[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the PS1 fallen victim to retro price gouging yet? Are there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: ps1+console.png (197 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
ps1+console.png
197 KB, 800x480
Has the PS1 fallen victim to retro price gouging yet?

Are there any consoles that haven't?
>>
>>3099820
>Has the PS1 fallen victim to retro price gouging yet?
Not yet i guess.
>Are there any consoles that haven't?
Atari 2600
>>
Only for certain games. The majority of PS1 titles are still reasonably priced.
>>
Where do you guys buy US Ps1 games?
Here in Europe Ps1 has been expensive as fuck for years, with the infamous FFVII as a classic example.
>>
>>3099868
How much does it go for there? I bought mine for $40 (green label) after determining that it was the cheapest in my city.
>>
>>3099837
>Atari 2600
Heavy Sixers usually cost somewhere around $150-$200.
>>
>>3099879
You mean the PS1? The console it's cheap as fuck (20€ or less), but the games can be really expensive.
>>
>>3099884
Those models are pretty rare though. If you want a four switcher you're looking at maybe $30.

I bought mine on eBay for $100 3 years ago and I still cry about it
>>
It hasn't, but due to disc rot you're still running out of time.
>>
>>3099920
>due to disc rot
top kek
>>
>>3099920
It literally takes like 200 years for disc rot to happen
>>
The first party titles like Spyro and CTR are cheaper to buy on the PlayStation Store.
>>
Been expensive games for years now.
PS1 just had large print runs on the games that people actually want.
>>
>>3099935
Tell that to the laserdisc community. Disc rot is real.
>>
There's some that are definitely not worth paying the price, Tron Bonne, Valk. Profile, other bullshit. It definitely hasn't been raped by the Jews as hard as NES though. Just wait a couple more years.
>>
>>3101627
>There's some that are definitely not worth paying the price
>proceeds to list some of the best games on the system
>>
>>3101572
Disc rot is definitely real and tangibile, my dad, who is a bit of an audiophile, has many '82 CDs that are perfect, but some of the 90's have a bit of disc rot (mainly oxidation on reflective material, and were always stored correctly). On audioCDs is bad, but the disc for the most parte goes on with jitter and jumps, but with data CDs I think there is the possibility of discs not working. Probably is a matter of quality control, but I don't think many PS discs can survive 50 years.
>>
>>3101572
LDs are prone to disc rot because of the way they're manufactured, and it happens to cheaper discs more often than the better made ones.
>>
>>3099820
>Has the PS1 fallen victim to retro price gouging yet?
Probably not, how many did they sell? 100mil units?

>Are there any consoles that haven't?
2600 sold like 40mil units, you can find those everywhere, also there isn't as much collecting with those, you can often find the games sold in buckets and usually you'll never pay more than 10usd for an even remotely common game, but most never exceed 2.50

Gameboy sold like 114mil units which is fucking amazing for a handheld, these are easy to find too, on top of that, there is the Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance, they had good libraries in their own right (as well as being hot sellers), but they will also play original Gameboy games, so there is absolutely no shortage of units to play those games on.

If you want to play the rarer games without mortaging your house, or if you don't give a shit about collecting, consider flashcarts, that can save you a lot of money (and space!) in the longer run.

The PS can have a modchip installed to play games burned onto regular CDs, so that's another thing to consider.
>>
>>3101572
>>3101657
AFAIK disc rot is commonly traced to bad production methods and bad storage, there are specific years for laserdisc (and similar formats) where bad production and storage practices lead to lower quality and damaged goods, some movies on some formats are therefore more likely to experience premature disc rot.

If you take even remotely good care of your CDs and store them in such a way as to keep them out of direct sunlight and away from moisture, they should outlive you.
With the exception of known bad batches.
>>
>>3101667
Sure, the problem is pratically not there for good quality discs properly stored. But we are talking about games, which are not always treated well, and with mass-produced supports that have always had highs and lows on quality control. I don't say that ALL PS discs will die soon, but probably many will not pass their 50/60th birthday. We will see in the future. Luckily, PS have modchips and can take burned CDs.
>>
File: 1446329569198.jpg (34 KB, 397x359) Image search: [Google]
1446329569198.jpg
34 KB, 397x359
>>3101572
Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>3101743
>>3101667
>>3101657
>>3101572
>Disc rot boogeyman

Fyi if this was any real concern you'd hear about.
Every time you do hear about it it's laser discs with a shitty production run.

This isn't shit that happened years later. These laser discs looked like shit out of the sleeve or very soon after.

For printed CDs it's practically unheard of. I think people are confusing cloudy spots with "disc rot". It's just a manufacturer defect and effects nothing. I have modern games with it. Came out of the box like that. Another common misconception is confusing the round spots left on many CDs as "disc rot" Again it's a manufacturing defect from the CDs being picked up the by the carriers in the factory. Again effects nothing about how the CD plays.

Who knows what will happen in 50 years. Maybe the CDs will just turn to sand. I highly doubt the CDs will be dead. Now the lasers on the other hand are a different story. China is cloning PlayStation lasers but of course are shit. And there's the CD emulators.
>>
>tfw unable to find Crash Bandicoot for a reasonable price
>>
i have a ps1 and a 2 ps2s. i like to always have backups of these systems, is there a reason i should collect more ps1s if i own these already?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.