[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when you were a kid and you thought summons in RPGs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (353 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.png
353 KB, 640x480
Remember when you were a kid and you thought summons in RPGs were the strongest attacks in the game?
>>
>>3114848

they often were in most ordinary situations.
>>
>>3115876
From a DPA point of view, yes
From a DPS point of view, no
>>
>>3115889
This.
>>
>>3115889
Well to be honest, it just looked cool....

And killing enemies with a bang gives that sense of accomplishment that killing them normally doesn't give.
>>
File: Job15-SMN_(FFXI).png (257 KB, 565x565) Image search: [Google]
Job15-SMN_(FFXI).png
257 KB, 565x565
>>3115889
until diablo comes along and summons being popularized as permanent/semi-permanent "pet"s which could go for dps instead of one-off bombs.
>>
>>3114848
In FF8 they can be if you boosted them..
>>
>>3119187
Renzokuken, Duel, and whatever Irvine's limit break is called beats them all by a landslide.
>>
>>3119207
My 12yo self would be pulling his hair out if I left HP low on purpose to spam limit breaks.

"The next attack is going to kill you"
>There won't be a next attack.

plus you're not getting into spirit when you taking advantage of game mechanics. I might purposely draw the battle out for fun.
>>
>>3119474
You expect most of the people here to grasp the concept of immersion? Got bad news for ya buddy, everyone here always seems to break games, ask for tips on games they've never played, and look up guides to make their play through as easy as possible.
>>
>>3115889
What the heck's DPA? Damage per... Action?
>>
>>3114848
My memory is rusty, but isn't KOTR mimed with mp turbo the strongest attack in FF7 or is it maxed out Barret with 4 hero drinks and angermax?
>>
>>3119549
I would assume area, but you could just google it. Or I could. Didn't feel like it though.
>>
>>3119538
I don't blame them. With new games, I just want to be done with them as soon as possible.

I'm afraid the secret to enjoying games is to be a hormonal teenager. That ride ended a long time ago for me. But I keep playing hoping to feel something again.
>>
>>3119557
Ah, I haven't lost the drive yet. Do I have much time to play games? No, but when I do I drop pretty much everything and just enjoy it. The moment I can't do that is when I feel like I will have given up on my former self.
>>
>>3115889
>DPS
>In turn-based RPGs

Dude you have got to breathe some actual air instead of whatever dope you're hotboxing right now.
>>
>>3119570
If he's referring to Final Fantasy games (where Summons are very prevalent), DPS is probably correct outside of FFX.
>>
yes I spammed summons in FF8 non stop, to be fair the junction system was bullshit though.
>>
>>3119584
They were kinda useless in IX though. I never used them.
>>
>>3119570
You realize you're not actually immortal, right?
>>
>>3119586
eiko's summons were just terrible.
>>
>>3119594
the girls made better white mages than summoners.
Hell, there were only a few parts when their white magic was even useful.
>>
>Be 11-12
>Get FF8
>First Final Fantasy
>Previous RPG experience was Mario RPG and Pokemon
>Have no idea what I am doing
>Spend entire game spamming summons
>Get stuck at Raijin, Fujin at Lunatic Pandora
>Stopped there.

Went back a few years later when I actually knew how to play RPGs and completely shit stomped the entire game with proper junctions and limit break spam. Finished the entire game without using any summons but doomtrain for the Vit 0 effect. Only used other summons to see the animations I usually never even had the GF command equipped.

255 strength Squall + Vit 0 = 9999 Lionhearts for days.
>>
>>3119549
Attack, ya doof.
>>
File: o9AklrP.jpg (29 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
o9AklrP.jpg
29 KB, 640x360
> FF7
Never used summons other than KoTR as a legitimate strategy, only used them in regular battles because they looked cool. Only used KoTR against the WEAPONs at that.

> FF8
First playthrough I used summons a lot, since I wasn't good with the junction system. Spammed Diablos when I was fighting Tonberries. Subsequent playthroughs I just got really good at junctioning and didn't need summons.

> FF9
I summon Ark occasionally if I want to cause damage with Dagger. I don't think I've even seen most of the summons in that game, despite playing it numerous times.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.