[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun establish the Beat'em up genre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Kunioo.png (513 KB, 3840x3840) Image search: [Google]
Kunioo.png
513 KB, 3840x3840
Did Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun establish the Beat'em up genre or were there other games before that?
>>
>>3094617
Looks like a ripoff of Renegade if anything
>>
>>3094627
Low quality bait, here's your (You)
>>
Imagine having a game publishing company back in the 80s and 90s that brought Japanese exclusive games to the NES? Kunio Kun would be a massive hit. They were crazy to localize the few that made it so heavily. Should have been a massively popular franchise. Could have made big money.
>>
>>3094657
Explain?
>>
>>3094617
the only kunio game i've played is river city ransom so my opinion may be wrong but the rpg like elements make it a hybrid and not a "true" b'mup. When I think of old beat em' ups Double Dragon is the first that comes to mind.
>>
>>3094675
Everyone loved River City Ransom. People loved Super Dodgeball. Some enjoyed Renegade.

But what about the other titles in the series? Insane Super Dodgeball style slam dunks in the basketball title, insane gameplay in the hockey title, insane gameplay in the cross country combat title, insane gameplay in the track and field title, insane gameplay in the true sequel to River City Ransom where it takes place in Edo style samurai times, insane gameplay in the soccer game, insane gameplay in the second soccer game, insane gameplay in the tournament fighter.

They could have made bank releasing these. Big fun.
>>
>>3094723
You mean the game made after Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Kun by the same company
>>
File: 1383794220674.gif (341 KB, 320x289) Image search: [Google]
1383794220674.gif
341 KB, 320x289
>>3094617
>>
>>3094617
Welp, yes and no.

Kunio Kun, and lets be real here, the first two double dragons MIGHT have been put the beat em up genre on the basic idea, but it was Capcom who made beat em ups good with final fight.
>>
What about Kung Fu
>>
>>3094898
>let's be real here, I'm not gonna let facts get in the way of my opinions
>>
File: ffcd.jpg (96 KB, 450x633) Image search: [Google]
ffcd.jpg
96 KB, 450x633
>>3094913

Too primitive. It was basically just a 2D side-scroller like any shmup or platformer before that, except you punched and kicked instead.

Renegade added belt-scrolling which defined the beat'em up genre from then on. You could move all over the place, up, down, left, right, diagonally, etc.

You could double-tap to run, you had tons of moves and combos like running attacks, jumping attacks, jumping on your enemy when he's down, wall-jumping, kicking and punching in either direction (rather than just in front of you), stunning your opponent and being able to hold him then throw him (sometimes off the stage). You had actual weapons, and lots of variety in terms of enemies and environments. You fought multiple enemies that could surround you at the same time, so instead of just dealing with one or two enemies running at you from one direction like in Kung-Fu, you had to deal with the concept of crowd control which defines the genre.

Games like Kung Fu or Karateka could be considered beat 'em ups but OP is right in saying that Renegade is the game that established the genre as it came to be known with games like Double Dragon and Final Fight in arcades, and then on 16-bit consoles.

It also looks really impressive for a 1986 game.
>>
>>3094617
Kung Fu/Spartan X was the first if we mean single plane

Kunio was revolutionary for its movement plane
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.