[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Man square was pretty pissed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: image.png (884 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
884 KB, 1136x640
Man square was pretty pissed.
>>
Why were they pissed off? Are you retarded? Did you mean to type out Nintendo?
>>
>>3115807
That seems more like an ad Sony made using FF7 as an example of their hardware being superior than Square making an ad competing against such massive JRPG hits on the N64 as Quest 64.
>>
>Hey Nintendo, we have the storage capacity to slap in tons of pre-rendered FMV all over the damn place that makes it seem like our consoles graphics are that much better than yours ya stupids.

Did Sony EVER license the CD Rom format to Nintendo? Don't Gamecube discs spin backwards or some shit? lol. Nintendo.
>>
>>3115807
edgy marketing that's completely true is always good edgy marketing.
>>
>>3115807
> Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest both migrate to Playstation for the next decade

That had to be a blow.
>>
Console war TV ads thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYyztfOc-0

Also, was it always americans who did these aggro commercials? Are there any japanese commercials that shit on the competition? Seems more like an american thing, but who knows.

I guess Segata Sanshiro's last commercial, but they never specified who were the bad guys who launched the nuke (although it's pretty obviously Sony)
>>
>>3115807
>pissed

Taking the piss and being pissed off are two different things, OP.
>>
>Final Fantasy
>migrate to Playstation for the next decade
Was hardly a decade before the GBA games, Crystal Chronicles on GC, NDS crap came out. They were all better than FF8 too.
>>
>>3115807
Considering Nintendo legitimately screwed them over regarding cartridges back on the SNES, I thin, they were justified felling pissed.
>>
How much would FFVII weigh if you removed all the FMVs?
>>
>>3116232
Yeah, no. FF8 is a lot better than fuckin CC. Get out of here.
>>
>>3116232
>>3117420
Plus that's fuckin FF7 in the OP, so why bring up 8.
>>
>>3116232
>Was hardly a decade before the GBA games

Are you talking about the terrible FF ports they shat onto the GBA, or Tactics Advance and Chain of Memories which are even worse? Ohh or the superfluous and worse than the GB original Sword of Mana?
>>
One thing for sure though, the GBC remakes of Dragon Quest and the spinoffs like Monsters are way better than Dragon Quest VII.
The best dragon quest game PS1 got was Toriko, but the overall best DQ game during that time released was the remake of DQIII on GBC.
>>
>>3117436

I meant Torneko, by the way. Why did I say Toriko? I never even watched that series.
>>
>not realizing that cartridges are better than CD

Enjoy your load times and disc rot, retards.
>>
>>3116205
Is that a true claim that nights is the first real time 3d flying was done fluid and free?
>demon nights screaming sega
Good thing I didn't plan on sleeping any time soon.
>>
File: Msfs1.00_000.png (13 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Msfs1.00_000.png
13 KB, 640x400
>>3117442
>Is that a true claim that nights is the first real time 3d flying was done fluid and free?

lol not even close.
>>
>>3117456

>That HUD

I didn't know it was possible to get AIDS in the eye
>>
>>3117467
That's a terrible image, I don't know why I saved it. The HUD is awesome. That's the info and controls you need to fly a plane properly. It's a little embarrassing that a game from the early 80's (and essentially a port of a game from the 70's) has deeper, more complex controls than virtually any other flight games to date. (outside of other MFS versions)
>>
>>3117478
Maybe because it's called Flight Simulator?
Also, how do you play it or which versions you play? I looked at some first MFS or whatever they were called and I coudn't stay three frames per second.
>>
>>3117456
holy NTSC artifacts
>>
>>3117478
>>3117490

Don't play MFS.

Download X-Plane. Theres a commercial and home version, they use it to train real pilots.
>>
>>3117490
I haven't played it much since the 80's and couldn't say much about what versions are better or worse than others. But three FPS doesn't sound too far off from what I remember.

As for how you play it, it's usually just a directive to fly to a destination. So you set your course, take off, try not to crash and then land while also trying not to crash. Which is surprisingly difficult.

