[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vr/ think of the Everdrive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9
File: everdrives.jpg (107 KB, 884x731) Image search: [Google]
everdrives.jpg
107 KB, 884x731
What does /vr/ think of the Everdrive?
>>
I think (flash carts in general) are a good idea. Unless you're collecting or you really want that game, I don't really see a reason to pay the seller's inflated prices for an old cartridge with most likely a dead battery or corroded contacts.
>>
>>3104059
Its so goddamn expensive. On the other hand, most of the games on Genesis/megadrive i have yet to play are out of my price range. I might just go for the MegaEverdrive and stop collecting for a while
>>
>>3104598

$40 USD for the chinese version of the Genesis Everdrive on aliexpress. It even comes with an 8GB SD card that has like every game on it.
>>
>>3104059
desu familia I'd prefer to emulate than spend all the money on everdrives.
>>
>>3104059
Pretty awesome. Just stay away from the garbage chink clones.
>>
>>3104059
I have flash carts for the NES, SNES and 64. and it's basically killed my drive to collect for those systems. Which I guess is good since I shouldn't be spending the money.

The best thing about them is getting to play (most) homebrews on real hardware.
>>
>>3104678
N64 emulation is still garbage in 2016, so that one is probably justifiable for a lot of people.
>>
anyone wanna buy a powerpak off me

i'll sell it for $30+shipping
>>
>>3104809
i'd probably go for it over ebay or something
>>
>>3104828
eBay is weird about flash carts, IIRC.
>>
>>3104836
Ebay only cares if it's worded really sketchy, is modern, or gets reported.
But they are against rules. Just like the 1000s of repro carts...
>>
>>3104598
>Its so goddamn expensive
better than giving reseller scum $200+ for earthbound, etc
>>
>>3104059
>classic consoles
>have to use shitty flash drives for free games
>classic computers
>just write the games files to a cassette tape
>>
>>3104059
I got the Everdrive 64. Its good. And can also emulate NES,Gameboy,and Game Gear. Not too shabby.
I just got a Chinese SNES version. The plastic is really cheap. I gotta get a SD card, to let you know how good it works.
>>
>>3104914
Don't forget to upgrade the firmware.
>>
>>3104914

I've got the Chinese Super Everdrive. It works awesome, but of course you can't play any special games on it.

>>3104941

Don't do this.
>>
>>3104952
Yeah tonight I'll be dl/and patching all the classics.
why not upgrade. Not gonna, but gimmie the low down.
>>
>>3104872

>classic computers
>need to wait 2-5 minutes for a game to finish loading
>>
>>3104963
it bricks the knockoffs.
>>
I have an everdrive n8 and an sd2snes, which I play on a retro duo. While I really like both, what sucks is that they don't support certain games that use special chips (starfox, any snes kirby game, random nes games)
>>
>>3104990
Oh no! No instant gratification! How will we survive?
>>
File: $_35.jpg (10 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
10 KB, 300x188
>>3104990
just add ssd
>>
I'm thinking of getting a sega genesis and sms flash cart are there any games on those 2 systems that have a hard time running?
>>
>>3105765
Virtua Racing has a complex coprocessor.

A bunch of games save in a weird way that I think doesn't work on the EverDriveMD, but does work on the Mega Everdrive. Mainly EA sports games, IIRC. Most of the better ones can be patched anyway.

A few games have weird mappers that aren't supported. Only one I can remember for sure is Pier Solar, but there might be a few others.
>>
File: c641541u.jpg (280 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
c641541u.jpg
280 KB, 1280x960
>>3104872
>classic computers
>just write the games files to a cassette tape

We wound up using flash carts and/or storage adapters for classic computers anyway.

Because reliability and storage.
>>
>>3105824
Thank you
>>
>>3104598
I'm planning on selling most of my collection and trust me Everdrives are pretty cheap in comparison. I probably have thousand of dollars in my collection at this point thanks to inflation. The reason I'm planning on selling is that I'm running out of space and quite frankly it takes too much time to sort and clean my collection. By replacing my collection with a couple of Everdrives I will be able to have more real space in my game room.
>>
>>3104794
yep, N64 was my gateway because the emulation is horrible.

Just ordered china miracle MD and hoping it doesn't fucking suck. I'd have bought a Mega Everdrive if CD BIOS loading worked correctly.
>>
>>3104059
They are haram in singapoor and polis will butthurt me.
>>
>>3105994
Is there maymay everdrives for cassettes and 3 inch floppy dicks?
>>
>>3104809
>anyone wanna buy a powerpak off me
>i'll sell it for $30+shipping
Depending I which one, I might be interested. What's your email?
>>
>>3104809
>>3106659
Or email me.

blamegoy/at/gmale
>>
>>3105765
>I'm thinking of getting a sega genesis and sms flash cart are there any games on those 2 systems that have a hard time running?
I have a question. Why are you getting an SMS flash cart when the Genesis/MD flash cart supports SMS games without the adapter? Seems a bit redundant, unless you REALLY like that SMS controller with the funky d-pad.

