[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
did anything of note come out of the net yaroze? i know the wonderwitch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: NetYaroze.jpg (16 KB, 560x350) Image search: [Google]
NetYaroze.jpg
16 KB, 560x350
did anything of note come out of the net yaroze? i know the wonderwitch had some incredible shit like dicing knight and judgement silversword, but you never hear anything about the ps1 homebrew devkit.
>>
Blitter Boy
Hover Racing

>but you never hear anything about the ps1 homebrew devkit.
Most people haven't even heard about the PS1 homebrew devkit. Definitely not on a board this casual.
>>
>>3105065
>Definitely not on a board this casual.
What hardcore board do you post on then, hotshot?
>>
>>3105076
>shmups forum
>>
>>3105076
>ass mad bb who thinks he's hard core cuz he r leegun.
>>
>>3105076
I don't think there's really anywhere on the internet that gives a shit about retro games anymore anon, if you're fishing around for somewhere new to lurk.

Someone will mention reddit but they're lying.
>>
>>3105104
lol r/games regularly deletes and/or downvotes into oblivion my posts about retro games. usually for a bullshit reason too. there's hardly anywhere to dicsuss obscure old shit anymore.
>>
>>3105118
I was going to say gamefaqs but just thinking about that place makes me cringe.

Maybe infinitychan?
>>
>>3105118
Here, you imbecile.
>>
>>3105172
here's slow and i'm into real obscure shit, i mainly collect and play untranslated japanese games.
>>
>>3105123
>Maybe infinitychan?

hue
>>
>>3105281
What's wrong with it outside of it being in a feud or whatever with us? I've only browsed it a few times, seems too slow to enjoy imo. Are there retro vidya boards now?
>>
I had a blast playing super bub.

It was the only game I could ever get my mom to play with me ;_;
>>
>>3105104
There is no discusion on reddit, just photos of games they purchased for high prices on ebay, but say they found at a garage sale.

>did i do good reddit?
>>
The EU scene was basically trash outside of a small number of titles.

The JP scene was both far funnier and way more polished, probably because they had far better documentation.

Christ, it was how we got Devil Dice.
>>
File: totalsoccer.jpg~original.jpg (79 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
totalsoccer.jpg~original.jpg
79 KB, 960x544
Total Soccer!
>>
>>3105010
>did anything of note come out of the net yaroze?
If it did, you can be assured that it was lost in the passages of time. You're talking about a time where people used mailing lists to communicate and Japan's shitty internet structure was even shittier than it was a couple years ago. Tho games designed were saved on memory cards, it's safe to assume that those cards rarely if ever got released online. Elevens are the stingiest jewbastards imaginable, when it comes to bandwidth usage.
>>
>>3107658
Please tell your brother we miss him. And by the way, most Net Yaroze games got into PS1 demo discs, that was their main gateway to us mortals.
>>
>>3107670
The demo discs were really only a euro thing.

I think the majority of JP stuff has been saved, though. There's a good 100+ games of varying complexity that were released online and converted into the disc format for people with modchips or emulators.
>>
>>3105010
I liked Terra Incognita and that one Alien Breed clone. Also it was pretty shitty but I played the shit out A Dog Tale.
>>
>Game code, graphics, audio samples and run-time libraries were limited to fit in the 2 MB, as Sony did not allow Net Yaroze members to burn data to CD-ROM's to be booted and run on the console

BRAVO SONY
>>
>>3107712
Who would ever think?
>>
>>3107712
You can do a lot of stuff with 2MB, but it sucks those had to include VRAM and sound too instead of loading all of it in a whole 3.5MB pool at once (and have any subsequent overwrite mean loss of what was there, obviously).
>>
>Timeslip

A time-travelling snail.

FUCKING awesome. I still play it.

Each level is set over 1 minute. After that minute the level time resets but you stay where you are but there are now 2 of you. After the 3rd minute there are 3 of you. You cannot touch your previous selves but the levels get complex where you have to stand on a switch (keep standing) to open a door so you have to think about where you will be in the future so you can let yourself in the door.

Shit graphics; awesome game.
>>
>>3105065

>slow ass isometric babby shooter
>slow ass f-zero ripoff
>implying the Net yaroze isn't Doki Doki Panic levels of "DID YOU KNOW" entry level information

You are the casual, anon
>>
There's an ISO somewhere that has a collection of pretty much all the "released" Net Yaroze games, I think there's about 50 or so on it.

If you ever bought the Official Playstation Magazine back in the day, the demo discs had Net Yaroze games on each month for a couple of years; then after the scene had died they put all of the games on one disc. It was pretty great.

There were some really clever games too actually. I remember one where you play as a snail, but you had to do stuff in the level and then time-warp to finish before your past-self caught up with you and killed you with time-space singularity. Pretty sure I can't think of another game that's done such a concept and I bet some asshole indie dev would straight up steal that idea if they knew about it.
>>
>>3107849
That iso isn't too great. There's a much better 2012 compilation with a lot more stuff, so roughly 130 games released on the internet, another 70 or so from demo discs, and all of the demos and movies that weren't actual games. Apparently there are around 70 other games that either haven't been found, or require some work to get running from an iso.
>>
Around 1:15 in this video. Always wondered what this game was, reminds me of alone in the dark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1eJSibU_vw
>>
>>3105076
/v/ obviously. Anyone who complains about it is just a casual pissbaby.
>>
>>3107825
>slow ass f-zero ripoff
It's Micro Machines, you casual nob git.
>>
>>3107916
Yakata. It was never included in the Eurodemos.
>>
>>3108512

