[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So uh....what is the purpose of coins in Mario games? In Sonic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: annoyed_emoji_face_stamp_large.png (3 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
annoyed_emoji_face_stamp_large.png
3 KB, 250x250
So uh....what is the purpose of coins in Mario games? In Sonic rings prevent you from dying, what the hell do coins do?
>>
when you get 100 you get an extra life.
Have you even played games?
>>
They only serve a purpose in the NES versions of SMB1 and SMB2J since extra lives are hard to come by. They do the same thing in every game after it but they throw lives at you constantly so you never run out.
>>
What purpose does collecting rings serve in Sonic? You're just as safe with 1 ring as you are with 50.
>>
>>3120131
This. You really gotta squeeze every penny if you want to survive SMB2j.
>>
>>3120141
if I remember correctly if you have enough at the end of the leve you get a bonus stage?
>>
>>3120141
Yea, its not much different than collecting several mushrooms in Mario games when you already have one
>>
>>3120157

Yeah. And on top of that, it's easier to salvage your rings when you get hit if you have lots of them.
>>
>>3120141
If you have 50 rings and reach the end of the stage in the 1st Sonic game you get to go to the special zone to collect one of six chaos emeralds. If you didn't collect all six chaos emeralds when you beat the game you don't get the "good ending". Meaning you did not truly beat the game.
>>
>>3120126
They increase your score.
>>
File: ttmreds.webm (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ttmreds.webm
2 MB, 480x360
>>3120126
If you collect 8 of the red ones (or 100 of the yellow ones), you get a star!
>>
>>3120235
>>3120128

This.

Damn OP, I know you are baiting, for come on.
>>
>>3120241
Bullshit.
>>
>>3120141
they also add to your score, and you get an extra life for every 50k points
>>
>>3120336
World Sonic 1 has a bug preventing it from awarding live through score, though. It was fixed in the Japanese revision.
>>
>>3120261
>i can't wrap my brain around people being good at video games
>>
>>3120519
>implying you even know what being good at a videogame is

That's the real bullshit here.
>>
>>3120580
lol what?
>>
>>3120519
>I can't wrap my brain around people being perfect at jumping around in a 3d projection on a 2d screen making it inherently inaccurate with a fucking floppyass imprecise controller and a shitty camera wobbling around every goddamn where
Mario 64 is shit. Goddamn it, kids. Can we please understand this shit and move forward into a new gaming era that wasn't corrupted by the late 90s bullshit pseudo-game laziness by devs wanting to cater to non-gamers?
>>
>>3120696
you have literally no idea what you're saying
>>
>>3120707
>been a gamer since the pong days
>have played every sort of game for fucking forever and knows his goddamn shit
>some upstart little dumb kid comes along with rose tinted glasses that played Mario 64 at 3 years old
>"U R DUM"
Kids, please close your mouths and just listen to me.
>>
File: elevator lifts.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
elevator lifts.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>3120712
>>
>>3120717
Tool-assisted, naive little worm.
>>
>>3120723
>Tool-assisted, naive little worm.
Imagine being so delusional you deny the existence of SM64 speedrunning.
>>
>>3120723
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziJY9mdSOPg

hey look, a controller cam

www.marioruns.com

hey look, leaderboards with hundreds of runs and runners
>>
>>3120726
The only way you can be "good" at Mario 64 is the same way you can be "good" at Dragon's Lair.

You make precise movements at certain points and the game will guarantee a certain configuration. So it's basically ALL about memorization.

Look, I can beat the shit out of Atari 2600 E.T., too. Does that make the game good?

LOL NO.

Again, children: mouths->shut. Ears->to me.
>>
>>3120729
And no, all games aren't about memorization.

GOOD games are about reaction to known situations and knowing what to expect from controls ahead of time. SM64 has none of this, it's all about memorizing existing situations.
>>
>>3120729
>You make precise movements at certain points and the game will guarantee a certain configuration. So it's basically ALL about memorization.
lol yeah man, it's just that easy. you should try it.
>>
>>3120712
>GOOD games are about reaction to known situations and knowing what to expect from controls ahead of time.
From your logic, examples being?
>>
File: mario64sucks.png (113 KB, 630x296) Image search: [Google]
mario64sucks.png
113 KB, 630x296
>>3120735
So you're admitting SM64 is a fucking crazyass version of Dragon's Lair?

Thanks, I'll stick to games where I have to rely on skill and adapting to upcoming situations given known, sane control reactions rather than memorizing which random direction the camera spins at X point in a run.

>>3120737
Um, EVERY MARIO GAME BEFORE 64?!?! MAYBE?

