[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sega CD Model 1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: P1000848.jpg (38 KB, 487x319) Image search: [Google]
P1000848.jpg
38 KB, 487x319
What are some issues I need to be aware of with the Model 1? If I have a working unit, do I need to worry about anything going wrong with it?
>>
There's nothing to worry about. Just get yourself a copy of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Make My Video for unlimited gaming enjoyment.
>>
>>3112472
Not an expert on this, but from what I've heard the Model 1 is more prone to breaking since it has more moving parts. Namely the belt and the rest of the tray assembly. Which would probably be the reason they switched to a top-load design for the Model 2.
>>
>>3112535
If it's still working is there anyway to maintain it or make sure that doesn't happen? Or do you just have to lightly use it and not often?
>>
Just get one with a new belt. A lot of people replace them before they sell them.
>>
>>3113303
I'd rather buy one that just never broke to begin with, honestly.
>>
>>3113325
Actually, on second thought, I found a seller I may ask if he will just lower the price for a repaired one.
>>
Surface mount capacitors are overdue to leak. Expect to recap or just get an X-Eye/Wondermega instead. My broke ass Model 1 just sits on a shelf looking pretty.
>>
>>3112472
Model 1 Mega CDs tend to have leaking caps, need the gears oiled and the belt changed. Those are the most common issues IIRC.
>>
>>3112472
i used to think this was so so cool. the sewers game where you fly around the sewers.
>>
File: sewershark1.png (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sewershark1.png
54 KB, 640x480
>>3113351
this
>>
>>3113351
>>3113356
Yeah. That game is actually pretty bad, though, despite your memories.
>>
>>3113341
Looks like I can get a fixed up Model 1 with new belt, etc. for way way way way below the price of a X'Eye or Wondermega.
>>
>>3113325
Then you're just playing a waiting game until it breaks.

Better to buy one that has been repaired (or upgraded, some people replace them as a preventative measure) than to buy one that will inevitably need to be repaired.
>>
>>3113434
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that now.
>>
>>3113421
It's the caps, Man. The drive maintenance is difficulty class 3 but replacing surface mount caps is like DC 8
>>
>>3112472
Keep in mind that the connector that hooks it up to the Mega Drive can suffer from the same degredation as a cartridge slot. When those pins aren't in good condition the result ain't pretty.
>>
>>3113675
>>3113959
This shit...

Fucking SEGA CD bullshit.
>>
>>3113675
>>3113959

If you're purchasing a Model 1 Sega CD with the intent to use it often, you need a JVC Variant with the drive maintenance already done. The JVC Variant is much stronger as opposed to the Sony and actually sustainable. The Sony will decay and you will have cap issues and further issues with the pins and components.

There is no substitute, it must be the JVC Model 1.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.