s have smd caps and are bitch to fit through hole caps on with shielding being so low.

Only the launch units and their first revision used SMD caps, and the launch unit was stupidly annoying to assemble in the first place.
>>
>>3123054
>No they aren't. A third of them use model 1 motherboards, the rest have a jittery picture because the caps are giving out.

The PAL Saturns are physically different from the NTSC ones.

>>3123059
All Model 1s have them. NTSC U
>>
>>3123050
not that guy, but do you notice anything bad when using S-Video on an LCD TV with a model 2? mine has angled bars running across. I managed to somewhat reduce the effect by switching to a shielded power cord, but it's still somewhat noticeable. Might just be dying caps, for all I know.
>>
>>3123040
>Also to add the only reason you see more Model 2 damaged is they sold far more.

This.

Model 1s were made from late 94 to end of 95. Saturn was launched in mid 95 with maybe a dozen units for all of North America.

By the time they actually got production running (early 96) they were already only producing model 2s.

Model 1s were only common in Japan where they sold like 2 million of them from late 94 to late 95.
>>
>>3123065
>All Model 1s have them. NTSC U

No, only the launch model and the first revision had them. VA2/3 boards had THT caps and were sold in USA and PAL model 1s.
They are just not common in USA models, that is all.

>The PAL Saturns are physically different from the NTSC ones.

None of those differences which actually make them any worse. They had extra jumpers to make it easier to convert them from NTSC to PAL, used the old PLL until 1997, and they put a 9V line into the a/v out so RGB Scart works out of the box. Their most complex difference was that they had to use different PSUs that still had 9V (for the Scart compatibility) even when NTSC units had 5V-only power supplies.

>>3123067
>mine has angled bars running across. I managed to somewhat reduce the effect by switching to a shielded power cord, but it's still somewhat noticeable. Might just be dying caps, for all I know.

This is the only single problem that model 2s have, and even these are limited to a few motherboards. VA6-9 units have this problem, and recapping will reduce it.
>>
>>3123081
figured as much
>>
>>3122418
>buying a Saturn in 2016

Don't get me wrong it's an amazing console but so many of the good games cost way too damn much and are just going higher and higher. Even the Japanese versions are shooting up in price now that everyone caught onto the fact they don't have to pay nearly three times as much for them.
>>
>>3123110
Just buy a $30 Action Replay and flash it with the bootloader, you can play CDRs after that.
>>
>>3123050
>The whole model 1/2 distinction only makes a difference for the outer casing. The internals followed a COMPLETELY different path. I have like 3 model 1s and 3 model 2s here that all use the exact same motherboard even.

>>3123081
>This is the only single problem that model 2s have, and even these are limited to a few motherboards. VA6-9 units have this problem, and recapping will reduce it.

You are literally full of shit.
Way to demonstrate pot calling the kettle black.
>>
Model 2s are a piece of shit.
Looks like Model 1 poster rustled Model 2s jimmies and he started spasming out his nonsense.

First post:
>NO DIFFERENCES, NO PROBLEMS!
Second post:
>DIFFERENCES, PROBLEMS!
>>
File: VA2_SG_F_01S.jpg (946 KB, 2001x2000) Image search: [Google]
VA2_SG_F_01S.jpg
946 KB, 2001x2000
>>3123136
>>3123138
Here's a model 1 motherboard
>>
File: VA4_F_01_S.jpg (749 KB, 1971x2000) Image search: [Google]
VA4_F_01_S.jpg
749 KB, 1971x2000
>>3123156
and here is a model 2 motherboard.

Please go and point out exactly which parts there are cheaper and of less quality.
>>
>>3123136
>>3123138
I;m not that anon. I own multiple model 1s and 2s. RGB and Svideo there is no difference.

Dumb ass google parrotors.
>>
>>3123132
planning on doing this, same as with my dreamcast desu. i'll probably pick up the cheaper ones when i can though regardless.
>>
>>3123138
There are four different model 1s and twelve different model 2s. Of which as much as 4 boards are identical between both models.

And for the record, all model 1s that use TOP PWM chips on the power supply are ticking time bombs. Those things overheat and make the entire unit unusable (if you get image rollover, very loud coil whine, and games not booting, you have a bad PWM on the power supply).

The only reason people have less problem with model 1s is because they bought it for $400 and did not play it for half a year because only a lame port of Virtua Fighter was available for it for MONTHS.
>>
>>3123158
>surface-mounted through-hole resistor

Is that stock?
>>
>>3123156
>>3123158
No wonder Sega went broke, holy shit at all of those chips.

