[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you owned a Sega CD growing up >tfw apparently not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: Sega-CD-Model2-Set.jpg (1 MB, 4240x2440) Image search: [Google]
Sega-CD-Model2-Set.jpg
1 MB, 4240x2440
>tfw you owned a Sega CD growing up
>tfw apparently not a lot of people owned one

So /vr/ how many of you owned a Sega-CD?
>>
I couldn't afford one even though I desperately wanted one and then seeing it sort of fizzle with minimal releases gave me a weird feeling of being kind of glad I "missed out" then seeing 32x, CDi, 3DO and Jaguar after it was the closest I ever came to thinking I had just outgrown video games.

Then Playstation made me believe again.
>>
>>3119471
Yeah it didnt have that many games but there were some good ones. And besides back then CD Players were expensive as fuck so I used my Sega CD as a CD Player.
>>
>>3119462
I got a paper rout just so I could buy a Sega CD. No regrets at all.
>>
>>3119485
>>3119486
I got one in like '97 when I was working at the used game store
>>
I wanted one, but it was too expensive. I wanted to play Sonic CD, but other than that I don't know if I would have found good games to play back then. Maybe if I got a hold of Final Fight CD, but I'm sure many of the good games would have been hard to find even back then, and expensive too.
I just kept buying regular Genesis, SNES, Game boy and Game Gear games, I think having spent on a Sega CD as a kid would have been a mistake.

Bought one as an adult though and enjoyed various games.
>>
I had a Mega CD.
>>
>That first week trying to convince yourself Sewer Shark was fun.
>>
was really into the SMS and megadrive around ~92-93 and a mega cd was not even on my radar. Ausfag here.
>>
Weren't SegaCD's likely to break? I remember a friend had one and we were gonna play Lunar and it just stopped working.

I've thought about getting one now, but I'm on the fence.
>>
>>3119567
Just model 1s.
>>
>>3119462

I had those fuckhuge Pioneer laser disc unit in my home, with that mega drive slot.

I had one LD game too, a space rail shooter that was actually pretty fun, although I have no idea if that was just an oversized sega cd game or an exclusive.
>>
>>3119462
>tfw you were 23 when the Sega CD came out
>tfw apparently not a lot of people here have grown up that much
Never owned one. Have a bunch of Mega CD units though.
>>
>>3119462

My cousin had one, I used to watch him play Sonic CD and Hook all the time. I thought it was the coolest shit ever. Pick up one of my own only about five years ago or so.
>>
I owned one back in '93.. Got it for my birthday and was excited about getting it. It seemed "cutting edge" for the time with the FMV stuff. I'm sure I was disappointed, but it was a nifty relic for the time and has some really good games. I have some good memories playing them.

For some reason I had one of those awful "Make My Video" games and I played those a bunch for some reason. Not even sure how I entertained myself with that shit heap.
>>
got one second hand from a friend who got it for his birthday along with a Kriss Kross music video "game" that sucked ass even when it released. he was a "rich kid" so his parents were getting him a 3DO when it came out, so he sold it to me for $50. the only real games i got for it were sonic cd and ecco, but i mostly used it to play music cds, since stand alone cd players were still expensive as fuck.

i lost it when my older brother lent my sega to one of his negro friends. i'm still sour bout that shit today.
>>
File: 1455428983211.jpg (41 KB, 447x425) Image search: [Google]
1455428983211.jpg
41 KB, 447x425
>>3119462
Had model 2 CD way back when, then my Genesis restart button broke the same day so I couldn't open the drive without closing the connection on the board with a piece of wire which meant I had to dremel a hole in the case because I couldn't open the case properly...good times
>>
A friend had one, used to play Megadrive at his all the time but rarely the MegaCD. he mostly used it as a CD player.
>>
>>3119585
>My parents were obscenely wealthy
>>
>>3119554
It's a shame Sega tried to push it as an FMV machine, it really could have had a much better library (though there was quite a few good REAL games on it too)
>>
>>3119567
I think on the old ones, the belt on the tray could snap, so there was no way to get it to open.
They later changed it to the side top-loader, which was MUCH more reliable.
>>
I was born after the Mega Drive was released and even though I grew up with a Mega Drive, a Master System and a SNES, I had no one to talk to about those consoles because other people my age grew up with N64s. It sucked.
I didn't even know there were any add-ons for the Genny until years later. I'd love to own a Mega-CD one day but they're quite expensive these days. Especially the model 1 Mega CDs, but apparently those were never even sold in stores where I live and they went straight for the model 2.
>>
>>3121673

