[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this really the best rpg on the saturn? Many signs point
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8
File: image.png (417 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
417 KB, 640x1136
Is this really the best rpg on the saturn?

Many signs point to yes for me

-scarce
- always bid around $200
-no one will trade me

Even though it's an incomplete game people still can't get enough
>>
>Is this really the best rpg on the saturn?
No.
>>
A games rareness does not determine its quality.
>>
>scarce
Tips fedora. A true hidden gem.
>>
What are good RPGs on the Saturn anyways?
>>
>>3113778
yes, le hidden gem maymay is my favorite xD
>>
>>3113782
Soul Hackers
>>
This game is seriously this expensive now? Jesus... It's not even that good... There, I said it. 1, 2, and cd are better.
I have two copies. One is split, from a crack, all the way across one side of the disc... According to this, I should be able to sell it for at least $50
>>
Scenario 3 is.
>>
>Best rpg on Saturn?
No.
>Good game?
Yes.
>Worth anywhere near $200?
Of course not.
>>
>>3114404
Pretty much this. It actually is my favorite RPG on the Saturn, but I don't think the system has an amazing RPG lineup to begin with. And it's not worlds better than PDS, Dragonforce or Rayearth which are the other pretty decent ones.

It's not worth anywhere near $200 unless you have a ton of money to throw around.
>>
>>3114487
>but I don't think the system has an amazing RPG lineup to begin with
In English at least. You know who you can thank for that.
>>
>>3114247
Are you me? Do you also have imported copies of the other episodes that you haven't played?

>>3113771
Really though OP play Shining Force 1 & 2 then either the Game Gear versions or the CD version (same games different packaging) before you even consider shelling out for 3.1US or you're a confirmed hipster.
>>
What are some affordable Saturn RPGs? I have Mystaria.
>>
>>3114510
Virtual Hydlide
>>
>>3114490
We did get Soul Hackers eventually which I think is the best one the system got.
>>
>>3114510
Blazing Heroes isn't too expensive I don't think
>>
>>3114510
Grandia because it also came on on PSX. It sucks though.
>>
>>3114510
Cyber Doll and Shining the Holy Ark if you can read Japanese.
>>3114520
That game was such a disappointment after Super Hydlide.
>>
>>3114404
>No.
Which one is the best then?
>>
>>3114547
Considering the disappointment I felt with Super Hylide that's quite a statement.
>>
>>3114561
Jared pls go, Super Hydlide is a good game.
>>
>>3114565
Jared liked Super though. He only hated the original.
>>
>>3114565
My name is Jared, and I will not go.
>>
>>3114507
Yes! I have 1-3 in Japanese that I have never touched. I bought 1 and 2 together as a package with some other games and then decided, "fuck it" and bought 3 later.
I probably will never start them either. Just don't care...
>>
>>3114565
I have a friend who's name is Jarred because his father couldn't spell Jared. I still mock him for it.

I hate Super Hydlide.
>>
>>3114547
Playing these RPG's is probably a huge catalyst in me learning Japanese. Are these games mostly in Hiragana and Katakana or is kanji thrown about?
>>
>>3113778
>>3113790
I need documentation. Someone link a tumblr or reddit or whatever where people genuinely think this and say as such.
>>
>>3114612
We should hang out.
>>
File: image.png (272 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
272 KB, 640x1136
Well fuck
>>
It's good but not as good as Panzer Dragoon Saga. But good luck getting the English version of the game.

Grandia is good too so I've heard but if you don't understand nor want to depend all on a strategy guide, then get the PS1 version.

Dragon Force is pretty fun as well if that tickles your fancy.
>>
>$200

Lol people are retarded
>>
File: kek.png (69 KB, 629x272) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
69 KB, 629x272
>>3115803
>>
File: 1458301143157.jpg (28 KB, 371x325) Image search: [Google]
1458301143157.jpg
28 KB, 371x325
>>3116916
I hope you enjoy your game OP.
>>
File: 1423431312544.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1423431312544.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
>>3116924
To be fair anon, I didn't know I was bidding against you. If it makes you feel any better, I am not reseller scum. I put in a $200 max bid and wasn't going to go higher.
>>
>>3116928
Don't worry about me senpai, I don't even have a Saturn or $200 to spend on a lone video game. Not even saying "HURF DURF OP BOUGHT A GAME LOLOL" but I'd be feeling buyers remorse rn. It looks sarcastic but I ACTUALLY hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>3116932
I don't have buyer's remorse because if I ever choose to sell it for whatever reason, it'll command a higher price thanks to the bubble. I don't plan on it anytime soon, but it's nice to know I can make the $194 back and then some in the future should I choose to.

I usually just import Japanese shmups
>>
>>3114510
You might find Dark Savior, disc-only for cheap, but the game is only barely an RPG (more a puzzle platformer), and has some signs of being unfinished (game seems to end prematurely). Despite its flaws, I liked the game quite a bit and played through all 3 of its main endings.

Dragon Force is a fun SRPG, though it can grind on. Your enemies are far faster at regenerating troops and always find a way to retreat and instantaneously re-attack with a 50% troop increase, making things slow-moving. Still, once things are moving along, it feels like a unique strategy game.

I only emulated Saga, and a little bit at that, but I liked what I played. I doubt I can justify the cost to myself though.

Holy Ark is garbage; people should stop recommending a tedious grind-fest that chugs along at 15 fps. No clue why, after several good Shining Force games, they had to do a throwback to the clunky First-Person Dungeon Crawler roots of the series. Shining Wisdom is similarly awful; a lame attempt at Zelda-style ARPG. Its biggest flaws: the range of your sword is pitiful, and the worst (and I mean WORST) is your crushingly slow default speed, that can only be raised by CONSTANTLY MASHING THE A BUTTON, ALL THE TIME. If that is not poor fucking design, I do not know what is.

