[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there actually any point in playing the Saturn SOTN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
I've killed too many hours of my life playing through this and Rondo, and there are undoubtedly some cool extras in the SS version but it's pretty annoying playing a game like this in Japanese. I can't see a translation patch for this ever happening either, it doesn't seem like anybody gives a shit about it. Hell the PS1 jpn version has a translation patch just because people hated the English voice acting enough.

Emulation wise, it runs pretty well on SFF, I haven't tried yabause yet, I've only ever tried thst on my shit computers that run linux.

It's kind of frustrating though, having to leave some pretty cool twists untouched on my end though..
>>
>>3106727
I played the saturn version first, and no, there is no point playing it over the playstation versions, unless you know japanese, or you really want to play as Maria, which won't last that long. The extra area is kinda obnoxious.

Blame SOA for not giving a shit about it, I could see myself replaying the saturn version with an english traduction.
>>
Play it just to test out the new features. The new areas and enemies are hella lame.

Some of the new items and features are kinda cool though. The dash command, the third hand, etc.

But worth it? Not really.
>>
https://www.sendspace.com/file/gsak7d

If you want something new. Level 1 saves for Sotn. Alucard is set to Level 99 with Level 1 stats. Meaning he can't level up. He has enough MP to clear the game.
>>
If you want to play as Richter or Maria without clearing Alucard's game first then the Saturn is fine. Maria's really fun and powerful. Also if you're familiar with Symphony already I doubt you'd need a patch, though it helps to be able to read if you forget to buy the key item from the librarian or something. Other than that though it's not like the story is super great with lots of narrative or something. Also luck mode is immediately available as well which I believe required a game clear in the original. Saturn also has a fight with Maria that's cooler than the PSP one because she's using her kung fu.

Just sit back and enjoy your slowdown and dither transparency.
>>
>>3106727
I recently played the Saturn version and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I like playing it on the Saturn controller. However, the Playstation version will always be "the one".
>>
Why would you even need to know Japanese to play it? It's not like you need any text whatsoever to play in Maria mode (which is really the only worthwhile thing about it), and even if you do play as Alucard all of the icons and shit are the same as the Saturn, and any halfway decent SotN fan should recognize every item from its icon alone.
>>
>>3106727
What kind of tool dislikes the english voice acting?
>>
>>3106727
I prefer the Saturn version, mostly because I don't mind the missing graphics and longer loading. The extra content and Maria mode make up for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xawnFEnlk4E
>>
The saturn version is my fav.

The fact that you can perform a double-tap running in the reverse castle, alone, makes it worth it, and that's without mentionning all the extra content and differences, and the extra content is plentiful.

You need these pages to help you with weapon names and description.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp//sotnweapons.htm

http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Librarian#Buying_Items
>>
File: wakamoto.jpg (114 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
wakamoto.jpg
114 KB, 500x460
>>3106968

I don't dislike it, but if I can choose, I'll choose the original language.
If only because of based Wakamoto
>>
>>3108892
All Hail our lord and saviour Norio Wakamoto!
All Hail Brittania!
>>
>>3108892
chiyo's dad!
>>
>>3109923
I wish I were a bird.
>>
>>3108881
>double-tap running
Doesn't matter, it's still slower than the dog's charge or the bat's wing-smash.
>>
Why is there one person in this thread talking to himself constantly under different names?
>>
>>3110162
>13/15
>one person
>>
>>3110162
>in charge of checking postdates
>>
OP

I just got to the inverted castle as Maria, what in the fuck this bitch is so broken what the fuck were the designers thinking? This is stupid fun though, I might need to do a second clear where I don't just burn every boss to death/one shot them with that dragon.

The garden area is kind of cool, I'll read up on the development of the Saturn version later. The part with the ghosts is annoying as fuck though.

I'll do Alucard next, it's a shame I can only play this on my desktop though because my chromebook tries to explode when emulating the Saturn
>>
>>3112484
>what the fuck were the designers thinking?

Saturn was done by some b-team. Everything new is rushed, and ugly, and bad.
>>
>>3112632
>Everything new is rushed, and ugly, and bad.
Saturn Maria Mode > PSP Maria Mode
>>
I would be fine with it if you didnt have to open the inventory first to open the map. Takes forever to load. So the only reason I play this version is for maria
>>
>>3112650
>Takes forever to load.
This. If there was a dedicated map button instead of a third hand it would be perfectly fine.
>>
>>3112997
Not enough buttons. Also, when closing the map you can go back to the game, you don't need to go back to the menu first.

The loading times aren't a big deal. They're akin to what you'd get in Resident Evil games on PS1 when you'd open the inventory or change camera angle. It is a thing of the era on console, the amazing thing isn't that they're there on the Saturn version, but rather that they are inexistant on PS1.
>>
>>3114437
Solution "Hold start for 1 second to open the map"
>>
>>3114443
How does that solve anything if you're waiting anyway?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.