[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY interconnects.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: DSCN0292.jpg (464 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0292.jpg
464 KB, 1600x1200
Made an s-video cable. Now I am in the process of making a RGBs cable, is there aywhere to buy just the connectors and pins? or do I have to buy cheap a/v cables and scavenge?

gutted a n64 rf modulator so I can fit the wires and caps cleanly.
>>
You mean proprietary connectors like the Nintendo ones?

Got to cannibalize or buy chink specials.
>>
or remove and replace with non proprietary.
>>
>>3115595
You might as well just buy the cables premade.
>>
>>3115602
yes proprietary

poo, oh well time to order a few cheap a/v cables
>>
>>3115619
Careful which ones you buy. A lot of them are glued and or filled.
>>
Bought mine from Aliexpress, the quality is surprisingly good.
>>
File: DSCN0293.jpg (472 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0293.jpg
472 KB, 1600x1200
>>3115613
nobody makes a direct to bnc rgbs cable, and pre made aren't as nice as what you can whip up on a bench for a few bucks.
>>
Making your own cables is pure autism when most of them are available for like 3 to 5 bucks on ebay.
>>
>>3115652
Rgbs cables are not three to five dollars.
>>
>>3115647
>for a few bucks.
Good coax ain't cheap. For the like $25-$30 it costs you can just get a JP-2 cable that'll be as good as what you can make yourself. Better even.

You also need to know what you're doing when you mess with 75 ohm connectors. Not all consoles were made to work with 75 ohm connectors.
>>
>>3115624
I just need the pins mainly, I'm going to use rf modulators from here on out so I can just put rca jacks for audio and use 75ohm coax for video signals.

>>3115652
The purest
>>
>>3115664
I used to be a satellite tech, this is nothing new and I still have all the tools. Google can guide me through the rest.

I already priced all this for under $20 which is the best patch panel cable and bnc out there
http://belden.com/techdatas/metric/1505F.pdf
http://www.belden.com/docs/upload/PB324_BNC_High-definition_Connectors.pdf

going all out on this one, broadcast quality.

>>3115664
and a jp21 to bnc adapter and an audio breakout. Fuck the interconnect will being as big as the console and cost around $50-60 from my research for all those things and a decent stereo rca cable.
>>
>>3115690
Where are buying any of that for $20?

Used lots on ebay?
>>
>>3115701
http://www.markertek.com/product/bl-1505f/belden-1505f-rg59-21-sdi-coaxial-cable-ft
I only need 3 ft for my setup (3x4)x.83=9.96

http://www.markertek.com/product/bl-1505abhdl/belden-1505abhdl-rg-59-bnc-hd-connector-red-band

I found cheaper bnc on ebay but I think they sold. haven't even researched to see if I could get it cheaper. I have colored heat shrink to mark the monitor connections with.
>>
>>3115725
Oh that's not bad. I've driven by their warehouse before actually. I thought they only did bulk orders?
The cheapest I've seen it elsewhere is like $2 a foot.

I may buy some for another project later. I have to figure in 6 cables though. RGBS and Audio lines.

Do you use any kind of wire looms?
>>
>>3115725
Also if you're doing JP-21 look at
https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/products/pro-rgb-cable-retromeister-for-sega-saturn

They're really nice quality. Especially for the price.
>>
>>3115595
Get the generic connectors that have all the pins. Open the connector and solder your own cable.
>>
File: seperators.jpg (47 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
seperators.jpg
47 KB, 500x350
>>3115732
I am going to use rca jacks in the rf modulator housing so I can use production audio cables, mine is getting hooked up to a switch box with bnc video and rca audio.

>>3115732
automotive spark plug wire seperators
>>
>>3115652
>most of them are available for like 3 to 5 bucks on ebay.

Yeah, about those...
>>
>>3115595
You can buy connectors for most consoles.

>>3115652
Posting on 4chan about shit you know nothing about is pure autism.
>>
>>3115903
>>3115752
Links? I must've been using the wrong search phrases.

Also I want high quality caps. Good sources?
>>
>>3117746
If you're the OP the only other thing to talk about is it'ill be difficult to fit that coax into a snes connector.
>>
>>3117752
i measured 6mmx4 and it will fit in the rf adapter, I am going to drill the ends and cut in between so it is a clean oval hole and then heat shrink around all 4 and hot glue the heat shrink to the housing for pull strength like I did the s-video cable.

I was still hunting links on these elusive proprietary connectors anons posted about. I can't find any.
>>
>>3117774
I'm not sure man. Have you used that kind of Coax before for this application?

You can't even really use it for svideo.

You'll probably have to use some smaller wire to solder to the connector than to the coax wire.

No idea how legit but one of the dudes selling the Sega amp things is also selling SNES and PS1/2 connectors.
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/helders-modding-parts-systems-sales.51006/
>>
>>3117806
not in this app but I used to be a satellite tech.I just made the s-video cable out of an old svhs intrconnect. the conductor is 23 awg the same as a high quality stereo rca cable so it shouldnt be an issue, twist it, tin it and tack it to the pins. will probably have to solder a wire across the shielding and make a bridge for the ground. We'll find out in a week or so when the components get here. Only $27 so far, it's not a big deal if it's a failure.

thanks for the link nice guy anon!
>>
>>3117921
I think a better option would be to just solder wires to the coax instead of striping a huge amount of insulation off and have to deal with rolling back the shielding also. My opinion.

But I mean were talking huge overkill with these cables already.

I'm happy with that JP21 cable I linked before and the best part is I didn't need to lift up my iron or spend the time checking continuity. Big thing when dealing with JP-21 and Scart plugs...

I probably should had went the route you're going first but I already got my cables set and don't want to transfer over to RCA cables atm.
>>
>>3117938
Yeah I'm just doing it for something to do. might as well go full retard overkill if you're going through the trouble of making it yourself. thanks for the tip, I will do that if it seems like too much of a pain. I have a stripping tool that trims the insulation and conductor in one go. similar to this but a different brand with multiple cartridges to trim any portion of the cable in any length so cutting is not an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0SFeTdXcA

by the way ideal has a bunch of good cable making tips for the shadetree.
>>
>>3118008
Ya I don't have any of that. I'm stuck with the good old xacto blades if I want to remove the insulation.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.