[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /retropie/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_1242.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1242.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Who /retropie/ here?
>>
I would, but my bluetooth controller has terrible latency with my raspberry pi 2 and it tends to "stack" commands for seconds at a time and then release them all at once. For the record the controller is a steelseries free which had latency issues with my laptop too. Does anyone know of bluetooth controllers that work with no latency on a raspberry pi?
Nice console setup btw OP, it looks very polished, kickstarter when?
>>
File: Rii.jpg (98 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Rii.jpg
98 KB, 500x500
>>3120146
oh wow, that sucks. I use pic related for my controller, it's just a keyboard made for the Pi. It works fine with most games, can be godawful for some PlayStation games and other ones with complicated control schemes though

As for my setup I plan on mass producing and selling them for 100 bucks a pop
still better than the ouya
>>
>>3120160
wtf what buttons do you use?
>>
>>3120169
W A S D for dpad
J I L , (comma) as buttons for playstation (this is doable for games like Spyro)
JKL for genesis
etc

I'm not gonna lie it can be pretty shitty but it's not as bad as you think. I have a 360 controller and adapter but have no idea how I'd set that up on retropie
>>
>>3120182
I was imagining you were holding it upside down with your thumb on the arrow keys and cntl/alt as A and B or something.
>>
File: IMG_20160406_215450.jpg (411 KB, 1600x912) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160406_215450.jpg
411 KB, 1600x912
>>
>>3120189
That might not be a bad idea actually. The arrow keys are all anchored together like a dpad and it spaces my hands apart more. I might have to try that anon
>>
>>3120203
>all those games

aww yeah son. did it automatically read your gamepad?
>>
>>3120212
Yes, just input the controls when prompted.
>>
The Pi struggles with many consoles and it's a massive pain to set up. Just get a cheap tablet with video out.
>>
>>3120248
>retropie
>a massive pain to set up
>>
Here

Won a Pi 3 at a hackathon a few weeks ago and finally set up Retropie, I'm pretty impressed by the performance. I work on-call IT in a lab so I have it set up in my office steathly and play it whenever I'm not doing shit (always)

I'm really impressed by the PS1 emulation, and SNES .. well the last thing I emulates the snes on was a PSP so yeah it was looking pretty damn good..

I use a Sega Saturn controller because I let this board ruin my life
>>
Set mine up over a year ago with a Pi 1 B+. Thinking of upgrading but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Are there noticeable performance gains with the Pi 3? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I'm not looking to play PS1/N64 stuff but I found Sega CD Snatcher was hanging in the middle of scenes, totally unplayable. Whether or not that's the fault of the hardware I don't know.
>>
>>3120331
Yeah even my shitty A Pi (my brother gave me one for Christmas and cheaped out lol) runs PS1 games really nice.
>>
>>3120160
I have the weird-shaped handheld version of that (Rii). It's very handy for debugging, and testing controls on my iPAC arcade setup.

Loving the Pi 3. Seeing Dreamcast games and PSP, and N64 games on there work pretty well is very nice to see.

The only thing that annoys me about RetroPie is that reicast has no default keyboard support and no-one has ever uploaded a build thats iPAC friendly.
If I knew more about compiling shit I'd recompile it for support myself. The documentation on HOW is out there, (I've found it before), but all I know about linux is basic commands like launching shells, navigating filesystems, editing scripts to launch other apps in the background.
>>
>>3120382
Pi 3 is much faster than a Pi 1.
Hell, at this point, a Pi Zero has slightly better performance than a Pi 1 and it's a fraction of it's size.

Pi 3 is a 1.2ghz 64 bit quad core vs a Pi 1 700mhz 32bit single core.
That's a huge difference.
>>
>>3120402
just googled yours and fuck that looks nice man, kicking myself now for not getting that one originally

also I'm curious, what's your control mapping for n64 games like?
>>
>>3120437
It's very light and plastic/rubbery, but it does the job and is surprisingly responsive. (Makes a good media remote for a windows PC too)

I kind of cheat on mappings. I use a custom keyboard layout I had to manually reprogram my iPAC 2 for. (And trust me, dragging an arcade machine to the other side of your house to plug it into the PS/2 port of your PC, mine doesn't have a USB cable it's that old, is an experience I wouldn't want to do twice.)
I use the P1 start button and macro'd a bunch of keyboard keys. As much as I could get on the keyboard.

So by holding P1 button, I can use other sticks/c-sticks/D-pad if necessary (I think one could, in theory, program/create a switchboard to do this, but it requires something outside of my expertise).

But since it has built-in bluetooth, I usually use a PS3 controller for N64 and Dreamcast games. (For the sake of my sanity. Though DC wouldn't be that bad, since you could ignore the D-pad for the most part, since most DC fighting games you can play on FBA/use the stick for anyway, but by default you can't use keyboard controls with reicast. For some odd fucking reason because you can on the Windows build)
>>
>>3120408
I'm not sure just looking at the numbers like that is all that useful though. Unless I'm mistaken most emulators only use one core anyway so the quad core makes no difference probably the same for the bit size.
>>
File: P_20160406_164521_1.jpg (687 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
P_20160406_164521_1.jpg
687 KB, 2048x1536
Don't feel like quoting people on mobile but the pi 2 and 3 are significantly faster than the 1. The 3 is basically an out of the box overclock of the 2, with added heat as well. I bought a case that came with heat sinks and that solved the problem.

