[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is emulating SMW have so much input lag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: smw-rgb.jpg (3 MB, 2800x2100) Image search: [Google]
smw-rgb.jpg
3 MB, 2800x2100
Even on the virtual console this game has noticeable input lag, anyone know why?
>>
>>3116290
asthedevsintended.jpg
>>
>>3116290
virtual console = emulator

You will experience additional lag if playing on a LCD display.
>>
>>3116296
no im playing on a PVM, this game is definitely known to have more input delay when compared to other SNES games
>>
Back in my day we called it "lag"
>>
>>3116310
>known to

... and here comes placebo effect
>>
File: arrest him.jpg (41 KB, 340x460) Image search: [Google]
arrest him.jpg
41 KB, 340x460
>>3116310

>going through the trouble of getting a PVM but still emulating
>>
>>3116290
Wireless controllers, emulation.
>>
>>3116679
>>3116915

It's not a placebo effect or controller lag, it's a widespread issue accros all SNES emulators that I know of.

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13240

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66085635
>>
>>3117030
both of the threads you linked have responses saying it's either a placebo effect or separate issue
the gamefaqs one, as expected, devolves into a shitstorm, but there is still fact that wireless controllers tend to have slight issues with input lag - unrelated to emulation itself
>>
>>3117042

You've tried emulating SMW you feel no difference compared to other SNES games?

Also I'm using a wired controller on every instance of emulation, including Wii (GCN controller)
>>
>>3116697

Hey dude, Wii w/ component = every SNES game in perfect RGB for FREE. No importing cables from the UK or hunting down games.
>>
File: 1366229371275.gif (775 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1366229371275.gif
775 KB, 500x281
>>3117057
>importing cables from the UK
>>
It always surprises me how bad SNES emulators are.
>B-but muh cycle accuracy
Sorry kid, no.
>>
Has someone compared the input delay of SMW with other snes games?
Has someone compared the input delay of different emulators?

I compared the WiiU to the SNES by filming a button mash at 120fps.
You might say that's an invalid test, but I don't think it's entirely invalid if the difference in lag is big enough. The WiiU took 4 entire frames (2 frames in 60fps, but 4 in 120, which is what the video is in) longer than the SNES to jump Mario.

Is it straight up impossible for an emulator to have the same lag as an SNES?
>>
I've played SMW and million SMW hacks on emulator(on pc, psp, wii, 3ds, even on real hardware although thats not emulator) and there is zero input lag.
>>
Funnily enough, I didn't notice much if any input lag on the VC version of SMW, and that was on a CRT HDTV at 480p, compared to the real thing on my SD CRT. I did notice some input lag on PC emulators, though. Running it through RetroArch with GPU Hard Sync enabled and set to 0 frames diminished it greatly, but it's still not perfect. The only way I ever got it to compete with real hardware is by running the same setup, but on Linux in KMS mode (i.e. outside Xorg). Only then did I feel like I was playing on real hardware.
>>
>>3117057
>perfect RGB
ya know, aside from the input lag and emulation glitches.
>>
>>3117408
Like I said, placebo effect based on what you are expecting from what you think is now the "perfect" hardware for you.

>>3117127
Lag of several hundred ms might be noticeable but definitively not one or two frame of addtional latency. Latencies sum up though... and it becomes lag for people but the major cause is not the one or two frames buffering of software emulation but hardware latency + OS latency + driver latency.
>>
>>3117413

Do people not know how good the Wii is at emulating?
>>
>>3118512
>Do people not know how good the Wii is at emulating?
Wii emulators are terrible.
>>
Fuck. I have this problem too. I thought it was just me.

I get it on snes9x 1.53. It's ONLY SMW. No other game on the emulator (that I've played, at least) or anything else for that matter has such huge input lag. It's weird.
>>
>>3117374
No, he's definitely right. SMW has input lag. Very few games seem to have that problem but SMW. Yeah it's pretty bad.
>>
>>3117057
You can get rgb from component cables? Here I thought I'd have to hunt down a scart cable.
>>
>>3116290
>m-muh input lag
go shill your overpriced carts somewhere else scum resellers
>>
File: 1440884563414.png (152 KB, 359x414) Image search: [Google]
1440884563414.png
152 KB, 359x414
>play SMW on SNES and CRT television
>play SMW on PC with bluetooth controller and LCD display
>no perceptible lag

