[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the most innovative fifth-gen game? It's the only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: ape-escape.jpg (58 KB, 640x630) Image search: [Google]
ape-escape.jpg
58 KB, 640x630
Is this the most innovative fifth-gen game? It's the only one I can think of that utilized two analog sticks really well.

Also, innovative retro games thread.
>>
I disliked using the analog to swing the net, pointing a direction and pressing a button will always feel more intuitive to me.
>>
>>3113645
I wouldn't really call the controls innovative so much as kind of obtuse. Rotating the control stick to spin your propellor or swing your sword was a pain the ass, for instance. Sure, it was cool to be able to control a toy car and run at the same time, but for every moment the control gimmicks worked there were dozens where it fell apart. All said, however, Ape Escape is a very fun and solid game and I love to replay it every couple of years
>>
>>3113651
This. It makes more sense in the context of games like Gunstar Heroes and Smash TV where you NEED to have independent aiming from movement, but with a platformer like this you'll almost never find yourself needing to swing in a direction other than the one you're facing.
>>
I must be retarded because I could never get rowing down pat.
>>
>It REQUIRES an analog controller? WHAT A SHIT GIMMICK
I literally thought that. Boy, how wrong I was.
>>
File: nights-into-dreams.jpg (110 KB, 418x700) Image search: [Google]
nights-into-dreams.jpg
110 KB, 418x700
>>3113645
A CHALLENGER APPEARS
>>
>>3114063
I don't see what's so "innovative" about it. Care to share?

inb4 autismo idiot
>>
>>3114064
Nothing. Saturnfags cling to it because it's the only decent game on the system
>>
>>3113651
Swinging the net was fine. It was shit like spinning the stick to double jump that really rustled me.
>>
>>3114689
u wot m8
>>
I love the infinite jump glitch with the slingshot. I recently beat the game using that trick, and it was fun as shit. It didn't even make the game that much easier, it was just hilarious to levitate and explore the levels differently.
>>
>>3114064
Can you name other 2.5D flying/acrobatics score-focused games like it?
>>
>>3113908
I always ignore the boat and just swim in every Ape Escape game
>>
>>3113908
The game suggest (I think) you rotate the sticks like you're rowing a boat, though in my experience I just tilt the sticks in the direction I want to go, like the tank.

PS also try rowing backwards for better speed.
>>
>>3114689
Oh, fuck you and your stupid agenda.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.