It's an F-Zero ripoff, you casual fuckwit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jKmjZ8CHnw

The one you're thinking about is Hover Car Racing, not Hover Racing.
>>
>>3108818
>first track
Totally Not Port Town
>second track
Totally Not Red Canyon
>third track
Umm okay this one is slightly more original. I think. Any takers?
>>
>>3107825
All the Yaroze games were either ripoffs or simple stuff, it was homebrew, man. I remember I played the shit out of Psychon and that was just an Alien Breed ripoff.
>>
>>3108530
>Yakata
Thanks anon, I've been looking to name that game since I had those playstation underground disks years ago.
>>
>>3105010
I remember getting demo discs with games made on this. Only one of note was an asteroids clone that you flew around mazes, it was 2player and pretty fun.
>>
>>3109123
Gravitation, it was great. Loads of neat powerups, it's a shame you needed 2 people to play it.
>>
>>3109127
Sweet will have to find a download.
>>
>>3105076 -> >>3105104

>>3105104
>Someone will mention reddit but they're lying.
r/retrogaming is even more casual than this board could ever be. That's the nature of reddit. You'd have to dig deep and find a very elitist subreddit for some meaningful discussion.
>>
>>3105402
/vr/ is super slow, but it's nice to talk about dreamcast stuff there because of that. It's like an obscure forum but with the advantages of vichan.
Discussion is pretty entry level, but you have a few people who know their stuff and post from time to time. It's hard to "discuss" things when you don't know your shit yourself, so do yourself a favor and learn more about your retro-gaming information of choice so that you can give your sermons to the unwashed masses.
>>
>>3105010
Decaying Orbit was a good space shooter, especially considering Net Yaroze's limitations. It managed to pack speech samples and a level editor into the limited memory.

https://youtu.be/G9b6J-vuyGI?t=50
>>
>>3105010
Surprisingly little. My picks are blitter boy, total soccer (sensible soccer clone), gravitation (gravity power clone), Psychon. Terra incognita is a good achievement, bit more of a demo than a proper game.
>>
File: 1458874130101.jpg (74 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1458874130101.jpg
74 KB, 700x700
Fuck, I had a net yaroze with all the manuals and everything but had to sell it on ebay a few years back when I needed some extra money to pay bills

fucking regret that one
>>
>>3110127
We've all made mistakes like that in times of need my friend. My new policy is to never sell hardware.
>>
>>3110127
>fucking regret that one
Why? If you were using the thing to develop games, then it's not much special to work with nowadays. There are much better PS1 devkits you can find out on the internet (Psy-Q being an example).
>>
>>3110179
still a nice collectors thing to have, i do it as this guy >>3110140
>>
I loved Adventure game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYWMLQU_5G4
>>
>>3110179
>nobody is allowed to have nice things
>>
>>3105010
Mandatory reading http://gamasutra.com/view/news/255265/An_oral_history_of_Net_Yaroze_by_pioneering_console_indie_devs.php
>>
>>3113034
>i never wrote a line of line of code in my life.
>>
File: nightmare fuel.jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
nightmare fuel.jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>Clone
My first encounter with "that one lazer-sound-effect that they use in every sci-fi movie ever", so whenever i hear it in movies, i think of this game. Gave me nightmares as a child.
>Blitter Boy
Was really fun and well designed. Probably the best Net Yaroze game in my opinion.
>Adventure Game
I remember the un-fitting soundtrack. The graphics were so primitive i could barely figure out which polygon was my character.
>Sensible Soccer
Only soccer game i ever enjoyed playing. I remember you could switch off auto-dribbling which made the game completely un-playable.
>Gravitation
Awesome copy of an Amiga game. Played it in 2-player with my brother and some friends a lot. It wasn't made for single player though.
>Terra Incognita
Legit RPG although very short, the quality was superb and the music was rocking. Only JRPG styled game i ever really enjoyed.
>Between The Eyes
Like a drug trip. I still hear the tune playing in my head to this day.
>Hover Car Racing
Really solid racing game, kind of like micro-machines. The controls were really good once you learned how to drive.
>Psychon
Really cool shooting game. Kind of resembles a PC game called "Dogs" which i enjoyed a lot with a friend in co-op.

I have some nostalgia for these games, back when i played these (on european demo discs) we didn't have internet, and us children didn't even have a computer to play on, so the playstation was a huge deal, each time got the Playstation Magazine we would play the shit of the demo disc and then fawn over the list of games that would be in the next edition. We had no idea what "Net Yaroze" even was, to us it just meant "Simpler, but really fun demo games", but despite being indie-developed they turned out to be some of the most remembered Playstation games for me personally, except the obvious classics like Spyro, Crash and Resident Evil 2.
>>
>>3114873
Oops, i think i called "Total Soccer" "Sensible Soccer", which is an Amiga game. Yeah i played a lot of Amiga, forever scarred.
>>
>>3105010
there's some Net Yaroze game that reminds me alot of Hotline Miami, but I can't remember its name
>>
I liked the one where you were on a seesaw, and the one that was a 3D Pac-man clone.
And Terra Incognita of course.
>>
i have that one demo disc with 20 or so yaroze games on somewhere.

Also, Terra Incognita stole a lot of sounds from Landstalker.
>>
>>3115578
>Also, Terra Incognita stole a lot of sounds from Landstalker.

It was essentially a 3d version.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.