As for the OP, Everdrives are the reason I believe we are in the golden age of gaming. Thank you Mr. Ukrainian tweeker, you're doin God's work.
>>
>>3106635

That C64 cartridge can be accessed as a cart or floppy disk, or as a cassette using that cable going to the cassette port.
>>
File: DSC_0420.jpg (807 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0420.jpg
807 KB, 3008x2000
The N8 sucks ass and can't even play Zelda (USA PRG0) correctly.

Also it won't play Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem Gaiden, or Just Breed properly. The first two have minor graphical glitches, Just Breed is unplayable. Get a powerpak and use Loopy's MMC5 mapper.

Also I got banned from the support forum when I tried to ask for help and, y'know, some support for the thing I paid $120 for (I make $10/hr).
>>
>>3106684
if you'd like I'll trade my EDN8 for it.
>>
got one, really helpful for development, being able to see your shit run on actual hardware
>>
>>3108343
I haven't heard from >>3104809 . I'm still interested if they see this. They can email me at the email posted in >>3106684
>>
>>3108342
Whoa 12 whole hours of work Krikzz sure does owe you exclusive support Wyatt.
>>
>>3109174
Krikzz is a piece of shit, shill elsewhere.
>>
>>3108342
I didn't realize it was so bad, that's brutal. Is the Powerpak any better? I've just started using my hacked Wii for everything at this point, it was $10 at a thrift store.
>>
I really am thinking about getting one for my nes and snes. which ones would you guys suggest?
>>
>>3109535
SNES depends since the Super FX games aren't compatible unless you wanna import those yet the MSU-1 chip looks interesting

NES: Yeah its not bad and I think if you have a famicom or NES modded with expansion audio it'll work great.
>>
>>3109535
SNES
>>
>>3109539
>Super FX

well, I actually have working cartridges of both starfox and yoshi island so I don't think that would really be a problem

do the rest of the games work well? is it close to the actual thing or just like it? any disadvantages at all?

also, should I simply go with a sd2snes or are there better alternatives?
>>
How is the Super Everdrive China Version? Is it worth buying?
>>
>>3109553
"China version", also known as "Console bricker".
>>
>>3108342
>Get a powerpak
I was under the impression that the PowerPak still didn't do MMC3 properly. I see people on the NESDev forums complaining that Startropics and others have graphical glitches.

>>3108342
>can't even play Zelda (USA PRG0) correctly.
Can it handle PRG1? I notice on your forum posts, you say all other versions of Zelda work fine, so why were you freaking out about one version not working when you can still play the game?

And one final question, if you are using a famicom, why did you get the NES EDN8 and not the famicom EDN8? Seems to me that adding an adapter into the mix is only asking for problems.
>>
>>3109553
It works perfectly, just like all of the Chinese versions.

Only a fucking moron would support the "real" creator and pay an extra 50 bucks per cart for battery based saving, or spend an extra 150 on the SD2SNES for slightly better compatibility when you could just buy all the non-compatible games worth playing for 20 bucks.
>>
>>3109571
>buy all the non-compatible games worth playing for 20 bucks.
Your butthurt is showing. I'll wait right here while you go get Mega Man X2 and X3 for $20 total.
>>
>>3109571
Lmao "perfectly" y'all better settle down Wyatt.

>>3109553
I haven't heard any complaints about the Super Everdrive but my Everdrive MD bootleg bricked itself rather fast. There's also some concerns about PCB thickness and general Chinese reliability.
>>
>>3109590
>I haven't heard any complaints about the Super Everdrive but my Everdrive MD bootleg bricked itself rather fast.
That's odd, I thought the MD ED was the one he contracted out for and they copied his design because China, and the MD ED was supposed to be the one good chinese ED clone. Well shit, guess I'll just get the official one then.
>>
>>3109539

I've been enjoying LttP and RPGs modded for MSU1 audio quite a bit.
>>
>>3109565
That doesn't happen. The flashcart might brick itself, but it sure as fuck won't brick your console, how stupid can you be?
>>
>>3109586
>Not understanding that you can import games from japan
>>
>>3109776
im not him but I do have a stupid question. Why are so many games from Japan much, much cheaper than their US counterparts? not sure about europe but damn, it seems everything is 30% the price if you're willing to wait a few weeks longer.
>>
>>3109776
>Rockman X2 = $25-$30
>Rockman X3 = $30-$35
Still waiting for you to get X2 and X3 for $20 total, like you originally claimed. Unless you want to move the goalposts?
>>
>>3109789

Japan doesn't have much of a reseller market to drive the prices up. You have one here or there and the various thrift stores but that's about it.

