[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OpenTTD is dying.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-Openttdlogo.svg.png (215 KB, 2000x1938) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Openttdlogo.svg.png
215 KB, 2000x1938
Why is OpenTTD dying?
Over the course of 6 years i noticed slow decreas ein the amount of people playing this game.
Less and less public servers, mostly empty now.
Is this precious gem slowly subsiding into the abyss?
It's hard for me to believe that only like 60 people on earth play at the same time.
>>
I wonder how many of the players actually died
>>
>>3091053
I play offline yet
>>
>>3091095
That's sad, and pretty big thing when considering retro games, fanbase just, goes away...
>>
People could be playing offline. That's all i do.
>>
Since it's OpenTTD thread, I'll ask there.
How to git gud in rail building?
>>
>>3092035

Autism.
>>
>>3091053
>game desynchronizes every now and then
>client-side actions suffer from lag
>server must stay up at all times
>upgrading to electric railways is extremely tedious
>detonating and replanting all trees is a better way to gain good standing than bribes
>cargo pricing is ridiculous
>computer players are terrible
I like the game, but that's what happened last time I played it.
>>
>>3092318
>game desynchronizes every now and then
happened like 3 times in my lifetime
>server must stay up at all times
what do you mean by this? server cna save its state and resume later, we did that with friends.
>client-side actions suffer from lag
nope
>upgrading to electric railways is extremely tedious
you mean fro electric to monofail or from monofail to maglev, yea, it cna take up to two ingame years, but it's pretty realistic that way, makes sense to me.
>detonating and replanting all trees is a better way to gain good standing than bribes
that's pretty big flaw, but who cares, it's not the piint of the gam,e you don't need too often to bribe in order to claim land
>cargo pricing is ridiculous
wat?
>computer players are terrible
well, it's for for AI to be good at this gamem, real ppl struggle to.
>>
>>3093584
bemp
>>
Was there ever any good successor to TTD?
>>
>>3095769
All the cool kids play OpenRCT now family. Multiplayer is fun as fuck
>>
>>3095769
Locomotion is okay
Train Fever is pretty fun for 3D trains, but not as deep as OpenTTD.
>>
>>3096052
But RCT is totally different from TTD, well the engine might work in a similar fasion, but whole idea is different.
>>
>>3096056
It looks good, but hell, it's almost as old as TTD...
Current generation only indulges into shitty shooters and creepy games... sad.
>>
>>3091053
Then do something. Get it on Steam via greenlight. Kickstarter for 100 bucks fee shouldn't be hard to accomplish (and it will get the game some publicity so more people will rediscover it).
>>
>>3096085
You can get your indepenedent games onto steam for $100? Didn't know it.
Also wouldn't there be some problems regarding copyright laws as it is a clone of other game?
>>
>>3096089
I have no idea. There are lawyers specializing in videogame law, though.
http://morrisonlee.com/practice-areas/
Maybe email them?

I mean, from what I gather, OpenTTD is fully open source, and doesn't contain any actual assets from TTD - and even game logic is different from original, so I seriously doubt any actual risk of lawsuit.

Also Greenlight means that you get a CHANCE at getting your game on Steam - people will then proceed to vote for games, and certain amount of votes means you "pass". However, in addition to the fact that this game has a community, I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of people played Transport Tycoon as a kids and would be nostalgic for it - and the fact that game will be free will attract others.
Between tycoon fans, retro fans, and nostalgia I'd say chances would perhaps be not too bad.

The biggest issue would be getting the game to work with Steam overlay - I'm assuming it would require to create a fork with hybrid licensing - actual code of the game would be still open source, but integration into Steam API (achievements, playtime, Steam overlay - that ingame browser thing) would be propietary with all right reserved to Valve.

But I doubt it would be hard crowdsourcing some programmers.

Idk, just a loose idea. But maybe it could happen, who knows?
>>
>>3096056
Deer god, i've just installed locomotion, it's terrible, i mean graphics are nnice oldschool, but it cannot run in a window plus it's 20 years old. Brrr.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.