When will this meme end
>>
>>3118947
just because you're too shit to notice it doesn't mean it's not there
>>
>>3118961
Great argument. The sky is green. If you don't agree, your eyes are shit.
>>
>>3118973
Where do I buy eye upgrades?
>>
>he thinks input lag is real
I wish this meme would end
>>
>>3119034
We get it. You have the reflexes of a potato. You can stop bragging about it.
>>
>>3119041
Git gud, if I can beat Super Metroid on a shitty emulator in the early 2000s using a clunky old mechanical keyboard, without having issues with input lag, then you should have no issues doing it on a better emulator, with an actual controller.
>>
>>3119443
That's not what he's saying retard.It exists regardless how good it is, but you have to be terrible to not notice it.
>>
>>3117076
haha, hey cool :)

i like anime too
>>
>>3119443
>a clunky old mechanical keyboard
Somehow I doubt you were using a mechanical keyboard, anon.
>>
File: 1372166866174.png (213 KB, 274x476) Image search: [Google]
1372166866174.png
213 KB, 274x476
>>3119597
wow we should go out sometime ;)
>>
just get a snes and a crt and get it over with.
emulators are for poorfags
>>
>>3119658
but certainly not PAL like in pic related, that shit is fucking garbage.
>>
>>3119590
>It exists
Lol no it doesnt

>spooky ghost story emulator input lag ooooooo!
You're all retarded
>>
>>3119659
>PAL
That's NTSC-J. But you're not wrong, and a japanese console is even harder to play american games on than vice-versa. Only thing wrong with the NTSC-U console is that it's uglier imo
>>
I get no noticeable lag from higan on my IPS displays.

Maybe you guys need to brush up on your settings and use a proper emulator. And a proper system. Do better than AMD or an i3.
>>
>>3119659
>PAL
>Super Famicom
Can't wait to see what your excuse for being a fucking retard is.
>>
>>3119683
>a japanese console is even harder to play american games on

Why not? cant just remove the plastic tabs?
>>
>>3119664
>Lol no it doesnt
That's a convincing argument against the fact that it does. Unless you're just not a native english speaker and have a different word for when you hit a button and it takes multiple frames to react.
>>
Just played some SMW in Snes9X.

I didn't notice anything.
>>
>>3120004
Congratulations.
That doesn't actually validate that it doesn't happen. If you're not retarded you'll understand why because it's basic fucking logic.
But yeah there's also this tinyurl com h45u3s6

PC versions of Snes9X can also do it.
>>
>>3116679
>... and here comes placebo effect

This. I play shit on my plasma tv with no bullshit converters, just console -> official rgb scart cable -> TV, and I get 0 input lag.

Emulators are probably different but they all suck anyway. Play the original hardware.
>>
>>3120032
>just console -> official rgb scart cable -> TV, and I get 0 input lag.

Yeah, nah. Even 7th gen consoles at the TV's native resolution give way less input lag on CRTs.
>>
>>3119983
Lmao you paranoid little man. Thanks for the laugh.

I wish you luck on your lifelong quest to fix lag that you imagine.

Haha
>>
>>3120053
>2016
>being functionally retarded and bragging about it on the internet
Go away.
>>
>>3120046
>Yeah, nah. Even 7th gen consoles at the TV's native resolution give way less input lag on CRTs.

I'm sorry, let me correct that. I get 0 perceptible input lag. All games play fine and I cannot notice any input lag, and I mostly play shmups and fighting games.

If you are super autistic you might measure 1.1273847 millisecond of lag but during actual gameplay none of that can be picked up..
>>
>>3120078
OP was talking about input lag on an emulator. Read the fucking thread.

Do you think upwards of 83-117ms delay from hitting a button is "autistic"? Because that's the kind of shit we're talking about. Go fucking play an FPS and disable client side prediction with 100ms lag to a server and tell us how autistic you have to be to hate playing th at. If you got CS it's something like cl_predict 0.
>>
>>3119638
Whatever you call those old piece of shit clunkers that have "thick" presses and gather insane amounts of dust, it was some machine with Windows 98.

Since I used the word wrong, what is a mechanical keyboard, and how bizarre would it be to emulare with?
>>
>>3120096
>OP was talking about input lag on an emulator
OP should be glad to know it doesn't exist and he's imagining it.
>>
>>3120125
OP should be glad to know you've decided to uphold the mantle of biggest fag in the thread.
>>
>>3116290
>>3120096
>people who do not how to emulate try to do it in the worst possible way on one of the worst platforms
>surprised to get shit resuluts
the thread
>>
>>3119706
The curved slot means the American rectangular carts can't be used without hardware mods or devices with their own cartridge slots.
>>
>>3120078

>I get 0 perceptible input lag.

Even if you don't notice it, the game does. It artificially slows your reaction time down. You WILL fuck up more when not playing on a CRT because your inputs are objectively slower.
>>
>>3120545
Even if he doesn't notice it a different version with it might. It's not a CRT issue or a wireless remote issue or anything. Not all games have it.
Not everyone has the same exact build the emulator and the same setup. So he might very well not notice it because it may largely not exist on his which is absolutely 100% fucking irrelevant to the machines it does exist on.
One person not experiencing the same phenomenon with a different setup doesn't magically make the phenomenon not exist and if half the twats in here which is now quickly becoming /v2.0/ weren't fucking brain dead our level of discussion wouldn't evolve down to fucking eight year olds who have no concept of troubleshooting, software, or systems in general. It's fucking amazing half the kids here even found their way to this board at this point.
>>
>>3118947

I'm using a wired controller into the Wii with analog component into a PVM.