A lot of it has to do with the social stigma towards people who refuse to take up a stable regular job. This discourages "careers" like ebay reselling and even discourages people among the social norm from interacting with or buying from such shunned individuals.

Also significant is that small living spaces in general discourage big collections and hoarding.
>>
>>3109546
My bad
I'm referring to the SD2SNES since that has alot more compatibility and the MSU-1 Chip
https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility here's an semi outdated list of the games that WON'T work but i think he wrote that he is trying to find a way to ge the Super FX games to work.
>>3109651
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YuWwoeAxCk that MSU1 chip looks really awesome especially that someone ported Road Avenger on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ryLNAhZxhs Chrono trigger as well the rest don't really appeal to me unless they added the Capcom Sound Team Arranged version of MMX instead of the one they did. But to each their own.
>>
>>3109927

If you don't like the music arrangement in an MSU1 modded game you can just run the music you want through a converter and copy the files over the old ones.
>>
>>3109942
ahh I didn't know that! Thanks. If I ever get one I'll definitely do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MtTimHsSZ4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg9JmAC0IlE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywb--QsnLHA
Can't get over the fact that so amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFg9Ncsvxd0
also this isn't too shabby
>>
>>3106513
Space for what exactly? Games?
>>
>>3109792
I'm not that guy, hombre. I was just implying that you're a jackass. Thanks for verifying though.
>>
>>3109789
>>3109909
Other anon said it well, additionally I think some games were produced in higher numbers in Japan. There's just more copies of certain games floating around, and they're in a more centralized location.
>>
>>3110106
>He proved me wrong, better call him a jackass!
Maybe you shouldn't talk about things you don't really know about?
>>
>>3110112
>>3109909
Japanese people also tend to treat their possessions better, and all their resale markets show this. One of the big book resellers, Book Off, is able to make most of their used books seem like-new just by trimming the edges off the pages.
>>
>>3108342
>The N8 sucks ass
mine works fine
>>
>>3104059
Well, which Everdrive? I have two older ones, one for Mega Drive, one for SNES. and they're both very good products. The SNES one doesn't have the greatest compatibility (maybe newer versions of it do) but there's not much my old MD Everdrive won't play.
>>
File: 436643.jpg (179 KB, 1503x661) Image search: [Google]
436643.jpg
179 KB, 1503x661
Does the Everdrive replicate dank Genesis sound properly?
>>
>>3104598
Buy the clones in aliexpress, the only one you *might* need to buy original is the sd2snes for the dsp chips if you want to play games with dsp chips.
>>
>>3112324
>dsp chips if you want to play games with dsp chips

Also CX4 for MMX2+3
>>
>>3111753
No, it directly accesses the console's soundchip through the ukrainian virus wires on the cartridge and make it sound even worse.
>>
Anyone have any experience with the NES/Famicom everdrive on an actual Famicom. Does the cart emulate the expanded audio well enough?
>>
File: 51R+vXnrbpL._SL1024_.jpg (33 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
51R+vXnrbpL._SL1024_.jpg
33 KB, 1024x1024
>>3106635
herro?
>>
>>3104809
buy something that hasn't been updated once is 6-7 years? sure!
>>
>>3109927
>the rest don't really appeal to me unless they added the Capcom Sound Team Arranged version of MMX instead of the one they did
Them MAKE one faggot. Not that difficult to edit wave files, then convert them to pcm and replace the ones they did.
>>
>>3111619
>is able to make most of their used books seem like-new just by trimming the edges off the pages
that's called fraud
>>
Does anyone know if there is there an N64 ED clone on aliexpress and if so how are they? I own the EverdriveMD and love it to bits but with the Canadian exchange rate tanking I am looking for something a bit cheaper, provided that it works properly
>>
>>3112764

And yet it still has better MMC5 support than the N8.
>>
>>3112901
Mine's called the ED64 plus, it works perfectly.
>>
Would someone link some Alitexpress chinese reproduction carts? I can't seem to navigate aliexpress for some reason
>>
>>3112324
>>3112707
You two do realize you can either get the SuperED with a DSP installed, or install your own, and play the DSP games that way? The only things you are really getting from the SD2SNES right now is CX4, MSU1, OBC1(used in 1 light gun game), S-RTC(Used in 1 RPG), and ST010(used in one racing game). So, 5 more games and MSU1 capability.

Oh, and SuperFX support might get added one day. Maybe.
>>
>>3113091

No buyer's remorse here. MSU1 music mods and being able to run Road Blaster on a SNES are kind of awesome.