Not at all actually, although I have no idea how expensive that shit was.
>>
>>3121802
The model 2 is way better anyway.
Also it can't be THAT expensive, like what, 200usd maybe?
>>
I have a CDX. I used it everyday. People don't understand that stereos were $299 back in the day. I hooked it up to a good pair of speakers and it was awesome. I also really liked light gun games, so that was great.

The Sega CD had plenty of awesome games:
Sonic CD
Dragon's Lair
Final Fight CD
Shining Force CD
Lunar I and II
Eternal Champions
Mortal Kombat (best version at the time)
Earthworm Jim CD
Night Trap
Ecco the Dolphin
Ground Zero Texas
Tomcat Alley
Mad Dog Mcree
Lethal Enforcers I and II
Crime Patrol
Secret of Monkey Island
Samurai Shodown
and the entire genesis library
>>
>>3119485
Hell, there were some great ones.

Sega games were at their best when their console was going to shit.
>>
My brother in law had one at the time and now I've inherited it. Wing Commander was the shit.
>>
>>3119462
Not back in the day, didn't get one until around '04 when I got into collecting.
I don't think I knew anyone who had one back in the day at school.
In fact I don't think I even played on one before I got mine.
>>
>>3122467
>People don't understand that stereos were $299 back in the day.

And also that $300 back then is like $1200 today.
>>
File: 1450305688462.png (2 MB, 1600x1232) Image search: [Google]
1450305688462.png
2 MB, 1600x1232
My dad bought me a Sega CD for Christmas '97 from Toys R Us when they were clearancing them out for ~$50 or so. It was bundled with Sewer Shark and Sonic CD. Sewer Shark I can't ever remember playing, but Sonic CD was obviously pretty great (although of course not as good as the international version with the hella good OST)

The only other game I had, because we just couldn't find anything for it at the time, was some sort of psuedo-Starfox like shmup that was almost like Galaga in a tilted perspective that had FMX backgrounds. I can't remember the name of it, though.

We used it as our CD player in the house, though, because my older brother DJ'd on the side and when he'd come over to visit we'd use it to listen to mixes he'd made. I had it until 2006 when I left home to go to college. When I came back I found out my dad, who by then had pretty bad Alzheimer's, had accidentally thrown it out with our old CRT while I was gone.
>>
>>3122467
>Night Trap
>Ground Zero Texas
>Mad Dog Mcree
Never saw why people were so fond of these, the Sega CD was terrible at FMV, and most FMV games were hot garbage.

But yeah, the other ones are gr8 m8
>>
I had one as a kid. Unfortunately, fixing nowhere carried games for it in my area. Only ever had sewer shark, Ecco, and Wire head. Couldn't even get Sonic CD!
>>
>>3122909
>The only other game I had, because we just couldn't find anything for it at the time, was some sort of psuedo-Starfox like shmup that was almost like Galaga in a tilted perspective that had FMX backgrounds. I can't remember the name of it, though.
Slipheed
>>
>>3122950
If you still have it, the thing will read burned CDs without issue, buy a stack of burnable discs and download some .rom images
>>
>>3121673
>>3122056
It was substantially cheaper than a personal computer. I had one of those, and I wouldn't say my family was "obscenely wealthy". Well off, but certainly not millionaires.
>>
>>3123078
One of "those" being a PC, not a Laseractive.
>>
>>3123080
Yeah and I bet your parents had a car too and probably a house. What does that have to do with Anon's parents having not one but two Laseractives (at $1400-$2300 a pop) purely for entertainment purposes?
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (85 KB, 393x281) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
85 KB, 393x281
>>3122971
>.rom images
>>
>>3123246
Because a PC was an entertainment device too?
>>
>>3123359
If you use a bluray you could probably fit all the games on it =D
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.