[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about the Oddworld series? Played the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: abe.jpg (104 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
abe.jpg
104 KB, 600x600
What do you guys think about the Oddworld series? Played the shit out of it as a kid, just recently picked it up. I've heard some negative things about New n' Tasty
>>
>Oddysee
amazing
>Exoddus
FUCKING AMAZING
>everything else they ever made
what happened???????

In all seriousness, the two games have great atmosphere and a unique game mechanic. It's as if every single scene is polished to the pixel.
Also, while this is an entirely personal opinion, Oddysee and Exoddus are one of the few games that have aged so well that no matter how often I return to them they always blow me away.
>>
File: CAAE0005[1].jpg (17 KB, 380x486) Image search: [Google]
CAAE0005[1].jpg
17 KB, 380x486
>>3098818
>>3098837

The two first games hold the trophy for most vivid concept art ever.

http://oddworldlibrary.net/archives/togg/

I want that fucking artbook, fuck.
>>
>>3098837
>>everything else they ever made
>what happened???????

>not liking stranger's wrath
I don't like you too.
>>
I have very fond memories of this game. I used to play this all the time with my best friend when we were young. Her and I would usually take turns when the other person died.

Such a classic gem.
>>
>>3098883
it was -good-, i give you that, but not AMAZING in my opinion.

Both Oddworld Adventures and the GBA Munch were dog shit though. No opinion on XBOX munch because never played it.
But those are not retro anyway
>>
>>3098837
>what happened???????

They put the next game on shitbox and made it 3D
>>
>>3098837
>stranger's wrath
>shit
Dam son, you are SO wrong
>>
>>3098930
hey man i didn't say it was shit, the only thing I implied it didn't give (me personally) the same "holy fucking shit" vibes the first two Abes did.

It's a great game.
>>
>>3098930
Am I crazy when I say Strangers Wrath is one of my favorite shooters ever?

Also I've not hated a single oddworld game. The remakes are *ok* but theres none of.. that magic to them like the ps1 games.
>>
Checkpoint in Oddysee are awful. Having to replay hidden areas if you die sucks. Everything else is good.
>>
>>3099013
Exoddus went too far the other way. Absolutely no punishment for fucking up.
>>
>>3099112
At least there was "Restart Path" if you save-fucked yourself. But I remember the paths weren't that long anyway.
>>
>>3098930
It's a shootemup, not a platformer.

It's different so it's bad. They should've given it a different name than the rest of the oddworld series.
>>
Oddyssey and Exodus are amazing, I love them.
>>
New N' Tasty wasn't that bad. HD graphics, more Mudokons and secrets to discover. They did what they had to.
>>
>>3099482
They didn't have to use an evanescence song for the credits

Or jam in a lot of distracting advertising that flies in the face of the game's message

The controls are pretty good though.
>>
>>3099487

I played this just over a year ago and I don't remember any distracting advertising. What are you talking about?

My main issue with the game was that I encountered a couple of bugs here and there, with Abe getting stuck in the background and stuff like that. It was rare, and they may have patched it out by now, but nothing like that ever happed in the original game, and I played that several times.
>>
>>3099524
I didn't personally play it but I also heard from more than one person that the game shits advertising in your face.
>>
>>3098837
Stranger's Wrath was great though. Munch's was the shitty one.
>>
>>3098837
>what happened

they decided to genre swap for no reason whatsoever.
>>
>>3099487
>The controls are pretty good though.
I thought I heard there was no run toggle. Does it not matter in the remake?
>>
>>3099524
My bad, they patched the ads out. They were pretty bad when it came out. Bunch of self-serving wankery for the "indie community"
>>3101784
IIRC they also patched in an option for the classic control scheme. Kudos to JAW for being able to take criticism in stride, but I still don't agree at all with what they've done to the aesthetics of the game
>>
>>3098818
First one was great, second one was p cool, and I never played anything after
>>
I just want them to release another Abe game in the classic style of the first two. Add more mudokons to save, more creatures to possess, more of everything basically and generally build on the features brought in by Exoddus (maybe replace the quicksaving with more frequent checkpoints though). I would be throwing my money at them if they did this.

The weird thing is that they were originally planning a quintology of 5 games, yet they only ever got around to making 4. Even weirder is that only the Oddysee titles count towards the quintology and Abe's Exoddus and Stranger's Wrath apparently are considered 'bonus games'. I'd be pretty happy if they finished off the quintology with a bunch of Abe-like games, even if they didn't actually have Abe in them. But this, of course, is probably never going to happen and I'm just making myself sad thinking about it.
>>
>>3101847
Aesthetics seem fine to me, if a bit more "open" than what they were in the original. What you got against them?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.