[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What were they thinking when redesigning the Super Famicom into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg (538 KB, 2736x1420) Image search: [Google]
SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg
538 KB, 2736x1420
What were they thinking when redesigning the Super Famicom into this boxy piece of shit?

>muh tasteless purple and grey color scheme
>boxy and looks like a home computer from the late 70s
>you have to awkwardly *slide* the reset button up and let it click back down
>eject button sunken strangely below and between the power and reset buttons
>cartridges are fuck huge for no reason, most of it is just empty space, also look like three ugly rectangles stuck together
>buttons on the controller aren't even differently colored

The original was perfect and then they went and fucked it up.
>>
>>3116270
Because Americans don't play toys, they entertain themselves.
Redesigning influenced a lot for American market.
>>
Better question, why did they make the Turbografx-16 twice as big as the PC-Engine?
>>
File: sfc19.jpg (213 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
sfc19.jpg
213 KB, 1024x683
I like both!
>>
File: Atari_XEGS.jpg (1 MB, 3500x2625) Image search: [Google]
Atari_XEGS.jpg
1 MB, 3500x2625
>>3116270
Two theories.

One is that they wanted to discourage Americans from putting soda cans on the system and then spilling them and damaging the system, which happened a lot with the original NES and looked like it could happen with the Famicom design. There's actually a Nintendo training video where a guy tries to return a NES he spilled his soda on and claims it came that way as a nod to how often this shit happened.

The second is that it looks a lot less "intimidating" and has more childish charm, its almost "pink," and looks like a play box or something.

The last theory, the one I have, is that Super Nintendo was designed to match the Atari XEGS boxy look with pastels and neutral tones.
>>
>>3116270
From what I've read, NoA had problems with NES repairs because burgers constantly placed softdrinks on the console, knocked them over and then sent the sticky mess in for repairs. To avoid a repition of that, Ninty needed to redesign the NA SNES so noone could possibly place some shit on top of it.
>>
>>3116325
>Nintendo
>giving a shit about Atari
Nigga, Atari didn't mean shit after the days of the 2600.
>>
>>3116342
I was being pretty stupid.

And Atari was relevant in the 90s. Sega was scared of them and actually rushed out the 32X and Saturn because of Atari.
>>
>>3116325
>>3116331
Is that spill shit serious?
>>
>>3116354
It's widely documented. Check this shit out, it's fucking hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0#t=30s

I assume the coloration of the Super Nintendo was just taken from the Game Boy.
>>
>>3116348
Oh, it's THIS guy again.

Atari was not relevant in the 90s. At all. The Jaguar was an utter failure in every market and sold like a quarter million units. It was a non-issue by the time the Saturn came out.

Sega was afraid of the PlayStation, not the Jaguar.
>>
>>3116363
>this guy
Just because I saw the thread a few days ago doesn't mean I'm that guy. I liked what he had to say and looked more into it.
>>
>>3116348
>Atari
>relevent in the 90s
>sega was scared of them

Do all the kids think this way?
>>
File: 9084537.png (89 KB, 191x240) Image search: [Google]
9084537.png
89 KB, 191x240
I cant even handle this thread, from what I can tell nintendo were afraid of amerifats putting cans of sodas on super nintendos, they could trust the rest of the world but theres actual living proof that amerifats think their console is just a large coaster
>>
>>3116405
>I cant even handle this freedom
>>
>>3116394
>Kids meme

Let me educate you, my son.

>According to former Sega of America producer Scot Bayless, Nakayama was worried that the Saturn would not be available until after 1994 and that the recently released Atari Jaguar would reduce Sega's hardware sales.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/14/sega-saturn-how-one-decision-destroyed-playstations-greatest-rival

But the order to go ahead with this curious hybrid came from Sega of Japan president Hayao Nakayama who – as incredible as it may seem today – was concerned not about the looming PlayStation, but about Atari’s Jaguar console. He wanted a quick stop-gap to rival the Atari system (which would go on to flop hopelessly) and the US team agreed. But this muddied the waters for the Saturn. The 32X was an expensive failure with little software support. And, although the Saturn was selling well in Japan, shifting almost 500,000 units in its first month, PlayStation was catching up.
>>
>>3116270
it looked cool to 14yo me when it was released
>>
>>3119075
That's probably the point. Perhaps they thought the Super Famicom design wouldn't attract the attention of the american audience and changed it, but then comes the question of why they kept it for europe.
: ^ |
>>
>>3119104
Maybe its the same sort of thing where the US release of games had angry looking characters on the front but everyone else got regular looking ones?
>>
>>3119131
Yeah. Same with all non-Japanese snes box art. During the snes era, Americans had to be bought with EDGINESS, not aesthetics.

The nes redesign is for different reasons though
>>
>>3119104
I'm an eurofag and got the SNES, none of my friends thought that it looked worse than the european version. This whole looks faggotry is just another collectorfag cancer.
>>
>>3116270
They were thinking "Americans won't buy anything unless it looks like a Buick"...
>>
File: bananacove.png (77 KB, 534x446) Image search: [Google]
bananacove.png
77 KB, 534x446
>>3116270
how did americans figure out the crystal cave banana bird simon puzzles in DKC3? Where they different in that version?
>>
It doesn't look as good as the euro/jp version but it's fine. There is nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>3119305

You can read the ABXY on the crystals
>>
>>3119314
oh yeah, still, it's slightly harder
>>
File: snes_protoetc_01.jpg (63 KB, 671x503) Image search: [Google]
snes_protoetc_01.jpg
63 KB, 671x503
>>
File: lance.jpg (85 KB, 798x397) Image search: [Google]
lance.jpg
85 KB, 798x397
>>3119337
>>
>>3119305
we can figure out basic puzzles?
>>3119314
not on a 13" jvc over composite you can't
>>
>>3119305

The SNES buttons are still in a diamond shape...
>>
>>3116363
>Sega was afraid of the PlayStation, not the Jaguar.

They were afraid of Nintendo AND Sony, to be precise. And to a lesser extend NEC, but that was back in the late 80s.

You have to remember that all of their hardware division was in Japan, designed by Japanese, according to specifications dictated by the Japanese CEOs. And they gave no shits about the Jaguar or the 3do, they probably barely even knew they existed.
>>
File: 1393902995428.png (165 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1393902995428.png
165 KB, 500x375
>>3119340
>we can figure out basic puzzles?

No, you can't.
>>
>>3120023
You're right, only americans ever got tripped up there
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 223x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 223x300
>>3116270
>>muh tasteless purple and grey color scheme
perhaps a touch of red would've helped
>>
>>3116270
I own the SFC and I prefer the look of the SNES
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.