The N64 was more powerful and it had like only 3 on its board.
>>
>>3123158
Literally all of them.
>>
File: Difference.png (540 KB, 1260x328) Image search: [Google]
Difference.png
540 KB, 1260x328
>>3123156
>>3123158
>Please go and point out exactly which parts there are cheaper and of less quality.
>>
>>3123281
>>>/pol/
>>>/jp/
>>
>>3123294

I wouldn't discount it that quickly. The Japanese-made machines used Rubycon capacitors.
>>
>>3123019
>Just emulate
Global rule 2 violation

>>3123024
>shit is crazy expensive around here
Apparently. You paid $25 for a busted one. I get those free fresh from the dumpster here. Maybe a modded one with a couple controllers and an AR would go for $25 at a reseller here.
Obviously your parents chose where to live for some stupid reason like work and not because of cheap vidya.
>>
>>3123014
>>3123421
So you're a beaner bragging about being in a shithole?
>>
>>3123156
>Rubycon caps
>>3123158
>generic taiwanese caps
>probably capxons given their preference for stamping into the metal tops of bottom-vented caps and compromising the can

I haven't scrutinized the ICs or other passives yet but that alone stands out as a bad sign.
>>
>>3123156
>>3123158
>>3123190
Hey retard.

You can keep spouting this nonsense off, but Model 1 is superior and has been known to be superior. I don't know about this "ticking time bomb shit" but I know of multiple people online who have had a Saturn model 1 and model 2 running through intensive tests and the Model 2 fails to perform like the Model 1, period.

I dunno what the "TOP PWM" chip shit is, or why that makes them a ticking time bomb, but those picture examples have several differences.

This is like "just because YOU can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there." You're so blind about Model 2 because you probably bought a Model 2 or some shit and didn't find out until later they cut costs with Model 2. You'll lie and pretend they made it more efficient somehow but Sega was anything other than efficient with the Saturn.

I can't believe I'm spending my time doing this for someone who is blind, but you may want to google this stuff in the future before outright embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>3123158
>look at both images
>more than a dozen chips have totally different designations
>the Model 2 somehow cut costs but still used the same chip configuration
>Not realizing the chips are cheaper and shittier
Are you blind or can you really just not see a lot of those chips are vastly different
>>
>>3123528
Glancing over it again, I missed a few more chips. Almost every single chip is different. Some vastly different.
>>
>>3123163
I'm sorry, are you calling me a google parroter? Because I see clear differences upscaled to 1080p with s-video and RGB.
>>
>>3123545
No difference on my XRGB scalers. XRGB-3 being my primary.

Retro RGB and SEGA16 confirm.
>>3123492
The caps were actually Marcon. Which is an old Japanese company that has since been bought out. By Rubycon I believe.
The SMD caps are Panasonic. Through hole ones are too I believe.
>>3123528
>>3123534
>>3123538
>I'm underage and or retarded
>>
>>3123454
If you knew the slightest bit about the system you'd know they didn't sell master race saturns in beanerland. Projecting?
>>
>>3123574
It's not America and it's not Japan.

Maybe in Asia region 6?
>>
>>3122418
Buy a Saturn Rhea SD card reader.
>>
>>3123584
>I read about this cool thing on the internet guis!
>>
Have saturns gone up in price? Why not just buy a working one and save yourself the hassle
>>
>>3123608
Still the $40-$80

They'll probably go up but very slowly like all consoles. Go up and down.
>>
>>3123564
>>I'm underage and or retarded

The only retarded person is the guy asking for differences when every single chip is different.
>>
>>3123608
They're probably not going to go up. Too niche for the DUDE NINTENDO people and the games aren't memorable.

Sega consoles remain cheap, because all the kiddies and retro faggots just cum over Zelda and Mario and Nintendo.
>>
>>3123564
Not him but am I missing something here?
A guy claimed model 2 was cheaper and used different parts
A guy responded saying there was no difference in the boards
Two people immediately noticed differences, and one guy responded by showing that like every single chip is different, and probably cheaper. You don't just drop 100 dollars and sell the same machine.
>>
>>3123625
People are talking about image quality differences. Also reliability and quality..
>>
>>3123627
Yeah, it's literally physically impossible for S-Video image to look identical to RGB image. They are different signals. So your TV or scaler is fucked up or your blind.

Model 2 is not as reliable as Model 1. Quality is far lower on Model 2's.

Just because some guy is saying "Oh Model 1's didn't fail as much because not as many sold" is rhetoric.
>>
>>3123631
Is English not your first language?
>>
>>3123634
I'm super confused right now, so maybe it's not. I saw someone try to pass off two totally different chipsets on a Saturn motherboard as identical earlier, and now people are talking about RGB and reliability.
>>
>>3123636
Read the post chain. This isn't reddit.
>>
>>3123564

Can't be Marcon caps. The label printing peeking up the sides doesn't jive and they didn't stamp their cans.

