[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How resellers clean game cartridges
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: dremel.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
dremel.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09KkY7evdlo
>>
I thought it was a troll. Then I saw the 30,490 viewed with mostly likes.God damn. I notice that most (not all) the n64 assholes are mega douche bags when it comes to selling on ebay. Everything is a super rare and valuable game with them.
>>
>>3096904
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>3096983
Leave.
>>
>>3096904
Oh lordy, this was like watching an open-body surgery. I was feeling just as sick & squeamish watching this.
>>
That's why I won't buy games where I can't see the pins.

So many morons think that "if contacts are not bright silver, they are dirty"
>>
That guy even bare-hand grabs the chips/solder points. No anti-static bracelet, no gloves, just fuck-all. Even if the contacts don't go to shit in near time, hand oils will destroy that board.
>>
>>3097036
As long as you just touch a ground from time to time that's all you really need. Even that doesn't matter much. But if you're going to remove chips sure. Just picking up a pcb by the ground plane? Ya I'm not wasting the time.

People that actually do this stuff don't usually bother with a ground bracelet. You have to get up all the time and chances of a static charge happening and causing damage are so small.

I get the paranoia. It's deserved for certain applications but this stuff not so much. I love the the trend now of people who don't give a fuck anymore. You get all these cool projects that ship bare pcbs between some acrylic and call it good. It looks awesome. Fuck you paranoid fucks.

Just have a tiny bit of competency and it's fine.
>>
>>3096904
Have you ever used a dremel before, anon?
There are plenty of polishing and soft tips. Quality of the video is so shitty I can't see what he's using.

If anything, I'm just annoyed by the fact that he's trying all that shit instead of just using some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs.
>>
>>3097832
He looks to be using a wire brush...
>>
>>3097832
It's a pcb man. Any kind of power tool like that is ridiculous.

These 20+ year old pieces of fiberglass need to be babied.
>>
>>3097832
Looks like a brass brush, which is fairly soft, but I wouldn't do that to any of my games.
The way I clean badly corroded contacts is quad zero steel wool, but people here think that's still too rough.
>>
>>3098206
I call bringing in a latex pencil eraser the 'big guns'
>>
>>3096985
Really, what's wrong with his method?
>>
>>3098329
it's essentially like brushing your teeth with a belt sander.
>>
>>3098336
>it's essentially like brushing your teeth with a belt sander.
that's basically what they do when you go to a dentist, you know...
>>
>>3098381
My teeth aren't expected to play Mighty Bomb Jack though.
>>
>>3098321
You guys must buy mint condition games.
Just yesterday I found a copy of Gradius 3 for Super Nintendo for $3 at a flea market.
Got it home and it wouldn't play, one side of the gold plated contacts were green in places, and 0000 steel wool was what made it work.
There are still some spots on it, but the rest of the gold is still there.
Funny thing is it had sticker residue from a local used game store and I know they only clean the games they sell with q tip and rubbing alcohol.
>>
>>3098336
Most toothpaste have abrasive particles in them.
>>
>>3098381

Your teeth remineralize between dentist visits. A PCB doesn't have any similar capability.
>>
>>3098443
its copper with an ultra thin layer of niquel or gold or something else.

if a contact pin was all green and wouldnt conduct, it was probably on the copper layer already and you did what could be done, but the situation only happened in the first place because some moron thought to use some abrasive method before selling to the used games store, for the cart to look more well cared for.

i hope you didnt remove the protective ayers of all contacts by brushing the whole thing
>>
>>3097832
>If anything, I'm just annoyed by the fact that he's trying all that shit instead of just using some rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs.

This, although erasers actually work fine for cleaning pins. However you have to use one of those that does NOT leave a mark. If your eraser leaves a mark, then use alcohol to clean it up.

I use both an eraser and alcohol.
>>
>>3102392
You know that the cart connector is made of metal and scratches the pins normally through use.
So your solution is to just not play games so they don't wear out.
>>
>>3102736
Normal use isn't going to wear the entire fucking pin such that the whole thing degrades uniformly like that, you youtubing moron.
>>
>>3098336
No your teeth are brushed abrasively. The difference is teeth regenerate and game carts, as nonliving things, do not.
>>
>>3096904
>Summoning gore thread
>Shudder Chills>>3096979
>>
>>3102751
The only part that matters is half of the pins that makes contact with the cart connector, which was the green part in my case.
How these games are stored can definitely make a difference too.
>>
>>3096904
>watching youtube videos about old games
fag
>>
>>3102852
>>3102736
Fair points i guess

So vr is it about time we start using an e.v.a rubbber protector on the pins ?

I saw eva because its easy to get a roll with width and thickness that fits inside the cart

and u can just cut a slit in it and slide into the carts pins. Additionally fold a plastic over pins so that tubber insertion doest even cause friciton
>>
>>3104719
What's wrong with a good ol' dust sleeve?
>>
>>3098387
lulz
>>
>>3105753
manyn dont use them they just shelve the carts.. besides, an abrased pin inside a cart case that isnt airtight will still go green, while a piece of rubber pressing against it will take oxidation rate to a small percentage, good for a couple decades
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.