[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm curious about "unbeatable" enemies or games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: latest.jpg (41 KB, 500x694) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
41 KB, 500x694
I'm curious about "unbeatable" enemies or games in retro video games. I'm sure a lot of us at some point in time have called something very difficult unbeatable, but what things out there were truly impossible to achieve victory against either due to glitches or game design?
>>
>>3112519
Battletoads' 2-player if I recall.
>>
>>3112523
How so? My cousin and I never got very far on it, though I did finally manage to win alone.
>>
>>3112531
You just answered your own question tiger.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>3112543
I don't remember anything that actually stopped us from progressing beyond difficulty though.

Also, relevant to thread, these guys at this point. No, you can't actually win, as far as I know, despite the guide saying you can.
>>
>>3112531
The clinger-winger in 2-player is bugged, meaning the boss just crushes the second player. It was fixed in the Europe release.
>>
>>3112557
It's the second fight you can win but it still amounts to nothing
>>
File: skifree.png (49 KB, 740x207) Image search: [Google]
skifree.png
49 KB, 740x207
>>3112519
>>
>>3112718
Is that for real? Son of a bitch...
>>
>>3113148
yeah, I remember accidentally discovering that and flying at face melting speed, I passed by the monster like 5 times till I hit a tree and he nabbed me
>>
File: baddies14.jpg (100 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
baddies14.jpg
100 KB, 1024x768
>>3112519
This fucker right here, by design. In the original Tomb Raider, Pierre could only truly be killed once you reached the level Tomb of Tihocan, where he becomes the level's boss fight. But any time before that, and he'd be invincible against anything you threw at him. If you damage him enough, he will run away, only to later re-appear somewhere else during the most inappropriate of times. I think he once got me when Lara was low on health and Pierre suddenly showed up and decided that back shooting is fun.

Fucking awesome fashion sense, though. I want that fucking jacket. And on the positive side, if you beat him in Tihocan's tomb, you get to take his magnums.
>>
File: kane.jpg (21 KB, 540x312) Image search: [Google]
kane.jpg
21 KB, 540x312
No mention of FF2's opening? Some guy actually beat these fellows with some cheating, but the game just boots you back to start as if you hit reset. Sadly, nothing, not even some flavor text or anything out of the ordinary.
>>
File: knights.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
knights.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>3113656
Wrong image, though probably thread appropriate.
>>
>>3112718
>>3112519

once i escaped the monster without this F trick, for several minutes, usinng only the natural speed boosted by ramps, rainbows and what else there was, i was vertical and turned one or two angles opposite to the side the monster appeared from and kept doing a perfect run, and i mnaged to keep away from the monster for several screens,

well, perhaps the obstacles didnt boost speed, but allowed me to go flying and escape snowfoot's grip for a little longer... and perhaps it wasn't several minutes, but maybe 20 seconds ? but it sure felt like forever
>>
>>3113148
Yeah, but eventually, a second one will show up, and then another, and then another. They'll keep showing up until one gets you.
>>
I am reasonably sure that I remember beating the dullahan or whatever at the start of Mystic Quest

I might have been cheating
>>
>>3115608
yes every time you loop another yeti spawns, they start coming from the sides and shit, it gets intense
>>
>>3113660
I remember trying this game out and getting confused, like why is this so hard?

also, those knights are samurai, they're even holding yumi.
>>
>>3115829
theres not much direction in the game, after you get the key you need to go back and open chests, get all the gear and go to the volcano? then you're good to go. It's been so long.
>>
>>3115836

I only played the beginning before getting distracted away from it, but I'm sure I could figure it out when I get back to it. it's just that the "impossible" battle at the beginning caught me by surprise. iirc I lasted for several turns.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
My favorite is "unbeatable" bosses that you can actually beat.

Especially this one because it yields a totally different ending and turn of events that's a lot less bitter-sweet.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.