[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /vr/ lower it's expectations accordingly? Like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: 1409867600949.jpg (930 KB, 957x4590) Image search: [Google]
1409867600949.jpg
930 KB, 957x4590
How does /vr/ lower it's expectations accordingly? Like how do you get yourself into the retro mindset? Do you have trouble going back and forth?

Games have certainly gotten easier and more shallow, but I have a hard time immersing myself into old games, even from my childhood. I want to real bad though.
>>
I don't. Either you have the retro mindset or you don't.

>fite me
>>
I don't have expectations.
>>
>>3103836
I just like them. No mindset or prep. Pop the game in and play. Revisiting some of my childhood faves can be dissapointing though.

Biggest issue I have is I will go on benders playing through entire retro games then when I go to play some Gt6 or something with friends it seems like it is taking forrrrrrreverrrrrrrr to load. gta5 takes so long I thought it was broken.
>>
>>3103836
I'm not gonna go for the generic "IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE GUIZE xD" but it's more that I try to see graphics and gameplay as stylistic choices (even though they're more about limitations when it comes to retro games). Inside a particular context and time frame, certain games were very good. Others, not so much. So I try to just either think of myself in that certain context, or I just forget that games exist other than the one I'm playing (unless I notice inspired elements or resemblances), which is known as IMMERSION.
>>
>>3103836
Sounds like playing old games isn't for you. Give it up.
>>
>>3103881
That's something I enjoy, actually; the artistic choices made due to limitations.

Isn't it fascinating how the only reason mario has a hat is because hair was difficult to draw accurately on a sprite? It's the most iconic thing for the plumber nowadays.
>>
>>3103836
There's only one "pure" way to enjoy 4th gen.
Buy early 90s magazines, get a pair of California hardwear pants, l.a. lights shoes, a hypercolor or gotcha! shirt. Sweatbands, painters cap, volleyball cap, or a visor. Have your mom come over and interrupt you every so often. Turn off the cellphone and hide it and the computer(s)

Watch a few reruns of knight rider, mcguyver. Star trek tng or quantum leap. Do some elementary school homework with nothing but a pencil and a pad of paper. Call your friends when you beat a game. Go to bed at 10pm.

Any other method is objectively wrong.
>>
Some new games are cool. Not many though, you got to really dig. It's hard to play retro games, when you have got use to chatting it up and playing with a lot of people together.
>>
>>3103881
children and autists do not understand this concept
>>
>>3103909
>volleyball cap
>>
>the best emulator is epsxe
fucking triggered. go download mednafen you fucking pleb. epsxe is garbage.
>>
>>3104003
why? And is there a simple configure process for mednafen?
>>
The only thing that requires lowered expectations are the posts in this board
>>
>>3104028

Underrated post.

At any rate OP, my advice is that maybe you should take a break from games in general. There is no retro mindset. Only a gaming mindset.
>>
>>3104091
But how will I ignore the crippling depression?
>>
File: 1451883752215.jpg (73 KB, 780x453) Image search: [Google]
1451883752215.jpg
73 KB, 780x453
>>3104096

-shrug-

I don't know. Therapy, more sunlight, more nutritious food, LIGHT excercise.Then work your video game time in once you start to feel better.

Games aren't going to help you. Neither will shitposting.
>>
>>3104096
>>3104102
Also better sleep and hydration. There are many potential causes for depression, but make sure to combat the physical symptoms until you can get real help.
>>
>>3103836
I know you reference your childhood, but having this issue really reads like someone who is approaching older games as an outsider, as someone who views them as novel relics or something. If you are viewing them this way, trying to play them because there is a fad going on or something, then maybe certain games just aren't for you. I was born in the late 80s and feel no disconnect from older games. I just view them as games, not as something that needs a special mindset.
>>
>>3103836
I believe we always have it, but that it gets mixed up when we bring it online sometimes. Other people's opinions can go a long way, positive or negative impressions can go a long way to influence the magic and mystery most of us want to feel when playing these games. Also sometimes the fact we still play modern games can interfere with our perception of "progress", in good or bad ways. "New games are geting too shallow!" may be true, but then we look to older ones a little more highly than we should. "New games are so improved" may also technically be true in some areas, but it means we look back a little more harshly than we should.

The long and short of what I mean is that I think if we stayed a lot more neutral and cut out what other people say, both about the modern state of games and for the most part retro games, we'd have it back again. I'd say just drop the social aspect of gaming, finish some older games and then go online to talk about it, without looking anything up.
>>
>>3103836
I only have this problem with Super Nintendo RPGs. I loved them as a kid, but I just can not get back into Chrono Trigger or FFVI like I used to.. like at all. All the games in the OP, though, are gold to me, even if some of them (like Suikoden) have terrible graphics because the stories, the gameplay and the controls never age.
What do you play now?
>>
File: 5 panel hat.jpg (136 KB, 640x390) Image search: [Google]
5 panel hat.jpg
136 KB, 640x390
>>3103998
I guess the correct term is 5 panel hat but these are what I always saw beach volleyball players wearing.

You'd know what I was talking about if you were alive then though.
>>
>>3104096

Alcohol and/or inevitable suicide after losing touch with friends and family because "you're not fun to be around when you're so angry"
>>
File: 1453883604189.png (223 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
1453883604189.png
223 KB, 800x1280
>>3103836
Like others, I don't lower expectations. I genuinely love retro video games, often because I find the focus to be more on mechanics. For me game mechanics are everything.

Anyway, one key difference between now and then is we have over 9000 times the number of distractions now. When I was a kid a new video game was a huge fucking deal, something that happened only once or twice a year. Now you can download 10s of thousands of free games from Google Play at any moment.

I think to get in the retro mind set, you need to choose a game you think looks rad, and limit yourself to just that game for a while. When you get stuck, keep trying. When you game over, keep trying. When you get sick of it, put it down, but don't pick a different game up. Don't use savestates. Don't cheat. Limit yourself to the amount you read about the game to a manual and maybe some old vidya rags. Maybe find a game that requires you to take notes or draw a map. Catch-22: for easy mode, find 2p game and a friend.

In this way you can experience some of the discovery and accomplishment that made retro gaming important when it wasn't retro.

Suggestions:
For instance, a game I really, REALLY, got into was NetHack. Extremely deep game that I've taken over 2500+ lines of notes on.

Try an infocom text game, like "Planetfall", "Stationfall", "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", "Zork","Zork II", "A Mind Forever Voyaging", etc. Working through a text game requires a lot more imagination than typical video games.

Metroid for NES can be fun if you (surprise) draw a map.

Tetris Attack for SNES on vs. against a friend or CPU is electronic crack-cocaine.

Fun shit, like Kirby's Adventure for NES. It's impossible to hate that game.

Reading back over this, I guess the common theme is "Put effort into your games, man."
>>
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 213x160) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 213x160
>>3105569
>>
>>3103836
I don't lower my expectations

Commit yourself to a game, sort of like >>3105569 says.

That is, set yourself up with a single game for a long stretch. Don't use emulator functions like speed up or save state, just play it 'as it was'. It helps if you have access to the physical cart and just play that, since it'll keep you from figiting with the romlist or taking the safe way out with a save/load state.

If you just block shit out and play a game, it's not hard once you get used to it. If you haven't done that in a while, it can be rough at first, similar to reading your first novel in years.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.