[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, these are the only two old school Sonic games I've never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: gaems.jpg (490 KB, 1196x796) Image search: [Google]
gaems.jpg
490 KB, 1196x796
So, these are the only two old school Sonic games I've never played in my life, and I come to you to ask if they are worth playing
>>
sonic cd sure, if you like sonic. chaotix nah
>>
Just emulate them both, it's worth it for the music and production values alone.
>>
>>3113905
Sonic CD is the best Sonic game ever made.
>>
>>3113905

Sonic CD yes, but don't expect to go fast. It's about exploration and using time travel to get the good future. You only get the good ending if you cause a good future in all of the levels.

Chaotix is nice to look at but a headache to play. The "rubber band" mechanic is just a bad idea and doesn't work.
>>
>>3113905
Sonic CD is the worst Sonic game ever made.
>>
>>3113905
Sonic CD? Yes.
Knuckles' Chaotix? No.
>>
>>3113905
I'll probably be alone here but I actually like Chaotix quite a bit. I think the rubber band thing is pretty cool, though it can behave in a broken manner.
>>
>>3113905
CD, yes
Chaotix... give it a spin on an emulator before you go hunting it down. Probably not worth buying but anything's worth playing once, you know what I mean?
>>
File: 1456732351216.jpg (87 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1456732351216.jpg
87 KB, 604x604
Is Steam version of Sonic CD any good?
>>
It'll take less than five hours to beat both unless you're going for 100% maybe.

Sonic CD is fun to breeze through, but getting 100% can be a pretty big pain. The digital remake is the definitive version because of 60fps alone.

Chaotix has nice art and music and I don't mind the rubber band thing. Its biggest problem is level design: the levels are absolute messes and they're just not fun to play. It's sad how people think it's the only good 32X game. I think fans should play it at least once though.
>>
>>3113992
it's the best version
>>
File: 1459701322316.png (454 KB, 414x499) Image search: [Google]
1459701322316.png
454 KB, 414x499
>>3114027
Great, thanks
>>
>>3114032
Don't buy it on Steam, though. You don't need to support GabeN's pretentious monopoly or install DRM on your system to play it.
>>
Sonic CD is shit. Don't trust the memers.
>>
>>3114068
Care to give your objective reasons why?
>>
>>3114069
Because the levels are complete messes. They are very tight/claustrophobic, and filled to the brim with minor backtracking, and objects that limit player control. It doesn't sound that bad, but when you're playing it, it's super easy to recognize how inferior and messy it is compared to the real games. I dare you to even try to defend Wacky Workbench or any of the bosses in the game. The game's presentation is way off too. I feels way too different and not in a good sense. It's very easy to notice it was made by a different developer, that hadn't properly grasped how to make levels or appearance good.
>>
>>3114027
Does it have the easter eggs?
>>
>>3114079
I'm inclined to agree. It has none of the fluidity of the first three games.
>>
>>3114081
I think all the easter eggs might still be in, yeah.
>>
>>3114079
>real games

You mean, "game". As there was only Sonic 1 at the time. Cough cough labyrinth zone.

>It feels way too different

Yes, because it was put into development by SoJ almost immediately after the first game. SoJ went for a more exploration-based game, using speed to move between different time periods. The challenge isn't "going fast", it's now "going fast for a certain amount of time". So, of course it "feels" different. SoJ was pulling a Zelda 2.

And, surely enough, people will defend Zelda 2, because it's a gameplay style they enjoy. If you don't like exploration games, that's fine. Just don't act like it permanently marred the series forever.

>The game's presentation is way off too

Okay first, appearance. I completely disagree with you on that notion, and I certainly hope you understand why.

Second, levels. Of course they're bad, exploration-based platformers weren't really an established genre. They were just throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck. Sonic 2 stuck.

Look, you're free to your own opinion, I just feel you haven't given this game the time it needed to engage you. If you want less time to feel engaged, that's just your opinion.

