[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /vr/ prefer cassettes or CDs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
File: cdcass.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cdcass.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
Does /vr/ prefer cassettes or CDs?
>>
carts
>>
File: IMG_2568[1].jpg (243 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2568[1].jpg
243 KB, 1600x1200
>>3089060
Didn't only Japan call them cassettes? Unless you mean the few systems that actually used cassette tapes as a storage medium, but you use a cartridge in your pic, so I will assume not.
>>
Carts with exception of most sega since they put capacitors in them that die early.

CDs are too easy to scratch.
>>
>>3089106
that probably explains why my columns cartridge doesnt work anymore. cleaned the fuck out of the contacts, pristine clean but it doesnt work.
>>
cdeez nuts
>>
>>3089070
Back in the day some people use to call the NES tapes I shit you not.
I remember hearing people say this a lot.
>>
Cds but the way flash storage is going these days I wouldn't carts becoming standard again.
>>
>>3089060
neither.
UHD-BR or SD cards.
>>
>>3089228
imagine OP wasn't retarded (it's true, there are people out there that are not braindead, no matter how much you think you're superior to them) and simply asked for chip storage vs. optical storage, technically correct shithead, and answer the damn question
>>
Carts are almost indestructible and good looking, CDs were a mistake.
>>
>>3089249
optical discs hold more and more linearly oriented data, which was their only plus point, and it's not much of a point for games, which have no need for large amounts of linear data. They're worse for games in absolutely every other aspect. So obviously we moved to use them almost exclusively. It gave birth to the overuse of the FMV or cutscene, created the whole concept of cinematic experience. Sony started it, and has been furthering it with every single generation of their system (DVD, BD), which are, without exception, excellent media players, and godawful gaming systems
>>
>>3089128
Yep. If you can solder, swap the caps and it'll probably work.
>>
>>3089060

Cartridges ideally, but they have a number of issues that bug me. Cartridges for Nintendo platforms were usually grayish and severely prone to oxidation / discoloration. Then there were issues with label damage. NES cartridges were unnecessarily bulky on top of that.

Sega had the right idea for the most part. Game Gear cartridges possibly had the best design philosophy overall. Then there were GBA cartridges with their even smaller form factor.

Optical media was too prone to data corruption as a result of surface damage. I also hated the introduction of FMV sequences. They added nothing of value to the video game industry and resulted in needless multi-disc swapping in some cases.

I never cared for Flash cards for that matter. They're too prone to random failures.
>>
I prefer CDs. The only real advantage carts have is durability but if you aren't retarded and put discs back in a case when not in use they'll last pretty long.
>>
>>3089375
>The only real advantage carts have is durability
and seek time
and throughput
and the ability to memory map
and the ability to save states in the same place as the game itself
and the ability to include new functions via integrated hardware

The only real advantage CDs have is size, which is a questionable advantage, when you look at how the extra space is used. I do not count price as an advantage, because it's not passed on to the player
>>
carts, typically. they're cheaper to collect for because i don't care about getting the box as much. hate getting discs without the box.
>>
>>3089387
Memory map (mappers) just means extra rom space.
>>
>>3089394
I'm not talking about mapper chips, I'm talking about the ability to map the cart to memory, as opposed to having to "load" data from the medium into memory
>>
>>3089060
I prefer neural wetware shims.
>>
>>3089340
You're insulting another person's intelligence on a given topic! I guess that makes you even more knowledgeable (no demonstration necessary). You're cool!
>>
>>3089231
Magnetic storage for life.
>>
Where does bofa fit into all dis
>>
>>3089256
You're underestimating the importance of cheap, high-capacity storage media. The industry shifted to disks as the standard because solid-state media, while orders of magnitude faster and more reliable, was also significantly more expensive. more storage space meant bigger games with higher-quality art assets than cartridge-based games, while being significanty less expensive at the same time. The only noticeable drawback from a consumer standpoint is load times, but those can be masked and mitigated with clever programming tricks. Disks were just the better option at the time, period.

Nowadays, solid state media would probably make more sense given how rapidly the technology has progressed over the past 10 years of so, but digital distribution is rapidly eclipsing physical media, so I highly doubt we'll ever see a shift back to cartridges or anything similar.
>>
File: back2.jpg (77 KB, 675x449) Image search: [Google]
back2.jpg
77 KB, 675x449
>>3089060
Game Paks
>>
>>3089695
>more storage space meant bigger games
Games are still fairly small in terms of game logic

>was also significantly more expensive
That price was directly passed on to the customer, the publisher ate very little of that, the developer ate none of it. Meanwhile, modern game dev is the most expensive it ever was. What drives the costs? The non-game components, mocap, actors, scripting. Size is not even a blip on the cost radar.

>higher-quality art assets
The most un-game components of games. Publishers love shoving textures, audio and video/cutscenes into games, because they're so linear and simple in their nature. You can throw artists at it, instead of developers, and they're easy to wow people, so they don't recognize the puddle-shallow gameplay underneath.

>The only noticeable drawback from a consumer standpoint is load times
GTA 3 was a challenge for the hardware it's on. It's "trivial" for a cartridge. Sandbox games happened DESPITE discs.

>those can be masked and mitigated with clever programming tricks
You know what makes game dev expensive? Workarounds, lots of them.

