[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Polybius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (180 KB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180 KB, 2576x1932
Is Polybius real?
>>
Yes.

But none of the folklore around it is.
>>
>>3116673
Yes and I also think it is possible it was used as testing platform for something but not to the extent that legends exaggerate.
>>
>>3116741
>>3116762
I thought the polybius game floating around was inspired by the legend.

Are you telling me that it was an actual arcade cabinet?
>>
>>3116773
It was just a weather baloon, those guys are lying for attention, you didn't see anything.
>>
>>3116673

No

it was never real

The first documented reference to the game was in 1998.
>>
that's bullshit, they never went to the moon
>>
>>3116741
It's really the other way around. There were no "Polybius" games, screenshots, cabinets, etc prior to the urban legend taking off in 1998. However:

>We do know that at least two people fell sick from playing arcade games in Portland, Oregon in 1981. The Eugene Register newspaper reported on November 29, 1981 that 12-year-old Brian Mauro played Asteroids for more than 28 hours, trying to break the record, as local television crews watched. He finally bowed out with stomach discomfort, attributed to anxiety and all the Coke he drank. Researcher Catherine DeSpira, writing in a 2012 edition of online vintage gaming publication Retrocade, discovered that a Michael Lopez developed a migraine headache while playing Tempest on the same day and in the same arcade where Brian Mauro was going for his record. Lopez was reported to the police when he collapsed in pain on someone's lawn.

>Not only that, but there were, in fact, government agents poking around Portland area video arcades at that very same time. Just ten days after Mauro and Lopez crashed, state, local, and federal agents raided video arcades throughout the region. It turned out that some arcade operators illegally used their video games for gambling, by modifying them with counters that allowed owners to pay out cash to players based on how many points they made in their game, and thus increasing business. In preparation for this raid, FBI agents had been going around to arcades and taking photographs of player initials on high-score screens, hoping to identify potential witnesses. And officers had gone into every business in the city that had video games, and poked and prodded around the back of the machine, looking for these illegal counters.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4362
>>
It was just swamp gas.
>>
>>3117080
You can see the first footprint left on the moon by Lance Armstrong with a large enough stethoscope fucktard.
>>
It's just ice crystals formed by the condensation of exhaust gasses from Defender cabinets in the upper atmosphere
>>
>>3119698
>stethoscope
>calling anyone else a fucktard
>>
>>3119719
Oh my god how can you fall for this? Are we getting complete newfags that just come directly to /vr/ from wherever they heard about 4chan from? What ever happened to lurking moar and starting with /b/?
>>
File: 1308712-tempest[1].jpg (63 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1308712-tempest[1].jpg
63 KB, 600x800
Join me Anon in 1981, Anaheim.
>Walk into the dim little arcade on your block
>New vector game in a deep shadowbox cab
>It's a release candidate of the game we know today as Tempest
>Begins as normal
>Instead of rotating the ship, the spinner rotates the GRID around the stationary ship
>Grid extends up and completely outside the FOV
>Illusion is of falling down a hole desperately twirling to avoid bugs
>Get hit
>This prototype cab has strobes that flashbulb in your face
>Decide to drop back in at 2am Friday to check it out after hooking up with that good disco acid
Yeah, Polybius ain't got shit on that

The 2001 game Balistics actually gives a comparable experience to this in its novel arcade cabinet format but it hasn't killed anyone to my knowledge
>>
>>3119737

Oh my god, are you serious? Do you think he ACTUALLY fell for it? You've been japed, my friend. Maybe you'd be more comfortable talking about games over on tumbler.
>>
>>3119789
lolsometa
>>
>>3119737
>starting with /b/?
Why do /b/itches act like their sorry excuse for a board is a rite of initiation? It's been consistently terrible for a decade, there's a reason all the other boards look down on you and wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire.
>>
>>3119769
Pretty sure Otto has killed more people.
>>
>>3119059
Never knew that, cool.
>>
>>3121734
Sometimes Berzerk on Vectrex gives me palpitations. I wonder why there's no Tempest, not even homebrew.
>>
>>3119789
>He fell for the Tumblr is full of cartoon evil feminists meme
>>
>>3119737
>Taking the bait this hard

Oh the irony!
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.