[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ultima thread maybe I guess.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (504 KB, 820x1079) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
504 KB, 820x1079
So I recently joined the PC mustard race and decided to get GOG, through which I discovered Ultima 4 was free. So I got it, played the first fifteen minutes, and enjoyed it so thoroughly that I decided I have to play the entire series.

I'm about to play ultima 1 and I'm going in completely blind. Any tips for starters? Any suplementary feelies/books that came with the physical copy that I need to read up on?
>>
File: image.gif (933 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
933 KB, 500x281
>>3114338
>Just realized GOG comes with scans of the physical material

Holy shit do they do that with all of their older games? If so that fucking rules.
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 544x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 544x544
>>3114338
That knight doesn't have a hope.
>>
>>3114349
They also give you hint books which aren't really necessary.

What they don't give you are crucial patches so you don't have to suffer through CGA or lacking music.
http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/ultima-patcher-1-61/

You can't really do much wrong in Ultima 1. Walk around, try out stuff and you've basically solved the game.
Ultima 2 is a completely different beast. I'd recommend not spending too much time on it. It tried a lot of new stuff and just wasn't up for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 200x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 200x255
>>3114338
>Reading manual
>Ye olde english medieval setting
>Suddenly fucking starship docking procedures and implications that Mondain has made an alliance with aliens

wat
>>
File: image.gif (4 MB, 275x206) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4 MB, 275x206
>>3114371
That patch is pretty fucking comprehensive. Thanks man.
>>
>>3114407
Have fun.
>>
>>3114407
>Playing Might and Magic
>Ye olde english tolkien setting
>Suddenly fucking sharks with fucking lasers and implications that space travel can be done
>>
I'd like to play Ultima VII and Underworld but I'm too casual.
>>
>>3114656
I can't recommend playing 7 without 4-6. You miss out on the best parts of the game.

Ultima is really not a hardcore series. The most demanding task is tracking information. Even with subpar classes like shepherd the game is easily beatable.
>>
>>3114407
welcome to the world of crpgs.
>>
>>3114769
4 is a serious test of patience though

it's just so boring today
>>
>>3114349
Some have them . Some don't. Depends on how jewish the publisher is and if they can find a scanned source.

E.g. the re-release of Fallout 1/2/Tactics have no extra scans other than the manual .

BUT if you bought or got the free code for the older version of the Fallout on their site you get ALL the extras introducing the printable PDFs of some /tg/ game.

>>3114371
>CGA
THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PRAYED!
Seriously though if you're that butthurt about muh graphix, play the NES or Nippon versions of Ultima.
>>
>>3114407
Lord British is a real delusional faggot, yes. Also Mondain fugged a Sorceress who gave birth to a Cyborg Darklord.
>>
>>3115036
>THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PRAYED!
It's not, it was originally an Apple II game. I don't think the game loses anything by having a nicer tileset. The NES ports aren't that pretty and they changed a lot in the games.
FM Towns is arguably the best option for 1 and 2.
PC98 is the best looking for 5 but most people here won't play a Japanese translation of an English game.
>>
File: image.gif (445 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
445 KB, 250x175
>Walk to local town
>Buy some provisions
>The second I walk outside I get assaulted by a bear, two thieves, a pirate ship, and a pair of necromancers

Jesus, the second you hit the first town the game just takes the fucking training wheels off, doesn't it?
>>
>>3115123
Old skool CRPGs are like that, but I don't think LB thought about game balance until U4 when he had a better budget for game-testing or whatever.

He bascially made U1 out of his bedroom as a solo dev,and I think his waifu was still helping him to ship game copies out of his own garage after he made U3.
>>
>>3115503
There's some balance in 3. At least pirates take a while until they show up.

>his waifu
You mean his mother? She made maps for the games.
He didn't sell Ultima 1 or 2 personally. 1 was published by California Pacific and 2 by Sierra Online. From 3-7 he was his own publisher after funding Origin but at that time he had significant employees.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.