There were later versions with dog fighting, but I've only played those a little bit.
>>
>>3117478
>>3117442
That looks like the opposite of fluid and free.
>>
>>3117456
WTF is that? An embryonic version of MS ClearType?
>>
>>3117419
About three fifty
>>
>>3117540
>>3117442
>fluid and free
Could we possibly try to use words that represent real quantifiable quantities if we're going to introduce a topic for debate? Yes, Nights has one of the earliest "modern 3D" engines and it's a shame we didn't get to see any real game using it even if it wasn't a Sonic game (Nights is basically a tech demo)
>>
>>3115807
Wait, did they ACTUALLY went with a "suicide watch" joke? Advertising was hardcore back then, holy shit.
>>
File: 1337867436051.jpg (45 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
1337867436051.jpg
45 KB, 500x392
>>3120083
That's an execution joke, not a suicide one. But yes, advertising has changed a lot.
>>
>>3120083
A firing squad is an execution, not suicide. Square (and Sony) are saying they're going to figuratively murder them with FF7 (which as we all know was no empty claim.)
>>
>>3120092
that limp dick on the screen
>>
>>3117456
>microsoft flight simulator 1
>fluid
>>
>>3115807
They weren't pissed off, they were being smug as fuck. FF7 was about to annihilate every single N64 title before most of them had even launched.
>>
>>3117456
Church Yeager on the Apple ][ was so much better and earlier too.
>>
File: FFVIIboxart_1587.jpg (21 KB, 293x445) Image search: [Google]
FFVIIboxart_1587.jpg
21 KB, 293x445
Sonyggers on suicide watch, the Master Race wins again
>>
>>3116145
no final fantasy became good and hyper relevant through the playstation. idk about dq, it always was irrelevant.
>>
>>3116216
you don't know. may be anon meant that they were literally angry and thus made those ads you judgemental prick.
>>
>>3122126
Obvious facts are obvious.
>>
>>3122127

>a western marketing department
>angry

These ads weren't made by the actual executives of the company, the actual japanese people working on Square, Sony, Nintendo, Sega, would probably have never made these kind of ads, japanese people would probably find that shit too rude and awkward.

It was just the marketing department of Square USA or SCEA (maybe not even actual employees but an outsourced marketing department/creatives). Attacking the competition was a popular marketing convention back in the 90s in the US, probably popularized by Coca-Cola and Pepsi.
>>
>>3122115
That was a pretty iffy port if I recall
>>
>>3117456
Running at a buttery-smooth 4 FPS on a top-of-the-line 286.

>>3122115
Too bad it's a shitty port that's not that much better PS1 version (and even worse on some aspects like the music).
>>
>>3117419
I'd say... ... maybe 200-300MB.
>>
>>3115807
I've been looking back through old gaming magazines now, and the amount of vitriol against cartridges was pretty cringeworthy, because in retrospect, none of the things that CDs facilitated (FMVs, voice acting, etc) actually made games any better, and some would argue they generally contributed to the decline of game quality to what it is in the present day.

I look at old reviews and people were fucking disgusted that Ocarina of Time didn't have voice acting. You know how terrible and dated and pointless that would have been?
>>
>>3122136
what they actually meant is irrelevant. i was just referring to you presuming what OP meant.
>>
>>3122260
I'm not the anon you replied to either.
>>
>>3117419
Interestingly enough, the discs would weigh the exact same amount, though there might be less of them.
>>
>>3115807
>playing Final Fantasy 8 in the background

I did love the SEED system and card game.

>doing everything you can to make sure random and other bullshit rules never spread.

I had to reload so many times. Fuck those gay ass rules.
>>
>>3122181
People were so obsessed with gimmicks at the time and then-new technology. I guess no one realized how transitional the technology would be. It is the generation that eventually turned me off of gaming for many years after honestly. I prob should have owned an N64 instead of a PS1.. In retrospect there's not many games I give a shit about anymore on PS1
>>
>>3117420
Nah. Only anime fags prefer ff8
>>
>>3122181

No it wasn't. Going with a cartridge based system was perfectly reasonable to make fun of when everything had moved away from analog media.

N64 games cost more and had the inferior version of blockbuster multiplats like Tony Hawk. EA Sports pretty much exclusively dealt with CD based consoles after the release of the Playstation. Street Fighter never got released on the N64.

It goes on. From a consumer perspective there was quite a bit to bag Nintendo for over cartridges. They probably agree themselves since their immediate followup used CDs.
>>
>>3122719
>analog media
>cartridge
>>
>>3122719

It was a bad decision but I'm actually glad they gave carts a last hurrah, as a consumer they were expensive, but not really all that much more expensive than a retail CD game. The reason N64 was expensive to me as a kid was because all of my PS1 games were bootlegs, so obviously I considered N64 games to be hella expensive (I could buy like 10 copy PS1 games for the price of 1 N64 game). But in the long run, still having all these sturdy carts and having they work perfectly, plus no loading times, I think it's not bad.
Discs are convenient, but they have their cons too.
I'm also not sure about the whole inferior version, I think most of the times the N64 version was better than the PS1 one. Generally it was DC/PC>N64>PS1. The only advantage PS1 could have had being the sound, and depending on the game.