There's no factors for lag besides the emulator.
>>
>>3120069
Still no input lag
>>
>>3120018
No one cares..
>>
>>3121181

Are you trolling or just a retard from /v/?
>>
File: 1442057962696.jpg (20 KB, 337x342) Image search: [Google]
1442057962696.jpg
20 KB, 337x342
Why is it impossible to make an emulator that removes the slowdown that most SNES games suffered from?
>>
>>3117758
>Lag of several hundred ms might be noticeable but definitively not one or two frame of addtional latency.
anyone who plays fighting games or does speedruns will tell you that this is horse shit.
>>
>>3121330
because emulators attempt to emulate hardware. if they aren't accurate in doing so, they're bad emulators.
>>
>>3116290
Your eye-hand-coordination is shit.
/thread
>>
>>3121627
true story
>>
>>3121627
Good thing I don't.
>>
>>3117093
lol bsnes
>>
>>3117408
set GPU hard sync to 1 or 2, whichever suits your pc best.

Also, disable aero. Or use Linux.
>>
I get input lag on the virtual console version of Super Mario World too. It doesn't happen on my Super Famicom version. Granted the virtual console version is PAL (since I live in Europe) but that shouldn't mean more input lag. It doesn't matter that much anyway. The Super Famicom hooked up with an RGB cable looks nearly as good as a PC emulator.
>>
>>3116290
Are you using MS Windows as your OS?

Windows has issues with input lag. Always has, always will, and it is getting worse as computers get faster.

Really you need to use Linux on ARM for the best emulation experience.
>>
>>3121330
it is not impossible, not even remotely, but >>3121628 is exactly on the right track. Emulator devs care about replicating the behavior of the emulated hardware, as good as feasible, including all negatives. You never know, a program or two might actually rely on that behavior
>>
>>3121628
>if they aren't accurate in doing so, they're bad emulators.
And if an emulator can emulate accurately but can't run on most systems because it's too performance heavy or unreliable, it too is a bad emulator.
Good emulation is emulation you can use for the task at hand, period.
That changes depending on your needs. Between archival/accuracy or general usability.
Also the stability and usability of the program makes a difference as well, if your emulator is absolutely perfectly accurate at the backend if the frontend and everything around it half assed and buggy and prone to crashing then you've got a worse emulator than one with a perfect front end that doesn't emulate every single operation accurately but still runs almost everything perfectly if you're looking to actually use the thing.

Your statement is reductionist and naive.
>>
>>3124417
>And if an emulator can emulate accurately but can't run on most systems because it's too performance heavy or unreliable, it too is a bad emulator.
Part of accuracy is emulating the processing speed of the emulated machine. So, yes, a cycle perfect emulator running at a fraction of the speed of the real machine, is not a good emulator

>Between archival/accuracy or general usability
false dichotomy

>if your emulator is absolutely perfectly accurate at the backend if the frontend and everything around it half assed and buggy and prone to crashing
frontend is not part of the emulator

>Your statement is reductionist and naive.
your reading of it is narrow-minded and simplistic. Everything else in your post was just wrong conclusions drawn from it.
>>
>>3121918
GPU hard sync set to 0 is better for input lag than 1 or 2. And I did state Linux in KMS mode gives the best results.
>>
>>3120598
>Wii

Wii is shit for anything more complex than NES. His post explicitly said PC.
>>
>>3121970
>The Super Famicom hooked up with an RGB cable looks nearly as good as a PC emulator.
It looks better. PC emulators look fake and shitty (because they are.)
>>
>>3116290
Or maybe you have visual lag when playing virtual console.
>>
>>3124746
my laptop is allergic to hard sync. but when i turn on threaded video i get a lot of speed up
>>
>>3124861
oh no , it is mentally retarded :(
>>
>>3124673
Here's your response.
>>
>>3116290
there is none. yeah yeah muh two millisecond difference but you have to be dangerously autistic to notice it anyway. i guess git gud?
>>
File: 1457179884823.jpg (7 KB, 378x378) Image search: [Google]
1457179884823.jpg
7 KB, 378x378
>>3121978
>Windows has issues with input lag. Always has, always will
Yes
>and it is getting worse as computers get faster.
No, in fact it's getting better.
>Really you need to use Linux on ARM
WHAT. Why? What advantage does ARM have over x86 in terms of input delay when x86 is obviously fast, more energy efficient and has more/better instruction sets? And why linux when all graphic drivers on linux are shit, even more so the proprietary drivers for arm socs like fucking PowerVR (kill me now please). You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, do you?
>>
>tfw my laptop can't emulate SNES games without the sound skipping
I've tried bsnes, snes9x and zsnes. This is what Obamacare gets you.
>>
>>3118604
Try it on snes9x v.1.42
You're welcome.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.