For your wallet's sake, I would also recommend AVOIDING Albert Odyssey. The game is beautiful and has a funny script, but is an absolute chore to play with high encounter rates (even in the US release) and typical Working Designs poor choices that up the boss HP to insane levels. I shit you not some boss fights in that game take over an hour, and this is an hour of cycling through two attacks (a party-wide attack, and a physical attack - many bosses do this cycle), whittling down huge health bars, constantly casting buffs and heals, and listening to a lame organ chiptune.
>>
File: Legend of Oasis jR6GMW.gif (586 KB, 347x270) Image search: [Google]
Legend of Oasis jR6GMW.gif
586 KB, 347x270
>>3114510
Similar to Dark Savior, it's really more of a Zelda type action adventure than an ARPG. But it's close enough to mention.

Legend of Oasis shouldn't be too expensive given that it doesn't seem to be super popular, but is an excellent game. You get different elemental spirits you use to solve puzzles and it's very action and platform oriented. I think it's easily the best ARPG type game on the system and one of my favorites overall.

>>3117031
I have a bit of love for Holy Ark because I found Shining in the Darkness oddly comfy fun as well. But in general I agree with what you've said and though I enjoyed it, it's not a game I would recommend freely.
>>
>>3116928
I bid $160 you beat me. No hard feelings enjoy the game bro. I'm also op
>>
I will keep posting in this thread until I get it for $150 or under
>>
File: image.png (393 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
393 KB, 640x1136
While
I'm here anyone want to buy a rhea
I have the wrong model Saturn for it
>>
>>3113771

==RPG==

Albert Odyssey

==War Game==

Dragon Force

==Platform RPG==

==Action RPG==

Magic Knight Rayearth
Shining Wisdom
>>
>>3117425
why not do the pseudo saturn softmod? its cheaper and over 97% of the games work with no issues.
>>
>>3113782
Lunar: Magic School
>>
I'll let you in on a secret about a lot of expensive games, also ones that aren't translated.

Most of the time, they are completely average, but rarity and exclusivity of certain titles elevate them insanely within the retro gaming community. Normal games become "The best RPG on the Saturn", because you can't have it.

>aka, Panzer Dragoon Saga
>>
Not directly related but...

I'm palying Shining Force 3 right now using an official Saturn gamepad, but the short cord sucks.

Are there any wireless controllers, or at least ones with long cords?
>>
>>3113771
Price does not = best
If that was the case Stadium events would be the best NES game
>>3113782
The one in OP
Shining the holy ark
Panzer Dragoon saga
Grandia
Dragon force
>>
>>3119792
Wireless pads are crazily priced, grab a extension cord
>>
>>3118771
There's like a few dozen GB and GBA games that aren't translated that really should be.

Don't get me started on DS and PSP.
>>
>>3113771
Albert Odyssey goes for about $200 now and it's mediocre at best.

The story is just ok, the characters aren't interesting, it's slow as molasses, and the WD localization is dated, cheesy and destroys the tone of the game.

>le working designs was da best maymay

I can't believe I used to be one of those people. The ruined the original feel of virtually every game they touched. Not worth it for some lame jokes and dated pop culture references.
>>
>>3120679

It has great visuals, and the music seems cool. I'm trying to convince myself not to bother but I want more RPGs for my Saturn. I currently have Dragon Force and Dark Savior. I also really want Magic Knight Rayearth
>>
>>3113771
SFIII was pretty disappointing.

Langrisser IV is great, try that.
>>
>>3121197
Not OP. I've heard good things about this series and want to give it a shot but can't read Japanese. Are there any translation patches in the works/released?
>>
>>3121203
There aren't actually any anime titties in the game.
>>
Can I play Panzer Dragoon I and Zwei in Japanese?
>>
>>3121203
Langrisser 1 was localized as Warsong on the mega drive (but it's not very good)
Langrisser II has a translation patch
Der Langrisser has a translation patch
Langrisser IV has a translation patch on PS1 (different battle system)
Langrisser V's script is translated, but there's no patch

Play Der Langrisser if you're looking for a TRPG with a decent story (with branching story paths), or Langrisser II if you want slightly better music and gameplay.
>>
>>3121215
Sure, it's a shooting game.
>>
>>3121215
You wont know what is going on. But it's a rail shooter so the gameplay is there.
>>
>>3121216
The PC version of L1 is also in english, iirc.
>>
File: Shining Force III 2.jpg (147 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Shining Force III 2.jpg
147 KB, 800x600
>>3113771
I think it's my favourite RPG on the system, and easily one of my all time favourites.

I think I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed it a lot more than both 1 & 2. To be fair it was the first Shining Force game I ever played, and one of the first if not THE first RPG I played, so it has a special place in my heart.

I definitely enjoyed it more than Panzer Dragoon Saga though.

If you can, try to eventually play the full trilogy. I bought the other games years and years ago when they were reasonably priced and played them via the translation patches. It was really wonderful going back to 'really' finish the games after so many years.

I really hope you enjoy it OP, I absolutely adore the game. Please keep us posted as you play it!
>>
>>3121220
>>3121215
I'd say for Zwei it's even worse because there's quite a few parts you only know what to do if you can read japanese, and as it is with Falcom games there's lots and lots of dialogues.
>>
Metal Slug for $60, should I go for it? Is it a decent port?
>>
>>3122073
It's good as long as you have the ram extension. Iirc it still has some slowdown even with that, but it looks and sounds good
>>
>>3121631
He's talking about panzer dragoon 2 (zwei).
>>
for me it was a chore. but i hated ff tactics too
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.