[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Silent Hill 1 thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: otherworld 1-620x.jpg (48 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
otherworld 1-620x.jpg
48 KB, 620x350
Why is there any doubt that this is the scariest game ever made? It is the true greatest horror game ever made. It is also the best in it's series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5s5s_30n_s
>>
I don't even like horror films but I love silent hill. Weird.
>>
>>3097465
It's one of the scariest games ever. And yeah I think it is the best of the series. 3 might be close behind in both categories though.
>>
>>3097469
>>3097480
That beginning sequence is still amazing to this day. It pretty much nailed what the series was all about compared to it's competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqX423zGycY
>>
>>3097465
>Why is there any doubt that this is the scariest game ever made?

There actually is? No other game gets down the feel of pure terror as SH1 does.
>>
The first game has always been my favourite ,none of the other games were quite as unsettling as the first ,probably the scariest game I've played and more scary than any movie I've seen.
>>
File: kot blini.jpg (177 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
kot blini.jpg
177 KB, 1124x1024
>>3097694
I definitely agree here. It has perfect horror atmosphere.
>>
>>3097694
You can definitely tell the first game is inspired by Jacob's Ladder.
>>
>>3097694
same with you fampai. all of the changes between is this real or dream and Cibyl adressing this issues. I love it.
>>
>>3097508
>No other game gets down the feel of pure terror as SH1 does.
The only game I've played that felt at all scary was Descent 1, when I was lost in the mine with the reactor about to explode.

3rd person is not scary because you're obviously not the character. 1st person with freelook is not scary because you whip your mouse about so fast it feels more like an abstract puzzle than a real environment. Only 1st person with limited movement can be scary, and Descent 1 gets it right. Descent 2 loses all the scariness by adding the Guide Bot.
>>
File: noface.jpg (37 KB, 536x287) Image search: [Google]
noface.jpg
37 KB, 536x287
>Hadn't played it since renting it from Blockbuster back in the day
>Having a good time, nothing really spooking me so far
>Get to the first part with those ape things outside
>Approach it slowly to see if I can melee them
>It turns around and bolts at me at mach 5
>>
>>3098378
I think I remember those enemies. SH1 was full of fast moving enemies. Running through the town was so fun because of this.
>>
There are games that give me a fully sickening feeling of helplessness I'd say White Day is the queen of that shit although games like Clock Tower, Hellnight and RE:Nemesis also do it and although it could be argued that it's "scarier" I don't care for it. At least in Silent Hill I can whip around a steel pipe exactly like I would actually do in that situation so I RELATE to that character far better than the completely helpless protags of a slightly different type of game.
>>
>>3097465
This was the first vidya I can remember giving me an emotional experience. Basically, I almost cried when Lisa "dies"
>>
>>3097465
>Why is there any doubt that this is the scariest game ever made?

Because P.T.
>>
File: 20131015083144.jpg (68 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
20131015083144.jpg
68 KB, 800x600
>>3099440
That wasn't even a full game though. In fact many people were even thinking that whatever game Kojima was going to make with Del Toro it might have even been completely different from PT.
>>
File: CLOSE THE LID.jpg (197 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CLOSE THE LID.jpg
197 KB, 2048x1536
>>3099432
I second Clock Tower as a legit scary game. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't played it. Both the PSX and SFC games are worth it, but stay away from CT: Ghost Head and CT3 (PS2, Capcom).
>>3099436
I cried like a bitch ass baby when Lisa "died" and I'm still not over it nor the fact that it's implied she's being tortured for eternity in SH3.
>>
It's funny how these threads have started popping up lately. I just started playing this game again after a good 10+ years and it's even better than I remembered!
>>
>>3099569
>the fact that it's implied she's being tortured for eternity in SH3

what? where?
>>
>>3099569
I like Ghost Head
>>
If you liked SH, check out Siren on PS2, it was made by the same lead designer.
>>
>>3099679
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Lisa_Garland
Ito has contradicted himself before. Some information implies that Lisa is the Fukuro Lady dragged around by Vitel, other info suggests the Brookfield Nurse.

>>3099708
That's cute. I'm very sorry.
>>
>>3099569
I played Clock Tower(the first one) for the first time last night. I haven't been scared by a game for years but this did it. The tension of being chased my scizor pepe is more effective than I thought I would be.
>>
>>3098357
>all this retardation in a single post
Psst, Descent fucking sucks.
>>
>>3101710
This makes me happy. :) I was lucky to have discovered Clock Tower (PSX) at age 12, it scared me into being afraid to be home alone for a long, long time. I lost sleep over it. I will never recapture that level of fear, but I'm glad it's having an affect on you.

The First Fear (SFC) or Clock Tower on PSX?
>>
>>3101807
The SNES version I think. It's on a modded Wii.
>>
File: SH.png (99 KB, 558x435) Image search: [Google]
SH.png
99 KB, 558x435
>>3097465
I decided to play all silent hill games and I played SH recently for the first time,pic related is my score.I also finished SH2 which I didnt like as much and starting SH3 tonight.
Some anon said I will enjoy it more than the second.
>>
File: SH2.png (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SH2.png
115 KB, 1280x720
>>3102114
I know,very weak score but im rusty haven't played games in 5 years.
>>
>>3098357
>>3097465
>>3099440
CoC Dark Corners of the Earth wants to speak with you.
>>
>>3102132
Been there, done that. The scariest part of CoC is the feeling of dread coming up to the fight with the sorcerers on the shore and not knowing whether or not the game is gonna break itself and force you start from scratch because bugs.
>>
>>3099725
Looks good I will try it out
>>
File: 1422756303524.gif (112 KB, 255x231) Image search: [Google]
1422756303524.gif
112 KB, 255x231
>>3097465
I think it's mostly the PS1 graphics, older graphics always scare me so damn much.

I think it's mostly because it activates some kind of uncanny valley response in my brain. Retro horror games are the only that have a mild effect on me.
>>
>>3102114
>easy

SH2 is a spinoff. it's most people's favorite because it's their first SH experience, usually.

SH3 is a direct sequel to the first. if you liked it better then you'll probably enjoy SH3.
>>
>>3102147
>coming up to the fight with the sorcerers on the shore and not knowing whether or not the game is gonna break itself
Literally my exact experience
>>
I loved silent hill. But... today it annoys me a lot that the game has the need to change resolutions every time I open the map or the menu. In an old CRT is not a problem, but in a new tv it is. It goes from 240p to 480i, all the time.
>>
>>3102556
This is why I play my retro games on a CRT TV.
>>
>>3097465
You just reminded me to play through these OP. Been going through Resi recently so I'll get to it next.

What about Dino Crisis doe?
>>
>>3102556
you should be emulating it. SH benefits greatly from widescreen hacks if you can look past the flashlight bug, which is really minor. even rendered at its original resolution. I actually prefer it than super-sharp polygons.

I made these .GIFs showing the game running under BladeSoft ages ago. wish I'd saved it.
>>
>>3102184
This. Poor graphics make for some spooky enemies. You compare the cyborg midwife from SS2 with the grunt from amnesia, the midwife is by far spookier
>>
>>3102556
Yeah this really does suck. This is why you should always have at least one tube tv in the house. You can always emulate the games to.

I really wish Konami didn't fuck up the damn HD collection. I really wish they also included 1 and 4. It's such a shame that it will go down as the worst HD collection ever made.
>>
>>3097465
The whole beginning nightmare sequence was actually the best part of the game.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.