Jesus, children. You sure are sensitive about your fucking first game ever. Please just let go and admit it's garbage.
>>
File: bd4jb.jpg (28 KB, 620x456) Image search: [Google]
bd4jb.jpg
28 KB, 620x456
>>3120741
>hold right and jump when prompted
>hard
>>
>>3120729
i wont listen to you fuckign piece of shit, try harder next time.
>>
>>3120729
>You make precise movements at certain points and the game will guarantee a certain configuration. So it's basically ALL about memorization.
yeah, so like a racing game. speedrunning is a genuinely skilled form of gaming, and SM64 is one of the most technical speedgames there is.

you're trying to argue that rote learning and muscle memory isn't how literally every precision based physical skill is improved upon, which is obviously total nonsense. ask a musician about his daily practice routine.
>>
>>3120131
>They do the same thing in every game after it

except in SMB2usa, the very NEXT game after it, where they do something completely different
>>
>>3120741
>Mario is apparently incapable of walking in a straight line (no, really--try it).

What kind of casual bullshit is this?
>>
>>3120790
People who whine about SM64's controls and camera are typically just laughably incompetent at the game.
>>
>>3120729
>So it's basically ALL about memorization.
lol you feloniously stupid assclown. give me a random set of tasks to do in the game and i'll have it done an hour before you make it halfway. no memorization involved.
>>
>>3120126
Earlier Mario Games: 100 gave you a lfe and added to your score (back when that mattered) - SMB, SMB2J, SMB3
Later Mario Games: Guide you in the intended but not mandatory direction, imply secrets, reward secrets, turn what would be leaps of faith into realised paths, rewards for finding secrets, collecting as many as possible is the point (Wario series, NSMB2)
>>
>>3120165
>Meaning you did not truly beat the game
so much wrong with this statement
>>
>>3120723

Nothing in that webm is beyond what an ordinary person can do with a little practice.

Alternatively you could somersault up to the closer red platform and wallkick off the side of it but I think that would be a little slower than the path taken in the webm.
>>
>>3120126
yet another shitty thread on /vr/
only on /vr/ you can get this type of shitposting for just a collector's price of $1K! yeah i know it's a collectors item and it's worth a whole lot less but who cares I need money to pay my rent so pay now!!!!!
fuck off OP
>>
>>3120732
>GOOD games are about reaction to known situations and knowing what to expect from controls ahead of time. SM64 has none of this
>SM64 has none of this
You're retarded, aren't you?
>>
>>3120141
50 rings gets you to the special stage. 100 rings gives you an extra life.
>>
>>3120741
every game is a crazyass version of dragon's lair because you need to press buttons to not die

therefore everything is shit
>>
>>3120772
>SMB2usa
>a Mario game
>>
>>3121857
There's always the eternal option to set the controller down and do nothing.
>>
>>3121870
it is a mario game. it wasn't one originally, but then it became one. many of the characters and enemies introduced in that game are still part of the mario franchise today.
>>
>>3120723
Literally git gud
>>
>>3120815
I'm the first to shit on the N64 stick for it's ergononics and durability problems, but one cannot take away from it that it is a VERY precise stick which is easy to use.
Faggot must have cerebral palsy or have a broken stick.

>>3121870
Yes.

>>3121878
It was concieved as a very Mario like game, then retooled and upgraded to Super Mario 2, and it's way better known and fondly remembered in Japan as Super Mario USA, I doubt many nips remember the whole Dream Factory thing.
>>
>>3120126
when you use save states the rings are just as useless so i find that just as annoying and useless. another object of useless i'd like to add to the list is the bananas in konkey kong
>>
>>3122106
>it's way better known and fondly remembered in Japan as Super Mario USA, I doubt many nips remember the whole Dream Factory thing.

Lol, you mean 5 years after it originally released? And a whole two years after SMW? Come the fuck on.
>>
>>3120712
I cringed reading that
>>
>>3120717
>I don't know the difference between skill floor and skill ceiling.

I don't agree with the guy who thinks that SM64 is super casual bullshit, but I would like to point out that just because somebody with good skills can do crazy bullshit doesn't mean it's required.
>>
>>3122362
>just because somebody with good skills can do crazy bullshit doesn't mean it's required.
I guess it's a good thing nobody here claimed that it was required then.
>>
>>3122178
Yes, SM USA is regarded as a classic, DDP is forgotten.

Remember that it was ported to other systems.
>>
>>3120153
It's a shame that the resource management aspect of coins was never put to use like this since.

I just collect coins because they're there - not for any survival reasons. And if they're too far out of reach I don't even bother with them.
>>
>>3120696
By that logic all 3D games are shit. When I first encountered jumping in an FPS (Turok I believe) I thought it was dumb, for similar reasons to yours (but in FPSs you can't see your body or feet so there's probably more justification for hating it than with a third person game), but I got used to it.
>>
>>3122464
Nice source.
>>
>>3120696

egoraptor please go
>>
>>3122106
>I'm the first to shit on the N64 stick for it's ergononics and durability problems, but one cannot take away from it that it is a VERY precise stick which is easy to use.
It definitely has its flaws (wears out very quickly, plastic grip with little friction) but calling it imprecise is very naive. The angles and range on it are near perfect, imo. I honestly hate the forced deadzone bullshit on modern consoles.
>>
>>3122637
A rubber cap on top and a spot of mechanical grease in the works and it radically improves.

Personally, I think modern analogs are alright.
>>
I guess nobody learned anything from the last time we had one of these troll threads
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.