What did you think about the soundtrack?
>>
>>3114108
>Permanently...forever

God damn it, I'm getting tired.
>>
>>3113905
not really they are what you play when you have beaten the others and want more, atleast sonic cd.. Knuckle chaotix is what you play when you want a different spin on the sonic formula its a interesting unique game but not quite polished.still some enjoyment can be had playing either game if your into old school sonic games
>>
Yes. Sonic CD because it's the best Sonic game and Knuckles Chaotix because it's a very different and interesting game once you get used to its weird gimmick.
>>
>>3114079
I honestly wonder if people actually played the Sonic games. They all have certain wonky, claustophobic levels, and backtracking is just a different mechanic for CD, mostly if you want to destroy all the robot generators.

Sonic CD is by far the best Sonic game, and I don't say that with some fucking "nostalgia"; I was an adult when I played all the Sonic games, and I played 1-3 FIRST. Still think CD is by far the best.
>>
Is this Sonic CD thing a new meme or something? It was terrible. Just watch a short playthrough to get an idea of what it is if you want to know whether it's "worth playing".
>>
>>3114108
>You mean, "game". As there was only Sonic 1 at the time.
No, that's wrong. Sonic 2 was came out a year before CD, and 3 came out a couple of months after CD.

>What did you think about the soundtrack?
I don't consider it as good as the trilogy. It feels a lot more dated because of how much it relies on funk and rock.
>>
>>3114169
Care to give your objective reasons why?
>>
>>3114172
>sonic 2 came out
>came out

Yes, I was referring to when it was being developed. Before Sonic 2. C'mon man, do your research before replying.

>It feels a lot more dated because of how much it relies on funk and rock.

What's bad about a dated soundtrack? You're playing on an old console, after all.
>>
Don't go into Sonic CD expecting a typical Sonic game. It tries an adventure-style approach where you should explore every nook and cranny of each act instead of just blasting through the levels holding right non-stop.
>>
>>3114175
>when it was being developed
Doesn't matter. 2 still came out a year first, and needless to say the developers must've played both of the first games while developing it.

>What's bad about a dated soundtrack?
It's not bad if you enjoy it. Personally I think it's more cheesy and doesn't hold up today, compared to the other games which have much stronger melodies and sound less bombastic.
>>
>>3114179

This. If anything, CD should have been the Knuckles spin off, not that 32X abomination. That way people would have been less taken by surprise when it turned out to be more exploratory and less speed focused
>>
Sonic CD is decent, I mostly find it to flow worse than the other games and although people praise its exploration / adventure aspects they just feel tedious to me because it can be such a pain to actually manage time travel.

Chaotix is kind of bad in general, the rubber banding was somewhat interesting but no where near strong enough to be the sole focus of the game.
>>
>>3114213
It actually should've been Ristar 2.
>>
>>3114225

Ristar got a Game Gear version that was pretty tight. Not really relevant but a lot of people don't know about it. It's surprisingly pretty for an 8 bit game and does a great job of replicating the Gen version's gameplay.
>>
>>3113905
Sonic CD is great. It's like an alternate Sonic 3. Knuckles Chaotix was fun to play through once. It's kind of dull though because it has very few enemies and you just run around a lot.
>>
>>3113905
I completed both about 2 years ago :>
>>
File: scd-news-segaforce-apr93[1].jpg (59 KB, 209x734) Image search: [Google]
scd-news-segaforce-apr93[1].jpg
59 KB, 209x734
>>3114209
>doesn't matter
It kind of does though. If we're talking about how Sonic CD's level design doesn't reflect the second or third game's much more straightforward design, it ignores the fact that they were being designed that way in the first place. It was changed because releasing a new Sonic game less than a couple months after 2 would be a disaster. So, they pushed back the release and made new, nonlinear levels; a departure from the original playstyle. A Zelda 2.

I also get the feeling that you think Sonic 2 was developed before CD. I suggest you look into that, namely the founding of STI.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.