[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Uncle works for Nintendo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10
File: Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg (22 KB, 358x447) Image search: [Google]
Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg
22 KB, 358x447
What are some retro myths, urban legends or rumors you heard/truly believed as a kid?

>Sonic is an android created by Dr.Robotnik
>If you get all the wumpa fruit in Crash Bandicoot you can unlock a fourth island
>If you collect every relic in CTR you unlock Oxide
>If you make it through Star Fox 64 without taking damage, you can play through the game again in a stronger ship as Falco
>>
My uncle really DID work for Nintendo back in the day. He worked at a help hotline and used to give me free hints for NES games whenever we'd meet up at Christmastime. He's the reason I was able to get past the Dam in TMNT.
>>
>What are some retro myths, urban legends or rumors you heard/truly believed as a kid?
Video games would never become huge and marketed to the lowest common denominator retard that should be holding a dvd remote instead of a controller.
>>
File: 1429574725336.jpg (47 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1429574725336.jpg
47 KB, 576x432
>shoot every credit in SSBM and you'll unlock Toad!
>>
>>3106548
>beat single player with Pikachu on Very Hard and 1 stock to unlock Raichu!

We tried but never got anywhere close. This was 64 btw
>>
>>3106530
video games were already huge in the early 80s, and games like pong didn't need controllers more sophisticated than a paddle

so the 'retard' is you
>>
>>3106553
Try sticking to /v/ kid. New walking sim not out yet? What about CoD?
>>
>>3106474
No bro, for real if you beat the entire game with just your starter pokemon, then start a new game and push the truck next to the SS Anne, you can catch Mew!
>>
>>3106572
what are you doing
>>
>>3106474
>>If you collect every relic in CTR you unlock Oxide
fuck fuck FUCK
>>
>>3106692
Shitposting. Just ignore it.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 500x428) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 500x428
L IS REAL 2401
>>
File: stone.png (676 KB, 818x430) Image search: [Google]
stone.png
676 KB, 818x430
>>3106474
>Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
>don't pick up the stone at the beginning of stage 4
>it increases the difficulty
Pic related
>>
>>3106474
>If you make it through Star Fox 64 without taking damage, you can play through the game again in a stronger ship as Falco

I heard this one too.
>>
File: missingno rarecandies.png (33 KB, 306x236) Image search: [Google]
missingno rarecandies.png
33 KB, 306x236
>>3106474
Bill's garden, pokegods, beating the Elite 4 99 times to unlock something. Shit like Missingno and the invisible PC made it easy to believe the games were full of hidden shit when I was ten.
>>
I remember my friend telling me his dad bought mega drive games for him from the USA (we lived in Australia), and in 1994 he was telling me he owned Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat.
He went into heaps of detail about characters and their moves too.
Same guy told me his favourite game on Mega Drive was 'bullet man' (also from USA), which was about a guy made out of bullets, and his face bullets turned into a gun which in turn then fired a huge bullet.
>>
File: ItCameFromRedAlert_Poster.jpg (105 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ItCameFromRedAlert_Poster.jpg
105 KB, 800x600
There was another guy who used to be a compulsive liar.

I told him in passing I read in a magazine that you could get a secret mission about giant ants in Red Alert. This is true, but then he told me some story about how he tried the cheat I told him about on his PC version (Even though the cheat was for the PS1 port) and he unlocked the level.
He cooked up some story about how the ants would punch tanks and some of them had jet packs or something.

Same guy also told me one day that he had played Virtua Cop 3 in '96 or something. I THINK he got confused with House of the Dead, MAYBE, or his lies were just coincidental. He said it was in the city and behind a curtain and about vampires (So pretty house of the dead sounding). He said the curtain was for secrecy, because no journalists were allowed to play the game which is why I hadn't read about it in any magazines. I asked how they knew who was a journalist and his response was 'If they see you walk in with a pad and paper, they don't let you play the game and tell you to go away".
>>
File: Dick Tracy.jpg (179 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dick Tracy.jpg
179 KB, 1280x720
>>3107542
>>3107591
Same Red Alert dude:
I spoke to him another time about Dick Tracy on Mega Drive (really hard game) and he said 'Yeah I have it on SNES, I finished it'. I said I got up to Lips Manliss but couldn't get further, and he told me that he got up to the 'Oyster Girl' who was the boss of the next level and she's really tough. It also had a seeming mis-print on the back of the box saying '1~2 Players'. I have NEVER seen any evidence of a 2 player mode of any sort existing in this game.
Anyway, he swore blind he unlocked 2 player mode, and player 2 plays as Kid. He uses a sling shot instead of a pistol, and instead of a machine gun he has Cherry Bombs.
>>
>>3107520
GameFreak should actually implement one of those rumors in a remake or game.

"If you speak to this guy 100 times and use the super rod with Gole-"
"Fuck off."
"No really, here's a video!"
"Fake."
"But you get Mew... I have a Mew!"
"So does everyone!"
>>
>if you do certain things right during the flash backs and beat certain people in the card game you can get Laguna's party to join Squall's in the present

Shit never worked obviously.
>>
File: Rukia disgust.jpg (9 KB, 205x91) Image search: [Google]
Rukia disgust.jpg
9 KB, 205x91
>>3107614
>missingno isn't even in the remakes
>>
>If you reach the end of Vanilla Dome 3, and then fly all the way back to the beginning of the level without ever touching the floor, you'll find the secret Moon World
>>
File: batman liiiiiiike.jpg (51 KB, 1246x1047) Image search: [Google]
batman liiiiiiike.jpg
51 KB, 1246x1047
>Be me, 6 years old
>Stuck in Sonic The Hedgehog on the first boss because I don't understand the concept of a "boss".
>Not aware that I need to hit him more than once. Think I'm not doing any good because no visible damage.
>Ask kid at tae kwon do for help.
>"oh yeah, he's tricky, you have to hit him three times. Then he throws a bomb so watch out".
>First Robotnik fight doesn't have any fucking bomb and you have to hit him 8 times.
>However, flagrant lie introduced the idea of hitting the boss multiple times so I just keep hitting him and win anyway.
>MFW flagrantly incorrect information from kid who clearly has no fucking clue what he's talking about still helped me progress.
>>
>>3106474
Once some guy told me that if you beat mario kart 64, 64 times, you would unlock geno and mallow from smrpg.
>>
Once in elementary school a kid told me super mario 2 is under a different title in Japan and that the real super mario 2 in Japan is way different.
>>
>>3106474
Never believed any bullshitting kids.

>>3106526
Still don't.
>>
File: 1459236341874.jpg (30 KB, 403x312) Image search: [Google]
1459236341874.jpg
30 KB, 403x312
>Friends with "that kid"
>Told me you could actually get Majora's mask
>I had to wait for an arbitrary amount of time for the Skull Kid to show up on the second day
>Had to follow Skull Kid around until it triggered a boss battle
>Defeat him and get Majora's Mask

He was so delusional that I think he even believed it. I even had the player's guide, and that motherfucker still got me.
>>
I fell for the "Luigi is in Mario 64" rumor pretty hard. I even tried multiple ways to supposedly unlock him, including swimming around the star statue 64 times.
>>
Why did kids make up rumors about this shit anyway?

I mean really. You have a chance to make friends with people that share your hobby, how do you respond? MY UNCLE WORKS FOR NINTENDO.

Sigh.
>>
The fuck is up with all these name fags lately?
>>
>>3111296
Leftovers from yesterday's april fool's joke, where literally everyone became a namefag.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.