[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name one thing Street Fighter III: New Generation or Second Impact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: latest[1].jpg (191 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
191 KB, 768x576
Name one thing Street Fighter III: New Generation or Second Impact did better than Third Strike.
>>
Second Impact: The music is not dogshit and the announcer is decent.
>>
Better huds and 2I's OST is the best.
>>
Hugo was supposed to be in this game but was cut due to time constraints.
>>
>>3112049
what arcade stick should I buy guys?
I plan to go on EVO
>>
>>3112049
They came out sooner.
>>
I liked New Generation's transitioning stages.
>>
better backgrounds
better sean
better ibuki
shin akuma
>>
>>3112049
All the irrelevant stuff like music and backgrounds.
>>
>>3112049
2I did quite a bit better: Some voices were better, music in general was way better, backgrounds were WAY better. Also, Sean was awesome.

NG had transitioning stages. That was cool.
>>
Widescreen support in 2i
>>
>>3112246
I think that was the only CPS3 game that had that feature. Kind of interesting. It did actually widen the playing field though, so it had an effect on gameplay.
>>
Honestly very little if any. Third Strike was just a perfect storm of good aesthetics that it makes NG and 2I look like amateur hour.

> Ikeno character art
> better VS and victory screens
> good prerendered backgrounds
> round dynamic stage themes
> ditches blue smoke background during super arts for the series iconic lightning bolt
> 3S chars like Twelve and Makoto have some really impressive animation
> much better VA
> INFINITE contributed music
>>
>>3112049
Music and backgrounds. They definitely have a more fun feel to them.
>>
If I haven't played any version of SF3, would it be beneficial to play them all in order or should I just skip to 3rd Strike?
>>
>>3112049
2nd Impact had better backgrounds.
>>
Like everything that wasn't the gameplay. BGs, Portraits, UI
>>
Sean. Fuck Capcom for turning him into something worse than Dan, who is at least designed to suck. Sean was nerfed into a depressingly lacking character.
>>
>>3112049
what other games have parry besides 3rd strike? i heard Street Fighter V has some parry but i aint spending a dime on it until they release the Ultra Street Fighter V 2nd edition or something for sale
>>
File: Soul_Edge_gameplay.jpg (45 KB, 333x249) Image search: [Google]
Soul_Edge_gameplay.jpg
45 KB, 333x249
>>3113627
Quite a lot of them.
>>
>>3113627
CVSNK 2 in P groove. You can justdefence like in Garou too.
>>
>>3113632
SFA had the alpha counter. KOF had the emergency escape thing.
>>
>>3113636
alpha counter? is that the thing where a lightning apppears onscreen? I accidentally do that and a shoryuken in Alpha 3 sometimes
>>3113630
is this an actual game?
>>3113632
sounds good
>>
>>3113648
I think you do a qcf motion to activate it after a block.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM8SfI9URYc
>>
>>3113648
The KOF thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxqOWlhCl-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uYinPgYPYY
>>
>>3113663
Oops wrong video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVqRAdiO3k
>>
>>3113668
F means forward when in the context of fighting games right? im assuming LP and LK is light punch and light kick
looking forward to trying this in fightcade if i find someone on my skill level (low)
best regards
-sage78
>>
File: 1440070496920.png (302 KB, 1192x1001) Image search: [Google]
1440070496920.png
302 KB, 1192x1001
Why was Dudley's down charge attack removed in 3S?
>>
>>3112049
The stages.
>>
>>3113820
Probably just player feedback or memory limitations. It seems to be a fair bit more useful for his SF4 incarnation.
>>
>>3113648
>is this an actual game?
Man, fuck you
>>
>>3113627
Tekken has parries, counters too. DOA has counters. Soul Calibur has Guard Impact.
>>
>>3113627
> I'm not buying SFV until they release USFV.2

It's really weird reading this sentiment on a message board for retro video games.
It's a sentiment that doesn't make any sense anyways
>>
>>3114036
Fighting games that get ported to consoles generally add a bunch of single player modes (Story, Survival, etc.) in addition to your standard Arcade mode. SFV really hasn't done this, it's basically an arcade game on console with no extra features that you would come to expect from a console port.

This is especially galling given that SFV doesn't even have an arcade release, so it doesn't have the luxury of being "arcade-perfect."
>>
I miss the Ninja Village stage
>>
>>3114057
All of those extra modes are completely superfluous and unnecessary.
>>
>>3112397
They all play a little different. Third Strike is Capcom's magnum opus imo and far and away the best of all III games. If you're looking for a game to get good at and play competitively, skip to Third Strike. If you want experience Street Fighter III and understand the evolution and progression of the games, their systems and the way they feel, play all of them.
>>
Any of y'all play Third Strike on Fightcade?
>>
>>3114090
Say this to MK fans, after Deadly Silence
>>
>>3114090
I agree with this.
You don't need anything except for online, training and local versus to enjoy fighting game.
>>
>>3114149
>Deadly ALLIANCE, sorry
>>
>>3114057
SFV is also not even a good game, SF:EX is better and actually interesting
>>
>>3114154
You mean Deception right? Deception is the one with a truck load of amazing content. I'm not sure which side you're coming from, but I can say even though MK in 3D was a god awful era, the extra content everything from the arrange mode, to mini games, to unlockables was actually enough to save the fighting system. It's almost like a different kind of fun can trump everything else as a product, rather than a "good fighting game."
>>
NG was much better at having infinities than 3S was. Prove me wrong.

