[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats your opinions on the retro sports games? Have any of them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13
whats your opinions on the retro sports games? Have any of them aged well?
>>
File: 577px-Vr_logo.png (67 KB, 577x599) Image search: [Google]
577px-Vr_logo.png
67 KB, 577x599
Sorry about the off topic discussion, I just swung by to let you all know about the upcoming 4chan Spring babby cup.

As it stands, /vr/ has no manager and will subsequently be denied entry to the competition! I'm not a big /vr/ goer myself, but I don't know if you here on the board really like seeing the team.

If you do, stepping up isn't hard, the team is basically already all here and its just a matter of stepping up and saying you'll manage them.

If you don't, then just ignore this thread and have a nice day.
>>
favorites are:

>nintendo world cup
great fucking soccer game. love the power moves and ai. great with the four score adapter and more friends
>nba live 95
idk i've just loved this one forever. easily the best basketball game to me. plays very arcade-like but at the same time more serious and realistic than nba jam.
>>
>>3114791
I am not sure if it was called Kick Off or some other name but I remember playing a Neo Geo arcade game with soccer that was very entertaining. I think it's still worth playing to this day.

OP, the game of your pic is pretty cheap over here. Has anybody played it and if so, did you think it was a good soccer game? Why (not)?
>>
File: 220px-Mlhgenesis[1].jpg (26 KB, 220x309) Image search: [Google]
220px-Mlhgenesis[1].jpg
26 KB, 220x309
It's not perfect, but it's fun. This is one I'd love to see a modern iteration of too, using an altered version of the engine from the new NHL games.
>>
File: Captain Tsubasa.png (2 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Captain Tsubasa.png
2 KB, 256x224
I liked sports games that aren't really sports games, like pic related which is more of a tactical RPG, and maybe stuff like NBA Jam and Super Dodge Ball simply because they're not meant to replicate the real ones. Normal sports games tend to get boring real quick especially if no friend.
>>
>>3114817
I haven't played it myself, just used it as a placeholder image for the thread. I didn't play much of soccer games back in the day, mostly just NBA Jam and one of the really old NHL games.
>>
Sensible Soccer is still to date the most playable football game ever made.
>>
File: we4.jpg (145 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
we4.jpg
145 KB, 1024x768
All retro Winning Eleven games from 4 onwards are solid as fuck and play better than most of 6th gen football games if you ask me. Also,

>aged

:^)
>>
File: 70004-Baseball_Stars_2.png (353 KB, 467x390) Image search: [Google]
70004-Baseball_Stars_2.png
353 KB, 467x390
I've always enjoyed the Baseball Stars series.
>>
International Super Star Soccer for the SNES was fun as hell
>>
Sensible Soccer. Super Tennis. NHLPA '93. PGA Tour '93. End transmission.
>>
Even if you didn't like hockey or sports in general, you liked this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnOJ8GnheXc
>>
>>3114838
I had this in japanese as a kid so I had to kinda memorize the menus and didn't know what anyone was saying but it's great.

I think sports games (the ones that try to be realistic) are better and better as time passes in my opinion. Every other genre it depends but with soccer games for example after playing modern titles (PES 16 for example) and then going back to the old ones you feel way too restricted as far as movement and all that stuff goes which makes it not as fun. At least that's me.
>>
>>3115392
I said "for example" many times in that post.
>>
File: dick hunter.jpg (71 KB, 500x578) Image search: [Google]
dick hunter.jpg
71 KB, 500x578
>>3114791
>Super Soccer
Im not a soccer guy. But I enjoyed this game. And was actually playing it last night.
>Obligatory
NHL 94 (snes or gens)
Tecmo Super Bowl(nes, gens is good but NES is goat)
>Other motherfucking gems
Super Batter Up(snes)
World Series 95 (sega)
NBA Live 95 (sega)
Madden 96(sega) Just for the create a player
Baseball Stars(neo geo)
There is other things like Gran Turismo, and Tony Hawk but Im not sure what "sports" you refer to.
>>
Base wars
Blades of steel
double dribble
nba jam
nfl blitz
nhl hitz are all fun with a friend

i also like getting drunk and playing track & field
>>
>>3114796

Someone should definitely do this. If you guys haven't watched the Cup, it's fucking hilarious.
>>
File: 16630_front.jpg (66 KB, 540x768) Image search: [Google]
16630_front.jpg
66 KB, 540x768
NBA Jam/Hang Time/Showtime
Super High Impact
Tecmo Super Bowl
RBI Baseball '94
Super Baseball 2020
World Series Baseball II (Saturn)
NHL Hockey and NHL '94
Sensible World of Soccer

Not-quite-retro:
NHL Hitz 20-03
RedCard
FIFA Street 2

There's also some I only play because you can make custom teams, like Actua Soccer 3. Said game also has some really dumb yet charming bonus teams (Top 50 Babes, anyone?)
>>
File: game-urinal-side.jpg (255 KB, 800x1372) Image search: [Google]
game-urinal-side.jpg
255 KB, 800x1372
Saw this neat idea for all those old sports games.
>>
>>3114838
I agree. I liked Super Spike V'Ball a lot for that reason (not to mention being able to play as The gameplay for the Kunio sports games is a mixed bag for me now, but I still find them hilarious.

I did almost kill myself trying to imitate a Nintendo World Cup-style bicycle kick. I think a part of my childhood ended when I almost broke my neck instead of kicking the ball hard enough to make it flatten out, flash repeatedly, and then knock the goalie sixty feet into the air.
>>
>>3116320
*was trying to say you can play as Billy and Jimmy Lee in Super Spike and that's perty kewl.
>>
>>3114825
It's great with friends. Shame it's so much now
>>
>>3114791
I like arcady sport games that were made back then, like the Kunio-kun games, Sensisble Soccer and Windjammers. You don't get games like this anymore. Maybe some Nintendo title once in a while.
>>
>>3116183
No that's not neat it is horrific. That's a pee pee palace, and games shouldn't be urinated on.
>>
File: 1457361737256.jpg (79 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
1457361737256.jpg
79 KB, 600x432
>>3114791

>dat donald trump goalie
>>
I think the "non-realistic" games were a lot better than the FIFAs of that time.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (149 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149 KB, 1280x720
Here we go!
>>
File: 15677_front.jpg (79 KB, 640x470) Image search: [Google]
15677_front.jpg
79 KB, 640x470
Super Soccer is an all right game. Love the soundtrack, especially Belgium's theme. I'm terrible at the game though. My personal favorite SNES soccer game is International Superstar Soccer. That game blew my mind at how realistic it looked and that crazy announcer voice when you score a goal.
>>
>>3114796
I might be up for it. I don't know anything about 4chan cups and how they work though.
>>
>>3114874
ISS 97-98 on the N64 was GOAT and putting FIFA games to shame at that time.
>>
>>3114825
Met a developer of Mutant League Football at C2E2 who was showing off a new game for modern systems and PC.
Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to him for too long, but he seemed nice.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.