[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /vr I need some help. I bought a 65inch 4K tv a few months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Okay /vr I need some help. I bought a 65inch 4K tv a few months ago and because I was right about to move, had all my retro stuff in storage. Now that I'm at my new place, I went to set it all up only to find out that my systems can't be recognized by the tv.

Any kind of workaround for this so I can get back to gaming with my retro stuff on this tv?
>>
>4k
I miss when 4chan wasn't full of normies.
>>
You might need an upscaler.
>>
File: framemeister.jpg (112 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
framemeister.jpg
112 KB, 960x720
>>3095519
>>
that's a weird looking crt
>>
>>3095524
>doesn't think 4k is the way to go
>poorfag
>>
>>3095540
Only thing is that's a pretty expensive workaround. Is it that significantly better than another thing to be worth all the money?
>>
>>3095540

Don't get this.

Just go to the free section on your local CL and you'll see a lot of people giving away CRT TVs.
>>
>>3095541
I've considered just buying a crt on Craigslist just for the retro gaming. Don't know where I'd put it though. Might end up going that route if I can't find an alternative to get it to work on the 4k
>>
>>3095542
8k is around the corner.

There's zero 4k displays worth a shit for gaming. Display port was only updated this year to handle 120hz.

Flashy numbers to attract retards like yourself.
>>
>>3095519
Modern TVs aren't gonna accept a 240p signal. You would know that if you bothered doing the slightest bit of research beforehand, dickhead. Good job.
>>
>>3095556
Don't tell me 8k is around the corner when 1080p isn't even the standard yet. 4k will be the next standard for gaming/movies, and 8k years from now. Plus if I can afford to buy this now, why wouldn't I?
>>
>>3095558
I'll accept that, it was an impulse buy and I should have thought about it more. Nonetheless, I'm trying to find a way to make it work now that I'm at this point
>>
>>3095561
>4k will be the next standard for gaming/movies
Good luck with that when both Dell and Apple have 5k displays.
Last year 8k monitors were displayed as well as this year.

4k is going to be the same thing as 720p. A shitty in between resolution.
>>
>>3095519
buy a framemeister since you obviously need something plug and play (you can find it cheaper on yahoo japan auctions 'XRGB mini")

youre only option is an upscaler (not a shitty one) or to emulate with your wii

http://retrorgb.com/upscalers.html
this (and the linked sites) have all the info you need

why did you think 20 year old consoles would work with 4k?
>>
>>3095546
I'm a CRT-lover, but I bought a framemeister out of curiosity, and I'm really impressed. It works very well, and is definitely worth the money. If you can afford it, do it. I'm not sure if you're the kind of person who will notice the difference, but I certainly did. The most recent firmware update allows for display profiles to be saved on a micro-SD card, so it makes optimizing for different systems super easy.

>>3095553
As I've said before, I love my CRT, but there's some games that just benefit from being on a bigger screen, and I like having the option to use both of my TVs for games. That said, I really can't recommend you get a CRT as another TV, especially since now, most CRTs you're going to be digging up will be used, abused and possibly just plain bad. Unless you're going to dedicate that time and effort to building an RGB monitor set-up (which is a LOT of time and effort, and expensive unless you're lucky, if you wanna do it right), I would honestly just get the framemeister. You won't regret it, and even if you do, just put it up on ebay for about 10 bucks less than you bought it for. Someone will buy it.
>>
>>3095564
If you have the money for jp21 cables and the unit .the framemeister is the best. If you're a cheap bastard, just want to game decently and the tv has component inputs find a YPbPr capable line doubler. The tv should be able to do decent 480p scaling.

Also why does everyone always buy a big tv and no audio equip? Phenomenal cosmic POWER, eety-beety living space.
>>
>>3095546
>Buys a 65" 4k HDTV
>Thinks a $300 upscaler is expensive
>>
File: image.png (283 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
283 KB, 750x1334
Why wouldn't something like this work?
>>
>>3095609
"work" is a subjective term
>>
>>3095561
1080p is absolutely the standard right now.
>>
>>3095572
>>3095561
You guys should know that cable and satellite companies don't even have the infrastructure in place to run 4K out to customers yet, much less 8K.
The amount of data throughput required for 4K+ is too much for anything BUT home PCs to handle. And even Netflix/Hulu don't have the ability to stream 4K out yet.
None of the current console offerings can output their games at 4K(though with the PS4 it's theoretically possible).
Proper utilization of such high resolutions is a long way off. The tech exists, the infrastructure does not.
>>
>>3095620
Most games operate 1080p but can barely keep 20fps, sometimes 30. Broadcasting has nothing in 1080p. Only online streaming and bluray give true 1080p now. None of these industries would be ready or able to make a jump to 8k for quite some time
>>
>>3095615
I'm guessing lag would be the biggest problem. How much are we talking? A half second? A full second?

Would it render the games essentially unplayable?
>>
>>3095593
>Also why does everyone always buy a big tv and no audio equip? Phenomenal cosmic POWER, eety-beety living space.
And also, THIS.
FFS sound should come before TV size.
>>
>>3095630
My tower speakers are in the other room holding up my PS3 in there so my toddler doesn't reach it. Don't have a stand for that room yet. Sound system will be coming in here as soon as the place gets more finished
>>
>>3095629
it will look like shit too
>>
>>3095542
>>3095556
>>3095561

Bro. You jumped the gun.

4K is the future for sure, but 1080p isn't going anywhere yet. Hell, a lot of TV shows aren't even in full 1080p, most consoles are some bastardized level between 720 and 1080 anyways, for god knows why.

You should always wait a few years after tech comes out. Your brand new TV is going to be running stuff below it's specs and when 4K is finally widespread TV's will be half the price.
>>
>>3095636
If you have a proper a/v receiver just plug the games into that for a quick fix. You never answered if the set has analog inputs.
>>3095630
Those are all shit and most are locked to 16:9.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>3095660
This Yamaha is my receiver. Think I could just plug into here then into the tv?
>>
>>3095556
>tfw I just bought my first 1080p display this year
>>
>>3095519
I got one of these worked pretty well http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Composite-Video-Audio-Converter/dp/B00HY8IYJU
>>
File: 1459138611019-1547820429.jpg (392 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1459138611019-1547820429.jpg
392 KB, 2048x1152
>>3095676
Yep, looks like it's composite only but hook your cables to the back and hdmi to the tv. You may have to mess with stuff in the setup to get it to work well. Better than a chinabox.

Download the user manual if you don't have one.
>>
>>3095519
4k TV are notoriously bad with faces. Have your 4k spend some time with your systems and repeat their names frequently. It should be able to recognize them after a while.
Or use your words to tell us what you're doing and we'll tell you what you're doing wrong.

>>3095524
I miss when /vr/ wasn't full of frogfags
>>
>>3095704
Dud3 sorry bad info, your amp hasvideo inputs but no hdmi conversion :(.

"For a budget receiver, there are a good number of inputs included. There are two component video and three composite video inputs with matching outputs. At this price point, there isn't any video upconverstion to HDMI included or expected. "
>>
http://retrorgb.com/upscalers.html

/Thread.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.