Also for example on Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (mixed bag game, but I like it), on the original N64 version the cutscenes had to be sprite-based, and they look really nice!
The PC version got some new FMV cutscenes done in CGI that I think look really ugly and goofy. In that sense, maybe the FMV was impressive back then, but nowadays I prefer the 2D cutscenes on the cart version. Of course this is just 1 example, not the rule, many N64 games suffered from lack of video, but sometimes it was a pro.
>>
>>3122751

N64 did have some great exclusives and it wasn't an awful console or anything. People bagging on it for going with cartridges when computer programs, music and even movies moved over to CD/DVDs isn't really cringey like the guy I replied to tried to say though.

People who thought Jazz drives were the future?

That's fucking cringe.
>>
>>3122126
>idk about dq, it always was irrelevant.

In japan it is more popular than FF ever was or will be.

They made specific laws against releasing DQ games on work days, it was so popular it clogged up the commerce of the entire country.
>>
>>3117442
>Is that a true claim that nights is the first real time 3d flying was done fluid and free?

Nights is none of that. It is an entirely 2d game with pretty 3d graphics.
>>
>>3116205
>Are there any japanese commercials that shit on the competition?

Only thing I can think of is Segata Sanshiro breaking N64 cartridges in a commercial or two.
>>
>>3122835

wat

I thought I watched all of Segata's ads and don't remember that.

Link?
>>
>>3122181
While voice acting in games was nothing new, that was the time it became more widespread and known to most people. Now voice acting is the standard.
>>
File: fig_3.2.jpg (28 KB, 409x284) Image search: [Google]
fig_3.2.jpg
28 KB, 409x284
The FMV was one of the shittiest things about gen 5 in general and Final Fantasy in particular.

Look at this shit. REALER THAN REAL LIFE.

Also every last prerendered backdrop in FF7 is an uncompressed bitmap. Fuck, if they hadn't made that dumbass move they could probably have cut the disc count and the load times.
>>
>>3122885
Moviegames really were the cancer that killed vidya.
>>
File: 1384829417256.gif (2 MB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
1384829417256.gif
2 MB, 320x224
>>3122885
Ayy
>>
>>3117439

>disc rot

Nice meme faggot
>>
>>3122885

Could these graphics be done in real time nowadays? I mean at the same resolution, with some CRT filtering. I want to see a modern game designed to look like PS1 FVM on a 90s CRT.
>>
>>3122892
hot
>>
>>3120092

I bet she sucks a mean dick
>>
>>3122841
>Now voice acting is the standard.
But do people even fucking care about voice acting anymore? Pretty much everyone I know just reads text themselves and presses the button to skip ahead without even listening to it.

>>3122719
>No it wasn't. Going with a cartridge based system was perfectly reasonable to make fun of when everything had moved away from analog media.
I disagree. Carts were more expensive and had less storage, but as I said, they still had everything where it mattered. During the N64 era, Nintendo was putting out some of the best 5th gen games on the market, CD or not. Basically every reason to hate on carts over CDs was all superfluous shit that didn't actually affect gameplay, and carts still had the advantage of being more durable and having no load times.
>>
>>3117456
>MSFS 1
>fluid
lol not even close.
>>
>>3123938
>But do people even fucking care about voice acting anymore?

They do when you can't skip it.
>>
>>3115807
>Possibly the greatest game ever made is available only on Playstation
>greatest game ever made
my sides
>>
>>3122751
Carts were on track to be reasonably priced vs CDs but there was earthquakes/tsunamis in Asia that fucked memory production early in n64s life. It wouldn't have been cheaper, but it would have been competitive and still large.
>>
>>3124164
I've heard that originally the 64 MB cartridge was going to be the standard for the console after the middle of its life.

Conker is proof that you can have great sound quality including voice acting on a cartridge, if maybe not FMV. It would have been nice if more N64 games could have been like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRGbfufHG8

This doesn't sound worse than what you'd find even in good PS1 games, except maybe those that go full redbook audio.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.