Also a legit copy of MMX3 costs around as much as the SD2SNES itself anyway.
>>
>>3112991

Go to the search bar and type in the game you want, like "Alien Soldier" without the quotations and then look at the search results.

Have you ever used google before?
>>
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3744.0

>guy has EDGB
>save battery is supposed to last 20+ years
>battery dies every two weeks
>sends it to Krikzz for examination/replacement
>turns out cart is Chinese clone
>another guy shows up and confirms his clone has the same problem
>explains that battery is being overloaded and fried
>major defect discovered in the Chinese version

CHINADRIVE SHILLS BTFO
>>
>>3113214

I repair retro gear and do battery swaps on the side and since shipping is so expensive here I've had a few people bring me defective EDGBs to look at in case there's an easy fix before they shell out to ship them to Ukraine.

Two of those turned out to be the same model of Chinese clone and I can confirm that the design is faulty. The way the circuit is laid out, the battery is being run across a resistor. So it's just burning all the battery power off as waste heat over the span of a couple weeks.

The resistor doesn't get hot or anything, but it still puts the battery draw at orders of magnitude more than it should be.
>>
>>3113170
Aren't there knock off flash carts? how do you search for those?
>>
>>3113309
Literally search for "everdrive". I'm with the other poster, have you EVER used google before?
>>
>>3113258
so why do EDGB need save batteries in the first place? Can you really lose your save data permanently like on a real cart? I imagine it's easier to back up with this at least but still, that sucks.
>>
>>3112764
>>>3104809
>buy something that hasn't been updated once is 6-7 years? sure!

If that poster ever actually replies to me, it won't be an issue for you. Not that you should give a fuck anyways. Piss off and stop being bitter.

Also, I think that poster is gone. Or changed his mind. Oh well.
>>
>>3113376

It uses SRAM to ensure compatibility and because it has unlimited write endurance. A game's save is only held there until you load a different game, at which point it copies the save to your SD card.
>>
>>3104059
They're a great source of nearly unlimited kek by making the hobby more accessible to underage tards.
>>
>>3113170
Fucking christ man, Of course I've tried searching that on AliExpress. I don't want to spend 110+ bucks on an NES flash cart, but there's nothing to see on AliExpress searching everdrive or powerpak. Do chinese NES everdive knock offs exist?
>>
File: edgb vs cngb.png.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
edgb vs cngb.png.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1600
>>3113214

Pic related.

See that power regulator in the bottom left corner of each PCB? It takes the 5V coming from the GB and regulates it for use in the flash cart circuitry.

On the real EDGB, this is a 5-pin regulator that can be disabled for bypass. On the fake it is a 3-pin and cannot be bypassed.

There is a reason it's supposed to have a toggleable bypass.

Real EDGB: If powered on, take power from the 5V rail, regulate it and send it to the SRAM. If powered off, disable the regulator and allow on-board battery to reach the SRAM directly through bypass.

Fake EDGB: Always regulate SRAM power whether from system power or battery. This means you're constantly leaking power in the regulator and you have a voltage drop, so in addition to that the SRAM gives out before the battery even falls below 2V.
>>
>>3113509
>Do chinese NES everdive knock offs exist?
They do but they're also the only ones with major compatibility issues.
>>
>tfw a flashcart is more expensive than just buying all the games I want

Atari Harmony cart, I'm looking at you.
>>
>>3113091
>>3113163
Super FX All In One- for the Snes google that it it has all the Super FX games in one cart but idk about the quality nor if its worth the price in case some anon might be interested in it.
>>
>>3104059
Expensive.
>>
>>3113737
>No Mega Man X 2/3

Why
>>
>>3113837
this is only the Super FX games this with the SD2SNES card might be all that you need if you want the whole SNES library at this point which supports the rest of the enhancement chips.
>>
>>3113840
Except SA1.
>>
File: J-064-S-01410-A.jpg (105 KB, 550x783) Image search: [Google]
J-064-S-01410-A.jpg
105 KB, 550x783
Anyone happen to know if the English-patched version of Wonder Project J2 works with an Everdrive?
>>
>>3115875
I have a 2nd version Everdrive and it works, haven't played trough all the game tough...
>>
>>3104059

>pay 120+ dollars for several games or 120+ dollars for a console's entire library

There's no reason not to use a flashcart unless you're a collector.
>>
>>3106547
Link to knockoff N64 MD?
>>
File: Josette.webm (1 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Josette.webm
1 MB, 640x480
>>3115964

You should anon it's great simulation game
>>
>>3115964
Same here!
>>
>>3116520
>There's no reason to use a flashcart unless you're monolingual poorchild
FTFYK
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.