[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scanlines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Excitebike_2.jpg (66 KB, 250x282) Image search: [Google]
Excitebike_2.jpg
66 KB, 250x282
If Scanlines were meant to be part of the visual display of the game, why was pixel art displayed on cartridges without scanlines?
>>
>>3108543
Furthermore, if developers created their games with scanlines IN MIND, then why does it seem as if clear pixels are the intent and that scanlines on TVs are just noise/interference over the intended image?
>>
File: 46334436.jpg (68 KB, 851x477) Image search: [Google]
46334436.jpg
68 KB, 851x477
>>3108547
Furthermore, did the Genesis do this to their games on purpose? Was it an artistic style?
>>
>>3108554
Simple lack of colors.
>>
>>3108554
Genesis only had like 500 colors to choose from, and only displayed 32, sometimes 64. Super Nintendo had over 30,000 to choose from.
>>
>>3108543
>If Scanlines were meant to be part of the visual display of the game, why was pixel art displayed on cartridges without scanlines?
because the stickers they printed the image on doesn't have scanlines.
>it seem as if clear pixels are the intent and that scanlines on TVs are just noise/interference over the intended image
it doesn't seem that way.
>>
>>3108543
There was no point in drawing scanlines in artwork, scanlines were necessary a necessary CRT display quirk that allowed games to display with minimal lag. Scanlines didn't become a thing until HD became a thing and someone noticed what games looked like without em
>>
>>3108543
Fuck off retard.
>>3108639
>Scanlines didn't become a thing until HD became a thing and someone noticed what games looked like without em
Because CRTs were the only thing that existed before HD. Ok kiddo.
>>
>>3108639
>a necessary CRT display quirk that allowed games to display with minimal lag
It has nothing to do with lag, it's a side effect of forcing 240p on a 480i CRT.
>>
>>3108560
>Genesis only had like 500 colors to choose from, and only displayed 32, sometimes 64.
>sometimes 64.

That said, this thread became bait city pretty quickly.
>>
>>3108554
dithering to make up for the palette
>>
>>3108656
How is that bait?
>>
>>3108659
>>3108554 was off-topic bait, while >>3108576 was probably samefagging since "only displayed 32, sometimes 64" is suspiciously too ignorant an answer to be believable.
>>
>>3108543
Because the pixel art wasn't meant for a CRT display, or even to be exactly accurate to what the game actually looks like. It was meant to have a much smaller gap between what the cover art presents and how the game actually looks so you avoided the whole problem of epic game covers with shitty games inside.
>>
>>3108543
Because back then we didn't have Framemeisters to add scanlines to our carts like we do today. Carts, like LCDs, don't natively produce scanlines,
>>
>>3108769
>the pixel art wasn't meant for a CRT display
explain? What else would it be shown on?
>>
>>3108774
On a printed label that goes on a cartridge. It's meant to look pixel-y because the actual game uses pixels, and the cover needed to demonstrate a rough faxsimile of how the game actually looks because using an actual photo of a real guy on a dirt bike would remind people of how Atari games did that shit and then looked like trash.

I'm not familiar with Graphic Design in the 80's, but it's probable that image wasn't even created on a computer.
>>
>>3108810
>game not supposed to be pixelated
>cartridge label supposed to show how the game looks like
???
>>
>>3109162
since when do labels ever look exactly how the game does?
even today they dont
>>
>>3108543
Scanlines are just a cheap and artificiall effect, propaganded by emulationists.

I like my games without vaseline shaders smeared all over them, thank you.
>>
>Thinking Nintendo of America labels are canon
GAIJIN GO HOME
>>
>>3108631
>it doesn't seem that way.

Please explain why the images on the cartridge are clear, clean, crisp pixels, and the image on TV are blurry with scanlines?
>>
>>3110424
>clear, clean, crisp pixels
>motion blur

Try again
>>
>>3110746
Oh shit dis argument fuckin switched up mang

WHOS GONNA WIN????
>>
>>3110424
Probably because everyone knew that, in an abstract sense, pixels were coloured squares arranged on an orthogonal grid. That's probably how they're explained in every book/article on the matter. That's how people know them.

Plus they're fucking easier to airbrush than actual phosphors emitting light with bloom, etc. You autistic shizzledizzle.
>>
>>3110746
What motion blur? There's only speedlines, which represent motion without blur.
>>
>>3111923
>pixels were coloured squares
A Pixel Is Not A Little Square
http://alvyray.com/Memos/CG/Microsoft/6_pixel.pdf
>>
>>3111937
>i said pixels WERE coloured squares
No, I said that's a common representation of them.
>>
File: 2qbhk5d.jpg (12 KB, 118x193) Image search: [Google]
2qbhk5d.jpg
12 KB, 118x193
>>3108668
Indubitably, Dr. Autismo...
>>
>>3111941
have you read your own post?
>>
>>3111945
Yes. Did you read the caveat "in an abstract sense". If that's not true then please tell me how the tools Nintendo used to design Mario's sprites didn't depict the pixels in a cartesian 2D matrix.
>>
>>3111937
This is talking about photorealistic imaging. In the case of pixel art, the pixel absolutely is a little square. That's the whole point of pixel art -- using controlled aliasing to increase perceived resolution. It's the same technique as font hinting.
>>
>>3108543
Why are you a faggot?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.