[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we have a phantasy star 1 thread? Talk about memories, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 604292-phanstar013.png (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
604292-phanstar013.png
39 KB, 640x480
can we have a phantasy star 1 thread?
Talk about memories, what you loved about the game, etc
>>
>>2974561
>>
File: zombie-animated.gif (120 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
zombie-animated.gif
120 KB, 500x650
>>3104492
What's the bump limit on this board? It's probably about time to jump ship to a new thread anyway.

>>3104456
PS1 has the best monsters.
>>
How is the PS2 remake?
>>
>>3106479
Pros: Faster movement speed, 8-directional movement, beating even PS4
Cons: New battle mechanics makes an easy game trivial. Art is abominable.

How come nobody has tried to remake 2 in the PS4 engine?
>>
>>3106503
You can get faster movement speed in the PS2 Phantasy Star Collection.
Also Hiragana text but no Kanji like Generation 1.
>>
>>3106510
Aggghhh, a lack of kanji makes things harder for me.
>>
>>3106510

PS1 is better than PS2 IMO.

PS1 is a much forgiving game that PS2.

PS1 even if the story is one of revenge is a more cheerful game that PS2.

Also the ending of PS2 is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE FUCK YOU after all playing such a difficult game.

PS1 gave you an happy ending.

Also 1st person view dungeons are cozy as fuck.

And PS1 battle scenes had fucking backgrounds. WTF happened with PS2?! Did they released an unfinished game?!
>>
>>3106537
>Did they released an unfinished game?!
Yeah, they actually did. PS2 was rushed and PS3 moreso.
Crazy that PS1, a 1987 game, is easily the best looking RPG of the 80's (and frankly the first few years of the 90's too.)
>>
>>3106537
They chose to show multiple (3) enemy types AND have visible characters then I guess they ran out of color palettes.
PS4 is pretty clever as the characters use the same palette as the UI, and only has 2 types of enemies at the same time if I remember well.

But yeah, as a kid who only had a Master System, seeing those PS1 battle backgrounds for the first time was breathtaking. I was really fond of Palma and Dezoris plains and forests.
>>
>>3106521
That's why I ultimately went with Generation 1 and 2.
And I thought keeping a certain thing in 2 might be cool, I didn't realize it was impossible to do without a guide.
>>
>>3106479
>>3106503
You should add that the music is fucking HORRID in Generation 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lubwf6GHSX0
Listen to this shitty music, what the fuck?

It's downright disrespectful.
>>
>>3106641
Huh, it sounds like a cheap midi remix with some default instruments. The energy from the original themes is lost.
>>
>>3106660
Yeah, sounds like they just slapped a General MIDI soundfont on there and fucked up the arrangements completely at the same time.
>>
Does anyone have scans of the various guidebooks and artbooks for PS1?
>>
>>3106628
> (3) enemy types
Only two types at once but still many more sprites onscreen.
>>
>>3106510
Did they finish the fan translation?
>>
>>3106678
For Generation 1 and 2.
The Collection comes with the American versions on the disc.
>>
>>3106641
>>3106660
>>3106661
They sound like the FM soundtrack from PS1, yet I hear so many people insisting that everyone buy/emulate the Jap version for the music.
>>
>>3106479
it's shit
>>
Why is everything about the Phantasy Star remake such a massive downgrade? The art style, the redesigns, the atmosphere, the visuals, the pacing, the easier difficulty, the handholding
What the hell happened?
>>
>>3107848
Budget.
>>
>>3107990
That can't be all, any competent team could have avoided most of those shortcomings even on a shoestring budget in the mid 90's
It seems to me that lots of reboots and remakes, in all mediums including vidya, are handed to talentless newbies as a way of training/conditioning them. Maybe that was the case here.
>>
>>3107990
Casuals.

Also the 'throw game code away' policy that Sega had. There's no Phantasy Star in the remake because Phantasy Star was destroyed well in advance.
>>
>>3108439
>Also the 'throw game code away' policy that Sega had.

WHY THEY DO THAT?
>>
>>3109464
Common Japanese practice.

They're deathly afraid of corporate espionage, apparently.

And who can blame them with how Phantasy Star 1 dungeons looked.
>>
>>3107848
quick cash grab
>>
>>3104456
The part where I got lost after getting the 4th guy, not knowing what to do with the 3 planets and had to drop the game

Really wish I had the patience for it
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.