[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
old computer games? xp tower
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 3238_front.jpg (69 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
3238_front.jpg
69 KB, 640x640
I was looking into getting an old computer... But honestly I'm confused. I want to be able to play dos games without any trouble. I know nothing on the matter, I fell off computers while Warcraft vannila was still new. I'm talking games like dungeon keeper gold and fallout 1-2 but still play age of empires 1-2 and all that good stuff... What kind of old or "new" PC am I looking for? HALP ME /VR/!!
>>
File: 1459588496297.gif (2 MB, 300x262) Image search: [Google]
1459588496297.gif
2 MB, 300x262
Much appreciated
>>
use a VM
>>
>>3114116
VM? I'd that a program I can buy? I'm just looking for an xp that can play dos and shtuff. Last I remember xp can do that?
>>
>>3114120
And if so what specs should I be looking at?
>>
Am I asking the wrong questions here?
>>
>play dos games
DOSBOX.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

THREAD OVER
>>
Why not just use Windows 98 instead of XP?
>>
>>3114159
I figured xp would be the newest I could go without being expensive computer... I'm really asking what computer to get,to make this possible without issues?
>>
File: 1459588728340.jpg (379 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1459588728340.jpg
379 KB, 960x1280
>>3114151
Ok, that's part of my question... But I don't have a computer... for fucks sake
>>
>>3114168
1) XP doesn't include native DOS. You can use DOSBox to emulate most games, but then again you can do so under any modern Windows. I don't think they even sell computers with preinstalled XP, since its support ceased two years ago. You can play many 95/98 games under WinXP, but not all.

2) Windows 95/98 has DOS natively. Windows 95/98 is also a bit more difficult to set up than XP or newer Windows. Win95/98 is only necessary for few games which can't be played under WinXP.

3) Dungeon Keeper and Fallout 1 were released for both DOS and Win95/98. Fallout 2 and Age Of Empires are Win95/98 games and can not be run in DOS.

4) Many games for old Windows have third party fixes that allow them to be played on newer Windows.

Bottom line: decide exaclty which games you want to play, see exactly which platform (DOS, Win95, Win98, WinXP) they were released for, search for fan-made fixes to determine if you can run them on newer Windows, count the odds.
>>
>>3114168
I guess you're looking for a cheap tower at a thrift store. If you want XP, you will need at least a Pentium III or IV with 512MB for it to run smoothly and DOS games can be a pain to run under XP.

Nowadays, you can get a new low-end tower for 400 dollars that would allow you to do other things and run DOSBOX. That is, if money isn't to much of a problem.
>>
>I'm talking games like dungeon keeper gold and fallout 1-2 but still play age of empires 1-2 and all that good stuff

You're talking late-90s era stuff at the earliest, so Windows 98 and Slot-1 era gear if you're looking to run on real hardware.
>>
>>3114214
This. And some old Windows games that won't run on XP or higher out of the box run great through WINE.
>>
>>3114170
>Summerfag
>muh cellphone
Die. >>>/v/

Remember to s$$$ and r$$$$$
>>
>>3115004
Oh fuck off, I came here for advice.
>>
>>3115873
Don't listen to those kind of dumbass shitposts.
>>
Op here
Thank you /vr/... So could I use xp or higher, and emulate 98/95 to play 95/98 and dos... Since 95/98 has dos natively?
>>
>>3115891

Correct.

Well assuming you can find and use an old enough version of Virtualbox or VMWare, from before they dropped proper Win9x guest OS support.
>>
>>3116289
Sweet
>>
Dungeon keeper runs fine in dosbox. Easy-peasy
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.