2I was much better at having a broken as fuck version of Ibuki than 3S too (NG was to boot)
>>
>>3112049
The intro
>>
>>3114153
The fact that people were so outraged by 5's "lack" of content is a bad sign for the genre since devs will be forced to do superfluous things like voiced story mode if they want to avoid getting skewered by reviews.
Yeah SFV is another Capcom game that was rushed to meet the deadline of something else, but I get a good laugh when people say 16 character roster isn't worth the price.
>>
>>3114154
>mortal kart
>mortal CHESS
Nah.
>>
>>3114153
>fighting games don't need any single player modes to be enjoyed

That's retarded.
>>
>>3114369
It's 2016 moron
we have MKX, Blazblue, Guilty gear 3rd, Tekken and so on..
Beat'em up with TONS of contents, the lacking in SF5 is inexcusable
>>
>>3114429
Training mode is a single player mode.
You can use it to improve your execution, practice punishes and wakeup options, improving your game against people even further.
>>3114369
I don't want to see devs spending their time and resources making some modes for people who are not going to play the actual game anyway, when this time could be spend for balance tweaking or adding more characters/mechanics or other things. Things that are actually related to fighting game gameplay. Not gimmicks, minigames and stories.
>>
>>3114435
This, this, and so much this. No player that matters care about history modes, and if you do, it's 2016, you can play MKX, Blazblue, Guilty gear 3rd, Tekken and so on..
>>
File: weaponlord_49901_2_3.jpg (77 KB, 632x456) Image search: [Google]
weaponlord_49901_2_3.jpg
77 KB, 632x456
>>3113627
Weaponlord has a very interesting parry system.
>>
File: kof98u8.jpg (46 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
kof98u8.jpg
46 KB, 500x375
>>3112049
A larger roster is enough reason for me. Even if Q, Remy and Twelve suck, Makoto is cool and it was nice to have Chun Li back.

I just like fighting games with lots of characters.
>>
>>3114432
Misguided demand for single player content shouldn't homogenize fighting games as a genre.
>>
>>3113630
Guard Impacts are different from a parry.

Simolar principle but different result.
>>
>>3114962
Repels (GIs) and parries are both equivalent to general parrying.

>>3114758
I understand what you said up there about FG reviews, but maybe pure FG isn't a valid genre for most gamers?
>>
>>3112049
New Generation has the best backgrounds, and every stage transitions between rounds (Ibuki's stage is God tier in NG). 2nd Impact has a better UI, still the same great sages (some of them got cut down a bit though) and the best music in the series. Both NG and 2nd have better character voices (Michael Jackson Alex is awesome) That being said all the stuff that's "better" is purely visual and doesn't really affect gameplay unless you loved playing as Sean.
>>
>>3114997
Pure FG is a perfectly valid game choice, not just because of history but also psychology. Street Fighter 2 sold millions upon millions not just because Capcom had made a fun fighting game, but because the Capcom branches of Japan and the US continually collaborated with each other to update the game.

Fighting games as a genre have possibly the most bang for your buck because the positive feedback loop is so quick. You play a game in only a few minutes, have fun, so you immediately hit rematch and do it again. And you do that over and over again for hours.

With single player FG content the positive feedback loop isn't there, I'm less likely to keep playing after I've just finished a chunk of single player content. I'm sure a good chunk of people who buy NRS games never touch the game again after only just doing the story mode.
>>
>>3115738
>Fighting games as a genre have possibly the most bang for your buck because the positive feedback loop is so quick.

This and also, pretty much no matter how much you play and practice there's always going to be someone better out there that will give you a run for your money.

>I'm sure a good chunk of people who buy NRS games never touch the game again after only just doing the story mode.

I don't have a problem with this. I quite liked MK9's story mode, but I don't think content like that is necessary at all. It's fundamentally a versus genre.
>>
>>3115738

But then you have a game like soul calibur had pushed it's single player content quite well in 2/3, but attempted to go back towards a basic versus formula and lost the fanbase that it established in those two titles.

I agree that most fighting games are very good when they focus most of their efforts on the versus experience, but saying that the positive feedback loop doesn't exist in single player is sort of flawed. It existed in SC2/3, through unlocks and other things. You played through the story for new weapons, characters, items, modes, etc. This made you want to play more, so you could unlock more. That's a well documented feedback loop, used in successful franchises everywhere. It can work perfectly fine.
>>
>>3116979
I don't really play the Soul games, but from the people I know who are into 3D fighters it wasn't the lack of single player content that disappointed people with the game. Most of the complaints I heard were about the Star Wars characters. But like I say, I don't pay much attention to 3D fighters.

But I do agree that single player games can have good and rewarding feedback loops. MK9's story mode and challenge tower were kind of fun and I usually despise playing fighters against the computer.
>>
>>3112049
Impossible. Second Impact does not have Twelve. And Twelve is awesome, despite being weak as fuck.
>>
File: qchip.gif (76 KB, 143x136) Image search: [Google]
qchip.gif
76 KB, 143x136
>tfw Q will never come back
>>
>>3114090

You can't even fight the CPU in SFV
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.