>Disks were just the better option at the time
Oh, they still are. They're by far the best medium .... for sequentially read data. FMV, audio playback, movies, linear levels, all these things work perfectly with discs. And they're all hallmarks of terrible modern game design.

So, you got to ask yourself: Do you want cheap cinematic experiences, or games? I want the latter, and discs are bad for that.
>>
File: OTHERmarioCase01-50.jpg (43 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
OTHERmarioCase01-50.jpg
43 KB, 800x600
>>3089713
>>
File: Cartridges_big.jpg (141 KB, 1382x460) Image search: [Google]
Cartridges_big.jpg
141 KB, 1382x460
>>3089713
>>3089717
>tfw
>>
Discs were the beginning of the end for Video Games.
>>
>>3089715
>Games are still fairly small in terms of game logic
The english version of FF6 was full of weird spelling discrepancies (fenix down, for instance) because they literally ran out of space on the cartridge and had to cut corners. You're underestimating how important storage space is

>That price was directly passed on to the customer
And you don't see how this would be a problem? Joe the consumer is looking into buying a console. He sees the disk-based console has full-motion video, fully orchestrated soundtrack, spoken dialog, and games that look more realistic. The cartridge-based system has synthesized music, no spoken dialog, and worse-looking games. Joe then looks at the price of games and sees that the disk system's games cost $10 less than the cartridge games. Joe is a smart consumer, and knows that if he buys a lot of games, that difference in price will pretty quickly end up saving him more money than he spent on the system. As an added bonus, Joe can use the disk system for things other than gaming. Joe the consumer realizes that there's basically no reason for him to buy the cartridge system, and buys the disk system. The company that made the disk system makes money hand-over-fist while the cartridge system's company makes a pittance, because the vast majority of people think like Joe. Claiming that there's no cost to the publisher suggests you have no grasp on simple economics.
>>
File: Papertape2.jpg (371 KB, 2021x1035) Image search: [Google]
Papertape2.jpg
371 KB, 2021x1035
>>3089070
Cassette and cartridge are pretty much the same thing: a container.
Tape might also refer to different kind of storage medium like punched tape though as far as /vr/ is concerned magnetic tape is the thing that matters most.
>>
>>3089764
Can you confirm somewhere that they were running out of space, and not just subject to the exact same character count the japanese original had, because they were swapping out constants in the compiled data, and couldn't change string lengths?

>And you don't see how this would be a problem?
No, not at all. I get more game for the money. You're assuming the price of the game goes up, I assume the production costs go down, as prices are usually set at psychological levels.
You're describing Joe as not being interested in games, so I don't know how that's relevant in an exchange about games.

>Joe can use the disk system for things other than gaming
not familiar with the unix philosophy, I take it
>>
>>3089764
> The english version of FF6 was full of weird spelling discrepancies (fenix down, for instance) because they literally ran out of space on the cartridge and had to cut corners. You're underestimating how important storage space is
I remember interview from Rare Replay how they made Conker's Bad Fur Day, they told they cut someareas to fit the game on the cartridge, IIRC.
>>
>>3089776
>prices are usually set at psychological levels.
..What? That is not at all how it woks. prices of goods are set based on maximizing profit margins, not because somebody decides that a certain price "feels right." Multiplatform games released on both the PS1 and N64 were roughly $10 more expensive on the N64 side because the cartridges were more expensive to produce than Disks were.

And please, stop spouting this nonsense about how Disks led to worse game design. You're jumping to an illogical conclusion because it supports your argument. As you yourself said, GTA was made to work on disk-based systems despite cartridges being more suited to that style of game. You know why? because you can make any game on a disk-based system that you could on a cartridge-based system. Period. Game design didn't change because the shift to disks meant developers couldn't make the games they wanted to anymore, it changed because the market demanded games that weren't economically feasible with then-current cartridge technology.
>>
>>3089821
>That is not at all how it woks
Right, things are $49.95 because that's maximizing profit margins, unlike $50, or $50.31. Next step after $49.95 is $54.95 or $59.99, leading to the "roughly $10 more" you mention. That's the psychological levels.

>the market demanded
The market demanded very little. Publishers focused on, and marketed, certain games, because they're less risky to develop, and easier to market. Both fairly important aspects when the development costs are skyrocketing.
>>
>>3089821
>you can make any game on a disk-based system that you could on a cartridge-based system
So much wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to start
>>
File: Ced_disk.jpg (420 KB, 1280x1032) Image search: [Google]
Ced_disk.jpg
420 KB, 1280x1032
>>3089060
Neither. The Capacitance Electronic Disc is the best.

http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/nfl.html
>>
>>3089130
Yeah, but do you like the yankees or the rockies?
>>
>>3089060
>cassettes
>>
File: KEIO.png (68 KB, 690x398) Image search: [Google]
KEIO.png
68 KB, 690x398
Discs.

I can create disk images and emulate while keeping the original discs in pristine condition for special occasions.
>>
Cartridges.

Load times are for fags, and I don't care about FMV's or streamed CD music. Also less durability.
>>
File: 1439233300091.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
1439233300091.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>>3090517
>under 500 watchable plays during the life of the disc
Tech is cool but not that great
>>
File: Action_Max_games-1_small.jpg (23 KB, 300x238) Image search: [Google]
Action_Max_games-1_small.jpg
23 KB, 300x238
vhs best format. hi fidelity.
>>
>>3089060
I kekd thanks op
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.