The 3 is worth it for immediate SFTP for adding games without having to find a compatible USB Wi-Fi adapter.

2 may be better for performance with a heatsink + fan case for extreme overclocking since the 3's overclocking is extremely problematic atm (look it up if you're curious). Until the 64bit raspbian comes out the 3 isn't the optimal solution for Dreamcast/N64. Everything else is perfect on a lightly overclocked 2 / stock 3 anyways.

I personally do a lot of PS1 emulation and it's perfect. Retropie's configurations for aspect ratio are a little janky though, so it can be a pain if you do the settings out of order.

Also wired 360 controller works automatically, except you have to do some modifications of the drivers for the center 360 leds. They flash constantly with the default drivers with no player indication functionality.
>>
I do and I have been putting the most arcade games on it lately. Such a pain in the ass though trying out like 4 different mame or FBA emulators because some of them just refuse to run certain games. I know you have to have matching roms but some emulators just refuse to play games that would normally run in that version of mame. FBA refuses to run anything from IREM properly
>>
>>3120160
what's a good keyboard with track pad for pi?
>>
>>3120203
what controller is this?
>>
>>3120887
this is the exact Rii I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-mini-X1/dp/B00I5SW8MC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

It's solid, has an idiot-proof setup and good battery life. The touchpad isn't super convenient but solidly functional so I'd never rely on the touchpad for a game or anything that requires speed, but besides that I'm happy with it.

There very well could be better alternatives, I just don't know them
>>
>>3120967
for $18, looks solid.
>>
>>3120142
I was using lr-snes and getting sound issues but I switched over to pocketsnes and got way better sound.

Anyone else notice this? I wish I knew this after I just beat FFVI...
>>
>>3121013
Yeah, I was pretty damn happy when I found it.
>>
>>3120142
you're a kamel red smoker eh? not bad
>>
>>3121053
Good eye. Good taste, too, apparently
>>
>>3120891
not him, but maybe this?

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Nintendo-Famicom-Controller-Gamepad/dp/B00XJ7C4GO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1460008175&sr=8-4&keywords=snes+pc+controller
>>
I haven't messed with a Pi or retropie yet, but I've been thinking about putting together a basic tabletop arcade cabinet for a while now.

But I have to admit, seeing the ingenuity of people like this makes me really wish I had this kind of skill
https://youtu.be/aMhTMgDHGaM
>>
>>3121672
Yeah man, shit like that's the dream. I don't think it would take that long to figure out though, I mean maybe a few weeks to get it all down but it would definitely be possible
>>
>>3121672
This is way too good, I could never play a thing like that.
>>
I personally prefer Recalbox, because I had lots if issues mapping my different controllers with Retropi.

Lakka is pretty good too, right?
>>
File: 1439531098426.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1439531098426.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Heres my retro pie
I cant get PS1 games to show up at all on the selection screen and its making me sad
but eveything else it plays fine except for some snes games
>>
>>3123726
I should mention its a pi 2
would i be able to use the same sd card on the 3?
>>
>>3120142
Do these output RGB analog signals at 15.7 KHz?
>>
It's a great role for my pi2, although:
>Some games do not run
Possibly bad dumps as was rumored.
>Xbone controller with 3.5mm causes pi to kernel panic
And to this day it's still unknown how to solve this unless you do time-travel and quantum mechanics.

But having done a whole run of FF7 on one still feels satisfying.
>>
File: IMG_20160211_211308.jpg (96 KB, 907x680) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_211308.jpg
96 KB, 907x680
Using my Pi 2 to play the usual old Nintendo/SEGA/PS1 stuff, but the SCUMM support is great too. Playing old adventure games on the weekends curled up on my couch is fantastic. I really wanted to get some arcade games running too but setting up MAME and FBA has proved too difficult for my peabrain. It's too bad, I'd love to play some OutRun on it...

How's the power boost on the Pi 3? Saw some talk of Dreamcast support earlier in the thread? How well does it run, is anything actually playable? Do N64 games run any better on the 3?
>>
>>3123726
Did you add a bios file? Also which folder in \roms are you using? Also overclock / change emulators for different snes support. On my 3 I've yet to find a snes game that doesn't run perfect (except for shit like Gradius 3 which lagged on the original console anyways.)

>>3123729
It should work out of the box with the 3 using the same card, but you might have to terminal the upgrade and update commands to get Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support.

>>3123734
Only HDMI and composite. Composite support is 480i only. I'm sure you could rig something together using the gert 666 VGA adapter as a starting point. Haven't heard of anyone doing it though.

>>3124112
I've yet to try n64 because I own one with all the games I would ever play. Dreamcast I've heard is fine with some games and not fine on others. Requires a lot of configuring to get it playable, but it is playable apparently.
>>
When will it get WiFi Direct implemented? Can't game on bluetooth.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.