[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: rhapsody.jpg (121 KB, 453x640) Image search: [Google]
rhapsody.jpg
121 KB, 453x640
I just beat Rhapsody. Overall, I am terribly disappointed in what a lazy game it is. In addition to not being challenging (I know it's a game geared for little girls, but so was the Sailor Moon RPG from the 90s and that was a decent challenge), its NPCs are laughably homogeneous, its dungeons are completely interchangeable copy & paste bullshit, and for a "musical adventure," its music is repetitive and unremarkable as fuck. Never mind some of the shitty messages it sends to female players (weighing 100 pounds makes the protagonist the butt of multiple "chubby" jokes, 90 pounds is considered "svelt"). There are dozens and dozens of recruitable monsters and puppets, but none of them are necessary for advancement and so far there have been very few effects on the plot or real reason to go out of the way for them. It feels like an unfinished game.

Its humor is pretty wacky/good and there are several easter eggs laid in good spirit meant to rib a player who has been through a JRPG before, so it's not a total drag, but it is pretty much a chore after a certain point and the ending didn't make up for it.

Wikipedia claims the sequel has been fan translated, but I'm not finding anything about it online.

What are your thoughts on Rhapsody and have you played any of the other Marl Kingdom games?
>>
>>3099562
You can literally mash O (auto-resolve) for every single battle except one, where you need to count 6 turns before killing the thing.

It's a bad game. I don't think you'll hear otherwise. It has "charm" but it's that Nippon Ichi charm that often comes off as cringe inducing instead.
>>
>>3099572
Oh, wow. I forgot about auto-resolve. Heh. I can't believe i could have made battles even more boring than they were.
>>
>>3099562
It's for little grills. And ecchi doujins.
>>
>>3099713
>ecchi

SHE'S 16 DUDE
>>
>>3099749
Rule 34 or danbooru it. I ain't kidding. And 16 is legal in Nihon and Saudi Arabia!
>>
>>3099749
It's not that old dude.
>>
>>3099749
Lol Clapistan.
>>
File: 1224678450609.png (521 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
1224678450609.png
521 KB, 800x592
>>3099749
>SHE'S 16 DUDE
>>
>>3099749
Little old, but I'll manage.
>>
>>3099562
It's great, I love it to bits. 11/10 would play again.
>>
Has anyone played the other Marl games?
>>
>>3099993
What other games would you suggest if one enjoyed Rhapsody?
>>
>>3099562
Game was comfy as fuck. I thought it was a cute little rpg you could play and enjoy over a weekend or two.
>>
The game's western reputation benefits from being a relatively early full-blown animu weeb game in a time where we were just getting out of the dark ages when localizers did all they possibly could to hide the existence of anime.
>>
>>3100198
I totally got this. It made me wish so fucking badly that I had played it when it was fresh. Probably would have knocked my socks right the fuck off.
>>
>>3100179
Eroges and learn moon.
>>
This board is dead.
>>
>>3100367
You son of a bitch. I googled that.

>>3100589
???
>>
>>3099562
I like the english dub

It's like a cheesy as fuck old disney movie.

Otherwise probably go for jap if you don't want to be laughing your ass off at the songs.
>>
File: 2011-11-09-451219.jpg (166 KB, 1000x796) Image search: [Google]
2011-11-09-451219.jpg
166 KB, 1000x796
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/576455-little-princess-maru-oukoku-no-ningyou-hime-2/faqs/43034

This is the translation
>>
Which version is best, DS or PS version?
>>
>>3101851
I tried jap briefly, but the singing voices are awful. The lyrics in english might be as schmaltzy as they can get, but it works for the game, and the singer's voice is indeed quite nice
>>
>>3099970
Damn you sig fug
Can I be yer friend?
>>
>>3099562
I wasn't impressed with it either OP. I read for years how it was really awesome and eventually bit the bullet and paid $70 for it so you can imagine my suffering. I beat it in a couple nights and never even came close to dying. That's about all I remember. It was advertised as an RPG but it barely counted imo. There was no real depth to it and iirc it had a grid based movement but there was no strategy there either. Very shallow game, and I think I sold it for like $40 so at least I recouped some of the loss.

Full disclosure I learned about it and played it after Disgaea, so I guess I was expecting Disgaea levels of depth to it which I was very disappointed it did not have.
>>
>>3101904
I wanna spread my Ai's creem all over those thighs if you knew wot I meant.
>>
About "dozens of recruitable monsters and puppets", I started playing the game knowing that, but I managed to finish the whole thing with the initial team (egg with axe, puppet girl and bear?) and never even found another monster. My cousin played the game after me, and the first monster he found was totally different from mine.
>>
>>3101904
Well that's pretty fucking lame. Are you to just print it out and keep it on my lap while I play through the fucker? FFVII has at least 5 fan translation "romhacks" but this doesn't even have one when the script is just lying there? FUCK.
>>
File: Peace Close Fac3e.jpg (36 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Peace Close Fac3e.jpg
36 KB, 500x375
>>3102057
Jesus Christ, how horrifying. I thank God for emulation every day. Peace be with you, Anon.
>>
File: marjoly 23351616.jpg (211 KB, 1256x992) Image search: [Google]
marjoly 23351616.jpg
211 KB, 1256x992
At least it had Marjoly.
>>
>>3104651
I just started Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness because I read it has Marjorly.
>>
I recently started playing this game on my PSP now that I can emulate PS1 games. So far I think the story and characters are cute and charming. But I do agree some of the stuff doesn't seem very polished.

It's an absolute chore to level up a new puppet or monster from level 1 to get it up to the rest of the party. I wish they were recruited as the level you defeated them in battle that way Cornet doesn't scale up so many levels that she can wipe out everything in one hit.

I'm fine with the copy pasting maps for the most part. The only time it really bothered me was when I was in a dungeon level and everything looked so similar it was hard keeping track of where you were.

Aside from those minor complaints I have been enjoying the game a lot so far.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.