Or you're referring to the Model 1, in which case I have no idea what you're on about because those look like Nichicons.
>>
>>3123582
>they didn't sell master race saturns in japan
If you're going to troll you have to make it a little bit believable.
>>
>>3123813
You're talking it up as cheap. Which Saturn stuff isn't really.
>>
>>3123641
>This isn't reddit

SHEEEET
>>
I have a US model 2 since 1997 and it still works great, never had a problem with it.
I've read some model 2 units have issues with the video, but I haven't noticed anything wrong on mine.

Aesthetically, I prefer the model 1 (specifically the japanese grey one with blue buttons, that thing is sexy), but I'm glad I got the model 2 back then because of the controller.
>>
>>3123528
Well you just proved that you know fuck all about what drives cost when it comes to ICs, or how to even check if they are different or not. Because according to you, the timestamp on an IC makes it a completely different chip.

>I dunno what the "TOP PWM" chip shit is, or why that makes them a ticking time bomb

It is used as a voltage regulator on the power supply. When it goes bad, the machine does not get proper voltage and starts exhibiting massive issues that can result in permanent damage.

Which is kind of vastly more important than whether a machine uses Hyundai or Fujitsu made DRAM.

All model 1s suffer from that, and so do early model 2s which used those power supplies.

>>3123492
Saturns were made by a dozen different OEMs. Not all of them used the same caps. According to the service manual, Model 1s could use either NEC, Panasonic, Nichicon, Nippon Chemicon, or Towa caps.
>>
>>3122581
>ps2 modchip
link for this anon?
>>
>>3123528
>I know of multiple people online who have had a Saturn model 1 and model 2 running through intensive tests and the Model 2 fails to perform like the Model 1, period.

I'd very much like to see these test results. The only comparison I've ever seen online had only placebo difference (contrast was 1% lower on the model 2...).
>>
>>3123923
look up ps2 chip on ebay then sort by lowest price. modbo 5.0 or 4.0, depends what you want.
>>
>>3124536
>buying modchips on ebay

Both ebay and paypal have an explicit ban on modchips, if you buy that stuff on ebay they can disable your account and you'd have zero legal arguments against it since you went against their terms of service.
>>
>>3123054
>No they aren't. A third of them use model 1 motherboards

How can I tell if mine does?
>>
>>3123023
damn sight better than that broken-ass ps1 emulation i keep running into

muh mednafen
muh retroarch
oh wait wtf happened to the audio
I MEAN i-it's a beta t-they'll fix it
>>
>>3123893
you know what's up
>>
Is there a difference in audio quality between model 1 and 2 Saturns like there is between the different PS1 revisions?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (1 MB, 1649x800) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
1 MB, 1649x800
>>3123528
You have no idea what those chip IDs mean.

Only the RAM and TTL chips are actually different, and only in that they were made by different companies. Which means nothing as long as they perform to spec. I could pop off a matching type and size memory chip off a 3dfx voodoo, solder it onto the Saturn, and they would work (as long as I use the same type of memory, the pinouts match, and their timings are equal or better - all of which you can look up in their manuals).
Same for the TTL chips, except that those are even more standardized.

All the other differences you listed are strictly timestamps, except for one, which is a later revision of the exact same chip.

>>3123281
Only that subboard says "made in china", and that thing only has a handful of discrete components and two connectors, no actual logic.
And it doesn't matter where it was made as long as the manufacturers did a good job. Seeing as Sega worked with some Chinese OEMs from the 80s up till the Dreamcast, I doubt this should be a problem for a component so simple.

And the components themselves may not be Chinese. Hell, maybe only the PCB is Chinese and all other components and their assembly was done elsewhere. There is no way to tell.

>>3123223
>Is that stock?

No, it's a mod. That board had the access led re-added.
>>
I hate you OP, I've been looking for a sega saturn for ages and can't find anything that isn't 80+ dollars for just the console fucking ebay and reseller scum.
>>
>>3124671
>Is there a difference in audio quality between model 1 and 2 Saturns like there is between the different PS1 revisions?

There is only 1 quality related difference between different Saturns, that is the video having random lines in them as the CD drive loads. This only affects some boards (units made from 1996 July to December), and it is caused by the caps aging.

I can see why people here would be so anal about model 2s being worse quality, since nearly no new Saturns were made for North America after 1996. But production stayed strong in Japan for 2 more years.
>>
>>3124554
they barely care anymore, there's tons of that shit up on there.
>>
>>3124726
It is still against their TOS, and paypal actively suspends people who sell modchips.

Basically you can do it but it's not worth losing your account over.
>>
>>3123828
Cheap is a relative term. Paying $5 for a console and $1-2 for most games is cheap unless you're a colossal poorfag. I'm not and that's what I pay so for me it's cheap. For a kid who spends a months allowance on a busted console it's expensive.
>>
>>3124697
got this on ebay, lol. there were a few others in the 30 range in similar condition. just gotta make an offer.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.